User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Sep 2006, 19:53   #1
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute
[welsh question]

I know this has been asked often in the real world, so I am going to ask here. Why is it that there are so many ppls in Wales; Country next to England for all you overseas GD`ers; who have the Sir name "Jones". The letter "J" does not even appear in the Welsh alphabet!?! Can anyone explain this? I don`t know the answer to this.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 20:00   #2
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
Re: [welsh question]

yes and why are so many called 'Catherina Zeta'.

gay
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 20:37   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A mixture of inbreeding and anglicisation.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 21:35   #4
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough

I would think that Jones is the english version of the surname, as we generally tend to take over most things when we annex a country.

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 21:37   #5
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
I would think that Jones is the english version of the surname, as we generally tend to take over most things when we annex a country.
to be fair there was no country to annex.

wales is a post conquest creation
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 21:40   #6
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough

how far back are we going Yahwe?

Coz i only remember the last 24 years :/

Come to think of it...where the bl**dy hell did Wales come from in the first place?

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 22:05   #7
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
how far back are we going Yahwe?
As a name (Cymry) the 7th century, but it was used to describe many peoples of "celtic" stock in Britain ('Cumbria' is derived from the same word). As a country, not until it was overrun by (what are now) the English, as it was made up of various kingdoms at the time.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 22:07   #8
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

John, in it's various forms (Ieuan, amongst other things, in Wales) is a pretty common first name, and traditionally, the surname Jones meant 'Son of John'. I would imagine that welsh people were at some time known as 'Ieuans', and over time it has been anglicised.

Your use of semi-colons as parentheses is, to say the least, interesting.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 22:11   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The surname Jones is a patronymic name meaning "son of John (God has favored or gift of God)."

The forename Johannes was borrowed in the Roman period and became Ieuan in Welsh. This is pronounced something like Y-eye-an. When permanent surnames were adopted in Wales, Ieuan sometimes became Jones and sometimes Evans. A document of 1533 names Thomas ap Ieuan ap David ap Blethyn alias Thomas Jones. In the mediaeval period, John was borrowed and in time this became used as a surname, sometimes unchanged, sometimes in the style Jones. The forename John is known to have been used in Wales in the thirteenth century.

http://genealogy.about.com/library/s...name-JONES.htm
http://www.data-wales.co.uk/jones.htm

Google was my friend. Thank you Google!!!!
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 01:35   #10
Welshy

Welshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura about

^ right on the money, although John can also be Ioan, Sión, Sionyn or Sioni (as a point of no interest whatsoever I should imagine)
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 07:03   #11
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

So the Welsh stole the "J" and used it shamlessly as if it were there own.
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 07:30   #12
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

I don`t think so. "J" as in "John" I guess. My own name means "John" also, likewise, Ian, Sean, Ivan etc..

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.

Last edited by pyirt; 24 Sep 2006 at 07:36.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 17:54   #13
Welshy

Welshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
So the Welsh stole the "J" and used it shamlessly as if it were there own.

No, I'd say it more likely occured during the time where the English decided it was illegal to speak Welsh. I'm not sure when this was brought into effect, but it was illegal until sometime in the 1950s.
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 19:36   #14
Mitc
NASA Health & Safety

Mitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy
No, I'd say it more likely occured during the time where the English decided it was illegal to speak Welsh. I'm not sure when this was brought into effect, but it was illegal until sometime in the 1950s.
It's never been illegal to speak Welsh. The language was, however, only given equal status in law to English in 1993.

Although there are no polyglot Welsh speakers in Wales (according to the last census) the language is spoken by 21% of the population. Judging by my own experience a far higher percentage can understand spoken Welsh even if they are unable to speak it.

As for nicking J from the English alphabet .... it is creeping in to the language where English words are 'translated' into Welsh. Garaj (garage) is a good example of this. Many modern 'Welsh' words are the same as English
Car (Car) and many others are similar enough for non-Welsh speakers to recognise them Ffrind (Friend) or Tacsi (Taxi).

Noswaith dda
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 19:43   #15
Welshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitc
Garaj (garage) is a good example of this. Many modern 'Welsh' words are the same as English
That word doesn't exist. I can speak Welsh. I also have a Welsh to English dictionary which says:

Garage, n, modurdy, garai, modurfa

Also, my grandparents speak Welsh as their first language, and they assure me that to was illegal to speak Welsh - they were forced to speak English in public, even in school.

Isn't a polyglot somebody who is multi-lingual? If this is true, don't you think there's at least one person who can speak English and Welsh/French/German/Spanish? Hell, my french teacher could also speak Spanish and German fluently.

Last edited by Welshy; 24 Sep 2006 at 19:54.
Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 20:03   #16
Mitc
NASA Health & Safety

Mitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That word doesn't exist. I can speak Welsh. I also have a Welsh to English dictionary which says:

Garage, n, modurdy, garai, modurfa

Also, my grandparents speak Welsh as their first language, and they assure me that to was illegal to speak Welsh.

edit: Isn't a polyglot somebody who is multi-lingual?

To respond,

1) Funny that the Welsh dept of Lampeter Uni feel the word does exist. The plural is Garejys.

2) My grandmother didn't learn English until she was taught it at school FFS! She was born in 1912, so that puts her in the time period YOU claim the language was illegal. In addition she told me that English was never spoken by anybody in the village she grew up in. It was a legal requirement that Welsh children learn English, that doesn't make Welsh illegal as a spoken language.

3) You're right. I meant monoglot.

Isn't it great that the Welsh are so passionate about their language we're prepared to argue about the spelling of a word?
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 20:10   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Also, my grandparents speak Welsh as their first language, and they assure me that to was illegal to speak Welsh.
I highly doubt that it was ever illegal to speak Welsh in general terms. Certainly the wiki entry on the Welsh language doesn't mention it that I can see, and a quick google doesn't turn up anything to support that either. It's possible that in specific contexts English might have been insited upon (e.g. in courts before the 1967 Welsh Language Act) but that's not really the same as it being "illegal" to speak it.

There is some stuff on the BBC site which indicates some organised prejudice against Welsh use in schools earlier on, but again it wasn't illegal. As Mitc notes, the insistence on English being taught isn't quite the same as banning Welsh either.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 20:23   #18
Welshy

Is it perhaps slang then? As I've never come across that word - I could phone somebody who would know, but tbh, I'm not that bothered, as I'm sure you're not either etc.

A quick google search reveals...

Less than one hundred years ago the Welsh language was outlawed in Government and Education. Today, there are Welsh schools and all government departments dealing with Wales work in both English and Welsh.
[http://www.eliamep.gr/eliamep/files/...ring_2001.pdf]

Even though the English outlawed the Welsh language, it lived on through the singing, reciting and storytelling.
[http://www.betws-y-coed.net/aboutus.htm]

Welsh language was only (nearly) exterminated when the English outlawed it in the 19th century--not before, not even after Gwynedd fell. Same with Irish and Scots Gaelic. Since then, they are (however slowly) making a comback.
[http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slack.../whatnot.html]

The native language of Welsh was outlawed by it's English overlords, yet still survived. Some by ancient texts such as the Mabogineon, also by religious tracts and secret writings. Today, there is a resurgence of pride in the native language, and several radio and television stations broadcast in the language.
[http://www.greendragonartist.com/BIwales.htm]

as
a result of the 1536 Act of Union - when Wales officially became part of the
United Kingdom - the use of the Welsh language was banned from public life,
including churches. Scholars and church leaders at the time, worried about
the demise of the Welsh language, set about translating the Bible and the
Book of Common Prayer so that people could read them at home in their mother tongue.

[http://www.wfn.org/2003/07/msg00073.html]

And I'm sure there's plenty more to boot.
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 20:30   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
the Welsh language was outlawed in Government and Education. Today, there are Welsh schools and all government departments dealing with Wales work in both English and Welsh.[/i]
[http://www.eliamep.gr/eliamep/files/...ring_2001.pdf]
I've covered this point but restricting something in government and education is not the same it being illegal. You probably can't ask for proceedings in UK courts to be held in Klingon, but that doesn't mean the government have banned the language.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 21:16   #20
Welshy

I didnt see the post you made before I posted tbh. But I was just looking to justify the point my grandparents told me a while ago. there doesn't seem to be much available on google, but I'm sure the whole story is on the internet somewhere.
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 23:37   #21
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it was never illegal to speak welsh.

to claim otherwise is to distort the truth for political purposes creating the illusion that there is welsh unity under an oppressive english state. It's rubbish.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 00:39   #22
Welshy

Yes, that's exactly right - I'm a political activist trying to overthrow England.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 00:50   #23
Yahwe
I am.

with all due respect I don't need to justify the reason for your mistake.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 01:24   #24
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If the majority of people on Wales are called Jones, I can only hoper that Zeta Jones is an anomaly, because if they're all like her, Cardiff muist be the biggest brothel in the world.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 02:15   #25
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

your right about it not being illegal .. but it might as well have been ..

my mums welsh .. use of the welsh language was not just not encouraged but punishable in her school. They had to use english .. were taught to write only in english so now my mum barely remembers any welsh, and cannot write it at all, i find that sad, her heritage was taken away from her, tho she did teach me to count to ten in welsh, i just remember, 1 2 and 3 now.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 02:29   #26
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith

my mums welsh .. use of the welsh language was not just not encouraged but punishable in her school. They had to use english .. were taught to write only in english so now my mum barely remembers any welsh, and cannot write it at all, i find that sad, her heritage was taken away from her, tho she did teach me to count to ten in welsh, i just remember, 1 2 and 3 now.
School is not the world.

Try speaking latin in a chemistry lesson and you won't be allowed. You can't even speak latin in a court room.

That's because of efficiency and clarity. It's not illegal. It's practicle
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 02:39   #27
Welshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
Try speaking latin in a chemistry lesson and you won't be allowed. You can't even speak latin in a court room.

That's because of efficiency and clarity. It's not illegal. It's practicle
So when somebody was punished for speaking the language they had been speaking since birth (in this instance) how would they justify doing this?

Surely even if it were not technically illegal it would be as close to the line as you could possibly take it.

Quite frankly, I don't feel particularly strongly about this issue, but also don't see how it could be called anything but illegal?
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 02:46   #28
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
So when somebody was punished for speaking the language they had been speaking since birth (in this instance) how would they justify doing this?
In school I was punished for swearing. I tried to argue that I'd been swearing for years but somehow I never got let off

Quote:
Surely even if it were not technically illegal it would be as close to the line as you could possibly take it.
No.

Who are 'they'?

Quote:
Quite frankly, I don't feel particularly strongly about this issue, but also don't see how it could be called anything but illegal?
Because the word illegal means something.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 02:48   #29
Welshy

I'm just asking what you would call it?
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 02:49   #30
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
I'm just asking what you would call it?
call people being made to speak one language during lessons while a child at school?

School rules.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 02:52   #31
Welshy

But these school rules were put into place all of a sudden for a reason. I for one can't think of anything sensible that would justify this. It wasn't just a case of in lessons, but also in the schoolyard.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 02:56   #32
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
But these school rules were put into place all of a sudden for a reason. I for one can't think of anything sensible that would justify this. It wasn't just a case of in lessons, but also in the schoolyard.
you are squirming.

the definition of squirming is "having a non-issue that you keep repeating despite the fact that every time you have mentioned the issue before you have been proved wrong on the facts".

I am sorry if I upset you because I ruined an enjoyable lie with the truth. But how long are you going to go on?
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 03:07   #33
Welshy

I was attempting to clarify something that you didn't understand fully. I don't understand exactly went on either, hence it being a discussion. I am however telling you what I percieve to be the truth - if you can disprove it infallibly then by all means I'll accept your point, but you have said nothing to prove your own statements either.

If you want to try and discredit my point then please continue - but there's nothing particularly enjoyable about this discussion worth lying about.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 03:12   #34
Nadval
m00

Nadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
It's practicle
*practical
Nadval is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 03:12   #35
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
I was attempting to clarify something that you didn't understand fully. I don't understand exactly went on either, hence it being a discussion. I am however telling you what I percieve to be the truth - if you can disprove it infallibly then by all means I'll accept your point, but you have said nothing to prove your own statements either.

If you want to try and discredit my point then please continue - but there's nothing particularly enjoyable about this discussion worth lying about.
in my world the person proposing the idea provides the evidence.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 03:22   #36
Welshy

Are we just playing the "he who posts last, wins" game here? I've already posted the extremly limited amount of "evidence" that I could find googling simple phrases and what I remember my grandparents telling me. Neither you nor I can claim to have found irrefutable proof either way so basically it comes down to opinion and loosely formed arguments. (Cue "my opinion is worth more than yours" card)
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 03:28   #37
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Are we just playing the "he who posts last, wins" game here? I've already posted the extremly limited amount of "evidence" that I could find googling simple phrases and what I remember my grandparents telling me. Neither you nor I can claim to have found irrefutable proof either way so basically it comes down to opinion and loosely formed arguments. (Cue "my opinion is worth more than yours" card)
IF you want to claim that something is illegal then you do one of the following:

A) Post the name of the Statute (Act) which states that it is llegal
B) Post the name of the case whereby someone was prosecuted or sued for doing it.

BECAUSE when you don't do that you may as well claim that "calling cheese a pet is illegal" or "calling chairs pudding is illegal". I can't give you evidence and sources to show that calling cheese a pet IS NOT ILLEGAL because no one would waste their time writing that statute or making that case.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 03:32   #38
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

If the evil English monarchy had outlawed Welsh i doubt they would have let parliament pass a bill to allow the production of a Welsh-language bible in the 17th century.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 10:46   #39
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos
If the evil English monarchy had outlawed Welsh i doubt they would have let parliament pass a bill to allow the production of a Welsh-language bible in the 17th century.
The 1536 and 1542 Acts of Union
The passing of the 1536 and 1542 Acts of Union brought a significant change in the official use of Welsh, and the language would not be used as an official language again until after the passing of the 1942 Welsh Courts Act – four hundred years later.

The purpose of the Acts of Union was to make Wales part of England, and therefore English became the official language of business and administration in Wales. Following the Acts it was not possible for any monolingual Welsh speaker to hold official office in Wales, and although the language was not banned, it lost its status, and brought with it centuries of steady linguistic decline.

The Welsh Bible
Welsh would have been in grave danger during the Tudor Period if the Bible had not been translated into the language. Bishop William Morgan of Llanrhaedr ym Mochnant’s translation which appeared in 1588, helped to boost the language.

As Wales was a country dominated by religion, which played a pivotal role in people's lives, the Bible allowed Welsh to remain as the language of the church and religion. English may have been the official language of Wales, but the Bible helped to safeguard the future of the Welsh language for many centuries.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 16:20   #40
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith

pls note this the charmer that gave me a red blob for *
it is not acceptable to just quote something. you must make a comment.*

read the whole thread :P
R11 -> NOW HR HC
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 18:18   #41
Mitc
NASA Health & Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
If the majority of people on Wales are called Jones, I can only hoper that Zeta Jones is an anomaly, because if they're all like her, Cardiff muist be the biggest brothel in the world.
Razor sharp wit isn't really your thing is it?