User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 26 Jun 2007, 23:53   #1
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
PHP IDEs

I'm trying to teach myself PHP with the aid of a book, but I'm finding it a little tricky having to just use notepad. Maybe I've been spoilt by all the lovely features of Visual Studio 2005, but if someone could recommend a decent (and free) IDE for PHP that would be ace. Debugging support is essential, and it would be really great if it had anything like IntelliSense, but no big deal if it doesn't
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 00:05   #2
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: PHP IDEs

I think Eclipse ( www.eclipse.org ) has development tools for php.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 21:11   #3
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

it does http://www.phpeclipse.de, never tried it though, so have no idea how good it is.
Unread 28 Jun 2007, 08:50   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
I'm trying to teach myself PHP with the aid of a book, but I'm finding it a little tricky having to just use notepad.
As a half way house, get a decent text editor with syntax highlighting, etc. I personally use Crimson Editor (http://www.crimsoneditor.com) even though there's nothing that special about it, and it ceased development ages ago. You can save directly to remote sites (useful with PHP), makes sequential backups of any saves, and the highlighting stuff means I notice 90% of the typos I make, without being burdened by anything too elaborate. It also allows you to switch to syntaxes for ASP, SQL, Perl, etc (or design your own) which is useful for the stuff I do.

Also, macros are a godsend for a lot of general data handling stuff (e.g. formatting a list of items for insertion into a table).

A doddle to setup, and even with the docs/syntax files/other gumpf it's only 2.5mb or something like that.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2007, 11:01   #5
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Its not an IDE by any means (though the macros/scripts are reasonably flexible), but these days I've found Context to be invaluable and has become my defacto dev platform.
Unread 29 Jun 2007, 16:28   #6
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Eclipse with PDT is what I currently use. It is still not satisfiable, but after testing zend, phped, phpeclipse, vs.php and a lot of freeware ide's I consider Eclipse/PDT as most useful IDE.
Unread 3 Jul 2007, 12:49   #7
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

I use HTMLKit for just about anything (www.chami.com) Its free (also a paid version is available) and it ahs a heap of plugins available. It has everything you need.

If you are looking for RAD, then i cannot help you, excpet that RAD is stupid :P. If you insist, try Delphi for PHP, they say its fun
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2007, 14:26   #8
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

phpeclipse is horrible, I quite like PDT though, and as it's still actually being developed (phpeclipse is basically dead) it can only get better
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 19:04   #9
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
RAD is stupid :P
Why?
Unread 9 Jul 2007, 16:48   #10
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging.Retard
Why?
He is probably mistaking RAD with WYSIWYG. I agree that WYSIWYG might be stupid, unless the tool is well developed and tested (f.i. Qt Designer or Windows Forms Designer). However, with Websites it is always tough to use WYSIWYG.

RAD tools again can simply be tools which help you refactoring / testing / debugging your code in an efficient way (fast + easy to use / easy to get used to). Those are cool, and life savers at times.
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 19:54   #11
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Does anyone know zend studio? I'm wondering if its any good and, more importantly, worth € 356
Another question: edit: OK, I admit I'm stupid

Last edited by wu_trax; 24 Jul 2007 at 20:46.
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2007, 21:28   #12
Aragno
xVx techie

Aragno will become famous soon enoughAragno will become famous soon enough

I use Zend Studio and think it's worth the money. I'd recommend you look at the http://www.php-editors.com/ site. It has a basically is a site made up to answer your question

I used textpad for years. Then I used php designer for a while (free for personal use)

[xVx]
Aragno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 23:18   #13
Thrud
Old User

Thrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to behold

I also use Zend Studio and it is very good, but unless you are very serious about PHP then its a lot of money to invest, if you are using windows then Programmers Notepad is good and free, but its only really an editor.
Thrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2008, 22:30   #14
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Sorry to necro, but Adobe Dreamweaver also is good.

But then its a bit expensive.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2008, 02:16   #15
Gabriel
Gabba gabba hey hey

Gabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura about

jpadpro is one, the beta of netbeans 6.5 also handle php better than previously
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2008, 13:20   #16
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

6.5 isnt in beta anymore, its released
Also has a beta plugin for python work now too
Unread 6 Mar 2009, 10:31   #17
clod
Banned

clod is an unknown quantity at this point

I love and suggest new free PHP IDE - Codelobster PHP Edition
with Drupal, Joomla, WordPress and Smarty plug-ins.
clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2009, 20:59   #18
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

I don't personally use PHP but my mate used to use Netbeans a lot..maybe worth a look?

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2010, 17:07   #19
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Notepad++ is also a very good one, if i didnt use dreamweaver then N++ would be it.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2010, 11:52   #20
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Eclipse with PDT is what I use (and most important FREE!)

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2010, 13:02   #21
Gabriel
Gabba gabba hey hey

Gabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura about

I used to use eclipse pdt until it occurred to me what a pile of shit it was, netbeans is a lot faster and smoother and handles php just as well as eclipse.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote