User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 8 Sep 2003, 19:30   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Software engineering & UML - How to get started

Oh boy oh boy... school has started again and we learned last week what our projects are going to be for the coming half year:
- Make a 4 in a row game with a graphical GUI, network play and AI
- Make a SNMP client that can read the MIB from well known webservers as IIS and Apache

Now, I can think the shape and design of these systems up in about ten minutes, but sadly my classmates aren't that fast and my teachers actually want to see some design documents (BLERGH!!! Dirty word... "documents"). So, we actually have to come up with some design documents (in UML).
Now, this is not so much for the project itself, as those ignorant arses rejected my l33t component diagram (hey, I only needed ten minutes), and they will probably reject this whole planning idea too, but I want to make a template that I can use for my OWN projects.

At this moment I'm trying to make a template for myself to plan a project like this, but the thing is that I have NO idea what to put where.

Right, here we go:

- What UML diagrams come in the functional specification? (use cases, requirements... and?)

- What UML diagrams come in the technical specification (class diagram, component diagram, state diagram... and?)

I also came up with a list of deliverables to actually plan when these things have to be finished, but I'm not sure if this list is complete in any way. The list is in chronological order, so if you think something has to be produced earlier in the process then please say so.

Code:
-	Planning
-	Functional specification
	-	Requirements
	-	User interface (Use cases)
	-	Hard&Software interfaces (Use cases)
-	Technical Specification
	-	System component design
	-	System functioning (Sequence diagram, State diagram)
	-	Class diagram
-	Implementation
	-	???
-	Test cases & result
-	Manual
I hope I can get some answers about this. I'm growing tired of my own "hack first, design later" mentality, as it's getting me nowhere.

TY
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 13:34   #2
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
there are probably hundrets of models on how to develop software.
(you might want to look at RUP (rational unified process i think), it is focused on this whole uml-stuff, but its usually far too complicated to actually work with. youd spend 95% of the time with writing documentation :/)
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 14:11   #3
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
RAD!!!

Everytime.

It works for me, and I'm in the business !

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 23:02   #4
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
the phrase:

****ting ****ing **** **** ****, comes to mind.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 02:06   #5
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
Does it??

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 08:17   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Weeks
the phrase:

****ting ****ing **** **** ****, comes to mind.
eh?

Anyway, thanks people.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 09:25   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Having to do UML was one of the factors that made me drop CS.

Have fun
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote