User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

View Poll Results: Shared uni rooms
They're fine, go for it 17 27.87%
Ask to be put somewhere else 44 72.13%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 19 Aug 2005, 20:17   #1
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Shared uni rooms - good or bad?

As I posted in the other thread, I've got a place at Hull University doing a politics course.

The problem is the accommodation office have put me in a shared room in the halls I've applied for.
I didn't ask for one as I usually value my privacy, but knew there was a small chance of getting put in one.
The uni says they try to put you with people doing the same subject or course and with similar interests to you, so there could be benefits to this, but since I've never had any experience of living with someone else I'm really not sure what to make of it.

So before I run off and whine at the accommodation office to put me in whatever they now have left, I thought I'd ask for your opinions of sharing a room in halls... is it not as bad as it seems, or something to be avoided at all costs?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 20:25   #2
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Shared uni rooms - good or bad?

dear god no, it sounds like an absolutely awful idea.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 20:26   #3
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Most people would think twice about sharing a room with a complete stranger.

If you knew the person it might not be so bad.

You may end up with someone with whom you get along with superbly.

You may end up with arse cancer.

Good luck

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 20:27   #4
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
While that was my immediate reaction too, is there any particular reason?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 20:29   #5
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

privacy mostly

that and the fact that unless you are a HUGELY patient person chances are they will get on your nerves awfully.

actually, im not sure which of those is the most importance, nevertheless, they are both biggies in my eyes.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 20:30   #6
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

by shared, you dont mean halls, you mean, 1 door and 1 room for the both of you? id hate it, but some enjoy the thrill of uncertainty and meeting new people so its your choice
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 20:30   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

GOOD

GOD

NO
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 20:40   #8
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The big problems are noise and cleanliness. If you are a quiet type and you get a head banger as a room mate you will be miserable. If you are a head banger and have a quiet type you will be miserable. If you are both the same then maybe things will be okay. Same on cleanliness/tidiness. You hate messes and the room mate likes the decor to be pig pen you will have a bad situation. There are so many areas where things can go wrong unless you are very flexible or very lucky. Best to be by yourself if possible.

On the other hand my wife has some friends who she met as room mates in college. She lived in a sorority where they changed room mates in the middle of the year so she had two different room mates a year for college years. She has nothing bad to say about it. However, she is willing to live with me so she may not be the best person to judge by.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 20:45   #9
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
The big problems are noise and cleanliness. If you are a quiet type and you get a head banger as a room mate you will be miserable. If you are a head banger and have a quiet type you will be miserable. If you are both the same then maybe things will be okay. Same on cleanliness/tidiness. You hate messes and the room mate likes the decor to be pig pen you will have a bad situation. There are so many areas where things can go wrong unless you are very flexible or very lucky. Best to be by yourself if possible.
Your acceptable limits of noise and cleanliness are both things they ask you about on the accommodation application form, so I imagine they'd only put people with similar answers to those particular questions together.
Also the halls themselves have pretty strict limits on noise (which doesn't bother me personally) which people are going to be expected to (but probably won't ) observe anyway.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 20:54   #10
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I've never done it myself but it sounds like a complete nightmare. I mean, what happens when you want to have a wank under the covers? They're going to hear you, that's what.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 21:03   #11
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if they had done this to me, i wouldnt have gone to university.

Hell no.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 21:03   #12
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Try and get a room on your own.

My first roommate at University sold my video while i was visiting home. Thieving Geordie bastard.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 21:13   #13
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

you'll be at the lawns then mushroom yeah?

it's not so bad actually, depending on what you'e like as a person. some people i know made their best friends through living with them in the first year, other people hated their room mates. it's just the way it goes really it's the luck of who you get, but don't freak out just yet i've seen it go really well. (the biggest draw back, is shags in your first year, you have to negotiate with room mate as to what happens)

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 21:24   #14
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'd do it, it's an ace oppertunity to meet loads more people.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 21:33   #15
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
I'd do it, it's an ace oppertunity to meet loads more people.
Seems to me that if they lived next door to you in a hall then this shouldn't prove too much of an obstacle.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 21:54   #16
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I am pretty sure I would hate it and think it is a terrible idea. I couldn't live in the same room as any of my best friends let alone someone I barely knew.

One of my mates though is currently in America for a year as part of his degree and while he hasn't been there long it seems to be going okay. I am sure they will soon get on each others nerves though.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 21:58   #17
Embroglio

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Seems to me that if they lived next door to you in a hall then this shouldn't prove too much of an obstacle.
What I meant was that you'd also get to meet their group of friends as they would yours, which means more people you can get to know which is cool.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 21:59   #18
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
What I meant was that you'd also get to meet their group of friends as they would yours, which means more people you can get to know which is cool.
Yeah. I still think it would be pretty terrible living in the same room as someone though, having to have them there even when you just want them to piss off. And sleeping with them day in and day out seems pretty freaky to me too.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 22:01   #19
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Which is exactly why he should do it. The worse it gets, the better the stories you'll be able to tell later about that roommate you once shared a room with!
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 00:00   #20
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

which halls are you in Mushroom? i've only just sent my application form off yesterday ( :eek: ) and am now slightly worried that the same may happen to me.

also, the lawns seemed to be a god awful place when i visited
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 00:13   #21
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think you fail to realise youll be sleeping, eating, studying, wanking, living and breathing in the SAME ROOM AS A COMPLETE STRANGER.

Also, you havent seen how small the room is going to be.

It nearly nearly nearly happened to me. I didnt believe that i was going to go to Stirling, and when i decided i was, i was way down the pecking order for rooms. I got shown the size of a single - they were like cupboards. The double rooms were a nice size with nothing in them, but when i saw the space you had if there was 2 beds laid accross them, i couldnt believe it was legal. Youd pretty much wake someone up brushing past their bed if you needed a piss in the night.

I mean, forget "i might get on with them" or anything - theres no way you can put up with even your best friend, wife, close family, girlfriend 24/7, no ****ing way. The fact that they "might be an arsehole" is an entirely seperate problem. Id be more concerned that a/ they were in my face b/ they had access to all my stuff c/ i couldnt wank.

If i was you Mushroom, and i mean this seriously, id do anything i could to get out of this pickle. The uni will give you a speel of "nobody wants to share, but someone has to", so you need to think of something else. A doctors note saying you have trouble sleeping would do it, or have mental problems. But personally, what i would do is..

Go to resedential services and look sheepish - tell them that its not easy for you to talk about, but you cant possibly share a room with someone. When pushed why, tell them your incontinent. Tell them you pee yourself, and i guarentee you theyll ship you out of there on the double. You might get shunted down to the ground floor with the special kids, but thats not a big deal, because theyre not in your face, and no one will know.

I ended up getting a double room to myself.

Lucky? Yes and no. Lucky in the sense that i had some room. Lucky in that i had a nice big desk and window to look out of. But ****ing hell.. the parties were always in my room, so i always got the shit from the porters, always had to clear up - every night. Every hour of every day people would be banging down my door to come in and chill. My grades and mood suffered as a result.

Unread 20 Aug 2005, 00:39   #22
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
I quite liked them when I visited.
They look a bit shit from the outside, but the rooms are actually quite nice, especially having seen the likes of Liverpool's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Also, you havent seen how small the room is going to be.
I have, the shared rooms are really quite big. You have a small partition wall between you and your roommate's desk, but it's not a complete block from them, more just so you have your own separated space to work.
Quote:
It nearly nearly nearly happened to me. I didnt believe that i was going to go to Stirling, and when i decided i was, i was way down the pecking order for rooms. I got shown the size of a single - they were like cupboards. The double rooms were a nice size with nothing in them, but when i saw the space you had if there was 2 beds laid accross them, i couldnt believe it was legal. Youd pretty much wake someone up brushing past their bed if you needed a piss in the night.
Sounds very much like the ones in Liverpool that I saw. The single rooms in the lawns at Hull are around three times as big as the 'typical' room they showed us at Liverpool. The Liverpool one was more like a prison cell than a room to me, it didn't even have a proper bed.
Quote:
I mean, forget "i might get on with them" or anything - theres no way you can put up with even your best friend, wife, close family, girlfriend 24/7, no ****ing way. The fact that they "might be an arsehole" is an entirely seperate problem. Id be more concerned that a/ they were in my face b/ they had access to all my stuff c/ i couldnt wank.
I agree.
Quote:
If i was you Mushroom, and i mean this seriously, id do anything i could to get out of this pickle. The uni will give you a speel of "nobody wants to share, but someone has to", so you need to think of something else. A doctors note saying you have trouble sleeping would do it, or have mental problems.
I think now, considering all the opinions I've heard here and elsewhere, I will get in touch and I should be able to sort something out without resorting to feigning incontinency
My main fear about this is that by now their accommodation may well be more or less totally sorted, so I may well be put in a Liverpool-style cupboard somewhere. Still, I can only ask.

I don't think sharing a room is for me.
Thanks guys!

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 00:39   #23
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
which halls are you in Mushroom? i've only just sent my application form off yesterday ( :eek: ) and am now slightly worried that the same may happen to me.

why in gods name did you leave it so late?
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 01:13   #24
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Sharing a FLAT is bad enough for me.

Don't go the sharing a room option.

EVER!
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 01:30   #25
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i lived my first year in a single room. i found that rather hard (though i kept a candle draw for blackouts, a good country boy me)
my following two years i loved my set. i simply loved it. i have never had before or since a bath so deep. all my wood was 20's in oak. i loved it. simply loved it.

i knew then as i know now that i shall never live in so lovely a place ever again.

there was a visiting delegation of 'professors' from princeton given a tour of college by the pres. i agreed to give them tea. as one of them left (and even years later i am not sure if he thought 'i'm far enough away he shan't hear' or 'he is young and thus irrelevant') a tipsy chap (bearded and i had provided fizz, well, i hadn't bought it thank god and it was non vintage) remarked to the pres "in princeton we'd have had 8 of them in that. you're missing a trick"

it always dwells on my minds.

i believe in undergraduates. i love my college very much. but that love is not some mere snobbery. because of that love i know that you all must love your universities. you look back on them with warmth and with wry smiles.

i could not bear for mine to become a factory. a corporation. where undergraduates (so new to the world as i was) are literally milked for money. crammed into bunk beds like battery chickens.

no.

that is the answer.

no.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 08:26   #26
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It is rather like playing Russian roulette with 5 bullets in a 6 chamber revolver.

Shit idea really.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 09:09   #27
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

hey if you want to walk in to your room at 2am to see your room mate shagging and feel compelled to not even be able to sleep in your bed that night

go for it.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 09:33   #28
Embroglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Which is exactly why he should do it. The worse it gets, the better the stories you'll be able to tell later about that roommate you once shared a room with!
I MISSED YOU!
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 11:02   #29
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Hull seem to mess things up when it comes to freshers accomodation. My brother was put in some kind of temporary halls with a load of other people while they waited for people to drop out and leave space in the proper halls. Students were being moved over from day 1. I assume this will be the same situation for you. I was in a similar situation at Nottingham, where i had a temporary room until a normal one was free. Its surprising how fast people leave for whatever reasons, so i doubt you would be sharin with someone for too long, unless its been made clear you will be sharing all year.

Back to Hull. My brother and some of the friends he had made there in the first few days werent too impressed with the situation so went to the accom office to ask what could be done about it other than waiting around fr people to drop out. They sorted him out with a pretty decent house just outside the uni for him and 4 mates. From what i know Hull uni seems to own a lot of houses in the area, so this might be something to ask about either now or when you get there.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 11:06   #30
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Someone mentioned Lawns so i just went and spoke to my brother. In his words 'Lawns is the place to be'. Thwaite is shit aparently.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 13:56   #31
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

this is interesting, as when i visited the uni and they showed us around the lawns, my first thought was "what a hole"
We shall remember them.
Unread 21 Aug 2005, 02:48   #32
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

which lawens hall you see? wasn't the one on the side was it? (needler? think that was the name, but there's two lawns sites.)

either way the lawns is where you will fine most of the "life" so to speak. However if you've gone to university with the express intent to get a degree only, i'm sure the likes of thwaite or that posh one on campus would suit you well, i hear they're en suite too.

moral of the story though, the first year is about meeting people, whoi you can size up to live with in the second year. the more you mix, the better you'll do this

Unread 21 Aug 2005, 02:53   #33
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
However if you've gone to university with the express intent to get a degree only
you are talking to people who voluntarily went to the university of hull.
Unread 21 Aug 2005, 02:56   #34
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
don't make me angry, you won't like me when i'm angry....

Unread 21 Aug 2005, 02:59   #35
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
don't make me angry, you won't like me when i'm angry....
i think i can cope
Unread 21 Aug 2005, 03:05   #36
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
which lawens hall you see? wasn't the one on the side was it? (needler? think that was the name, but there's two lawns sites.)

either way the lawns is where you will fine most of the "life" so to speak. However if you've gone to university with the express intent to get a degree only, i'm sure the likes of thwaite or that posh one on campus would suit you well, i hear they're en suite too.

moral of the story though, the first year is about meeting people, whoi you can size up to live with in the second year. the more you mix, the better you'll do this
Taylor Court was me third choice it would've been my first if it wasn't such a long contract
We shall remember them.
Unread 21 Aug 2005, 03:08   #37
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of

a shared room at uni sounds like a wonderful premise for a sitcom with the no doubt hillarious consequences that are bound to arise over the course of the year.

however, in the real world it would be ****ing shit.
Unread 21 Aug 2005, 04:00   #38
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

Mushy it helps you to adapt to different people. I've done it, it wasn't so bad except the fact that he was a weirdo. But it helps you to be more open to people.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2005, 04:23   #39
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If you get a good guy, it will probably be great. I've shared a room since I was 13, and have nothing but positive to say about it.
However, I could "choose" to do so myself, it was not a complete stranger and I knew that we clicked. I can't imagine living with a young snob or a dirty crustpunker would be the that nice. So it's a gamble, but if you can move afterwards (if you regret it), then it's probably a great way to meet new people.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2005, 06:26   #40
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I chose it particularly because of the course, actually.
Which is why it's now hitting me so hard that I actually have to live there too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
but for Mushroom's sake I hope there's a chance he might bring a girl or two home for a night.
Heh, you're talking about a guy who has since the age of 14 been involved in the running of an internet game and its IRC network, and working to pass exams as well as possible - all at the expense of any form of social life.

This said, I am intending to take rather more of a "**** the internet" attitude this coming year.
I figure I've wasted enough of my life online already, I need to learn to enjoy myself...

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Mushroom; 21 Aug 2005 at 06:32.
Unread 21 Aug 2005, 10:26   #41
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ragnarak was in a shared room in his first year (poor him, no I mean the guy who had to share with Rag ) but sadly he's not around at the moment to comment on this.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 01:26   #42
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

1) Is the person you end up getting put with likely to snore? (and can you put up with it if they do?)
2) Do you snore? [ask your parents or your brother to find out] (which would probably lead to your room mate being less likely to like you since they'd have not been having any sleep)
3) Do you talk in your sleep, and if you do is there anything you don't mind others hearing?
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 01:47   #43
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

I had a friend who shared a room at a London uni halls.
After a couple of weeks there he pulled some dappy bird whom he would try and sneak the odd poke at while his flat mate was out. This proved difficult enough in its own rights.

Of course, when they finished with each other a few weeks after, and then he went back to his room to find her in bed with his flat mate, that was a whole new world of awkward. I believe her and his flat mate dated all the way through his year there.

So no. Its a shit idea.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 14:10   #44
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

A brief update.

I've just been in touch with the university's accommodation office and they say that it's impossible to move me.
If I don't get on with the person I'll be with for whatever reason, I'll have to register for a transfer list once I arrive. Even then there's no guarantee that I'll be able to be moved.

Oooh bollocks

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 16:20   #45
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 16:21   #46
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Tell them you piss yourself, for god sake

Unread 22 Aug 2005, 16:52   #47
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Tell them you piss yourself, for god sake
They said if there was any pressing reason why I couldn't share a room then I should have put it on my accommodation application form, and since I didn't there's nothing they can do.
They were rather condescending about it.
Admittedly I didn't say that I piss myself, but from the tone they took I assume their response would be the same.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 17:02   #48
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Shared uni rooms - good or bad?

When you say 'shared rooms', do you mean a shared bedroom, or what?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 17:11   #49
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
When you say 'shared rooms', do you mean a shared bedroom, or what?
he means one room
2 people living in it.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 17:16   #50
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Shared uni rooms - good or bad?

Actually, cancel the lube, you want them to be as physically ****ing traumatised as possible.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote