User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Nov 2003, 14:49   #1
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point
wma - mp3

Anyone know of any good programs which will let me convert my wma files to mp3 format all in one go????????
Thanks.
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 15:10   #2
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: wma - mp3

www.tucows.com
www.download.com

have fun!
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 15:17   #3
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

dBpowerAMP Music Converter
wma-Codec
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 15:35   #4
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

No "good" program would allow such a heinous crime.
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 15:37   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

error, too many quesion marks in sentance.
error.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 16:24   #6
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
why on earth would any man prefer wma over mp3

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 16:51   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Smaller file sizes for higher quality.

Apparently.

Though DRM++
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 17:15   #8
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point

The best way to do this is for you to decode the wma into wav and then encode the wavs into mp3s

this is because you're converting one lossy format into another lossy format.
Doing it my way will reduce the amount of quality loss you will get.
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 17:17   #9
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 17:21   #10
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

omg
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 17:38   #11
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

if you cant be bothered with doing it my way

eg wma decoded into wav then encoded into mp3
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 18:39   #12
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyr0 MK III
The best way to do this is for you to decode the wma into wav and then encode the wavs into mp3s

this is because you're converting one lossy format into another lossy format.
Doing it my way will reduce the amount of quality loss you will get.
Erm....???

Manually decoding the files before reencoding will do nothing.
The reencoder will have to follow the process

WMA -> PCM -> MP3

So the amount of loss will be the exact same.

What he wants to do is re-rip the CD's (I assume you have the original cd's for the audio you have, otherwise naughty naughty!) and encode them at that stage into the desired format.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 18:48   #13
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbOlly
Erm....???
The process does reduce quality
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 18:50   #14
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

Converting

WMA->MP3

is no worse than

WMA->WAV
WAV->MP3

THEY ARE THE SAME THING.

Veni Vidi Codi
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 19:33   #15
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

sbolly regain control of your ass and stop speaking through it
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 19:34   #16
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Quote:
Converting

WMA->MP3

is no worse than

WMA->WAV
WAV->MP3

THEY ARE THE SAME THING.
The process that the various encoders/decoders use are ofc different.

The WMA-> mp3 one is more lossy than the WMA -> WAV one

even with extra process (WAV -> MP3)

the overall result is still better quality, simply because of the processes it has been through.

the WMA -> MP3 is a horrendous process
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 19:36   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Converting

WMA->MP3

is no worse than

WMA->WAV
WAV->MP3

THEY ARE THE SAME THING.
That's only true if there's no loss associated with WMA -> MP3 directly; since they are different methods of encoding, I'd say that there's a likelihood that most programs will cut corners and be prepared to make a few losses in return for a much faster process.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 21:28   #18
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

Ok, the thing people don't seem to understand here is that a WAV file is just PCM data. That is raw sample data. I.e a 48khz WAV file is 48000 samples (96000 bytes) without encoding.

This is the data that is used (albeit in a slightly more complicated way than I am explaining here) and sent directly to the DAC on your soundcard.

So now here's the hard part.....when you play a MP3 / WMA they are decoded into PCM data to be played by your DAC (soundcard). Following me on this ok?

As the MP3 and WMA file formats are NOT interchangable, the way a reencoder will work, is by decoding the original format to PCM (the base unencoded sample data, which is the same as a uncompressed WAV) and then using that data to encode to the new format.

So hopefully now you see, by converting the base compressed type to WAV to begin with, you are simply taking a step the reencoder would use and making it longer.

Veni Vidi Codi
Unread 19 Nov 2003, 00:21   #19
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
LOL
inf is offline   Reply With Quote