User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 27 Jul 2006, 10:38   #1
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
Pa is dying

Low number of active players, piggy all over the place, no real tactic involved, bashing lowbies gets you in the top10, alliances try to exploit every grey zone in the rules... isn't it time for some drastic mesures ?

- introduce non playing planets to increase the universe size (defended with PDS, no attack fleet). Place them in the galaxies with an incentive to defend them (NPP host Platinum roids giving + x % to the whole gal - cumulative if you steal those of other gals)
- change the races for a branched tech tree (see Gates test), with multiple targeting
- raise the bash limit
- place all the planets out of tag in autogenerated alliances (good for noobs)
- hardcode a treaty system between alliances (War-Neutral-Allied)
- re-introduce quests

ah, now i feel better
Unread 27 Jul 2006, 12:54   #2
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: Pa is dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
- introduce non playing planets to increase the universe size (defended with PDS, no attack fleet). Place them in the galaxies with an incentive to defend them (NPP host Platinum roids giving + x % to the whole gal - cumulative if you steal those of other gals)
Interesting idea to increase the universe without* the use of bots. But if those NPPs do not have a fleet and no "bot" alike logic to use fleet i fear that it would be very easy to exploit the NPPs for some kind of farming.

How do you want to avoid/lessen this problem with NPPs?

Quote:
- re-introduce quests
signed, signed and signed. Quests where one of the best changes this game ever had IMHO.

* i think you would need at least a bit of programmed logic which handles those planets. Controls their size in roids and their PDS size/type. You would also need some PATEAM people monitoring them to see if they get seriously exploited in some way which affects the game. So this suggestion would technically be like a downsized bot solution.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2006, 13:34   #3
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Bring back the quests!
They were nice and gave new ppl a place to start and learn the game. Planetarion is noob-unfriendly, so we need some sort of way to get ppl into the game.
Some suggestions for quests:
- a quest that guides ppl on how to construct their fleet and what kind of targets to attack (for example for xan: build vsh & daggers and attack a terran player)
- a quest that tells you to get on irc, then the ministers have the ablility to check "irc quest completed" on politics page to finish the quest.
- join an alliance quest

Quests like this might actually help a new player get involved into the game and understanding the game mechanics faster and integrating them into the community.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2006, 13:57   #4
InvictusVitae

InvictusVitae is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
Bring back the quests!
They were nice and gave new ppl a place to start and learn the game. Planetarion is noob-unfriendly, so we need some sort of way to get ppl into the game.
Some suggestions for quests:
- a quest that guides ppl on how to construct their fleet and what kind of targets to attack (for example for xan: build vsh & daggers and attack a terran player)
- a quest that tells you to get on irc, then the ministers have the ablility to check "irc quest completed" on politics page to finish the quest.
- join an alliance quest

Quests like this might actually help a new player get involved into the game and understanding the game mechanics faster and integrating them into the community.
And add quest rewards! It would encourage people to do these quests, as it gives them a resource boost, both for new players and old players alike.
InvictusVitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2006, 14:10   #5
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
- raise the bash limit
- hardcode a treaty system between alliances (War-Neutral-Allied)
I like these two ideas.
Unread 27 Jul 2006, 14:59   #6
aestuos
No Alliance

aestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really nice

As far as im concerned two things can make this game better

1) more players
2) me winning

seriously tho all good suggestions could be implemented to improve game but PA needs to advertise itself i always see adverts for eve and WoW

or not
aestuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2006, 17:25   #7
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvictusVitae
And add quest rewards! It would encourage people to do these quests, as it gives them a resource boost, both for new players and old players alike.
Ofcourse there should be a reward for doing quests, just like we used to have rewards for quests.
Either in the form of roids, resources or xp.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2006, 19:34   #8
SOL

SOL is on a distinguished road

i agree to,quests were a great way to start the round and help new people to learn the game,why this was taken away ill never know
Unread 27 Jul 2006, 19:37   #9
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

I did love quests, altho i kinda miss the scanning for roids thing. I remember there were ways to get an extra roid via quests before the scanners got there
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2006, 21:07   #10
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

one thing that may be of help to any planet, is to limit the number of incoming in a 8 hours period.
how many of us see 3-4-5-8-12 incoming fleet within a few hours lap of time. enough making defense impossible and bleeding dry the defending planet.

let s put a 3 fleet imcoming every 8 hours, so wether they re all together or spread out, a planet can hope to defend itself!

and the raise of bash limit is truly something i m lookinh up to.. i m getting fed up of seeing planet 100-500% my size trying to land on me on my pals.

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2006, 21:14   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rop1964
one thing that may be of help to any planet, is to limit the number of incoming in a 8 hours period.
how many of us see 3-4-5-8-12 incoming fleet within a few hours lap of time. enough making defense impossible and bleeding dry the defending planet.
Because then top alliances will get their mates to create little planets and send fleets with 1 ship in at their best players to make sure they can't be attacked by their enemies.

There's a few other reasons as well, but the first one should be enough.
Unread 7 Aug 2006, 22:53   #12
AngelSeven

AngelSeven has a spectacular aura aboutAngelSeven has a spectacular aura about

To be honest PA isnt dying as such. Its just stagnent, nothing new is happening to "entice" / "make it easier for" new people to play. So bringing back quests would be a good idea, though i hope 1:1 has an easy way to empty his mail box ...think that was a quest last time :P
AngelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 05:33   #13
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold

The problems faced are serious and very real.

First, this style of game is obsolete. It's old fashoned, and has completely lost it's novelty appeal. Yes, it can make great interactive gameplay, but most people outside the game either don't know about it, aren't willing to try it, or simply don't find it appealing.

As a knock on affect, most of the people who now play Planetarion, and particularly those who pay, are diehards who have been hooked and never escaped, or they are people who's friends have tried damn hard to bring them to the game. Either way, they play seriously. With a dwindling playerbase (albeit a slow reduction), the game becomes less and less fruitful for new players (especially those without contacts) and players who want to play the game casually.

A way around this is for the PA crew to make the game much more accessible from the point of view of a casual player (as they did in an XP heavy round), yet this would only serve to completely alienate the more traditional playerbase. As far as I can see, this is the only way forward for PA if they want to expand, but it's also a massive risk: If the core playerbase buggers off, and the marketing is either messed up or simply doesn't work, then the game will die a very quick death.

What agitates me the most about the current state of play is that the PA crew will happily spend days and months and years discussing 'what planetarion should be', primarily consulting those who read this forum (which has proven little help). They will expend serious thought and endless time on trying to resolve impossible and (let's face it) irrelevant issues such as the support planet rules. Yet behind all this 'activity', nothing is happening. The game is not progressing, and nor is it expanding. PAN has been promised for rounds, but is apparently still a non-starter. No serious decisions have been or are being taken as to the direction of the game, and no major advertising or marketing pushes have been made. Barely enough time is alotted between rounds to even derive a set of workable ship stats, nevermind actually developing the game (and giving people a decent rest).

Contrary to what it may seem for some people (myself included), Planetarion has a finite attraction: As someone put it very well elsewhere, people stay for the community and not for the game. The PA crew cannot afford for this to be the case much longer.

Makhil I like some of your ideas, I seriously dislike others. Unfortunately I don't see how any will actually help to generate any serious revival in either interest or player count. They might make things a bit more interesting for a bit longer, but revolution is what's needed and not evolution. Unfortunately, I don't think many of the more active players will like what they see if and when the game is revolutionised and relaunched.

Last edited by Furyous; 8 Aug 2006 at 05:58.
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 10:21   #14
Solar Lord

Solar Lord is an unknown quantity at this point

Back in round 3 I joined because the game was a laugh, as it was free when I got bashed I didn't care. I missed rounds 5-17 and have paid for my account this time round and it stresses me out big time that I am bashed left right and centre. The other online games I play, CS and WoW, can be stressful, but the rewards of those games are more tangeble (and CS came with half life which is still one of my favourite games ever).
PA needs a rethink, it won't last long in its current form, after I use my last two credits it will be bye bye PA for me without a serious overhaul.
Solar Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 10:24   #15
aestuos
No Alliance

aestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really nice

surely advertising wuld be a positive way forward, also maybe offer speed rounds once a month for new people only, thus giving them a small introduction to the game.

or not
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 10:44   #16
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I doubt advertising would be cost effective and effective.

