User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 7 Nov 2004, 02:22   #1
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Buying a playstation 2

Is it worth it?

I mean I will only play a few games most likely.... most of them race games and maybe a few rpg's....
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 02:24   #2
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Re: Buying a playstation 2

How much
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 02:41   #3
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

what else were you thinking of getting with the money?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 03:04   #4
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

They've released the new slimline PS2, if you could wait till after xmas it may come down in price, as for what's worth playing on it that you can't get on a decent pc...

GTA : SA (for now)
FFX and FFX-2
DDR in one of it's many versions (yes I did say DDR)
Devil May Cry series and the Resident Evil series.
Dragon Ball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh Games (lawl)
LOTR: The Third Age (heard good things about this)
Dynasty Warriors 4(the best reason to buy a PS2)
MGS 2
Omnimusha Series
Suikoden III & IV
Soul Calibur II
The Latest Mortal Kombat (suppose to be quite good)
Grandia II
I generally steer away from reccommending FPS for console's know they can be played better on a pc.
Burnout Series
ISS Pro Evo 2
Gran Turismo 4 should ship in time for xmas
TOCA Race driver
Tony Hawk 4 and Tony Hawk Underground

That pretty much covers what I'd say is good for the PS2.

Also don't forget the backwards compatibility which will allow you to play PS titles which helps cover the rest of the Suikoden, FF and Breath of Fire series.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 04:34   #5
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point

The new PStwo (thats the name of the smaller version) seems to have overheating problems, and indeed it does get scorchingly hot, reboots constantly etc. I would maybe just get a normal PS2, after all you can do without an ethernet port cant you?
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 04:43   #6
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyr0 MK III
The new PStwo (thats the name of the smaller version) seems to have overheating problems, and indeed it does get scorchingly hot, reboots constantly etc. I would maybe just get a normal PS2, after all you can do without an ethernet port cant you?
Ooooo ta for the heads up on that affair then, question is will any regular PS2's still be in circulation with regards to being retail new?

And is there any plans on them revising their slimline ps2 in future to deal with the overheating problems (seeing as this seems to be your field slightly).
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 07:47   #7
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

heh hans...martijn just bought one, better pm him.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 10:37   #8
Billy No Brains

Billy No Brains has a brilliant futureBilly No Brains has a brilliant futureBilly No Brains has a brilliant futureBilly No Brains has a brilliant futureBilly No Brains has a brilliant futureBilly No Brains has a brilliant futureBilly No Brains has a brilliant futureBilly No Brains has a brilliant futureBilly No Brains has a brilliant futureBilly No Brains has a brilliant futureBilly No Brains has a brilliant future

I have a X Box and a PS2.

I prefer the X Box.

I think the graphics are better, the remote controllers are better quality, and it looks smarter.

And Halo is worth the outlay on its own.

Halo2 is out 11th November, and I can't wait to get it. But I will have to though, I suppose.
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 12:36   #9
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

In my local Game you can still get a PS2 with SA, Fifa 2005 and FFX-2 for £140

Pretty good deal as your basically getting the PS2 for £50.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 12:55   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Consoles are coming out too quickly for game developers to take full advantage of it's capabilities, leaving us with standard, mediocre games. Not that the PC platform is any better in this regard.
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 12:56   #11
Burbank
Banned

Burbank is an unknown quantity at this point

get an xbox, that way you can play morrowind
Burbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 14:00   #12
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Why get an X-box when he appears to have a PC?? Assuming its less than 2 years old or he upgrades once in a while it'll out class an X-box.

As for the ps2, I mainly bought mine for FFX, kingdom hearts and Tony hawks. then i started picking up PSX games for 2.99 each at my local blockbuster.

So you can get good, 'pretty' games to play on the ps2 and you can pick up old classics from the PSX library.

If you are going to do it, do as sunday says and wait until the slimlines are released then picked up a 'fat' version. Unless you want to look cool and hip or somesuch bollocks.
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 14:20   #13
Burbank
Banned

Burbank is an unknown quantity at this point

plasma's back, yay
Burbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 16:43   #14
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbank
get an xbox, that way you can play morrowind
Morrowind on the XBOX is awful compared to the PC version.

