User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 00:32   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Me and My Laptop

ok, my laptop has been a bit tempremental for the last 6 months - 1 year. I was going to get it fixed this summer, but Time went bust and then I think my warrenty ran out in October (I need to check this, am praying it runs out next october and I can get it fixed, but I doubt it!).

Basically, it has problems in that sometimes it refuses to start up (it seems to start up better with the power adapter disconnected).

However, this isn't the major issue (it's probably related to me accidently frying it by leaving it on 24/7 with an "always on" power setting).

Recently, it started shutting down for no reason. Before, it had if I ran something _really_ graphics intensive for a while, but then it got a bit worse. I'm pretty sure it's not a virus.

More recently, it got to the point where if I ran scandisk while it was starting (win XP home, legit edition, came with laptop), then it'd actually crash, so I skipped it.
However, it crashed a few more times, and bluescreened on me if I started it and skipped scandisk.
I tried safe mode and all the other modes, same issue, hanging in booting.

So, I gave in, and took out the "system restore diskc" (couple of CDs, you stick them in and it completely restores the harddrive to it's origional state).

Well, at about 15%, it hung. So, I restarted. When I restarted with the CD in I got a problem - apparently C:\ isn't formatted, and so the CD paniced and wouldn't function. Obviously it hung at quite an essential part in the installation.

Fine, I thought, I'll fix the drive manually. not having a boot disc on me, or a working floppy disc drive on this PC, I transferred some boot discs I had on my PC (format.exe, fdisk.exe, etc).
I figured that just because it wasn't booted in dos, they'd still work? Maybe that was a bad assumption to make though, as I used the system restore CD to get me to a CD prompt, changed CD, and tried to run both format.exe and fdisk.exe (separately). Basically, both hung the laptop.

My only remaining ideas are:
1) get a proper bootdisc from a friend upstairs and see if I can use format.exe and fdisk from that.
2) get something like partition magic, in DOS format, and see if I can fix it that way if format C:\ and fdisk fail.

otherwise, it seems to be pretty screwed. any other ideas?