To advertise in say my local paper for one week with an advert (Birmingham Mail) it costs somewhere in the region of £1-3000 likewise advertising in general is quite lucrative and thus expensive. I also doubt many people would find a game like pa interesting when games like wow, eve etc are just as time consuming but more rewarding.

Speedgame wise I doubt many new players would sit around for 24 hours playing them, and it will just be dominated by groups of players from pa taking it seriously.
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 11:28   #17
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I guess if we knew who is paid by Jolt and how much, we would understand why so little is happening. Rounds income must barely pay for the expenses. Jolt must have said : "as long as the game pays for itself we keep running it, but no way we're going to invest anything in its development..."
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 11:40   #18
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Its the sad truth I believe, not much can be done with pa. The most exciting prospect I have seen so far in the last say 3 years was the WC speedgame where we had two very even races. Was like old school pa and was very enjoyable and balanced.
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 11:45   #19
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

jolt dont care about pa and as long as they got it, it will be like this
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 18:40   #20
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

The main problem is that Jolt don't run PA very well.

They are happy to make a reasonable amount of money (a few grand I would guess) by letting people run it for free.

They are unwilling to take a risk and invest in some professionals to redesign and recode the game and thus it is still running on the shameful markup of 1999.

Most people here should be aware of the memberbase of other 'stagnant outdated text based games', and know that 1500 isn't the highest active memberbase possible.

Everyone knows the digg effect - if the game was modern, attractive and more featured it'd can advertise itself.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 19:46   #21
Nitros
Internal Error

Nitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to behold

I started playing in r3 when it was still free, just because of some rl friends were playing it and said it was a good laugh.
I got me hooked and kept playing till round 14 i think, after that i became less and less active, first scanner and then logging in once a week
At the moment i still have an account which i also login once a week to just see what the top5 alliances are..

Why did i 'quit'?
There are far more fun, challenging and creative games around these days with way more gameplay options and stuff. Also after playing so many rounds it gets boring to fight the same people and alliances round after round (low playerbase). The last rounds i played active was only because i was HC in LCH and liked the people in there and didnt want to let the down, not the fact the game was so awesome.

Just my personal experience

ps. I agree with the posters above regarding Jolt and the re-introducing of quests

[]LCH[] ..lets change history
Nitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 20:17   #22
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

For the most part this type of game does not appeal to many game players out there. Text based and strategy games are hard sells to most gammers.

I would like to see the Capture the Flag introduced in a regular round where the flags themselves would give the alliance holding them extra points. Points that based on the current Alliance score could be stolen over and over again. As an added effect to keep a small planet from holding onto a flag since nobody could land on them would be that the flag holders value would temporarily be equal to the universe average if that planet did not already have a value that was the universe average or higher.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 23:23   #23
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous
First, this style of game is obsolete. It's old fashoned, and has completely lost it's novelty appeal. Yes, it can make great interactive gameplay, but most people outside the game either don't know about it, aren't willing to try it, or simply don't find it appealing.
The fact it's a simple web based game could be considered one of its main selling points. However the game does need updating to keep it fresh, as well as the main website which is supposed to advertise it. A typical example of how stale the game is would be the ingame skins, having a round 14 skin in round 18 is a bit pathetic.

Quote:
What agitates me the most about the current state of play is that the PA crew will happily spend days and months and years discussing 'what planetarion should be', primarily consulting those who read this forum (which has proven little help). They will expend serious thought and endless time on trying to resolve impossible and (let's face it) irrelevant issues such as the support planet rules. Yet behind all this 'activity', nothing is happening. The game is not progressing, and nor is it expanding. PAN has been promised for rounds, but is apparently still a non-starter. No serious decisions have been or are being taken as to the direction of the game, and no major advertising or marketing pushes have been made. Barely enough time is alotted between rounds to even derive a set of workable ship stats, nevermind actually developing the game (and giving people a decent rest).
Strongly agree.

There are many areas which need drastic improvements, all we get is a few minor changes every round. The current PA team is doing a reasonable job at keeping the game going, but nothing new has appeared for a long time.

jolt should be taking a much more active role in ensuring the game is being developed, instead of just leaving a few volunteers to come up with ideas which don't get implemented.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2006, 04:15   #24
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robban1
jolt dont care about pa and as long as they got it, it will be like this
Its not that they don't care. PA is probably the only place besides a half-way house for homeless people, where someone is always complaining, but you get those same people coming back no matter what. Jolt have PA running on the first ever gaming server, that gets skipped over when the techs come in to do maintenance. PA money is only profit because they have this crazy rare group of people that work for free. Imagine you have a server in your bedroom under your bed, and 1500 people pay you every 3 months to play some game on it.

I don't think the features of PA is what is hurting it, I think the entire game engine itself. PA should have expanded. PA should have been EVE or something.
Unread 9 Aug 2006, 09:25   #25
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
What agitates me the most about the current state of play is that the PA crew will happily spend days and months and years discussing 'what planetarion should be', primarily consulting those who read this forum (which has proven little help). They will expend serious thought and endless time on trying to resolve impossible and (let's face it) irrelevant issues such as the support planet rules. Yet behind all this 'activity', nothing is happening. The game is not progressing, and nor is it expanding. PAN has been promised for rounds, but is apparently still a non-starter. No serious decisions have been or are being taken as to the direction of the game, and no major advertising or marketing pushes have been made.
quoted so someone reads this again and notes it's truth
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2006, 12:54   #26
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Can't be emphasised enough.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2006, 20:42   #27
Woodcutter

Woodcutter is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a few suggestions myself

introduce 3 more fleets but these can only be researched and it takes away something, example are
4 fleets - unable to research hypergate
5 fleets - unable to research hypergate and produce Battleships and Cruiser
6 fleets - unable to research hypergate, Battleships and Cruisers and fleet scan

Zik - only has 2 or 3 types of ships that can steal, i.e. one type of Battleship that steal Destroyers or Cruiser's

Cat - only have 2 or 3 types of ships that can freeze ships, i.e. one type of Destroyers that freeze Cruiser's or Battleships

Xan\Ter - have the ability to 'teleport' ships back to the attackers base but have a 10 tick (or how ever long it would take to return) inactive period, also these cant be attacked if the planet has incoming with in the 10 ticks and again make only 2 or 3 types of ships that can do this

Salvage decreases the bigger your are, so if the attacking planet is say what ever percentage bigger than the planets who is getting attacked the planet gets that percentage or set pre % bands i.e. if the attacking planet is 90% bigger than the planet who is getting attack, the attacked planet would receive 75% salvage or if the attacking planet was say 74% bigger than the planet who's getting attacked, the accked planet would only get 50%

Ship salvage from stolen ships is set at 25% no matter what size, as the current no salvage from stolen ships is a little unfair on defending planets\fleets

Zik race to have a 10% cap on all ships stolen

Bring back the resource bonus for ministers, 2500 each for GC and 1000 for the others, and say a 5% bonus if they do there job right

PA could be more a bit more fair and also could attact new players and keep players playing, with a little more interest and tactical

Last edited by Woodcutter; 9 Aug 2006 at 21:35.
Woodcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2006, 21:31   #28
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

Ergh, hate the idea of non-player-planets! Ive always been fond of lowering the bash limit thou, but im biased on that front of things

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2006, 15:56   #29
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutter
i have a few suggestions myself

introduce 3 more fleets but these can only be researched and it takes away something, example are
4 fleets - unable to research hypergate
5 fleets - unable to research hypergate and produce Battleships and Cruiser
6 fleets - unable to research hypergate, Battleships and Cruisers and fleet scan

Zik - only has 2 or 3 types of ships that can steal, i.e. one type of Battleship that steal Destroyers or Cruiser's

Cat - only have 2 or 3 types of ships that can freeze ships, i.e. one type of Destroyers that freeze Cruiser's or Battleships

Xan\Ter - have the ability to 'teleport' ships back to the attackers base but have a 10 tick (or how ever long it would take to return) inactive period, also these cant be attacked if the planet has incoming with in the 10 ticks and again make only 2 or 3 types of ships that can do this

Salvage decreases the bigger your are, so if the attacking planet is say what ever percentage bigger than the planets who is getting attacked the planet gets that percentage or set pre % bands i.e. if the attacking planet is 90% bigger than the planet who is getting attack, the attacked planet would receive 75% salvage or if the attacking planet was say 74% bigger than the planet who's getting attacked, the accked planet would only get 50%

Ship salvage from stolen ships is set at 25% no matter what size, as the current no salvage from stolen ships is a little unfair on defending planets\fleets

Zik race to have a 10% cap on all ships stolen

Bring back the resource bonus for ministers, 2500 each for GC and 1000 for the others, and say a 5% bonus if they do there job right

PA could be more a bit more fair and also could attact new players and keep players playing, with a little more interest and tactical
This sort of post is exactly what's WRONG with PA development. Fiddling around with small details is NOT going to suddenly attract lots of new players (OR keep them) - yet that's about all PA Team seem capable of doing. The problems are more fundamental than how many fleet slots people have or what precisely the salvage rates are.
Unread 11 Aug 2006, 16:29   #30
Woodcutter

Woodcutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe its about time that PA introduced some tactics for a change, you know get the old brain working, and maybe different routes would do that, bring more enjoyment out of the game and more interest instead of having the same thing someone else has 100 places up

here's another idea,

introducing different 'structures' and 'research' for different races and each race has more pro's and cons like Ter could mine more resources from factories but cant pass news scan and cant mine more than 800 roids, while Zik can get up to fleet scan but can't use more than 100 constructions and only has covert ops

the way things are going the top players staying at the 'top' and the new players leaving after a few weeks and get put in c200 or into a galaxy of players that hardly play, why what fun that is
Woodcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 01:53   #31
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Quit tinkering with the numbers and tell Jolt that all of pateam will quit if they don't get their heads out of the sand and sort something out.

The game needs a recode and a new brand.

How Jolt can run a business like this is ridiculous, with volunteers earning them money, and with no disrespect I think in part pateam are naive for working for free.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 16:29   #32
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

"Ive always been fond of lowering the bash limit thou" --->LukeyLove

you really think that lowering an already low bashing limit gonna attack players? try being the one getting bashed day in day out in a weak or medium galaxy.. for a full round, then we ll talk...

as say the bash limit should be upped, or penalty to score put in so bigger planet fight decent planet.. not hopelessly undefendable target!

give the new player/ low player a chance to grow and learn.. not blast then to oblivion and dislike of a game we want to grow..

Unread 15 Aug 2006, 16:39   #33
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

you really think that lowering an already low bashing limit gonna attack players? try being the one getting bashed day in day out in a weak or medium galaxy.. for a full round, then we ll talk...

as say the bash limit should be upped, or penalty to score put in so bigger planet fight decent planet.. not hopelessly undefendable target!

give the new player/ low player a chance to grow and learn.. not blast then to oblivion and dislike of a game we want to grow..
Try being the one with 10 targets, 8 of which are in your galaxy and/or alliance, then we'll talk...

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 16:50   #34
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

i say we need to reduce the number of players in the galaxies to spread the incs abit more, and to lessen the piggyback effect. How about starting out with 7 players in each galaxy and take it from there?
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 17:01   #35
rop1964
F Crew

arfy.. you make me cry... cant find a planet with enough roid on your size? i ll help you find some.. just give me your value and fleet composition..

really.. if bashing is the way planetarion want to go.. then you ll be playing with 100 ppls in a few years.. cause no one like to be bash round in, round out.

big players that can cant attack someone in top 150 (i mean top 100) are either just lazy or cowards i say.. .. being big means you ll get more incomings which, with your ally and gal mate should be easy enough to defend.. but when you re defenseless, there s no way an alliance or galaxy is gonna waste ressource to help you, cause they probably cant help anyway!

advocating for more bashing will only kill the interest of new and medium players...

Unread 16 Aug 2006, 09:42   #36
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

By "big" do you mean people in the top100, or big as in the top10? As atm the 10th placed person only has 100 possible targets within his bash, thus could not possibly hit outside of the top100.

I suppose by definition #1 is a nasty basher
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 11:38   #37
Saphi
Leo's Pwn :P

Saphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these parts

With NPP's it also helps out the p[layers that have started half way throguh the rd.... to have a chance of getting up to the top.....

the problem is with this is how long is it allowed to go on for..

also we need to go back to the old style of tech tree and reintroduce ...If u go down one bracnch u cant go down the other.

as as for ther p2p online game i belong to 2 of them as well CoH/V and RFO
and what exactly does jolt do cept from take money from us... ive been playing for eons in this game and a couple of rds i have drop out coz of the stats ..... Im noe finding other games which tbh are more friendly based and not so hardcore as this game is. but i will still play this game and one day hope that these probs are sorted out and actually smt is done bout taking this game forward ... but multi targeting ... is old school ... i thought we were moving forward not back
------------------------------------------------
The answers you seek are not here
Saphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 13:10   #38
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:

Typical F-Crew whinging. You do realise that people are meant to attack you? Without a strong alliance or good galaxy backing you up (preferably both) then of course you will be roided. I have a decent rank and yet my entire galaxy bar 2 people are orange. I am roided all the time which forces me to use tactics based around having a low resource income.

It seems to me you are not making the best of the situation, preferring instead to bitch and moan. If you want a top rank then join an alliance other than F-Crew and take the time to build a strong buddypack of decent players instead of just friends. Then take the time to organise what each type of fleet player builds, which defships are available, who will cover nightshifts, dayshifts, evenings. Who will DC when incs happen etc etc.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 15:16   #39
aestuos
No Alliance

I think the problem is for a new player PA is hard to play and to compete with us Good players, lets face it probably 80% of PA players know how to play proplerly the other 20% dont and will leave unless there dedicated.

Us having players what 10 rounds on average will spend a long time on irc, if you were new to a game would you chose PA where u look at a chat client to be active or eVe or WoW where its graphically attractive i know what i would choose.

PA used to be good as a new player could be average when we used to have 10k to 15k planets it was fun now with what 2k max planets were all to good. We have maxed out the game and basically new players dont have a chance and wont chose to play it

thats what i think

or not
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 15:29   #40
TouRiQueT
-Narcissus.Narcosis-

TouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these parts

Thing is there are more games to choose from on pcs or gaming consoles which do not require you to spend your life playing them. Lets face it planetarion takes up a lot of time and requires you to be active at obcene hours of the night (europeans). Don't get me wrong, I love this game, its awesome but its not practical and there are some pretty sweet alternatives.

In my opinion we need new ownership because I haven't really seen Jolt putting much effort into promotion or development. They're quite happy sitting back and allowing this game to generate a few thousand pounds a year. They don't have to pay anyone to run it, all the staff do it because they want to and the cost of the servers must be pretty minimal... Its sad for us...
________
AVANDIA LAWYER

Last edited by TouRiQueT; 13 Sep 2011 at 07:02.
TouRiQueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 15:54   #41
aestuos
No Alliance

if PA turns to PAN it might live but expecting people to develop it for free is silly, Jolt needs to pay people to run the game, but the chances of that are as likely as seeing an American bald eagle trying to catch a dodo

or not
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 16:10   #42
TouRiQueT
-Narcissus.Narcosis-

TouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these parts

Thats pretty uncool. How can Jolt not pay the coder? I'm sure they pay the coder... I mean Jolt couldn't allow someone to spend a huge amount of time coding something like that and not compensate them... Could they?
________
COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited by TouRiQueT; 13 Sep 2011 at 07:02.
TouRiQueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 19:07   #43
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

lol:S Whoops, i read the original thread wrong.. i thought he was proposing lowering the bash limit not raising it :S Well i think ppl have to consider the players at the top of the rankings as well, gets abit boring for some towards the end when theres a severely limited list they physically hit and when alliances and naps are brought into account a possibly even smaller amount!

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 19:38   #44
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyLove
lol:S Whoops, i read the original thread wrong.. i thought he was proposing lowering the bash limit not raising it :S Well i think ppl have to consider the players at the top of the rankings as well, gets abit boring for some towards the end when theres a severely limited list they physically hit and when alliances and naps are brought into account a possibly even smaller amount!
Nothing forces top planets to nap the universe.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 22:43   #45
randal
boring

randal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to all

Exiling should be drastically reduced (as pointed out in a PD thread).
What was trying to get some new or unexperienced player to at least join IRC and attack a little bit in the past, and eventually get him really involved, simply because he is in your Galaxy which you want to grow, is like "Do we have 3 people online? - Ye - Ye - Ye - K, appointed, go vote pls" now.

Free planets should be given more options I guess tho. With what they have now, they hardly get a taste of the game, or can join an alliance or whatever. And blindly paying isn't really what people do I guess.

I'm not an expert in marketing and stuff I guess, but shouldn't there at least be some methods that don't cost in the end.
A freaky Youtube vid probably won't work for PA, but with all those people who seem to have alot of time, shouldn't there be something of the kind to come up with, and those people rewared, may it be just with free credits or whatever..
Or simple affiliate programs for webmasters or just for normal guys (who get others to sign up entering their email as referrer), where you get one credit (or simply money, as it doesn't matter anyway) for 3-5 referred payers or whatever..

As said I'm not into that stuff (at least not in the non-porn area ha ha, there affiliates programs work excellent tho), but I don't see Anything at all that's done (ok, the Game of the Month thing), and this is just an example.

I agree that it's truly annoying how there's weeks of discussion about Alliance Scanner Funds or whatever that was, which still is on the Overview for about a Month now, which has close to zero actual effect on the Gameplay from my view.
Ofc I'm not really in an Alliance so I can't enjoy all those excellent features, but jeez all they do is Scan. People have scanned since Round 1, without all these freaky features. And it worked, didn't it.
Those Alliance guys are already playing and probably paying, or do you think there would be mass quittages if you didn't implement the Alliance Scanner Fund right now.

The bash limit, in my eyes, should be stricter aswell.. Maybe base it on rank rather than on score/value (now as XP isn't as extreme anymore), so you can only attack people max. 100-200 ranks below you or whatever.
"Top people" shouldn't complain about no targets or whatever, as it's solely their Alliances' fault to nap with everyone.
We bitched more than everyone aswell when legion, furby and reborn were together in round3, roided all of the universe, and had nothing left to hit. Until we, brave as we were, decided to attack Reborn. Hoorray.
randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 23:13   #46
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Oh please, stop those 'PA is dying'....

We all know it, its been said since round 5, PA is still here. Everything dies at some point

End of discussion, end of wasting time.

P.S.: If your intention was to suggest a good i idea, i suggest a more positive post, and please post all ideas seperate, or it will be a mess
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 23:44   #47
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Erm, its not the bash limit fellas. The issue is that not many people play serious anymore. Thus smaller planets. Thus the people who are playing serious only have a small pool of players to attack. Each other. Thats the way it should be if you think about it.
Unread 19 Aug 2006, 01:27   #48
rop1964
F Crew

well.. i do think the "bash limit " have an effect on new and low level player.. i dare you to note the guys inthe rank 800 and less that will signed up next round.. i m pretty sure we ll see a drop in their numbers.. as well as in the mid level (rank 250-600) as they re getting attack by player 2m 3m 4 time their value.. i heard player say they wont be returning next round, cause it s a waste od time to play this game (build ships and construction, and seeing destroyed by players who are far larger than themselves) !

the fact that players who are very big can raid and obliterate other ppls fleet/construction/roid with inpunity is a bad thing.. as new player get dishearten and their spirirt and interest crushed...

and i m not even talking about some alliances politic (making pack within the top 10) or the ongoing nap.. or the scheduled multi raid vs 1 planet (4-8-20 fleet attacking the same planet till there s nothing left!)

those kind of behavior will only hurt the player base as more see abuse..

Unread 19 Aug 2006, 01:50   #49
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Please rop1964 - try to see things realistically. The point of this game is to own the most militarily powerful planet that you can. You need to feed down the line, you need to make your fleet have the best composition that you can for your number of roids. Everybody gets roided and gets on with it.

P.S. At first I thought "this guy must be a vegetarian - he doesn't like killing things smaller than himself such as a chicken or a sausage". But now I see you're just a retard who wouldn't eat vegetables because they can't defend themselves. RIGHT?!

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2006, 02:41   #50
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
Please rop1964 - try to see things realistically. The point of this game is to own the most militarily powerful planet that you can. You need to feed down the line, you need to make your fleet have the best composition that you can for your number of roids. Everybody gets roided and gets on with it.

P.S. At first I thought "this guy must be a vegetarian - he doesn't like killing things smaller than himself such as a chicken or a sausage". But now I see you're just a retard who wouldn't eat vegetables because they can't defend themselves. RIGHT?!
Best post i think ive ever read of yours arfy.

Talking of bashing i got mailed by some idiot who said hed help me play pa as clearly i have no idea attacking planets who have only just come out of protection to get the much craved freshly initiated roids. The more roids you have the better unless ofcourse your 1up and just steal everyone elses ships instead then crash your fleets and start again. Who says xp is no longer about
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote