User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Dec 2009, 13:31   #1
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold
Day Raiding

Day Raiding
By munkee

Day raiding is something that will really seperate the people who half heartedly would like a good planet and those that actively try to attain a good planet.

Typical alliances within PA will settle for 1 or maybe 2 raids per day. These most likely occur throughout the night with target picking ranging from as early as 18:00 through to 22:00 (ct is actually one of the late ones apart from xvx's 2nd late night TP). Alliance raids serve a purpose they provide the following:

* Fully scanned targets
* Good coverage of galaxy raids reducing likelyhood of ingal defence
* JGP's the following day
* An oppertunity for all members of an alliance to get involved in attacks
* Structure and unity to the alliance
* Ensures you do not hit NAP'd planets / Friendly alliances
* Concentrates firepower during war / political actions

Theres many others but this is usually whats important. People can dedicate 1, 2 or even their full 3 fleets on to the night raid. However! most people leave something back for defence.

So this is where day raiding comes in. There are times when you leave fleets idle, there are times when you have had to recall to cover yourself and your inc has recalled. There are certainly times when your own attack is covered and you have recalled. So what do you do with the idle attack fleet?.. To put it simply you day raid.

So where to start. Firstly in my experience day raiding works purely because you have to set your frame of mind in to thinking no one within a galaxy will defend a worthless planet. Everyone knows the type, those 300 or 400 roid planets that have been idle for 40 odd ticks (check sandmans) and probably doesnt even use irc. You need to prey on the weak as these are the ones who will not be bothered about.

You also need to think about the eta of your ships when you send. For instance, if the planet you have chosen has an alliance (this can be checked by pm'n a hc for intel) then it would be to your benefit to give them the least amount of time as possible to cover the call. This is where fighters/corvette with an effective eta of 7 work good in day raiding. The alliance will have only 1 tick to cover the call.

You also have the option with these fast eta ships to recall/resend if needed.

So here are some basic steps i go through whilst day raiding:

* Firstly i get online and see if any ally defence is needed and usually gal defence (i play for ally though so not that fussed).
* If there is no defence needed i check to see what fleets i have available for raiding (i often split my attack fleet in to 2 or 3, with 2 fleets on ally raid or 1). Remember picking targets even on ally raid you know you can hit easy, this allows you to split your fleets.
* I then go on the search for an easy target. These are usually obtained from either using the ally idle planet list or by looking through the galaxies to find a shitty #12 or #13 style planet with 400 roids that is just being exiled around the universe. There are plenty of targets out there!
* You can then use an alliance arbi to check targets and whether the planet is free to hit.
* Then its time to get some scans (through ally or my own or even #scans) and run a few calcs if its landable for minimal / no losses

Then you go on your way and send off your fleet if it is approved, if not just repeat the process above with a differing planet.

So you have set your fleet and the game has ticked. Now is the time where your activity can pay off, get a jgp just before the next tick to see if the planet has got any out of gal / alliance defence. IF he has, recall a few seconds before tick and resend the following. This will drain the alliances defences as the defending planets will often not check for recall messages straight away and eventually you end up with all the defence fleets infront of your attack doing nothing.

Once you are past the final ally defence eta (7) its a simple waiting game till eta 4 where you can JGP to see if there has been any ingal defence. If there is none, simply P scan your target whenever to ensure they have not spent resources to stop you. Whilst on the topic of ingal defence it is very important you run a calc at eta 4 if there is any, or even before that at eta 5. When solo'n you will often find that random planets (often as shit as the one you are hitting) have sent unorganised defence. I have seen many times planets sending their whole fleets to defend me. It looks worrying at first but when you run the calc its a 99% losses for them and sub 10% for you. Its worth landing for those 100+ roids at this point.

A final check is to jgp your own planet at eta 1, to ensure the galaxy you are hitting havent organised some form of fleetcatch due to being bitter.

That is pretty much it to day raiding to be honest. The most simple form of it anyway, there is of course retalliating and fleetcatching that can be done in the day which may be discussed at a later date.

As was posted in ronins how to be a value player, there is nothing wrong with day raiding and going on solo's it is really what can set you apart from the average pa player. If you land two fleets in the day on 2 400 roid planets you will cap 200 roids that day, something that no one in pa can shun at. Building roids will build your value, if you protect them well you will be out of reach of everyone else.
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 13:37   #2
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Day Raiding

Day raiding, eh munkee? Nice post, but you and I both know who started day raiding in CT
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 16:24   #3
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

This post is about solo day raiding no one wants to hear about your legacy of fail.
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 16:32   #4
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee View Post
This post is about solo day raiding no one wants to hear about your legacy of fail.
No it's about Day raiding in general. If you want to be successfull at it, you try to find other people to join you. Solo is not as good as a joint raid.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 19:40   #5
Munkee
Dictator

Trust me, I know what this guide is about I wrote it. It was written from the point of view of a planet raiding solo as a continuation of how to build a value planet.

Anyway, Whether you feel that the solo day raid is as good/bad tactic its purely down to the player if you want to take a couple of friends with you, it doesn't change anything in the methods of this guide. But I would give it my backing, it doesn't make you a selfish player at all if you decide to go alone.

Infact, I would expect praise to those who have the initiative and will to make their planet the best it can be. I feel a few people look at solo day raiding as the type of thing that those who "never send a single def fleet" only do and it automatically makes you selfish, which in fact is something I have heard said a lot by those in the alliances with not such an elite member base bar CT who were very strict on their solo raiding regardless, hence why i posted this on their forum when i was attack HC.
Unread 21 Dec 2009, 00:13   #6
Cowch
Moo

Cowch is on a distinguished road

I read this guide when I first joined CT. It was good for me as a cath and I got a lot of roids with it. But soloing isn't very good for a terran.
Cowch is offline   Reply With Quote