User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 19 May 2003, 19:23   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Networking & threads

If you have a server, that relays data to an amount of clients, is it smart to give each socket to a client it's own thread?

My receive-function works all sockets in one thread. Is this also acceptable for sending data?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2003, 19:39   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Networking & threads

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
If you have a server, that relays data to an amount of clients, is it smart to give each socket to a client it's own thread?

My receive-function works all sockets in one thread. Is this also acceptable for sending data?
i'd say it depends on the function of the server, also depends how many clients there are, and how fast the data is needed etc.
NEWSBOT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2003, 19:44   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Networking & threads

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
What language? OS? What are your design goals?
I like doing everything in one thread when I'm using C. But if I was writing something professionally I'd add support for SMP, and have dozens of other considerations. There are various threading models for concurrent servers like fork, pre-fork, select, and more complex hybrids. Single threaded is fine most of the time.

Quote:

Yes, it should be.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2003, 19:45   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It makes sense insofaras you could emulate non-blocking socket routines using threads calling blocking socket routines, just set up some callbacks and huzzah.

Most FTP proggies and the like make use of multithreaded sockets, so it can't be all bad.
Unread 19 May 2003, 20:13   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I got this "chat application" in java from someone from school in my hands to work further on, and it's a damn mess.

He uses objects that have sockets in them ("ClientWorkers" he calls them). These objects are runnable (meaning that they can be threaded, for those not familiar with java). Now I was wondering if they should be threaded AT ALL.
I can just relay all data in one loop in one thread. Atleast that's what I thought. But this got me thinking... doesn't this block the whole app if some client dies?
Unread 19 May 2003, 20:17   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
timeouts?
Unread 19 May 2003, 20:18   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If you're using non-blocking socket IO then a client dying shouldn't be an issue; you've just got to make room in your IO cycle to ping that client and remember to kill it off if it doesn't respond.

Threading would make that easier, have each client get a dedicated thread and let the threads get on with the work themselves. It saves you some thought on the implementation.
Unread 19 May 2003, 20:38   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
timeouts?
Yeah, well... that's all nice and dandy, but rather unpretty. What's the timeout time of a TCP socket? 30 seconds?
I made a TCP module in C++ intended for games, but I don't want it to block for half a minute when some client dies.

OK, so threading the stuff is a must. I'll have to rewrite my damn module then. =/
Unread 19 May 2003, 20:48   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Does UDP actually block?
Unread 19 May 2003, 21:03   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
Does UDP actually block?
UDP doesn't work with a permanent connection. It just sends stuff and hopes it reaches the client. I dunno if it block or not. I never worked with it.

But why are you suggesting UDP? For this game thing?
I don't think I want that. It's not intended for shooters, but for a strategy thingy. I want to make 100% sure my data arrives correctly. UDP doesn't guarantee that.
Unread 19 May 2003, 21:04   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Ah.

Granted the only games I've coded were in mIRC but I always end up using UDP simply because of the performance increase.

You win this round.
Unread 19 May 2003, 21:26   #12
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
Actually I think quite a few games do use UDP, for many reasons. And to get round the 'fire and forget' method of communication you use numbered packets, with re-sends for lost packets.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2003, 05:36   #13
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
I've never ever lost an udp packet. The "no guarantee of arrival" crap is just ass-covering.
Unread 26 May 2003, 00:03   #14
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are doing this in Java, and the target platform is not linux*, I'd definately implement some threading. If I was doing it, I'd have a dispatcher thread, and some worker threads. Pre-fork a certain number of workers and then grow your thread pool up to whatever limit you feel is necessary.

As each new connection arrives in your dispatcher, find the first worker thread thats not doing anything (usually test to see if it has a null socket), and assign it the new connection. If you cant find one, but find a null reference, create a new worker and replace the null reference. If you cant do any of them at all, the option is to exceed your worker count, or block. In pseudo code

Code:
Dispatcher
WorkerThread[] workers;

while (true) {

socket = getsocket(); //blocking call
  WorkerThread worker;

for (i=0;i<workers.length;i++) {
    worker = workers[i];
    if (worker==null) {
      workers[i] = new WorkerThread(socket).start();
      break;
    }
    if (worker.socket == null)
      worker.socket = socket;
      worker.notify();
      break;
    }
  }
}
Code:
WorkerThread
while (true) {
  if(socket==null) {
    try {
      this.sleep(1000);
    }
    catch (InterruptedException ex) { }
  }
  else {
    doWork();
    socket=null;
  }
}
OK, so my pseudo code looks a lot like Java .... you can do some more complicated and fancy things with Java, I think theparticle had a good example of a threadpool on his site - www.theparticle.com

* IMHO, Linux doesnt have great threading support, and java vm's under linux have even worse threading. Just my opinion, and based upon observation rather than fact. Java threads on solaris, however.. pretty fking good.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2003, 00:12   #15
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
cant seem to find it there, but a good one shouldnt be hard to come by.

Google, as always, is your friend.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2003, 01:19   #16
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by W
I've never ever lost an udp packet. The "no guarantee of arrival" crap is just ass-covering.
FFS but it ISN'T guaranteed... It's like saying: "Smoking coses cancer? Bull****, I got a grandfather who smoked 40 cigarettes a day and still turned 90".
Sure, you can say, during these days, you trust the internet and its backbone, but since no "ACK - message received"-packet of any type is sent, you just cannot be sure wethere your original packet came through or not -- face it!!!
Implementing a protocol that relies on UDP messages that are essential wouldn't be a good idea...
Even if your experimental values showed a success-rate of 99.9%.
Unread 26 May 2003, 18:29   #17
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by JetLinus

Implementing a protocol that relies on UDP messages that are essential wouldn't be a good idea...

sure it would.
as mentioned, you just give each one a number, and if your missing one, get it resent..
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 26 May 2003, 18:31   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
sure it would.
as mentioned, you just give each one a number, and if your missing one, get it resent..
This is what TCP will do all on its own though, at a slight performance hit, so what's the point?
Unread 28 May 2003, 16:44   #19
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by JetLinus
FFS but it ISN'T guaranteed... It's like saying: "Smoking coses cancer? Bull****, I got a grandfather who smoked 40 cigarettes a day and still turned 90".
Sure, you can say, during these days, you trust the internet and its backbone, but since no "ACK - message received"-packet of any type is sent, you just cannot be sure wethere your original packet came through or not -- face it!!!
You don't understand. Nothing is guaranteed. You can employ whatever resending scheme you like, and you cannot give any guarantee. UDP is as safe as TCP, except in the utterly utterly rare cases of a link almost working correctly.
Unread 14 Jun 2003, 19:58   #20
CestusGW

responding to the original question, i did almost the exact same thing in Java for a few reasons:
a) When your thread blocks on an input read, doesn't block your server
b) When a client disconnects, your thread can kill itself and inform the main server it no longer exists (means less exception handling at the top layer)
c) You can make buffer classes to run between main server and the client threads if you ever think you could run into insane data transfers (should never be an issue though)

As to the multi-threading being a mess ... shouldn't have to be if you have a clear idea in mind when you go in to build