User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Apr 2006, 04:37   #1
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Guitar Hero

Anyone else had a chance to play this little game? I realise it's been out in the US and Japan for eons, but us Europeans had to wait till this week.
Guitar Hero kicks your ass.

And let me say if you suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder stay away from this game, lest you find all of your spare time spent trying to obtain 100% perfect scores playing along to rock hits.

I now dream of coloured little buttons flying at me and various 80's hair bands, 90's rock and Gibson guitars.

People who even hate rhythm games and such guitar music have fallen victim to it's charms (mainly my neighbour and my friends girlfriend whos about as rhythmically impared as a down syndrome sweeping brush).

Only issue is the learning curve is much more difficult if you actually play guitar, as in the start you try to play how you'd play the song on a real guitar, instead of the cues you're given.
That sorts itself out in the end.

Oodles of fun, especially while drunk and in a group.

Get it, play it, obsess over it. Piss off your friends and neighbours! Get RSI!

(In case you can't tell, I kinda like this)
IncubusGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 07:55   #2
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Guitar Hero

It is rather good, I wasn't very good at it though.
My friends who play guitar took a while to get used to it, but were then rather good at it, as they were actually starting to learn how to play the songs. Two-player with 2 guitars is even more fun.
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 09:48   #3
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

im friendly with the staff of the local gamestation, literally all they do all day is try and complete that game, i swear the guitar they use must already be worn out
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 11:04   #4
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

soo... DDR with a guitar lol
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 11:17   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Would it actually help or hinder the process of learning how to play the guitar?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 12:23   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Would it actually help or hinder the process of learning how to play the guitar?
I wouldn't think either, though the process involved and the description that experienced guitar players have difficulty with this game suggest it may be the latter.

You don't strum strings or move your hand the full length of the frett, it's a game format based around timing and hitting buttons in sequence with what's happening on screen. Hence why I referred to it as DDR with a guitar.
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 14:45   #7
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I heard about this game last month.

Apparently it'll make you the next Charlie "the guy from Busted" Simpson (from Fightstar now).
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 17:54   #8
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

I bought the game yesterday afternoonafter playing (and loving it) at a friends house saturday night, plugged it in, then received a phone call from a friend who stated he would pick me up in an hour and a half for the cinema. So I start to play through, then I hear a knock at my door, it was my friend coming to pick me up. I never even realised the time while playing . So here's to next weekend with 2 player battles at my friends house.
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 18:19   #9
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I was playing with two friends who play guitar to a reasonable standard, and they very quickly got past the 'the song's different' and were quite quickly able to play the game-version of the songs from memory, rather than relying on the coloured blobs. Being able to move two hands in a coordinated manner definitely helps, and is something I'm not very good at, I could only play the songs that required chord-changes rather than separate notes in succession
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 19:35   #10
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Looks good, but seems to be lacking one thing. Thin Lizzie. Now that would make me want to buy that game (I wonder if i can rent it)
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 19:42   #11
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
Looks good, but seems to be lacking one thing. Thin Lizzie. Now that would make me want to buy that game (I wonder if i can rent it)

One of the main topics of converstaion that exists between everyone while playing the game is lists of songs that should be on it.
Or on the next one.

So far the main outrage amongst my own friends is the lack of Guns n Roses on this, that and no Metallica.
The Darkness have recently sang it's praises though, hopefully meaning a good 'ol cock rock song from them could be on the next one.

But I agree, Thin Lizzy would have been a good addition.
IncubusGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 21:27   #12
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
coincidentally they're on SingStar Rocks! (the karaoke game) also out this week
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 22:18   #13
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My sister has the first Singstar. I was awesome on it
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 00:08   #14
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

seems like sony stealing another good idea from nintendo, donky konga was (from the looks of it) much better.
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 00:33   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
seems like sony stealing another good idea from nintendo, donky konga was (from the looks of it) much better.
lol, the irony of your statement..

Konami had the idea first with it's Dance Dance Revolution series of arcade machines, which consequently were first imported to the playstation console.. then nintendo copied the idea in the form of donkey konga.
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 01:32   #16
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass

Konami had the idea first with it's Dance Dance Revolution series of arcade machines, which consequently were first imported to the playstation console.. then nintendo copied the idea in the form of donkey konga.
didn't the maracas game on Dreamcast come first?
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 09:12   #17
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:

Maybe, but they a put a twist to the idea, Sony (and MS and Sega) on the other hand have copied lots of things from Nintendo, d-pad, analogue stick etc.
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 10:08   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
didn't the maracas game on Dreamcast come first?
I meant Playstation 1, which was released 1994

Dreamcast wasn't released until 1998.

and hey I'm no Sony zealot, so no need for you nintendo (aka ninty) fans to get toey, I'm just here to present the facts.
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 10:30   #19
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
so no need for you nintendo (aka ninty) fans to get toey, I'm just here to present the facts.
so am i
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 10:44   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
Maybe, but they a put a twist to the idea, Sony (and MS and Sega) on the other hand have copied lots of things from Nintendo, d-pad, analogue stick etc.
Maybe, but that's how development works. There were D-Pads (of a type) on consoles before Nintendo used them on the NES, and analogue sticks were probably an Atari thing, again many years before Nintendo would have used them. Ultimately, in most fields trying to work out who was first, or who copied who is a waste of time and is one of the reasons the whole patent thing is utterly retarded.
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 13:09   #21
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
trying to work out who was first, or who copied who is a waste of time and is one of the reasons the whole patent thing is utterly retarded.
surely it's a justification of patents because instead of trying to think back to the first time you saw a feature you can simply pop down to your local patent office and find out who first registered it.

What a wonderful resource for modern historians!
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 13:20   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
surely it's a justification of patents because instead of trying to think back to the first time you saw a feature you can simply pop down to your local patent office and find out who first registered it.
In this case, not really. Nintendo hold (or held, presumably it's expired now) the patent on the D-Pad, but the basic idea was present in an earlier controller. And I don't think anyone holds a patent on the analog stick anyway.

These ideas are all quite similar to each other, and who holds the patent doesn't tell us much (partially because the USPTO don't seem to actually do their job particularly well in some cases, and partially because the ideas are actually very nuanced and one idea blends into another). Microsoft hold some sort of patent on "launching an application on a PDA using a double cllick" or something like that, but it's not like they pioneered the double click.
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 13:37   #23
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
In this case, not really. Nintendo hold (or held, presumably it's expired now) the patent on the D-Pad, but the basic idea was present in an earlier controller.
Well you can argue that the basic idea was around before. And you might be right or you might be wrong.

But the patent forms the starting point.

So patents are useful for dating these developments and then in specific cases the more astute scholar might do greater research and argue that 'actually in this case I believe the development predates the patent'. His emminent colleagues can then argue against him. But all of this academic fun only goes to justify the existence of patents. It's not an argument against them.
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 14:44   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
But all of this academic fun only goes to justify the existence of patents. It's not an argument against them.
It only justifies the existence of patents if you accept the idea that there is a "single point of development" which applies in most cases. I do not, and so it doesn't.
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 14:58   #25
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
It only justifies the existence of patents if you accept the idea that there is a "single point of development" which applies in most cases. I do not, and so it doesn't.
well actually i did explain why it didn't.

but given your 'passion' (pronounced zel-ot-ree) in regards patents i shall bow out