User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 16 Jun 2003, 23:22   #1
sigrid
hated dead or alive

sigrid is an unknown quantity at this point
where do i start??

i been thinking lately. I want to write a book. Well, not really a book-book. But ever since my son understands bedtime stories he wants me to make up stories myself instead of reading to him. I made up the most exciting tales by now, wich make him hide under the blankets etc, but always with a good ending. And they get better and better, well, according to my son..heh

I just thought it would be fun to make a book of them. And find somebody to make drawings with them..but hell, how do you start something like that? Anybody ever did such a thing? Where do you start?
sigrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 23:24   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Couldn't you just do a web-site of the tales to begin with?

I hear they are all the rage these days.

You could then (once you had some exposure) advertise for artists to put forward examples of their work for a collaberative venture.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 23:27   #3
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Couldn't you just do a web-site of the tales to begin with?

I hear they are all the rage these days.

You could then (once you had some exposure) advertise for artists to put forward examples of their work for a collaberative venture.
But wheres the $$$ in that???

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 12:19   #4
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: where do i start??

Quote:
Originally posted by sigrid
i been thinking lately. I want to write a book. Well, not really a book-book. But ever since my son understands bedtime stories he wants me to make up stories myself instead of reading to him. I made up the most exciting tales by now, wich make him hide under the blankets etc, but always with a good ending. And they get better and better, well, according to my son..heh

I just thought it would be fun to make a book of them. And find somebody to make drawings with them..but hell, how do you start something like that? Anybody ever did such a thing? Where do you start?
the best way is through story competitions, then you can get yourself published, even is just as a part of a compilation.. stick to short stories, as there is little point spending a long time on a long book, only to have it rejected as unsolicited. Don't worry too much about the art, especially not at this stage.
Another important thing is the presentation, but I am not going into that now.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:01   #5
Hostile
The Milky Bar Kid

Hostile is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: where do i start??

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
the best way is through story competitions, then you can get yourself published, even is just as a part of a compilation.. stick to short stories, as there is little point spending a long time on a long book, only to have it rejected as unsolicited. Don't worry too much about the art, especially not at this stage.
Another important thing is the presentation, but I am not going into that now.
where do you get infomation on these story competitions from?

dont tell me to google please
Hostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:06   #6
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Re: Re: where do i start??

Quote:
Originally posted by Hostile
where do you get infomation on these story competitions from?

dont tell me to google please
There is a book called "the Handbook" edited by Barry Turner, that contains some, though I think these are the more major ones. Other than that, my best advice is to looking newspapers or visit the local library. Don't look down on local competitions, because even these will get you noticed. I hope that is a bit more helpful than "google it" but even that would help :P

Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:09   #7
Radical Edward

google is useful :P

http://www.prizemagic.co.uk/html/writing_comps.htm

Unread 17 Jun 2003, 16:04   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by SbOlly
But wheres the $$$ in that???
CAPITALIST SCUM!
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 20:03   #9
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
I always liked the story "sigrid and the Three Criminals" to be honest. :/
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 06:24   #10
sigrid
hated dead or alive

sigrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
I always liked the story "sigrid and the Three Criminals" to be honest. :/
my personal favorite is the big bad planet and the sweet little planet with friends to help:P
sigrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 08:42   #11
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
in all seriousness, your local library should get posters advertising all the local ones and a lot of the regional ones, i know ours does.
and if you ask the staff politely, them might tell you when they are etc
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 08:43   #12
Radical Edward

watch out for thin librarians with runny noses though.

Unread 18 Jun 2003, 08:51   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
well, as that doesnt describe me!
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 10:19   #14
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Just dont be telling your son any of our antics!

Hes too young to be hearing that sort of thing!