User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 17 Sep 2007, 19:58   #1
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of
The new PA Forums look and feel

Im sure it isnt finished yet, but i have some comments:

- the top banner is way too high
- under that, the login section + adverts is too high, takes too much space, and generally, its irritating to have a flashing thing on your screen constantrly (the ads)

Add to that the navigation bars, and you have (on a 1280x1024) a screen thats filled with 40% rubbish on top.

Way to go for ease of use. Good that there is still the old skins. Dont dare remove them :P
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2007, 20:07   #2
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: The new PA Forums look and feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
Im sure it isnt finished yet, but i have some comments:

- the top banner is way too high
- under that, the login section + adverts is too high, takes too much space, and generally, its irritating to have a flashing thing on your screen constantrly (the ads)

Add to that the navigation bars, and you have (on a 1280x1024) a screen thats filled with 40% rubbish on top.

Way to go for ease of use. Good that there is still the old skins. Dont dare remove them :P
Unfortunatly I think the issues you've pulled out are the hardest to do anything about. If you make the top image smaller it will look insignifcant in relation to the ads, and the ads have to stay (and I don't think there is anywhere better to put them).

I'm glad you like the general look though

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2007, 20:10   #3
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

You can combine the 2, like in the old forums.

- delete the grpahics on the right of the top banner
- move the middle section of the top banner to the right, replacing the removed graphics
- move the add banner to the middle in the top banner
- move the login info to the left in the top banner, putting it on top of the shown planet surface on the left
- fiddle with it intil it fits

done.

a number of varioations is possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Im sure that was meant ironically :P

Also:

Puttign R.23 under the word Planetarion is amateuristic. its Round 23, not R.23.

Last edited by Remy; 17 Sep 2007 at 20:17.
Unread 17 Sep 2007, 20:14   #4
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I sure hope that my skin will go unchanged or I will show up on Kal's doorstep with a baseball bat and a bunch of blind japanese batters.
Unread 17 Sep 2007, 20:15   #5
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I sure hope that my skin will go unchanged or I will show up on Kal's doorstep with a baseball bat and a bunch of blind japanese batters.
This was YOUR idea? Or is there some skin thats your doing in the alternatives?
Unread 17 Sep 2007, 20:17   #6
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

No.. I meant my preferred skin How on earth would you assume I had added something constructive to the game!
Unread 17 Sep 2007, 20:18   #7
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Hmm, you got a point there :P
Unread 17 Sep 2007, 21:15   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
You can combine the 2, like in the old forums.

- delete the grpahics on the right of the top banner
- move the middle section of the top banner to the right, replacing the removed graphics
- move the add banner to the middle in the top banner
- move the login info to the left in the top banner, putting it on top of the shown planet surface on the left
- fiddle with it intil it fits

done.
It becomes too wide then - look at how wide the ad banner is you would never fit login+logo+ ad banner on one line.

You also loose cohesiveness with the portal, PA ad banner etc.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 17 Sep 2007, 22:48   #9
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Round 5-7 Default skin has always been my preferred forum skin. So long as that one doesnt dissapear i will be happy.

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2007, 23:06   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

Personally I really like the new skin (note there are three versions for people with different tastes) , I find it clear and easy to use, it has nice graphics and it "feels" nice. The only downside's are the ones remy has mentioned. We feel it will be good to have a consistent look and feel across all sites. It is posisble that once the portal is finished we might change the forums again, but I wouldn't expect a major change to the top image.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 17 Sep 2007, 23:26   #11
Sjimmy
dutch tard

Sjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

i like the new skin, somehow i find it "easier" to read now
Unread 18 Sep 2007, 02:41   #12
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
Round 5-7 Default skin has always been my preferred forum skin. So long as that one doesnt dissapear i will be happy.
same here

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2007, 10:26   #13
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

The forums thermselves are good, but the top shud be more compressed, thats all
Unread 18 Sep 2007, 13:43   #14
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Not too keen on the new skins myself, not completely sure how to phrase it, they all just seem a bit, disproportional.

I think the locations of the banners needs to be re addressed. I don't get why on some of them there is two banner ads where as on a skin like 'Retro v1' there is a nice discreet one at the top.

Retro v1 is what I use, I like the Orange on Grey, it's easy on the eyes.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2007, 14:43   #15
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

I quite like the Nuclear Ashes and Mobile Infantry styles, the main 2.0 style introduces too many different colours though.

I'll stick with Retro v1!
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2007, 15:20   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Not too keen on the new skins myself, not completely sure how to phrase it, they all just seem a bit, disproportional.

I think the locations of the banners needs to be re addressed. I don't get why on some of them there is two banner ads where as on a skin like 'Retro v1' there is a nice discreet one at the top.

Retro v1 is what I use, I like the Orange on Grey, it's easy on the eyes.
basically, on the old skins we could get away with only one banner, but now the requirement is to have two.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 23 Sep 2007, 17:12   #17
Dworschi
MööööH r0x0r0r

Dworschi is an unknown quantity at this point

i like the new skin, tho the R.23 doesnt really look nice in the logo
the new graphics and style is cool and i want that back ingame !!
btw. whats so hard in implementing the login on the portal ?
and why is rnd 23 skin not finished be4 the round starts but still called rnd 23 skin ? :/
Unread 29 Sep 2007, 06:21   #18
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Need sponsers, but think the big pa banner on top could be dropped. Most of the times i read the first post in a thread i'm interested in knowing what the person has to say without scrolling, not to know that i'm discussing pa on pa-forum
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 23:39   #19
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Only just seen the new design on the forum, been way too busy with other things.

First thoughts - way too much space wasted with the header at the top (just like the portal) - login could, and probably should, be integrated into that.

Banner placement could be better, on long threads, you end up with so much wasted space at the right.

Some of the colours need a bit of tweaking, white text on grey when in advanced mode of a new post.

Certainly better than the one that was removed a while ago though.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 23:40   #20
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Unfortunatly I think the issues you've pulled out are the hardest to do anything about. If you make the top image smaller it will look insignifcant in relation to the ads, and the ads have to stay (and I don't think there is anywhere better to put them).

If you could swap the horid sky for something else (another wide perhaps?) then its really easy to 'hide' both of the banners within the content - they are known to have a much better click through rate there too - less obvious "its a banner" and more part of the content.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2007, 02:29   #21
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

possibly not constructive but for less bannerage

try R5-7, R8-9, dreammaker and R XIV (banner doesnt fit properly but the mottled grey and white txt for me and my mild dyslexia is the best colour read i've ever had on a forum )

none of theese have 2 banners .. only the top one.. no side one so the forum is as wide as the screen still.

now the 2.0's are fine well crafted designs but the posts get so squashed up because of that side banner it makes reading longer threads alot more tedious.
So putting that 2nd one elsewhere would be a good plan
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2007, 07:12   #22
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

The skin like the portal design, is horrible.
Why would anyone put their eyes trough wearing that when they have the option of using the retro skins?

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2007, 07:57   #23
zeh elite

zeh elite is on a distinguished road

The new PA Forums look and feel
that is eazy: CRAP

What tard figured out to put more advertizmnt crap then aktual infermation on 1 page. I tought most pai to play this geam.
zeh elite is offline   Reply With Quote