You're missing out on all the really good mods out there that make the game one of the classics in its genre.

Unread 7 Nov 2004, 18:19   #15
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Flavius, isn't it just an RF cable you need to hook up a megadrive?

Your local electronics place will probably have them.

Round here woolworths, wh smith and tescos stocks them.
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 18:25   #16
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it's an RF output socket for the Genesis and the Snes, you should be able to get one easy enough from an electrical shop .

If in doubt just ask one of the more experienced looking guys.
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 19:17   #17
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

When we forgot the aerial for the playstation on a school trip years back we used a wire coat hangar.

Could work.

Unread 7 Nov 2004, 21:12   #18
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
And is there any plans on them revising their slimline ps2 in future to deal with the overheating problems (seeing as this seems to be your field slightly).
They havent made any anouncements, and they must have run accross this problem in testing, so I would imagine that unless there is huge uproar, they wont do anything about it.
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Unread 7 Nov 2004, 21:45   #19
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyr0 MK III
They havent made any anouncements, and they must have run accross this problem in testing, so I would imagine that unless there is huge uproar, they wont do anything about it.
Heh, I can imagine they expect that people buying PS2's now will be such casual users as to not notice it I guess...
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 01:59   #20
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

oh yes gran turismo, going to sort the finances and picking it up soon, after that i will make my housemates happy with a dvd player for in our living room
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 12:50   #21
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Heh, I can imagine they expect that people buying PS2's now will be such casual users as to not notice it I guess...
The problems with the K Chassis only seem to have effected early NTSC versions. Although there isn't an offical line on it, unoffically I'm hearing that PAL machines should be fine, as should all the NTSC versions available to buy now.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 13:18   #22
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbOlly
The problems with the K Chassis only seem to have effected early NTSC versions. Although there isn't an offical line on it, unoffically I'm hearing that PAL machines should be fine, as should all the NTSC versions available to buy now.
What the crap is a K CHassis? All the mini ones i've seen are the same. Anyway, these reports of over-heating are from people with NTSC machines, so maybe the PAL ones are ok.
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 13:48   #23
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

K Chassis = PSTwo. Sorry I'm just used to calling it that. Plus I'd guess the majority of reports are from people placing it on top of an Amp, or DVD player which is already producing a lot of heat itself.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 15:21   #24
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

get a gamecube
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 18:14   #25
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ps2 = better one player games
gamecube = some of the best party games in existence.

i would still go for the ps2 though

and for once, sunday is right, Dynasty Warriors rocks completely
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 20:28   #26
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
ps2 = better one player games
gamecube = some of the best party games in existence.

i would still go for the ps2 though

and for once, sunday is right, Dynasty Warriors rocks completely
I have a Gamecube because now me and the gf live with 4 others in a nice big house.

Alas they've taken to the spectator sport of watching my gf play Harvest Moon...

Though I usually get the good game of Sonic 2(yay $30 sonic compilation) against someone or Soul Calibur II.
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 23:54   #27
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Dynasty Warriors 4(the best reason to buy a PS2)
A fan of the Dynasty Warriors. Very good games. Personal favourite is DW2.

PS2 is great. However I am thinking of investing in a GameCude as many Resident Evil titles seem to be coming out for it. Mark my words in a few years from now games like "Mary-Kate and Ashley - My first driving test" will be on PS2.
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 00:35   #28
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

At which point i shall purchase one.

Unread 9 Nov 2004, 02:58   #29
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Ooooo ta for the heads up on that affair then, question is will any regular PS2's still be in circulation with regards to being retail new?

The PS2 is short in stock across the United Kingdom through GAME Stores Group plc. Thats stock throughout the chain and at the warehouse as of Sunday. The region my store is at has been without PS2s for a few days now (including the weekend) due to the shortage of them.

It's difficult to get the slim ones atm, never mind the older ones. The only older ones Ive seen in stock now are preowned.

To be honest, I haven't heard of any complaints yet from any customer regarding the new slimline ps2.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote