User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 7 Mar 2006, 12:07   #1
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute
Germany - Broadband help

I am moving to Germany sometime soon in end of March beggining of April around the Rheindahlen area.

I am after some advice on what is a good decent broadband provider out there.

Atm I am running on AOL Platinum, which costs me around £28 a month so not really fused on prices.

Usually use the internet for World of Warcraft often aswell as general other things.

I did wonder if my AOL would work out there but i am assuming it probably more than likely doesnt :/.

Any help would be appreiciated please.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2006, 13:28   #2
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Germany - Broadband help

well I use t-Online, which is an arm of Deutsche Telekom, and they seem pretty good, though I confess I have not looked around alot. I forget what I pay now, but the phone line, all phone calls and a 2Mb (I think) line come to about €70 a month, I have 2 phonelines (an incoming and an outgoing) and up to 4 numbers.

Arcor are another provider I have heard of quite alot, though one family I know had a large problem when the box broke and they refused to fix it, and they ended up paying for the phone line they couldn't use for about a year. contracts here can be a bit nasty, so watch them carefully for get out clauses.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2006, 19:00   #3
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

For 2 years i use Arcor-DSL now and i cant complain about and never had problems but i agree that their service is not the best IF you need help. ( i pay around 60 euro for 3 mbit dsl + free phonecalls in germany)

My parents are with t-online (the provider of t-com) for almost 15 years now. Problem with them is that they have way too high prices compared to others and they just hope that their customers dont switch to another company.

Big advantage for the t-com is that they are almost everywhere available unlike arcor or other smaller provider.

My advice would be to watch out for special offers especially arcor has a lot of them lately where you can save loads on base fees, clearing fees or hardware.

Another option would be to check out offers from regional providers but they are usually only in bigger cities or urban agglomerations like the ruhrgebiet, Köln/Bonn etc

Here a site that gives overview on a few providers and costs : www.onlinekosten.de

good luck

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2006, 21:14   #4
Illuvatar
Mastermind

Illuvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the rough

Get Arcor!

You dont need that expensive Telecom shit!

I'm using Arcor over a year now and it never caused any problems! With 40 Euros you got ISDN+Internet Flatrate, 3 homenumbers and thats fair enough!

Community Leader
Illuvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2006, 14:17   #5
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

However, German Telekom loves to **** around with Arcor DSL accounts as Arcor has to run them over the Telekeom network.

I agree that their offer is unbeatable by any other german provider at the moment, though. Personally I got a 2 MBit DSL account with german telekom (19 euro per month) and my flatrate from congster (7 euro per month). Sadly there's also 13 euro for the phone account which is required by german telekom.
Unread 13 Mar 2006, 12:44   #6
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Dont move there
Unread 13 Mar 2006, 12:48   #7
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
Dont move there
or move to The Netherlands where u have 20MBit ADSL with free phonecalls for only 27,50 Euro (And you get to be in the WC winning country!!!!11)
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2006, 09:39   #8
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Dont move there
Resistence is futile ...

and you can get 16 mbit DSL connections in germany too with free national phonecalls

Unread 15 Mar 2006, 18:00   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dont move there
No choice tbh.

Army sending me there

Thanks for the help all

And jupp me and nutkins got married last week \o/

Unread 15 Mar 2006, 18:37   #10
jupp
Hi there ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
No choice tbh.

Army sending me there

Thanks for the help all

And jupp me and nutkins got married last week \o/
and guess who wasnt invited . . . . .

Congratz

getting married - moving to germany - getting a nice DSL connection .. could your life be any better ?

Unread 15 Mar 2006, 21:52   #11
themast
Punk

themast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Atm I am running on AOL Platinum, which costs me around £28 a month so not really fused on prices.

get rid of that 1st
Rd6&7 4D (20:8:6) & (20:2:10) Rd14 ND (2:5:4)
Rd8 Did not play Rd15 Did not play
Rd9 4D/SWaRM (13:4:10) Rd16 ND (14:1:6)
Rd9.5 SWaRM (42:7:4) Rd17 ND (13:10:8)
Rd10 SWaRM (21:4:7) Rd18 ND (13:6:8)
Rd10.5 SWaRM (5:5:10) Rd19 ND - HC (1:9:3)
Rd11 ND (32:2:10) Rd36 ND 7:9:7
Rd12 ND (30:10:1)
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2006, 03:14   #12
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupp

Congratz

getting married - moving to germany - getting a nice DSL connection .. could your life be any better ?
That depends on the location in Germany. There is a huge difference between living in a small appartment in Dusseldorf or a big house somewhere really neat in pitoresque Bayern for instance.

(not that I have been to dusseldorf or bayern, but I can only guess)
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2006, 22:04   #13
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

bayern is one of the finest places around
good beer yeah WE invented it

und wos no bessa is es gibt weiswürscht und brezn
-> http://www.andreas-oase.de/Grafiken/weisswurst.jpg
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2006, 09:48   #14
jupp
Hi there ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
That depends on the location in Germany. There is a huge difference between living in a small appartment in Dusseldorf or a big house somewhere really neat in pitoresque Bayern for instance.

(not that I have been to dusseldorf or bayern, but I can only guess)
There is a huge difference between each person and their preferences for living as well. Where one might only need 1 room with a computer and a toilet others might want a house and a nice view on the alps where a 3rd wants a city-apartment with lots of nightlife...

i dont really get your comment anyway since you never been to germany it seems and the fact that this thread is actually about german DSL providers ...

Unread 19 Mar 2006, 22:15   #15
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I never been to Dusseldorf or Bavaria, but it doesnt mean I havent been to Germany (in fact I have been to Aachen and Berlin).
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2006, 13:38   #16
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupp

Congratz

Yeah they pay me more money for being in Germany and cars are cheaper for us \o/.
And thanks

Going to be around the monchegladbach area if that helps by the way whomever was asking about locations.

Unread 20 Mar 2006, 13:39   #17
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast
get rid of that 1st
Done.

Tbh it never let me down and instead of oweing them money they gave me £40 in my sky rocket.
Aol in someones good books for a change.