User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 12:22   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
Unix tools in Windows (easy set-up)

Anyone know of an easy way to get all the Unixy niceness (only need command line based really) in windows.

I tried that cygwin thing a while ago but it was a bit too much effort setting it all up and stuff.

Anyone know of anything nice and easy?

Ta, Weeks.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 14:14   #2
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
Re: Unix tools in Windows (easy set-up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagonecologyst
Anyone know of an easy way to get all the Unixy niceness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagonecologyst
bit too much effort setting it all up and stuff
hahahaha

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 14:37   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Try linux.org, they've got a few minimal distros that'll run on Windows or at least side-by-side.

Note I didn't check any of those URLs, they're just a few of what a Linux.org search showed up.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 15:09   #4
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point

eh? how is cygwin hard?
run the setup thingy, choose the things you want, let it install, add c:\cygwin\bin to your path; done

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 15:12   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What MT said.
C'mon, it comes with an install wizard these days, it couldn't be any easier. I got it so I could run SSHd on my XP desktop, and i had that and SSHd up and running in 10 minutes.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 17:12   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

why would anyone run windows without cygwin installed?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:57   #7
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

alright, alright, i'll try being less lame :P
p.s. ta i just recalled phatlinux that i used a while back.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 14:11   #8
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point

I though installing cygwin was just a matter of clicking the 'ok' button a few times... (While since I installed it, so I'm not sure.)

I suppose the trouble is because of the license agreement section which could confuse people who are used to windows... Since when it asks if you intend to copy the program freely and do whatever you want with it, you have to answer 'yes', instead of 'no' like in most windows programs...
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 17:49   #9
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

These guys here http://www.mkssoftware.com/ make a good set of unix tools for windows called mks toolkit. Might be a bit professional for what you want to do but have a look. Cant remember how expensive the kit is but you get a 7 day trial evaluation version to check it out.