User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 13 Apr 2005, 01:55   #51
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Business Studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
LOOK AT ME, I'VE GOT A MASTERS IN BUSINESS AND A $125,000 DEBT, BUT HAVE ONLY EVER WORKED IN MICKEY D'S, CAN I HAVE A JOB NOW MR. BOSS-MAN PLEASE?
A lot of my friends at university have slipped quite easily into graduate schemes at various financial institues.

This is regardless of which degree they did. It is based on the level of degree though.
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 02:10   #52
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Degrees have become as common place as A-levels, or at least they will be in 10 years. You're building the idea of a degree up to being one of the highest academic achievements you can get, which it simply isn't anymore.

The reason a lot of people go to university is just because it's the natural progression. A lot of jobs want a degree, and don't care what that degree is in. I chose a Business and Management degree because I didn't know what to do, but I knew I wanted to go to university. Looking back, I should have done one in English or similar really.

The type of degree you do isn't important to most employers, it's the type you get, and how far you progress with it (Masters, or Doctorate).
Yes, and that, quite frankly, is bollocks. There is a value to learning for its own sake. University shouldn't be just another step towards that receptionist's job you've always wanted. It is not for everyone: not everyone likes to learn.
It agravates me, this equal-opportunities business.
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 08:08   #53
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I did a degree in politics because I was interested in it, and wanted basically a greater enlightenment. I knew full well it wouldn't be any use to me in a career, but that's not why I did the degree. I always figured I'd end up working in an IT type job but I didn't want to do a "vocational" degree.

The only reason I might initially look down on someone with a business studies degree is because it doesn't strike me as a degree that you'd do because you had a passion for but precisely because it is orientated towards being "useful" in the career market. There might be some people who find the topic fascinating in which case fair enough. I'd imagine most people who really enjoy business studies at A-Levels (I thought it was pretty interesting) would go on to do Economics at a degree level.

Quite frankly everyone who thinks a degree should be "useful" should be consigned to some sort of BTEC in Leisure and Tourism or Woodwork or whatever it is they send young offenders on these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
It is not for everyone: not everyone likes to learn.
I've yet to meet someone who didn't like to learn something. What isn't necessarily for everyone is the deadlines and discipline that this kind of structured learning implies. I don't think it's right for me for instance. I really like writing in my own time but as soon as I get a set piece of work to do I end up not doing it. But I'm sure it's ace for some people.

But even the person who wants to leave school at 12 and hates reading or whatever generally likes learning something, even if it's about football, cooking, drugs, music or whatever.
Quote:
It agravates me, this equal-opportunities business.
Why? Fair enough, if someone doesn't like university style-learning they don't have to go. But if they do or want to give it a try, why begrudge them the chance? Being aggravated by additional opportunities seems fairly bizarre.

I don't really care how many other people have degrees or in what subjects on the whole. It seems rather insecure to be worried that your degree is being devalued because other people are getting them. Who cares? Do you think that your spiritual worth is somehow tied up in your degree? Because if you do, then quite frankly you're an utter faggot.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 09:19   #54
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

I agree completely Dante, i've never done a degree with a mind to "this is what i need for my career". I made my degree choices based upon what i found interesting. For example, i'm currently studying for a Law degree part time, i doubt i will ever use it, it's just a topic i wanted to know more about. I'm fairly sure i would struggle to apply myself to a subject picked purely for career advancement.

Something i've done is study all my degree's part time, this add's a year onto each degree, but allows you to continue working. Is/has anyone else done/doing the same?
________
AVANDIA DEATH

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 06:58.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 09:35   #55
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I've yet to meet someone who didn't like to learn something. What isn't necessarily for everyone is the deadlines and discipline that this kind of structured learning implies. I don't think it's right for me for instance. I really like writing in my own time but as soon as I get a set piece of work to do I end up not doing it. But I'm sure it's ace for some people.
I have the exact same problem. I love hobbying around and learning new stuff, but as soon as it's compulsory and am not allowed to take my mind off it whenever I like, I don't really enjoy it anymore.

I've had thoughts about the change of the education system in the past, which involved free-choice of learning for students. Learn whatever you want, as long as you enjoy it. I'm a firm believer that better results can be achieved if the morale of the student (or worker for that matter) is highest.
However, ever since I started working I came to realise it's not a workable system that fits in our commercially focussed society, or even fits the basic nature of people.
Companies are focussed on producing a final product, and in that whole process you need people to do unpleasant jobs. So you can't have people mess around doing whatever they like, because you'll never get something finished.
And then there's human nature. People are generally lazy, so you won't get anything done at all if people could just choose.
So students wouldn't learn a thing if you didn't put somesort of pressure on them.
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 14:45   #56
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Yeah, if someone was really passionate about a subject and really got into it i'd probably say it wasn't a mickey mouse subject for them.

If you did a degree in just about anything and it really stimulated and expanded your mind you'd probably make quite a good employee providing you had the skill for the job or the willingness to learn the skills.

I suppose this could be applied to Business, but you'd have to be quite a particular person for that, and there seems to be simply too many people doing business for everyone to be that particular.

I did Business as an A-level, and there just didn't seem to be that much room for creativity, or anything that would actually expand your mind.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 15:36   #57
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It depends why you're doing it. It does seem to be a bit of a 'hey I want to go to uni but I'm not sure what to study' type choice, but then I dont really know what they teach so I've no idea how relevant it is to someone who actually wants to go into business. I'm under the impression that most major companies dont really care what subject you studied, but then it might be different if youre wanting to start your own business or something like that.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 15:38   #58
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The only reason I might initially look down on someone with a business studies degree is because it doesn't strike me as a degree that you'd do because you had a passion for but precisely because it is orientated towards being "useful" in the career market.

Quite frankly everyone who thinks a degree should be "useful" should be consigned to some sort of BTEC in Leisure and Tourism or Woodwork or whatever it is they send young offenders on these days..
what
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 15:52   #59
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:

But even the person who wants to leave school at 12 and hates reading or whatever generally likes learning something, even if it's about football, cooking, drugs, music or whatever.
I meant a specific type of academic learning, as you well know. Just so we're clear, though, I think learning about Music is an academic subject.

Quote:
Why? Fair enough, if someone doesn't like university style-learning they don't have to go. But if they do or want to give it a try, why begrudge them the chance? Being aggravated by additional opportunities seems fairly bizarre.
They don't have to go, but they probably will. University is looked upon by the government as a natural passage into employment. This should not be the case. As you've already said, university really should be a place to broaden your horizons, to learn a subject that you are really interested in, not just a sunject that you think provides a ticket into your dream job.
University is not for everyone. This, I think, is obvious. Making it the default choice for all students past A-levels is a big mistake.

Quote:
I don't really care how many other people have degrees or in what subjects on the whole. It seems rather insecure to be worried that your degree is being devalued because other people are getting them. Who cares? Do you think that your spiritual worth is somehow tied up in your degree? Because if you do, then quite frankly you're an utter faggot.
I care, because I think degrees are being 'dumbed down'. I think that it's important that degrees are challenging and require dedication. At the moment, I do not think that is the case.
Personally, I do not worry about my qualification being devalued, but I do worry about the quality of the teaching. And no, I don't think God rates me on my degree.
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 16:54   #60
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
IThis should not be the case. As you've already said, university really should be a place to broaden your horizons, to learn a subject that you are really interested in, not just a sunject that you think provides a ticket into your dream job.
Why on earth not?