User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Oct 2005, 11:30   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The big ole Civ 4 thread

Come on.
If you're a fan of strategy games, then by now you're either wishing the release date would hurry up, or you're playing a pirated/imported copy from the USA.
Personally (and I surprised myself here) I've gone down the legitimate route so I'm going to have to wait. A big deciding factor in that was that I could pre-order for £17.99, but still it's frustrating.
Reading the reviews is only making it worse - for example, IGN: 9.4.

So, do you already have it? If so, is it really that good?
If you don't have it yet, do you think it's likely to be?

So close.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 11:50   #2
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future
Re: The big ole Civ 4 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Come on.
If you're a fan of strategy games, then by now you're either wishing the release date would hurry up, or you're playing a pirated/imported copy from the USA.
Personally (and I surprised myself here) I've gone down the legitimate route so I'm going to have to wait. A big deciding factor in that was that I could pre-order for £17.99, but still it's frustrating.
Reading the reviews is only making it worse - for example, IGN: 9.4.

So, do you already have it? If so, is it really that good?
If you don't have it yet, do you think it's likely to be?

So close.
Most people the in the usa will get it today (it shipped yesterday). So no one probably has it yet
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 11:52   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

It's in 3D so I am sceptical
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 12:13   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's not "in 3D" in the way that, say, the Command and Conquer series was when it transitioned to 3D with Generals. By all accounts the 3D aspect is used simply to enhance the aesthetics (prettier smoother animations, sparkly water etc) and does not make any difference to how the game is played.
To put it another way, if you could port the new fancy graphics back to Civ III, you'd still have the same game, it'd just look better. Any gameplay alterations shouldn't be from the new graphics, they should be down to decisions taken by the developers.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 12:24   #5
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Big fan of the series and will get it sooner or later, it is on my shortlist with AOEIII and FM2006.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 12:40   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If they don't use this, they're ON MY LIST.

http://www.atomicarchive.com/Movies/Movie8.shtml
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 12:44   #7
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

from the screenshots to me it looks like theyve put too much effort into graphics. you can ruin a game with that.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 12:46   #8
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
from the screenshots to me it looks like theyve put too much effort into graphics. you can ruin a game with that.

It's the same what I feel when I see the screenshots. The features I've heard about sounds good though. I'll just wait and see.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 12:46   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Examples?
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 12:54   #10
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Examples?
Panzer general? the first one was a classic. then they made allied commander or whatever, which kind of used more or less the same graphics, but was for windows, so that you had a higher resolution, etc. that was an improvment. then they out all that 3d-crap into it, which completly ruined the game for me.
For all i care they could use different square-symbols for different units. after all this isnt an ego-shooter, were almost everything depends on realism.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 12:56   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

The game is pretty much fully moddable, so if you want symbols, make it so.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:02   #12
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

All Civ games were great! even if i was way to young to properly play Civ I i spent a lot of time on it

Since then i am addicted and followed through all parts - certainly i will buy Civ4!

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:30   #13
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

I played Civilization II for waaay too many hours and spent even longer creating scenarios for it, but I didn't really like Civ 3. I'm optimistic about Civ 4 after reading about the changes they've made, but I don't like the look of the graphics at all, I'd rather play it with Civ 2 graphics tbh.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:36   #14
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

I played civ3 way too long in multiplayer mode, the speed during an online game is godawful, really really ****ing painful.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:38   #15
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: The big ole Civ 4 thread

There was something just 'wrong' about Civ 3, for me. I think the graphics had a lot to do with it. It didn't feel 'right' to me.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:40   #16
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I played civ3 way too long in multiplayer mode, the speed during an online game is godawful, really really ****ing painful.
how does that work anyway? its turn based, so i guess a little later it takes hours until its your turn again?
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:45   #17
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
There was something just 'wrong' about Civ 3, for me. I think the graphics had a lot to do with it. It didn't feel 'right' to me.
I agree. I played the hell out of Civ 3 and while the new features (eg resources) entertained me for a while I finally realised that it was actually not that good. It's ok for the first couple thousand years but then it just drags.

Anyway, from the previews I've read of Civ 4 it looks like they're going back to what made Civ 2 so good and updating it so I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:48   #18
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

IMHO all they ever tweaked well was the graphics and choice content. For me civ=civ2=civ´the other number 2´=civ3=civ4.
The only other line where they are reaching my limit is the total war series. Allthough there they could make a special version starting in rome and play on all the way throug BarbInva into medieval.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 14:08   #19
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

I would like to have the babies of whoever designed civ4. it's wonderful.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 14:20   #20
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I never really played multiplayer on previous Civs, but according to the IGN review in Civ 4 they've added options to change the speed of the multiplayer games, and you can allow everyone to take their turn at the same time if you wish.
It's all on page 5 of the review.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 14:26   #21
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Been playing the Civ series pretty consistently for about 14 years. I remember doing a presentation on it when I was 8 (don't ask why)
Civ2 is certainly the best, i rarely finish a civ3 game... although the "play the world" add-on got rid of some annoyances.
Civ4 should be good

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 14:29   #22
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
It's in 3D so I am sceptical
Same here.. It won't stop me from buying ( :eek: ) the game tho
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 15:18   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Civ 3 didn't grip me as much as Civ 2 (or Alpha Centauri) but I still enjoyed it. So I'll be downloading this when it hits Usenet today/tomorrow, and then buying it when I have the money (I have bought copies of Civ 1, Civ 2 & Civ 3 as well as two copies of Alpha Centauri (plus the expansion pack).

I share the concerns around unnecessary flashiness of some of the graphics, but games like this need their UI to be as slick as humanly possible (even the smallest of flaws becomes incredibly annoying when you have to do it several thousand times).

Plus the modability (some of it based on Python?) sounds sexy.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 16:22   #24
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

heh, from reading the review it looks like they have something similar to social engineering in AC. Which is the best news
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 17:17   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nondescript Human
I played Civilization II for waaay too many hours and spent even longer creating scenarios for it, but I didn't really like Civ 3.
Civ II (and Alpha) were designed by Brian Reynolds, who cofounded Firaxis with Sid Meier.

Reynolds then left Firaxis after Alpha Centauri was released, because Sid forced through naming it "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri", which Reynolds thought was a bit steep because Sid had nothing to do with it.

Sid Meier's Civ III wasn't designed by Sid either, and it was released with literally no playtesting - hence the immense problems in every part of the game.

Sid Meier's Civ IV is, again, not designed by SM, but it seems to have a more coherent approach towards the game than Civ III ever did. Whilst I'd still prefer a BR game, Civ IV does look a lot more inspiring than Civ III.

Quote:
I never really played multiplayer on previous Civs, but according to the IGN review in Civ 4 they've added options to change the speed of the multiplayer games, and you can allow everyone to take their turn at the same time if you wish.
Hardly a new feature, you could do that in Alpha Centauri. But they removed it in Civ III. Like most of the really excellent things.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 17:55   #26
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Panzer general? the first one was a classic. then they made allied commander or whatever, which kind of used more or less the same graphics, but was for windows, so that you had a higher resolution, etc. that was an improvment. then they out all that 3d-crap into it, which completly ruined the game for me.
For all i care they could use different square-symbols for different units. after all this isnt an ego-shooter, were almost everything depends on realism.
I agree that Panzer General I was ace.
Allied General was riddled with bugs, even with the patch. Noticed how many units the AI could make, for instance at Pskov?
Panzer General II was nice too.

Panzer General III with 3d graphics was totally f***** up, and it was hard to even get a overview of the battlefield.

So, I agree with you about PG3, but not on AG
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 17:57   #27
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
It just seemed BUGGY to me, specially since the AI cheated even more than usual

Civ I for the win, I think I have used over 1000 hours on it.
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 18:03   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What did people think of Civilisation : A Call To Power?

I know it's not technically one of the Civ series.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 18:12   #29
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
I agree that Panzer General I was ace.
Allied General was riddled with bugs, even with the patch. Noticed how many units the AI could make, for instance at Pskov?
Panzer General II was nice too.

Panzer General III with 3d graphics was totally f***** up, and it was hard to even get a overview of the battlefield.

So, I agree with you about PG3, but not on AG
i never really got into allied general or what it was called. i think it didnt work on windows98 or with more than 256 colors or something. it was just an example of graphical improvement without ****ing up the entire game. The total war-series is another one. Rome - total war certainly looks a lot better than Shogun, but the feeling of the game is the same. After seeing the screenshots of Civ IV i dont think that will be the case this time.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 18:22   #30
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

As long as you just read the instruction manual and strategy guides, and didnt play the actual game, it was one of the best computer games ever made.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 19:10   #31
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

I didn't enjoy playing it. Dunno why but I consider it a waste of the money I paid for it.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 19:17   #32
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
As long as you just read the instruction manual and strategy guides, and didnt play the actual game, it was one of the best computer games ever made.
You say that about most games.

I actually bought that one many moons ago.

Why, why, why, for the love of God!

Anyway it sucked and I played that silly dos civ with more pleasure. But maybe that's because monochrome colored games so turn me on erotically.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 22:17   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Indeed, it had the complexity of something like Alpha Centauri, but had absolutely none of the elegance.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 23:08   #34
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There aren't many computer games that I have played but I loved Civ I and liked Civ II even better. I still play that at home quite a bit though much prefered playing it at work.

I bought Civ III as well as Call to Power. I thought they were both the shits. I wiped them off of my hard drive and threw the disks away.

I hope the IV is good. I will probably buy it fairly soon.

However, I have a question. I have a mac, I currently run Civ II through the virtual pc program. Is there a mac version of IV being released? If not, should IV run through virtual pc?
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 23:18   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Play Alpha Centauri, there's a mac version.
Unread 27 Oct 2005, 05:05   #36
Rick James
Pimp Mack Daddy

Rick James is infamous around these parts

I thought Civ 3 was dope!
infact ive liked all releases of Civ from 1-3 but i never found alpha centauri fun..
Unread 27 Oct 2005, 09:12   #37
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
.....Whilst I'd still prefer a BR game......
Battle Royale?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2005, 09:24   #38
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
how does that work anyway? its turn based, so i guess a little later it takes hours until its your turn again?
It's not really the waiting for the other players (which can be long already after some while), the general speed of the entire game is shit when you play over their gameservers and we haven't found a way to get the direct isp connection thing working
Unread 27 Oct 2005, 12:29   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
Battle Royale?
Brian Reynolds, so BRAC rather than SMAC.
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 00:59   #40
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Just a heads up: Gamespot have now reviewed it, and gave it a 9.4 - including 10/10 on gameplay.
Looking good...
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 09:53   #41
Dante Hicks
Clerk

First impressions : It seems OK. Not a dramatic change from Civ 3 (obviously).

The look and feel of the game at first was a bit disconcerting - the menus are a little more cumbersome than I was expecting, but you soon get used to it. The 3D stuff doesn't really affect the game much, although it does look prettier (although the text used in the game doesn't look particularly good). You can use the world map as a globe of some kind which is pretty cool.

The addition of civics, religions, great persons and unit experience upgrades all seem fairly interesting (although I'm not sure how they alter the game balance throughout the game - I'm still early on in a game). There's quite a few more automation options in the game now, which removes some of the micromanagement necessary in Civ 2/3.

Overall I'm enjoying playing it, although it's not as immersive as Alpha Centauri was (so far) - Leonard Nimoy's voice talent notwithstanding.

p.s. The game now has little tip boxes which says "Sid says : " which is mildly stupid.
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 11:46   #42
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

My key question would be do you enjoy it less or more than Civ III (so far), as I was one of the many who found Civ III to be lacking compared to the others.
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 12:26   #43
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

I preordered it from play.com and I thought was out today, was a disappointment when I checked it it was dispatched this morning and the release date was pushed back to 4th November

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 12:29   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
I preordered it from play.com and I thought was out today, was a disappointment when I checked it it was dispatched this morning and the release date was pushed back to 4th November
Everywhere has it but here - possibly because they didn't want to compete with AoE3, but god knows.
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 12:36   #45
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everywhere has it but here - possibly because they didn't want to compete with AoE3, but god knows.
Do you mean "here" as in play.com or "here" as in country? (if country, which? UK?)

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 12:38   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
Do you mean "here" as in play.com or "here" as in country? (if country, which? UK?)
UK, possibly Europe.
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 12:50   #47
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

It's the same for Europe (I checked Amazon.fr)
Unread 28 Oct 2005, 13:13   #48
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
My key question would be do you enjoy it less or more than Civ III (so far), as I was one of the many who found Civ III to be lacking compared to the others.
I'm enjoying it more than Civ 3 so far. I too was disappointed by Civ 3, although I'm not sure what I was expecting really.
Unread 29 Oct 2005, 22:34   #49
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Eat healthy, kids.
Sounds cool flav. Only a few days to go for me!
Unread 30 Oct 2005, 00:13   #50
Malice
not the daddy...

Malice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to behold

I am still playing Civ II Gold Edition & Alpha Centauri

Going to go pick 4 next weekend!