User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Apr 2005, 15:36   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
Business Studies

Mickey Mouse subject?
Discuss.

Half the people at my uni seem to be doing it (i'm also including marketing and all that gubbins), plus the majority of all the Chinese students.

Actually, two things to discuss.

1) Is it a micky mouse subject?
2) Surely a job in such a field will lead to ultimate dissappointment when you realise all your intellilectual wealth is going to towards someone elses monetry wealth and a souless corporation?; and that profession isn't helping your happiness one iota. I am, of course, assuming that the money you may gain by studying this subject won't make you happy - if you dissagree - you are wrong.

Thanks.

Oh, and Richard Branson left school at 16 and he's probably the most successful British businessman in a very long time.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 15:40   #2
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Business Studies

'The first thing we'll do, let's kill all the Business students.'
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 15:44   #3
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Business Studies

I am studying it and it is not totally Mickey Mouse, but some stuff is so easy, that if I knew I was going to study this I would've chosen a second study. Now I am just too lazy to do another....
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 15:46   #4
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
I am studying it
Why does this not surprise me.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 15:46   #5
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Because you assumed he did Business studies before he told you?
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:08   #6
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I always considered Business Studies an easier version of Economics really. That may be slightly unfair as I never studied it but at A level our teacher sometimes give us the business studies papers to do as preperation for our exams as certain parts overlapped but even the sections that didn't we could nearly always answer well.

In my first year I also had a few modules overlap with the business studies students and they were definatly the ones that seemed the most pointless. From what I have seen of my friends work then who are doing that course fully as a degree not much seems to have changed this year for them either and it still seems like a really crap course.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:10   #7
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My brother did a degree in Business Administration, or dBA, or DO BUGGER ALL

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:13   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
Oh, and Richard Branson left school at 16 and he's probably the most successful British businessman in a very long time.
Richard Branson is a shit example because he doesn't create good businesses, he creates a whole swamp of bad businesses and a pile of cash for himself.

Unless that's what you mean by "successful".
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:14   #9
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Unless that's what you mean by "successful".
He has more money than us, Mark.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:17   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
He has more money than us, Mark.
Yeah, but we're both taller than him.

And my sum total of "things I had to do today" amounted to going out and buying a bin. Aside from that, I've read the online news, played FM2005, did some erging while watching B5 and am about to play Zelda III on my new tv.

Branson can go suck it.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:21   #11
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Today I've got up, listened to 'You and Yours', and walked to the computer lab and ate a bun.

I think that means I'm more successful than a millionaire tycoon.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:23   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
I think that means I'm more successful than a millionaire tycoon.
He tries too hard.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:25   #13
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

its not a traditional subject like Law, medicine, history, chemistry, politics, psychology, philosophy, also most people who do it seem to have no clue about anything...
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:26   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
its not a traditional subject like Law, medicine, history, chemistry, politics, psychology, philosophy
PSYCHOLOGY?

Also, you forgot the study of Literature.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:31   #15
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
PSYCHOLOGY?
Freud was born in the 19th century.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:31   #16
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
its not a traditional subject like Law, medicine, history, chemistry, politics, psychology, philosophy, also most people who do it seem to have no clue about anything...
Law - Worthwhile
Medicine - Worthwhile
History - Mickey Mouse
Chemistry - Worthwhile
Politics - Mickey Mouse
Psychology - Mickey Mouse
Philosophy - Mickey Mouse
Literature - Mickey Mouse

Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:33   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
You also forgot physics.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:34   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
and biology.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:34   #19
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Why is it that Chinese students do seem to have monopolised the Business Studies departments?
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:35   #20
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Yes it is a mickey mouse subject
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:35   #21
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

He forgot Mathematics too :(

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:36   #22
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Law - Worthwhile
Medicine - Worthwhile
History - Mickey Mouse
Chemistry - Worthwhile
Politics - Mickey Mouse
Psychology - Mickey Mouse
Literature - Mickey Mouse
You sound like you belong at a Polytech.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:37   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
History - Mickey Mouse
What exactly is wrong with these two fellows?
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:38   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
He forgot Mathematics too
And yet he includes psychology.

BURN HIM.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:39   #25
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
You sound like you belong at a [B[Polytech[/b].
Strangely enough, I went to Coventry [b[Polytechnic[/b] and did Combined Engineering with French*

* Well I did for two years, after that I worked on French campsites getting drunk and shagging. Go me.

Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:43   #26
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
What exactly is wrong with these two fellows?
Well, history is borderline, but Philosophy?

Give me a break.

Your coursework this week is to go and think hard. Really hard. Then write down why your thinking is better than other people's thinking which is why you should have a degree in it.

MICKEY MOUSE

Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:44   #27
Boogster
I dunno...

In my opinion, University is for learning and not thinly veiled apprenticeships, and it is one of my chief grievances with Tony Blair.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:46   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:

Give me a break.

Your coursework this week is to go and think hard. Really hard. Then write down why your thinking is better than other people's thinking which is why you should have a degree in it.

MICKEY MOUSE
Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.

Those bastards, using "critical analysis" and "logic"!
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:47   #29
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Give me a break.

MICKEY MOUSE
youre probably correct, but you get as much out so i hear, as as much you put in, there is alot to learn in history, politics, philosophy, psychology etc etc so I hear
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:48   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
In my opinion, University is for learning and not thinly veiled apprenticeships, and it is one of my chief grievances with Tony Blair.
"Theology" is a thinly valied apprenticeship for the church, but I don't see you complaining at all about universities before, say, the middle of the 19th century.

Furthermore, the main problem that most people have with Blair's "50% in uni" policy is that it isn't a thinly veiled apprenticeship.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:49   #31
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Anything that isn't a science and a traditional science at that is mickey mouse end of story.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:49   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Anything that isn't a science and a traditional science at that is mickey mouse end of story.
The study and development of the philosophy of science isn't a science, yet the subjects you're talking about would be pretty screwed without it.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:50   #33
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I had a course about business & management during my computer engineering study. It's all so logical.
Study project management instead, without the business side. It's much more interesting.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:50   #34
pig
1up on you

so what are the traditional subjects?
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:50   #35
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.

Sitting around arguing with each other for four years in an attempt to prove that your logic and reasoning is better than somone elses.

YES, I SHALL NOW GIVE YOU A HIGHLY PAID AND RESPONSIBLE POSITION IN MY COMPANY.

Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:51   #36
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
so what are the traditional subjects?
Theology and mathematics. Nothing else really existed until 150 years ago.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:52   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Sitting around arguing with each other for four years in an attempt to prove that your logic and reasoning is better than somone elses.

There's no room for critical thinking and analysis in this business!
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:52   #38
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Theology and mathematics. Nothing else really existed until 150 years ago.
true.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:52   #39
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:

Just go into the exam and write "I think, therefore I am" on every paper and you should pass philosophy. If you dont want to be screwed over for plagiarising Descartes add an "innit" at the end.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:53   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
Just go into the exam and write "I think, therefore I am" on every paper and you should pass philosophy.
"Should", maybe. "Will", definitely not.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 16:53   #41
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

(good) Programmers and software engineers would be much more qualified for that position. Their are trained to be logical. Their only drawback is that they talk too much techno-bable (sp?) for anyone on the workfloor to understand.

Business people are actually softwarepeople who can't make software but know how to talk slick.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 17:07   #42
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
There's no room for critical thinking and analysis in this business!
I'll take experience every time, thanks.

The logical choice based on the available facts may not always prove to be the most effective choice.

Unread 12 Apr 2005, 17:12   #43
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
I always considered Business Studies an easier version of Economics really.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 17:18   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I'll take experience every time, thanks.
You're creating a false dichotomy. Obviously someone experienced in the business would perform better (or at least there would be a trend showing this) than someone inexperienced, but the only person suggesting you put them high up straight away was you. Put business studies graduates in with a similar lack of training and they won't do very well either. Training would presumeably be given and, whilst it is true that the business studies students would have an initial advantage, it would be more difficult to examine where limitations exist because it's entirely possible that they've learnt what they've learnt by rote, and they may not be competent to expand their capacities further with a lack of a similar structure to that which they are familiar with. Furthermore, you're putting forward an interpretation of what a "philosophy degree" entails which is at odds with the known details of such a degree.

Quote:
The logical choice based on the available facts may not always prove to be the most effective choice.
If it's not the most effective choice of those available, then it's not the most logical choice, is it? Going with hunches and the like isn't a particularly good business strategy.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 17:53   #45
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

It depends if you have the experience to know what's effective or what you've read in a book says is effective.

Unread 12 Apr 2005, 17:55   #46
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I wish I'd done either Computing and Business or Computing and Management, I think they would have been more fun than computer science on it's own
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 18:46   #47
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Degrees have become as common place as A-levels, or at least they will be in 10 years. You're building the idea of a degree up to being one of the highest academic achievements you can get, which it simply isn't anymore.

The reason a lot of people go to university is just because it's the natural progression. A lot of jobs want a degree, and don't care what that degree is in. I chose a Business and Management degree because I didn't know what to do, but I knew I wanted to go to university. Looking back, I should have done one in English or similar really.

The type of degree you do isn't important to most employers, it's the type you get, and how far you progress with it (Masters, or Doctorate).
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 19:03   #48
Weeks
Banned

Quote:
Why is it that Chinese students do seem to have monopolised the Business Studies departments?
All the chinese students I know would actually like to be doing something else but their parents expect/demand them to do business. Probably to do with the Chinese econmic boom, and the fact your parents probably wouldnt be too chuffed if you travelled half way around the world, expected them to pay 8 grand a year on top of living expensives, and then studied Dance and Criminology.

Also, I know of noone who's actually passionate about business.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 20:09   #49
zakoff
Evul Critter

zakoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
The type of degree you do isn't important to most employers, it's the type you get, and how far you progress with it (Masters, or Doctorate).
absolutely. get a First or a 2.1 or you have basically wasted 3years of your life. You get a similar set of 'skills' from most degrees.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 20:41   #50
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
LOOK AT ME, I'VE GOT A MASTERS IN BUSINESS AND A $125,000 DEBT, BUT HAVE ONLY EVER WORKED IN MICKEY D'S, CAN I HAVE A JOB NOW MR. BOSS-MAN PLEASE?