User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 10:46   #1
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
restrictions

allow usage of;

using ' or some other stuff in r/p's. stop being fascist

using [] in gal names. stop being fascist

humour. stop being fascist

swearing, pa isn't a family game

go back to free for all alliance/gal score rules. alliance jumping is a valid tactic, this is a war game not a ****ing 'KISS EACH OTHER ON THE CHEEK AND FLIP A COIN TO SEE WHO HAS TO LAUNCH FIRST' sortof shit. same with gals. it's only fair

stop this donation limit to alliance fund, that's beyond ****ing annoying and retarded - there is no support planet rule anymore, so this should be fine to do

and probably a whole lot of other stuff i can't think of right now. BASICALLY what i am hinting at is: make planetarion as open-ended as possible (and yes, i know most of my suggestions aren't really gameplay related)

Last edited by wakey; 20 Feb 2007 at 15:04.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 10:56   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: restrictions

Considering a few of the things I've heard people be (and been myself) warned for this round I'd have to agree on the humour/swearing issue.
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 10:59   #3
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

remove exiling limits for gals to have to wait 48 or whatever it is ticks too, STOP FORCING BEHAVIOUR - let people choose
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 11:37   #4
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

They changed my galname cause it contained the word "boobies".

BOOBIES ARE BIRDS NATIVE TO THE GALAPAGOS ISLANDS ****S SAKE!

And hooters are owls.

And tits are small birds.
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 12:49   #5
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharur
They changed my galname cause it contained the word "boobies".

BOOBIES ARE BIRDS NATIVE TO THE GALAPAGOS ISLANDS ****S SAKE!

And hooters are owls.

And tits are small birds.
And context? This is a family game despite what Jerome thinks. There are 13 year olds in alliances and probably younger not.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 12:55   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
And context? This is a family game despite what Jerome thinks. There are 13 year olds in alliances and probably younger not.
There's an international restaurant chain named Hooters which displays its signs in public which somehow avoids condemnation from the international brigade of people who know better than you so I don't really see why the words have to be banned in PA.
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 14:21   #7
anImaru
I want an avatar!

anImaru will become famous soon enoughanImaru will become famous soon enough

All of these would make th PAverse a better place
anImaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 14:22   #8
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

using ' or some other stuff in r/p's. stop being fascist <--- Yes

using [] in gal names. stop being fascist <--- Yes

humour. stop being fascist <--- Yes

swearing, pa isn't a family game . <--- No, even though it is the internet people are still offended by it, which it could be argued would then make the owner of the game, Jolt look bad in that person's eyes.

go back to free for all alliance/gal score rules. alliance jumping is a valid tactic, this is a war game not a ****ing 'KISS EACH OTHER ON THE CHEEK AND FLIP A COIN TO SEE WHO HAS TO LAUNCH FIRST' sortof shit. same with gals. it's only fair <--- No, I like this way and it is seriously annoying for smaller allies to have their largest players all leave on the last day, ruining your round.

stop this donation limit to alliance fund, that's beyond ****ing annoying and retarded - there is no support planet rule anymore, so this should be fine to do <--- No, this would be abused by allies trying to get thier player the #1 spot.

remove exiling limits for gals to have to wait 48 or whatever it is ticks too, STOP FORCING BEHAVIOUR - let people choose <--- I see why this is done but I have no opinion either way on the issue.

Last edited by wakey; 20 Feb 2007 at 15:04.
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 14:31   #9
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
stop this donation limit to alliance fund, that's beyond ****ing annoying and retarded - there is no support planet rule anymore, so this should be fine to do <--- No, this would be abused by allies trying to get thier player the #1 spot.
No, he said donation limit - as in the amount you can donate at once. You can still only donate to the lower half in value (I think).

P.S. In favour of all these suggestions but I doubt it will make anything happen.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 14:36   #10
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
No, he said donation limit - as in the amount you can donate at once. You can still only donate to the lower half in value (I think).

