User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Jan 2007, 12:23   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
[HELP] HCI project manual thingy

If anyone has like 15 minutes I'd really like feedback on this site my group and I made on HCI. It's aimed (as a specification) for software engineers who have no idea what HCI is, and we've chosen security software engineers because it removes a lot of that input / output stuff (and because I thought of a 'funny' name).

Before you complain how low-tech it is, it's meant to be in HTML because it's going to be stuck in a HTML folder and passed around and blah blah blah, so no SQL or anything. Also, we had a word limit of 2500 words which we've just about kept to.

The site is uploaded @ http://www.appocomaster.co.uk/hci_project/final/ , and we have a questionnaire @ http://www.appocomaster.co.uk/hci_pr...stionnaire.doc if you could e-mail it to [email protected] (or just post random feedback )

(please bear in mind how much work I spent sorting out PA for this round when laughing :P)
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 14:07   #2
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: [HELP] HCI project manual thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
i wonder if when you saw i had replied you thought i was going to have something useful to say. i bet you didn't!
I never do!
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 15:47   #3
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Some comments, I hope they are useful, might even mail them:

I am visitting this site as a layman, and immediately when I got there I missed a decent introduction, you start with an introduction within the subject you are working in, you should, I think, take a few steps back and introduce the whole system.

Then I go to 'Input devices' and get the term 'application interface' thrown to my head, ofcourse I understand what it means, but it should be presented better and explained somewhere, maybe you should add a glossary and use some hyperlinks in between? (I mean, isn't that what the whole interweb is about?)
Although the pictures are included in a nifty way, don't you think I just expect them in a table next to them? Think about the design decisions you made building this website.

Now reading this website it becomes more and more clear what you want to do. You make no obvious references to any used literature and so forth, although I doubt it is an academic assignment, if it is, it is shit.

Then I skipped through the rest of it mostly as it is clear to me.
You might want to add a summary somewhere, and if possible, a checklist and/or a processscheme where the various steps are shown to ensure a good HCI proof development.

All in all you might want to update your references, add a summary and a checklist and be a bit less consise as you are doing at the moment. Other then that it seems to be consistent and complete.
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 17:03   #4
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

The very first thing that came across when I read that page was "It's Human-Computer Interaction, not Human-Computer Interfacing".

Human-Computer Interfacing sounds slightly sexual and would be something totally different.
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 17:04   #5
Appocomaster
PA Team

"CO819: Human Computer Interfacing"
that's the title of the course
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 17:10   #6
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

"08112: Software Engineering and Human-Computer Interaction"

That was mine, I suppose different people use different names for the same thing.

Human Computer Interfacing still sounds odd though, like you're physically connecting yourself to the hardware or something. Maybe I've just been watching too much Star Trek
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 19:47   #7
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

in order to improve the interface to your site, implement context links for next/up/previous: http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#h-6.12
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 22:30   #8
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
I am visitting this site as a layman.

<Random points based on layman's point of view>.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
It's aimed for software engineers...
Erm? Anyway ...

Firstly, I find it ironic that for a document on HCI, it is presented in a particularly unfriendly manner. Text roll-overs spawning an image example? That's horrible ... even if it does describe the action. The problem is compounded when the same text style is used else where for items that don't have roll over content. As I'm sure you are aware, inconsistency makes for a bad user experience.

Presentation critique aside ... the content is generally OK. In my opinion however, it would be better to remove some of the waffel type padding you seem to have on most pages. Writing summary items like "On this page is ..." is pretty redundant when there isn't enough content on the page to justify it. It makes it harder to read. The sub section links you have on the "Testing" page are also not necessary and detract from the content.

The only statement I would disagree with is: "Soft keys: Generic buttons that change their function according to the current page. Not popular." I would argue soft keys are very popular, particularly in the context they were designed for. In fact, I would remove those "not popular / less popular" claims all together. They are very contextual. Arguing that a TrackPad is less popular than a mouse may be true if the user was presented with both, but the whole point of the track pad is to save the space the mouse would occupy. The same with function keys, given the choice of smaller keys, a much larger object to carry, or function keys, I certainly would go with function keys. As before, in the context these items were designed for, I wouldn't make a claim that they were "less popular". I'm curious as to where you got that data from anyway.
Unread 20 Jan 2007, 00:23   #9
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

That's what I was referring to, there are no references nor is there any research.

Or so it seems.