User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 8 May 2006, 18:15   #1
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Linux and Windows Compared: The Facts!

Here it is finally, the proof that Windows is better then Linux

Linux and Windows Compared: The Factsl
Unread 8 May 2006, 18:26   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Linux and Windows Compared: The Facts!

sure, if you like buggy, 'security by obscurity', 'embrace and extinguish' and borderline incompetant approaches to computing

For the rest of us, we'll make our own mind up tyvm without having some fanboys quoting articles to prove a policical point ( even if its done in an ironic/sarcastic and barely amusing manner )

Personally, im a fan of "the right tool for the right job" approach, and in such an approach anyone using windows on a server where it is not absolutely necessary due to managerial incompetance when choosing solutions ( eew asp/iis/vb etc ) needs to be shot.

Last edited by Phil^; 8 May 2006 at 18:33.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2006, 19:25   #3
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I think that article is a piss-take...
Unread 9 May 2006, 23:22   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhuuuummmm!

The sound of the satire going over Phil's head
Unread 9 May 2006, 23:25   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhuuuummmm!

The sound of the satire going over Phil's head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
( even if its done in an ironic/sarcastic and barely amusing manner )
It didnt escape me, i was more having a rant at being fed up of people quoting articles to 'prove' one way or another which is best for all things.
Unread 10 May 2006, 06:01   #6
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

The take i always tell people that ask

Linux:

a day to install/configure and a few hours to secure

Windows:

a few hours to install/configure and a few years to secure

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2006, 18:39   #7
Sir Mordred
General Lamer

Sir Mordred will become famous soon enoughSir Mordred will become famous soon enough

lol
that article is really class-very entertaining

if i was running win servers,
i'd also join some prayer team for sure
II-60:9:6 [=SA=], III-25:22:3[YHQ], IV-114:4:8[YHQ][=V=], V-20:3:4[=V=], VI- 5:23:3[=V=], VII- 30:18:11[=V=], VIII- 33:10:2[=V=], IX- 25:6:7[=V=], IX.V- 7:3:5[=V=], XV-1:5:4 []LCH[], XVI-8:6:3 []LCH[], XVII-9:7:X OoO, XXII-12:3:8 Vgn, XXIII-X:X:X Vgn, XXIV-X:X:X Vgn, XXV-4:3:4 Vgn, XLII-10:3:3 CT
= Audentes Fortuna Iuvat =
Sir Mordred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2006, 13:25   #8
Pilatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
It didnt escape me, i was more having a rant at being fed up of people quoting articles to 'prove' one way or another which is best for all things.
Sorry about that. Just thought the writer did such an excelent job for the article. What still amazes me, is wtf were he able to find a copy of RedHat 3.0.

Last edited by Pilatus; 13 May 2006 at 23:06.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2006, 11:23   #9
Pilatus

The bad thing is, you can't stop his statements with logic. Thats what ms is playing with atm. Urls like the one i've give will only help Windows users because linux/bsd users knows better already.Think we really need to prove to ms ppl that something like Ubuntu is just as good as windows. JUst to bad games aren't to well supported on linux/bsd.

Try to ask widows trolls to stay and watch you showing the power of linux, and most of'em won't have a good answer because they ain't got a clue about whats going on atm . Atleast in my experience you can't beet them with login, but you can sure make them look stupid if you go for it

Last edited by Pilatus; 27 May 2006 at 11:30.
Unread 3 Jun 2006, 22:50   #10
Pilatus

Just to make you Linux ppl hate me a bit less, i'll add a link to MS Bob. Lol, i would still use Linux instead of checking everything in a room, but...
: http://toastytech.com/guis/bob2.html

And be honest, isn't that os what all you geeks have been dreaming about?
Unread 3 Jun 2006, 22:57   #11
Pilatus

Howto start a program in ms bob:
http://www.digibarn.com/collections/...0/bobhome1.gif

I'll shut up now though. Only needed to prove that Windows users really know what they are talking about
Unread 4 Jun 2006, 04:00   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatus
Think we really need to prove to ms ppl that something like Ubuntu is just as good as windows. JUst to bad games aren't to well supported on linux/bsd.

Try to ask widows trolls to stay and watch you showing the power of linux, and most of'em won't have a good answer because they ain't got a clue about whats going on atm . Atleast in my experience you can't beet them with login, but you can sure make them look stupid if you go for it
From experience I've had, your average Windows power-user has no desire to make a Linux user look stupid. It's crap like that that gives the Linux community a bad name, that makes it inaccessible to new users and that makes statements such as 'Windows users are stupid because they can't make Linux work' self-satisfying.

There are certain basic truths to Linux and Windows, and having used them both I can attest to both. Setting up your machine in Windows is easier than doing the same in Linux. Not once during my most recent install of XP did I have to download and compile network drivers to get my wireless to work, nor did I have to dig through pages upon pages of quite technical man pages to figure out why they didn't just out of the box.

Linux is not yet (in most flavours) an ideal end-user experience. You can do an awful lot with Linux, and a lot of that can be analogued with Windows. The fact still remains that Linux is not for average users who have trouble figuring out how to get pictures off their digital camera. Computing was once thought of as an art for those proficient (or willing to learn) the technologies involved. Until some reasonably flavour of Linux realises that average users are in no way computer literate and just want things to work out of the box, we'll be stuck with bullshit 'Linux is better' or 'Windows is better' arguments from zealots who refuse to see outside of their own little sandboxed OS world.

Thinking that the way to promote Linux to average Windows users is to show them how powerful it is instead of how easy to use it is immediately loses the 'fight'.

Edit:
This isn't against anyone in particular, just towards general Linux elitism. I'm forced to use both through work and Uni but I can think of better things to idolise than some code running against my computer's processor.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2006, 02:36   #13
Pilatus

Really hope that more ppl get used to using linux/unix since i think it's possible to earn money on using nix in certain situations. If more ppl had been used to using both nix and winos at school, i think more ppl would atleast used nix when it's been the cheapest option.

Have to admit though, that i've changed my opionon a bit after my last post here. Been trying out ISA server as a firewall at my company, and been able to find ways to block ftp, irc and rdp from internal computer, with only playing around a bit with the mmc. Only tried ISA server because i noticed that the access-lists and nat-tables could be shorteneded alot, and save me alot of resources if i had something more intelligent then a packet filter protecting the network. And because looking at nat-table and the access-lists the reflective lists created, made me aware that some sort of firewall on the inside would be better. And ofcause, a packet filter no matter if it's stateful can't dig into applecations the way ISA server can.

Still would prefer a router or a hardware firewall with packet filtering connected to the internet, but would prefer something like ISA server on the inside. Still think a router with a packet filter or maybe even a linux box running ip-tables could sometimes be good enough. But even though it would have better performance, i would still like to have something like ISA server on the inside, something that could check the application layer of the packets before accepting it.

usually i prefer anything else then MS, but have to admit i really starting to like isa-server

Last edited by Pilatus; 10 Jun 2006 at 02:54.