P.S. In favour of all these suggestions but I doubt it will make anything happen.
hmm. With the current XP game I don't think it would it be possible for allies to store huge res and get a small player up. As long as it is still only the bottom half I am fine with it.
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 14:43   #11
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I think debate is warranted on the technical game issues presented. I personally have no issues with the first two points, I like the current score system and hence personally don't want to remove it, and on the final issue of donations - just becuase there is no support planet rule as such, doesn't mean that we shouldn't have game mechanics that dictate play style - a rule is only needed when game mechanics don't dictate play style.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art

Last edited by Appocomaster; 20 Feb 2007 at 17:17.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 15:03   #12
Almeida

Almeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to behold

from an economical point of view:

you rather satisfy 11-14 year olds who don't have a CC to pay than those who are paying: great strategy, wonder if Jolt will keep PA running when u succeded and only non paying babies play it.

or wait; i got another great idea; give the ships names like: pooh bear, mickey mouse, donald duck, etc. u can attract even younger players with that!!! ah damn, they can't pay neither :/
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 15:26   #13
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida
from an economical point of view:

you rather satisfy 11-14 year olds who don't have a CC to pay than those who are paying: great strategy, wonder if Jolt will keep PA running when u succeded and only non paying babies play it.

or wait; i got another great idea; give the ships names like: pooh bear, mickey mouse, donald duck, etc. u can attract even younger players with that!!! ah damn, they can't pay neither :/
You may have noticed that our current strategy invovled making free accounts better - we want people to use thoose free accounts and to be able to enjoy the game. If they start playing young, some will get hooked and carry on. I know plenty of the current veterans started playing the game when they were pretty young.

I also know a lot of parents who would happily pay for their children to play a game if they knew the environment would be safe. I have promoted the game at many events I have attended and it really saddens me that when people ask if their their child should play the game that I have to answer no becuase I know what some aspects of the community are like.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 15:36   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

As regards donations a simple, and friendly enough, addition would be to change the way donations work so if you're breaking the limit instead of refusing it it lets you donate as much as you can and then tells you how much you just donated afterwards. Having to change donation amounts (especially when it refuses the m quantity and then the c an then the e) is just beyond frustrating.
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 15:48   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
As regards donations a simple, and friendly enough, addition would be to change the way donations work so if you're breaking the limit instead of refusing it it lets you donate as much as you can and then tells you how much you just donated afterwards. Having to change donation amounts (especially when it refuses the m quantity and then the c an then the e) is just beyond frustrating.
good idea.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:22   #16
jerome

Quote:
<--- No, even though it is the internet people are still offended by it, which it could be argued would then make the owner of the game, Jolt look bad in that person's eyes.
the world is not a utopia and it never will be. i'm sick of every little politically correct idiot trying to protect innocence that DOES NOT EXIST. i am offended by pateam's fascist stances and nepotism, why am i not protected against these things?

Quote:
No, I like this way and it is seriously annoying for smaller allies to have their largest players all leave on the last day, ruining your round.
tough luck, provide a better environment for your players then. this is a war game not a kiddie playground where you're not allowed to do things because it may hurt others. don't get me wrong i DO understand where you're coming from, i just don't agree that you should be protected at the cost of free choice

Quote:
<--- No, this would be abused by allies trying to get thier player the #1 spot.
i did mean donating to ally fund's limit but even donating to planet limits on value should be removed - so what if an alliance donates to #1? since when has a #1 planet shown that he was a best player? just best manipulator/alliance, and again this would still be the case IF that happened.

kal: you may not want to sound like a moneysucking marketing/advertising goon in the future. unfriendly advice right there, free too. and you shouldn't be aiming at 11-14 year olds anyway, this is a text based web browser game dude.. 7 years ago yeah it was sort of new, but you're really not going to keep kids interested in any reasonable numbers with a game such as PA, in all honesty.
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:27   #17
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Some people who should know better are behaving in a stupid way. I don't care if you want to do that on GD, but on this forum certain standards obtain.

If you have a suggestion to make, make it in a calm manner, explaining the evidence in favour of your suggestion. If you wish to comment on a suggestion, engage your brain and offer reasonable opinions. Ad hominem attacks - attacking the individual posting rather than their ideas - are pointless and will be deleted. Personal insults will also be deleted. It's not hard to grasp, and 99% of the posters on the forum seem to manage it. Nobody is above the rules, no matter who you are or what your reputation elsewhere may be (in an alliance, forum or even PAteam).

I am not saying this in order to favour any particular 'side' in the debate, merely to facilitate a proper debate. We do not get anywhere when most of the posts consist of sarcastic one-liners, '**** yous' or pointlessly obscure in-jokes. There are some legitimate complaints from various people about the attitude towards 'offensive' content, but the solution to that problem is not to be as offensive as possible in the hope of goading others into overreaction.

To those who can't see what the fuss is about: you can't see the deleted posts, and I can. Apologies for wasting your time with this post.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:28   #18
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I've pruned this thread as it was getting out of hand. I apoligise for the heavy handedness in some cases and I'll take up some of the mentioned issues in pm.

Whilst the point was raised poorly, it's still valid.
It mainly addresses the way that the game is constructed, and its target audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer
allow usage of;

using ' or some other stuff in r/p's.
Can't for security reasons.
Quote:
using [] in gal names.
I think the issue is that by default the code uses the same thing to strip characters out of the names. [ ] are therefore removed to stop confusion with protection in planet / ruler names. It might be possible to change this.

Quote:
humour.
You're mistaking humour for swearing / "mock" prejudice, which often doesn't carry well online.
Quote:
Debatable, but I know that many of the "non GD" area of the game object to the majority of swearing.

Quote:
go back to free for all alliance/gal score rules. alliance jumping is a valid tactic, this is a war game.
same with gals. it's only fair
This is a gameplay issue, as mentioned above.

Quote:
stop this donation limit to alliance fund, that's beyond annoying and retarded - there is no support planet rule anymore, so this should be fine to do

and probably a whole lot of other stuff i can't think of right now. BASICALLY what i am hinting at is: make planetarion as open-ended as possible (and yes, i know most of my suggestions aren't really gameplay related)
Basically what you're saying is that anything should go? anything allowed by the rough game mechanics should work, instead of patching what many of the community percieve to be "cheating" (e.g. keeping artificially low value by keeping ships in production over the tick a few rounds ago)?

Edit: I do appreciate the irony of me totally modding this thread considering its topic.

Last edited by Appocomaster; 20 Feb 2007 at 17:46.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:29   #19
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
kal: you may not want to sound like a moneysucking marketing/advertising goon in the future. unfriendly advice right there, free too. and you shouldn't be aiming at 11-14 year olds anyway, this is a text based web browser game dude.. 7 years ago yeah it was sort of new, but you're really not going to keep kids interested in any reasonable numbers with a game such as PA, in all honesty.
Text based browser games arn't exactly attractive to any market though, not just 11-14 year olds. I do however know of quite a few young people who are addicited to things that arn't that different from PA - sure they have a slightly more uptodate interface and better graphics, but they arn't a mile away.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:43   #20
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
allow usage of;

using ' or some other stuff in r/p's. stop being fascist

using [] in gal names. stop being fascist
Good idea.

Quote:
humour. stop being fascist
Humour is subjective, and not getting the joke does not equate to being 'fascist' (whenever I hear that insult used, I am reminded of Neil from The Young Ones ). What should the boundaries be, given that 'but it's a joke!' can't be an excuse for every possible thing that people might say? Some people in the PA community have a particularly, err, highly developed sense of humour which others do not share. What might be side-splittingly hilarious to you or I might be offensive or crass to others. There has to be a line somewhere, as a matter of common courtesy to others if nothing less. The line has been drawn in the wrong place at times, but we need to decide where it should be placed and 'nowhere' is not an option.

Quote:
I'm not sure about this. Is 'tits' ok? How about mother****er? ****? There are various 'rude' words which might be banned in certain contexts. Personally, I think that the best solution is to ban in-game use of genuinely offensive words and sexual imagery; I don't really see the need for people to use it (really, do we need the right to say '******'?). Bear in mind that I am entirely in favour of the notion of free speech, but it's not the only right people have; the PA servers are private property and we have to respect the conditions of their use as set down by Jolt. If we don't like it, we can leave.

I might be wrong, but I get the impression that some people (not you, perhaps) are just stirring this issue up because they find it amusing. Having passed beyond the point where I find swearing to be the height of comedy, I don't, nor do I consider the well-intentioned (if occasionally misguided and overzealous) efforts of PAteam to stop the use of offensive language to be 'fascism'. They've been surprisingly tolerant with some cases, although this does make it very confusing when they occasionally crack down on far less offensive words (the case of someone being warned for calling someone else an 'idiot' springs to mind). The solution, however, is not mockery and insults, but to help PAteam by arriving at a better and more widely accepted understanding of what is, and is not to be tolerated.

Quote:
go back to free for all alliance/gal score rules. alliance jumping is a valid tactic, this is a war game not a ****ing 'KISS EACH OTHER ON THE CHEEK AND FLIP A COIN TO SEE WHO HAS TO LAUNCH FIRST' sortof shit. same with gals. it's only fair

stop this donation limit to alliance fund, that's beyond ****ing annoying and retarded - there is no support planet rule anymore, so this should be fine to do
I sort of agree. I'd like to wait and see what the final results of this round's scoring system is before passing judgement.

Quote:
Thoroughly in favour of open-endedness.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:47   #21
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Alliance hopping used to be fun

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:52   #22
ComradeRob
wasted

Quote:
go back to free for all alliance/gal score rules. alliance jumping is a valid tactic, this is a war game not a ****ing 'KISS EACH OTHER ON THE CHEEK AND FLIP A COIN TO SEE WHO HAS TO LAUNCH FIRST' sortof shit. same with gals. it's only fair <--- No, I like this way and it is seriously annoying for smaller allies to have their largest players all leave on the last day, ruining your round.
What's more important, the interests of individual players or the interests of alliances? I think players matter more. 'But it would hurt [some] alliances' is not a very good reason for anything.
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 18:44   #23
jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
This is a gameplay issue, as mentioned above.
what? what's your point, of course it's a gameplay issue

Quote:
Basically what you're saying is that anything should go? anything allowed by the rough game mechanics should work, instead of patching what many of the community percieve to be "cheating" (e.g. keeping artificially low value by keeping ships in production over the tick a few rounds ago)?
yeah pretty much, let people work with every feature possible as long as they do not break the eula.

Quote:
I might be wrong, but I get the impression that some people (not you, perhaps) are just stirring this issue up because they find it amusing. Having passed beyond the point where I find swearing to be the height of comedy, I don't, nor do I consider the well-intentioned (if occasionally misguided and overzealous) efforts of PAteam to stop the use of offensive language to be 'fascism'. They've been surprisingly tolerant with some cases, although this does make it very confusing when they occasionally crack down on far less offensive words (the case of someone being warned for calling someone else an 'idiot' springs to mind). The solution, however, is not mockery and insults, but to help PAteam by arriving at a better and more widely accepted understanding of what is, and is not to be tolerated.
i didn't really mean 'humour', i'm not sure why i said that - what i really mean is the ridiculous nature of mh's warning and changing r/p's nearly all the cases i've come across have been unwarranted (my opinion is correct) - this has risen rapidly since the past few rounds and it's pretty silly. i don't think abusive mails is ever going be worth closing over either to be honest, the prospect of facing a 'truly abusive mail' is laughable at best and i can't really understand the need for reporting or whatever, just delete and forget about it. perhaps add an ignore function or something to ingame mail/forums
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 19:29   #24
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

I wouldnt let my daughter play till she was 15, there was no way i was letting her on irc at any age younger than that, and planet without irc is a dead one. I've been here i know what some pa players are like :P

so from the parental POV:

come down hard on the swearing and such like within the game is good, theres enough justifiably paranoid parents out there that would try to prevent or not pay for the account because of it.

Ask yourselves this if u have a little brother or sister or a daughter or son? would you want them in the enviroment that PA provides, or in the enviroment that PA provided without what they do. And be honest with us and yourselves on this question.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 19:44   #25
jerome

yes i would not shield him or her from a world he/she would face anyway, infact i would encourage him to slowly but surely learn about all that's in existence and build his morals around it instead of closing him up with prejudices and fears.
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 19:58   #26
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

You can censor all the language you want in game but when you think about it it's a small fraction to what anyone will come across in his or her galaxy / alliance / any channel that isn't #planetarion and other such official type ones.

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 20:25   #27
Floydian

Floydian will become famous soon enoughFloydian will become famous soon enough

On the whole I agree with Jerome. Especially the parts about allowing a more free for all atmosphere. A war game stops being a war game when there's so many rules, regulations and 'features' stifling any kind of fluid gameplay.
Of course there'll be alliances or players who at some point will be disapointed, but hey - you can't (and shouldn't) really avoid that in a war game, it's what keeps things interesting.

As for the issue on PA being a 'family game'*, I do actually believe theres a fair amount of potential in the younger market, I've only recently come over to this game from another tick based war game after a very long break from here - and there was a sizable amount of younger kids around the 13-16 age group there playing actively in the top and bottom rankings. One reason being as they could log in in lunch breaks at school, or in-between lessons allowing them to still play pretty actively. It looks like free accounts have had a pretty nifty boost so thats definately a start.

*That kinda makes me cringe, this is about as far away from a family game as you can get. Sitting at a computer at 3AM to launch ships isn't exactly fun the whole family can enjoy. I guess our understanding of what makes a family game differ.
Floydian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 20:30   #28
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe have a censor built into the in-game mail system, where you could set on Preferences to switch it on/off?

That way, those of us with potty mouths could still send dirty mails, while the default setting upon sign-up would keep most people from seeing it.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 20:30   #29
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydian
this is about as far away from a family game as you can get. Sitting at a computer at 3AM to launch ships isn't exactly fun the whole family can enjoy. I guess our understanding of what makes a family game differ.
An interesting and quite valid point.

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 20:34   #30
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
An interesting and quite valid point.
but you don't need to stay up - you can prelaunch

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 20:38   #31
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal

Usually, people get JGP's of themselves before logging off, or have the scanners do it sometime while they're offline

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 20:39   #32
Almeida

Almeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to behold

good lord, try to see the meaning behind the words!

i translate for you: Planetarion is not exactly the first choice when the family wants to do something together: they rather have a picnic, go to the cinema or just play a card game together instead of gathering in front of the PC to type coords into the browser to attack someone. i can see many ppl playing this game, but don't call it a friggin family game coz it ain't one, never was one and never will be one.

you understood now?
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 20:42   #33
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida
good lord, try to see the meaning behind the words!

i translate for you: Planetarion is not exactly the first choice when the family wants to do something together: they rather have a picnic, go to the cinema or just play a card game together instead of gathering in front of the PC to type coords into the browser to attack someone. i can see many ppl playing this game, but don't call it a friggin family game coz it ain't one, never was one and never will be one.

you understood now?
I don't think anyone ever meant it would be a game families would play together, but it is a game that young people might play.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 20:46   #34
Almeida

i surrender, maybe it's my english, maybe it's the words i choose ,maybe you just don't listen to opinions that don't match your own. i don't know, but i give up wasting my time. PA will be dead in 2-3 rounds anyways
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 20:47   #35
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
We all know that isn't the route to doing well or the route most alliances that do well take.

Thus meaning to a "new player" (yes avoiding "noob") it looks good but as they get into the game they realise the real demands if they want to do well.

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:15   #36
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
We all know that isn't the route to doing well or the route most alliances that do well take.

Thus meaning to a "new player" (yes avoiding "noob") it looks good but as they get into the game they realise the real demands if they want to do well.
I know, but as you know I'm in favour of trying to develop the game so that you can play it and sleep.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:18   #37
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I know, but as you know I'm in favour of trying to develop the game so that you can play it and sleep.
Unless you can automate defence like you can automate attacks you'll never win.

People will always launch so incoming appears / arrives at unsociable hours to maximise the attack.

Making the game to simplified will loose players even faster. You get out of PA as much as you put in, making it more automated will just make it shit.

Bring back quests. They were good!

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:22   #38
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Unless you can automate defence like you can automate attacks you'll never win.

People will always launch so incoming appears / arrives at unsociable hours to maximise the attack.

Making the game to simplified will loose players even faster. You get out of PA as much as you put in, making it more automated will just make it shit.

Bring back quests. They were good!
I remain convinced that there must be a way to allow sleep without simplifying the game. The game should require skill rather than being online at 3 am.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:26   #39
Cochese
Retired

Yeah, that aspect of it really is a bitch, and probably dissuades a lot of people from playing.

(I think we're going off topic though)

(though it *is* a jerome thread so it probably doesn't matter!)

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:30   #40
jerome

going off-topic will be allowed in my liberal world
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:31   #41
Cochese
Retired

...and that's why we love you jer!

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:40   #42
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I remain convinced that there must be a way to allow sleep without simplifying the game. The game should require skill rather than being online at 3 am.
Personally, the various in sociable times and knowing when to get everything was part of the quirky skill.

How to you automate a "random" event where that random event is another players choice when to launch?

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:47   #43
Kal
Inactive peon

Back to jer's topic:

' point - this is technically possible, but it would require us to modify a fair amount of code and then to LOTS of testing to prevent potential security issues.

[] point - this is a case of having slightly different check functions for different tasks - not a big issues as such. However, I'd like to hear arguments about why [] is needed i.e. why is tagging needed.

alliance score - alliance jumping is still possible, but in effect the new alliance doesn't get as big a benefit as previously - if the jumping is early enough in the round it probabaly is still worth it for the additional fleets.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:49   #44
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
alliance score - alliance jumping is still possible, but in effect the new alliance doesn't get as big a benefit as previously - if the jumping is early enough in the round it probabaly is still worth it for the additional fleets.
72 hours waiting and a wack off nerf on the score they get.

That's not really true alliance jumping.

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:52   #45
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
allow usage of;

using ' or some other stuff in r/p's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Can't for security reasons.
Security reasons? You mean issues with the database when it encounters special characters, sql injection and all that.
Solution is to treat all user entered strings with a thick pair of gloves, then scrub them so that ' becomes &#39; , ; becomes &#59; and so on. The browser should automagically turn them back into their proper visible versions

Some code which i did for another of my assignments where i had to think about that very thing if it helps, obviously its in java but its not a hard thing to port really :
Code:
 public String wash(String unclean)
    {
        String clean = "";
        if ( unclean != null )
        {
            unclean = unclean.replaceAll("&","&amp;"); // wash &
            unclean = unclean.replaceAll("\"","&quot;"); // wash "
            unclean = unclean.replaceAll("\'","&#39;"); // wash '
            unclean = unclean.replaceAll(";","&#59;"); // wash ;
            unclean = unclean.replaceAll("<","&lt;"); // wash <
            unclean = unclean.replaceAll(">","&gt;"); // wash >
        }
        clean = unclean;
        return clean;
    }
Not really that complicated code to do the 'washing' of a string, What might get complicated is in calling it for every single field for which a custom string can be entered but there *are* a limited number of those, and you could simply use the old functions on those fields which do not specifically require certain characters in them and wash those which do.

Im not sure if there are other characters which mysql can be a bit iffy about but its trivial to add new ones to such a washer function

Last edited by Phil^; 20 Feb 2007 at 22:39.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2007, 02:30   #46
jerome

well the "'" thing is just an aesthetic, much more important are the gameplay elements in all honesty
Unread 21 Feb 2007, 21:53   #47
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

pa is simply a tedious task nowadays, its the same thing day in day out, you may aswell make it automated, im going to have to agree with jer, your counter arguments seem to be pretty weak anyway i had a similar suggestion to allowing open fluid gameplay rather than all the gay restrictions set upon us.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showpo...7&postcount=12