User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Oct 2006, 23:57   #1
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts
Mp3 players

Ok the time has come to get a decent mp3 player, my old 256mb one broke and now i want something with a bit more space.

I can pick up a 4GB Ipod for 88 quid and thats more than enough however i hear ipods will now only play mp3s downloaded from itunes? is there a way around it?

I spose i could settle for <insertmake> 1GB player but it seems some can only play "secured" mp3s whatever that means, help me GD i need a decent mp3 player for 100 quid or less thats not gonna break in two months.

Quote:
Originally posted by an anon neg-repper

all your posts are shit. it's like a more accurate turbonegro song
i post on a internet forum!
The General8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2006, 00:12   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Mp3 players

iPods play normal mp3s, however they are complete shit and I would advise you not to get one unless you want to put up with the worst interface ever.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2006, 00:20   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Most of the "major" names will play normal MP3s (because if they didn't they'd be alienating 90% of the market). I think even Sony's MP3 player doesn't require format conversion anymore.

I've owned a few MP3 players* (due to being careless) and they all seem to be much of a muchness. Make sure the battery life is over 10-12 hours, it has an OK capacity and it's interface (both to the PC and the interface physically on the player) is OK. Creative tend to make you fag around with drivers (whereas most others now seem to operate plug n' play, which is useful if you move from PC to PC). None of the player interfaces have ever quite done, and neither have the ones I've tried belonging to friends (iRiver, Samsung, etc).

* Creative Nomad, Creative Muvo, 2nd Gen iPod, Creative Zen, Creative Zen Touch, iPod Nano in that order. I can't say one was particularly worse than another, considering the passage of time. My current Nano has 12x (or more) battery life than the Nomad but that's not a fair comparison given the 4/5 year time difference.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2006, 00:25   #4
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I've owned a 20gb/40gb/60gb video+photo ipod's, and you should NEVER EVER EVER buy them. NEVER EVER.

To put it this way, I got my 60gig in February, and it's in the shop for the third time. I have maybe got a bad karma when it comes to handheld devices, but my cellphone has lasted for three ****ing years
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2006, 09:48   #5
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts

Ya i hear lots about ipods breaking i spose i just want one cos its the "must have accessory" there are some nice ones for cheaper that i will proboly go with, wired make depending some a bigger and have screens than a pen drive of another make thats smaller but costs more.

Quote:
Originally posted by an anon neg-repper

all your posts are shit. it's like a more accurate turbonegro song
i post on a internet forum!
The General8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2006, 11:03   #6
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold

here is the answer my man:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iRiver-6GB-C...324641?ie=UTF8

much better sounding and more reliable than an ipod. battery is removable so if it does fk they are like £7 to replace. nice small (slightly smaller than a mini) and good design.
Unread 12 Oct 2006, 12:34   #7
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurx
I've owned a 20gb/40gb/60gb video+photo ipod's, and you should NEVER EVER EVER buy them. NEVER EVER.

To put it this way, I got my 60gig in February, and it's in the shop for the third time. I have maybe got a bad karma when it comes to handheld devices, but my cellphone has lasted for three ****ing years
I've had my Ipod with Video since last December and havent had a problem with it and I normally pretty unlucky with getting the faulty devices (my mobile phone died in a couple of months, my lcd monitor arrived with dead pixels despite every poster on forum thread - almost 200 people - not having a single dead pixel, a couple of DVD players failing not long after buying, my TV burnt out within a week ect ect)

Also none of my friends or family with ipods (and thats a fair few people) have experianced any problems. Sometimes I wonder if the reports of faulty ipods just look really bad because the sheer number apple are selling when infact the failure rates probally no higher than normal in electronics plus the fact that its a market leader its just spoken about more than other players failing. Or me and my friends and family could just have got lucky
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2006, 13:28   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous
battery is removable so if it does fk they are like £7 to replace. nice small (slightly smaller than a mini) and good design.
I don't think I've ever owned an electronic device (be it a phone or laptop or mp3 player) for the battery to die. I'm never really sure why people are so concerned with things like that, aren't you pretty much replacing everything you own every 6 months anyway?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2006, 18:10   #9
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

both mobile phone's i've owned have been replaced due to dying batteries...
(got my 3rd ever last week...)

I quite like my Zen MIcro. Bit annoying that it's not standard storage, but it's simple enough to setup and use.
Unread 13 Oct 2006, 14:11   #10
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

My zen sleek still works very well, never had any problems with it (had it since xmas).
If I were to buy something today I would go for the Creative Zen Vision with 30gig drive, radio and possibilities for showing pics and video for around 190 quid (norwegian price).
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote