User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Mar 2006, 17:09   #1
SeanG
Wick

SeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the rough
TV Licence Legal Help

Ok, I am currently living in a shared house along with 4 other students. We have a TV Licence in my name. The house we live in is 2 houses knocked together (number 30 and 31), something we did not realise/remember until today.

In january a guy came round and said we didnt have a tv licence, he gave us a grace period and said 'get one'. I rang up and made sure that we were on their database as having a tv licence.

Today my housemate has been summoned to appear in court for not having a tv licence. The licence we have is for number 30 and his court summoning is for number 31. I've foned the TV licence company and they have now merged the 2 properties together on their computers.

I'm not entirely sure where to go from here, should my housemate just fill in the forms he was sent saying 'not guilty' and attend his hearing? Or would writing a letter to the courts explaining our situation mean they may cancel the hearing? Any help on the situation would be greatly appreciated (especially from legal eagles) as i really dont have a clue what to do or what could happen. Will he be fined anyway or does it sound pretty hopeful?

<Desse> I am trying to breed a new superpod by leaving Unipods and Megapods alone in the same room with dim lights and Barry white on the cd player
SeanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 17:19   #2
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Superpig #1 is infamous around these parts
Re: TV Licence Legal Help

Surely its up to the TV company to cancel the court stuff, but theyre probably too lazy to get up off their fat asses, so if i was you, id write a letter to the courts explaining what happened and also send the forms back aswell.

But i dont know the "legallity" on that either.

Im sure Yahwe knows tho.
This is a man in a wheelchair - &

and that was my sig.
Superpig #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 17:32   #3
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a seperate or shared contract with your landlord?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 17:35   #4
SeanG
Wick

SeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the rough

we've got a shared tenancy agreement i believe, he said one licence covered us all anyway

<Desse> I am trying to breed a new superpod by leaving Unipods and Megapods alone in the same room with dim lights and Barry white on the cd player
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 17:46   #5
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

make sure you get confirmation from the company in writing that they view the two properties as one and that you are covered.

I wouldn't worry too much as you don't seem to have done anything wrong and are instead trapped in goverment purgatory.

If you do go to court make sure you use phrase it like

your honor the man said we'd be deadmeat if we didn't get this done, they're a bunch of mongchops etc
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 18:14   #6
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

how tall are you?
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 18:22   #7
SeanG
Wick

6'4, I play basketball. Reckon u cud share some of ur legal knowledge?

Unread 28 Mar 2006, 18:25   #8
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

topless pic?

(i bothered to research the answer but you're not getting it unless you're attractive because you hardly ever post ...)
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 19:16   #9
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why don't you ring the TV licence people again and ask them what you should do about it instead of asking on an internet forum about a very bizarre situation that none of us are likely to have experienced or know anything about
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 19:43   #10
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

If you need a licence for each of the properties, then I'm going to get in touch with the people in 25a downstairs and see if they'll share a licence with me next year, since clearly we only need one for the whole of no. 25.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 19:46   #11
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if it's got a different address then you need seperate licenses. A bit like council tax.
Officially I think you're meant to get one for every bedroom (if you're a group renting) but noone does this.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 19:50   #12
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
If you need a licence for each of the properties, then I'm going to get in touch with the people in 25a downstairs and see if they'll share a licence with me next year, since clearly we only need one for the whole of no. 25.
i believe that you can have a tv liscence for one property providing rent is being paid on the property as one. Take my current flat for example, its in a house with 5 other people, however we all have a lock on our doors, and we all pay rent seperately not as a collective unit. So we all have to get a tv liscence if we have a tv. Only I have a tv liscence the rest are risking it, but have been hounded by the liscencing peope.

My house from last year however was different, our doors didnt have locks (ie yale locks) it was also not split into flats, the rent itself was collective hence why we only needed one tv liscence even though there were about 4 tvs in the house and belonging to different people.
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 19:57   #13
Yahwe
I am.

I warned you that you wouldn't get the answer without my help seanG ...
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 20:09   #14
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

As I recall, the situation with shared houses is partly the locks on doors thing, but that can be overridden if there are some communal rooms (for which kitchens, hallways and bathrooms don't count) or, I think, if you share a communal meal - this apparently being the basis of being a proper, single household, as opposed to a bunch of people who happen to live behind the same door. Otherwise a whole lot of teenagers need to get their own TV licences.

As for seanG's situation, I think it is clear they are not liable to pay for a second TV licence, but I don't know what they should do about the summons.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 20:13   #15
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Turn up in court with the license, wave it under the nose of the idiots at the licensing authority and then be amused at the public money that has just been wasted due to their ignorance/stupidy/laziness (delete where applicable)

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 20:19   #16
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It is based on whether you have individual locks on your doors (bolts don't count).

In halls of residence, for example, you might share a meal and bathrooms with the other residents, but you still all need a separate TV licence.
In some accommodation you have yale/chubb locks on your individual bedroom doors. This means you need a separate TV licence.

I expect it can be appealed in a court though, if (as Ebany said) you can prove that you are a single household.
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 20:46   #17
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
It is based on whether you have individual locks on your doors (bolts don't count).

In halls of residence, for example, you might share a meal and bathrooms with the other residents, but you still all need a separate TV licence.
In some accommodation you have yale/chubb locks on your individual bedroom doors. This means you need a separate TV licence.

I expect it can be appealed in a court though, if (as Ebany said) you can prove that you are a single household.
err, stop spouting bollocks.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

read. understand.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 20:52   #18
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp

is probably more useful.
Quote:
Do I need my own licence if I live in shared accommodation?

If you are going to be sharing a house, a separate tenancy agreement would normally mean your room is classified a separately occupied place. In this case, if you have a TV in your room, you will need your own TV Licence.

However, if there is only one TV in a communal area, then only one TV Licence is required. Similarly, if your house can be treated as one place shared by all, then only one TV Licence is required - a joint tenancy agreement would normally indicate that there is only one separately occupied place.
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 20:53   #19
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

since not everyone is a student here i linked to the index as there are seperate bits for renting etc.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 21:45   #20
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
err, stop spouting bollocks.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

read. understand.

I share with other people - is it my responsibility to provide a TV Licence?

-
If you are going to be sharing a house, a separate tenancy agreement would normally mean your room is classified a separately occupied place. In this case, if you have a TV in your room, you will need your own TV Licence.

However, if there is only one TV in a communal area, then only one TV Licence is required. Similarly, if your house can be treated as one place shared by all, then only one TV Licence is required - a joint tenancy agreement would normally indicate that there is only one separately occupied place.

Ultimately, if your address is unlicensed, both you and your landlord could face prosecution and a fine of £1,000 regardless of your tenancy agreement.

Sorry NB, but that sounds a lot like what I said?
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 21:47   #21
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
since not everyone is a student here i linked to the index as there are seperate bits for renting etc.
Seeing as the exact same bit is in the "Landlords and Tenants" bit I expect you didn't look very hard.
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 21:50   #22
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Seeing as the exact same bit is in the "Landlords and Tenants" bit I expect you didn't look very hard.
seeing as absolutely nothing anyone has posted adresses the point at hand I wonder how you manage to maintain a mistaken air of self superiority
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 22:07   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm not really sure why you're worried tbh.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 22:48   #24
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
seeing as absolutely nothing anyone has posted adresses the point at hand I wonder how you manage to maintain a mistaken air of self superiority
It's something I've been working on over the years.
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 22:56   #25
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

don't own a tv if you can't be arsed with a licence

listen to the radio

it's better
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 23:39   #26
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't own a tv. I own a cathode ray tube and some other equipment I assembled myself.
Unread 29 Mar 2006, 03:33   #27
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Actually you don't have to chuck your TV out to exempt yourself from a licence.
Although they word it in such a way that most people will assume TV = need licence (clearly they do this on purpose), please note the boldificated part below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Licence Agency
If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence.
For example, upon my arrival, I found the reception in hall to be shit. Because of this, I don't have the aerial connected to the TV card in my PC, thus I don't have the ability to recieve TV, ergo I don't need a licence. And before any smartarse tries to correct me on this, I did take the time to check this out with the agency itself.
Why would you want a TV with no aerial? Games consoles, DVD/video watching, as a monitor (playback device for video editing), etc etc. The provision is there specifically to prevent the government taxing TV ownership itself. Unfortunately, they are still allowed to word it sneakily so that people who skim-read miss it, thus providing £++.

Another common misconception is that a TV in, say, the lounge of a shared flat with individual contracts (ie. licence required for each room) requires a licence. In fact, any licence for one of the contracted rooms also covers equipment in communal areas. Of course, if no-one has a licence then you still need to get one, but you may as well get one for one of the rooms rather than just licencing your lounge, seeing as it's covered either way.

I realise none of this helps the original question.
I'm sure the OP will shortly provide the topless shots to yahwe, and this will be resolved.

Also, has anyone else experienced the sheer stupidity of the agency's hired grunts?
After 4 letters, each increasingly threatening, each met with a phonecall from each person in the flat to explain that they didn't have a TV (or in my case, that I wasn't using it to recieve TV), they sent a grunt round to check. Twice.
On the first occasion we rolled our eyes and let him in.
By the second time, we were fed up of wasting our money phoning them to correct their database which clearly wasn't being updated anyway, so we refused him entry until he actually bothered to go get a policeman and a warrent, which he did. While he made an arse out of himself looking round the flat (and making me explain why I didn't need a ****ing licence for the millionth time), we informed the poor police officer of the agency's inability to keep any proper record of updates. He was less than impressed, especially when the grunt phoned the office to disprove our story, and miraculously they actually did have the previous visit on record somewhere.

Can someone (ie. Yahwe) explain why the TV Licence lot are allowed to operate on the pretext of guilty until proven innocent?
I don't have any of the letters on me, but the gist of the last one was something like "Despite repeated requests you are still watching TV illegally at <address>. An enforcement office will be visiting you shortly. If you would like to avoid the investigation, please call <number>."
What the hell? Why is it my responsibility to prove that I'm not breaking the law? Last time I checked, that wasn't how the system was supposed to work. What happened to burden of proof?
It's the "debt collection" tone of the letters and the use of the word "illegal" in particular that really pisses me off.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 29 Mar 2006 at 03:58.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2006, 05:52   #28
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

There are different burdens of proof. Depending on the type of offense. Silly little regulations, accompanied by small fines generally require proof on a balance of probabilities. Not beyond reasonable doubt.

In addition the burden in these cases generally resides with the defendant.

It is called Strict Liability. It is there to stop mentally ill people from issuing court proceedings for every parking ticket and speeding fine, asking the crown to proove it beyond reasonable doubt.

PS. This is addressed to megla's final point. Not the initial question. I also make no claim to knowledge of whether an offense under British TV Liscencing Law's are in fact offenses of Strict Liability.

That said... ignorance of the Law is no excuse, unless you live 8,000 kilometres away in New Zealand.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2006, 08:42   #29
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
if it's got a different address then you need seperate licenses. A bit like council tax.
Officially I think you're meant to get one for every bedroom (if you're a group renting) but noone does this.
Don't make up lies Ste

If you have a shared tenancy agreement, you only need one license. If you have seperate tenency agreements you need a license for each room.

I know this because I had to look into it because the retards I live with are too stupid :/
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2006, 10:16   #30
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Also, has anyone else experienced the sheer stupidity of the agency's hired grunts?
After 4 letters, each increasingly threatening, each met with a phonecall from each person in the flat to explain that they didn't have a TV (or in my case, that I wasn't using it to recieve TV), they sent a grunt round to check. Twice.
On the first occasion we rolled our eyes and let him in.
By the second time, we were fed up of wasting our money phoning them to correct their database which clearly wasn't being updated anyway, so we refused him entry until he actually bothered to go get a policeman and a warrent, which he did. While he made an arse out of himself looking round the flat (and making me explain why I didn't need a ****ing licence for the millionth time), we informed the poor police officer of the agency's inability to keep any proper record of updates. He was less than impressed, especially when the grunt phoned the office to disprove our story, and miraculously they actually did have the previous visit on record somewhere.
That seems rather excessive. My parents found that simply ignoring the letters makes their computers break and just start sending the same cycle of increasingly rude letters all over again. Obviously trying to help them out is what triggered their response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
There are different burdens of proof. Depending on the type of offense. Silly little regulations, accompanied by small fines generally require proof on a balance of probabilities. Not beyond reasonable doubt.

In addition the burden in these cases generally resides with the defendant.

It is called Strict Liability. It is there to stop mentally ill people from issuing court proceedings for every parking ticket and speeding fine, asking the crown to proove it beyond reasonable doubt.
You're so wrong you make my head hurt.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2006, 13:01   #31
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus

You're so wrong you make my head hurt.
You'd not get very far in the colonies then

The reverse may well be true.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2006, 21:56   #32
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute

Citizens Advice Bureau?
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote