User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 6 Sep 2007, 06:52   #1
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light
Fleet etas

They are quite ridiculously slow, it supports some life ofc, but ones putting little time and effort for the game probably wont enjoy the waiting and launching only once per day...

wouldnt hurt to cut little eta away...
Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2007, 11:51   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Fleet etas

Once everyone completes their ETA research you won't be saying that, it's only tick 135!
Unread 6 Sep 2007, 12:21   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nuff said, methinks.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2007, 12:35   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Indeed, essentially full ETA research reduces the ETAs of most fleets by a third, to ~8-10 ticks. Further, remember that there is only one hour of warning for most fleets to get defence from the universe, and three hours from your galaxy, and once that's all over, there is still time for you to wake up and run your fleet, or get some emergency production done, or whatever.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2007, 13:07   #5
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

It seems slow for now as each ETA research effectively cuts travel time by 2 ticks, 1 tick each way.

It's quite difficult when your fleet takes over 24 hours for a successful attack at the start because they're so slow. If you really want speed in your fleet then concentrate on space travel research, but it'll prevent you from doing something else.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2007, 15:33   #6
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah I understand there is eta research... and with paid account it completes even faster :P

but is there a good reason why start of the round should be really slow for fleet movement?

If you ask me we could go down from 8-9h to 4-5h. 12h is just more than u sleep and spend time at work and so it just aint fitting even to your personal life
Unread 6 Sep 2007, 16:17   #7
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Personally I like the 8-10 hour range for attacks, the slower pace makes the game much more approachable for the casual gamer, if rather tiresome for the hardcore gamer.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 16:42   #8
Eternity
DarK_AnGeL^

Eternity is an unknown quantity at this point

So your solution to your tedium is to halve travel times? Theres nothing wrong with it currently, leave it alone.
VtS, CpV, RAH, ND, Jenova, xVx, Ascendancy, Rainbows, Kittenz, Faceless, Ironborn and RED.

Played in rounds :
20, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 31
71 - 85.
Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 19:27   #9
Osidiradadumpf

Osidiradadumpf can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
Personally I like the 8-10 hour range for attacks, the slower pace makes the game much more approachable for the casual gamer, if rather tiresome for the hardcore gamer.
Yeah.. There are games enough who offer attacks which land in less then an hour.. with unlimited number of fleets.. Believe me, you wont want to play that kind of game.. because strategy tends to get less important and activity means everything.

I play PA because I know, that if I leave my keyboard for the night I still find my fleet.. while you could have been totally wiped out in some other games.
Osidiradadumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 21:17   #10
Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osidiradadumpf
because strategy tends to get less important and activity means everything.

I play PA because I know, that if I leave my keyboard for the night I still find my fleet.. while you could have been totally wiped out in some other games.
a very good point, but there aint much strategy to play with if there is no one online to make them happen in practise. People are more online to make the community active and interesting if there is reason for it.

if etas are 6 to 8 h, thats still pretty usual sleep for me atleast. Going below it just adds the need of other players and companions too... this aint ne solo game.

Also amount of players in your side counts more when u cant balance things with other issues, such as tactics and suprise and activity.

Also may I remind u only attacks I noticed in here has happened between the 12-6am, so reducing etas might get u a chance to launch on other times also, expesially when your fleet is more often at home in use. Maybe our tactics could be´more brilliant also when we didnt need to think of them at 4 am
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 01:56   #11
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I wouldnt mind lower etas
It would decrease an already smal memberbase though, so it wont happen.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 14:19   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

4 hours of the ETA are essentially pointless. That's the main problem.

ETAs 7+ can be defended against in alliance.
ETAs 5-6 can be defended against in gal.
ETAs 1-4 can't have anything done about them (except build ships to stop it).

So chopping 3 hours off all ETAs wouldn't muck anything up, as long as you also reduced production times by 3 hours also.
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 14:36   #13
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Except the whole sleep/work/school/general reaction time factor, i suppose if you changed production to match, that would be true.
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 14:39   #14
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

That doesnt make it a good change, though.
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 14:42   #15
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Also, would it really change the number of launches that a planet does in a day? 7 hours to attack, 6 hours to return, 7 hours to attack again, that's 20 hours. So you'd (at most) get an extra half-attack a day. Sure, that'd stack up to alot more attacks over the course of the round (~50% more), but if prevailing political or traditional considerations such as launching when there is minimum defence are still important considerations, then there may not actually be all that much more launching; just more time with idle fleets at home.

Success?
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 15:22   #16
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
4 hours of the ETA are essentially pointless. That's the main problem.

ETAs 7+ can be defended against in alliance.
ETAs 5-6 can be defended against in gal.
ETAs 1-4 can't have anything done about them (except build ships to stop it).

So chopping 3 hours off all ETAs wouldn't muck anything up, as long as you also reduced production times by 3 hours also.
The majority of (sane) people sleep about 7-8 hours a day. If you were a more casual player then you probably wouldn't give a shit about waking up in the middle of the night because your planet is under attack.

If an ETA 7 fleet is attacking you, usually you should be able to move your fleet just in time instead of being destroyed when you wake up. If all fleets were ETA 4 then the chances are you'd get totally destroyed overnight from attacking fleets.

That really isn't my idea of fun.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 15:44   #17
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is there any merit in chopping some ticks off of the return journey?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 03:02   #18
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

why don't we just make all attack fleets eta 2 and all def fleets eta 1?
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 08:20   #19
csillag

csillag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii
hehe, you must be joking, mate - DCs would appreciate it, tho...

- retired -
csillag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 14:40   #20
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii
How would this ever be a good thing?
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 08:36   #21
Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Is there any merit in chopping some ticks off of the return journey?
that sounds good to me... that way u can move your fleet more often and still keep the inc run and defable