User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Aug 2003, 16:31   #1
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Nerds

Today I attened my first math lecture at my university. There I encountered a shocking sight.

Seven or so of the 50 large group fitted perfectly - and I say perfectly! - into the traditional 'nerd', 'geek' stereotype.

They were for real. The hair, the clothes, the shape of the body, the shape of the glasses, the body language, the behaviour, the voice. So striking. So convincing.

True, I've seen one or two that might fit such a description before, but almost always in isolated cases - never consentrated in one place like this.

I feel like I've been thrown into the real world at last.

This does sound weird but I felt like putting it to text since it's been running through my head ever since I came home.

Matrim
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 16:36   #2
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Pure coincidence. The first math convention I attended was filled with average looking (and some beautiful) people, and not a single one who could be spotted among people on the street, quite contrary to my prejudices.
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 17:05   #3
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
From your picture, I would of said that you aren't too far from fitting into your own stereotypes there. So stop being so judgemental.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 17:17   #4
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SbOlly
From your picture, I would of said that you aren't too far from fitting into your own stereotypes there. So stop being so judgemental.
a very valid point!
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 17:23   #5
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Although, if I'd google for all the pics under topic "Tietäjä", I'd end up with a bunch of pics of a finnish mythological character, Tietäjä Väinämöinen, who, apparently, is ageless, usually pictured as an old man with a lenghty beard and a weird hat.

Instead, I am 18.

I get rid of my beard every day.

A valid point indeed.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 17:25   #6
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Tietäjä
I am 18.

I get rid of my beard every day.
Every day????

By the time you're 30 you'll be shaving every hour!
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 17:27   #7
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Every day????

By the time you're 30 you'll be shaving every hour!
A bit exaggerating indeed, but I do shave daily, or at least every other day. I doubt the growth will speed up any, but, isn't it a bit varying individual-by-individual? Some people don't shave before they are twenty innit. Some do at 15´s.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 17:29   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The stereotypes in uni are phenomenal.

You think that TV plays it up but no...theres real people who actually look/sound/act like the stereotypes that are portreyed...
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 17:33   #9
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
A bit exaggerating indeed, but I do shave daily, or at least every other day. I doubt the growth will speed up any, but, isn't it a bit varying individual-by-individual? Some people don't shave before they are twenty innit. Some do at 15´s.
It has speeded up for me over the years. Maybe I'm just a freak, dunno.
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 17:39   #10
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
It has speeded up for me over the years. Maybe I'm just a freak, dunno.
So, how often did you shave at 18's?
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 17:41   #11
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
i shave once a week, or less, as i'm too lazy. and i like my 3 day beard. If i think about it, i would prolly need to shave once every 2-3 days to look more or less good...
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 18:37   #12
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by SbOlly
i believe that this is matrim

http://gallery.netgamers.org/view.php?nick=Matrim

who tho obviously geeky, is by no means as geeky as the person in matrim's sig. If you did actually mean the matrim im on about then
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 18:43   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Nerds

What's wrong with fitting into some stereotype?

Are you saying that black people should deliberately avoid eating fried chicken simply to buck your unimportant cliche?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 18:45   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

You're doing maths at university, ffs.

Maths and University

What the **** did you expect? Did you think they would all be wearing gucci or something?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 18:55   #15
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
So, how often did you shave at 18's?
About every 3/4 days. 5 years on I'm shaving every 2 days.
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 21:43   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
What the **** did you expect? Did you think they would all be wearing gucci or something?
I'm the king of style I'll have you know.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2003, 22:06   #17
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Some people don't shave before they are twenty innit. Some do at 15´s.
I'd say most lads actually shave* by 15.

* need to shave
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 00:53   #18
MrBrick
Gone

MrBrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
The stereotypes in uni are phenomenal.

You think that TV plays it up but no...theres real people who actually look/sound/act like the stereotypes that are portreyed...
JJ goes to my Uni. JJ fits into the fag stereotype.

I love him in the ass

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 15 Aug 2003 at 01:00.
MrBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 01:00   #19
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by W
The first math convention I attended
nerd
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 01:02   #20
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
You're doing maths at university, ffs.

Maths and University

I did maths at Uni
There were 7 people in my (single honours) class, of which I'd say one fitted the nerd stereotype. One was a 36 yr old ex electrician with a drink problem, one was a single mother of 28, one looked like the singer out of Simply Red, but was from Newcastle, one was a 'trendy' type, one was a kinda demure pixie like female, and then there was me.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 01:22   #21
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Here in Huntsville, Alabama I was told that half the people are engineers. So far, 40 percent of the people I have met outside of work are engineers. The first engineer I met was a gorgeous, black-haired, dark-eyed, very fit 25ish woman from Long Island, New York. The first time I saw her was in the gym, but she looks a lot better when she dresses up to go out for the evening. The second engineer I met was a 25ish, fit, blond-haired guy, I was playing against him in volleyball, and I offered to introduce him to the girl I had met a couple of weeks before.

My point is that math people do not always fit the sterotype.

I also met a guy who designs rockets for NASA. He is probably in his 50's, so it is hard to tell whether he matches the stereotype, but I will say that I met him on the golf course, and he was a much better player than I.

I did not study math in Uni. I took tests that would allow me to get credit for the courses necessary to get a degree.
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 01:22   #22
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
you're goth right, sarah?
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2003, 01:31   #23
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by KoeN
you're goth right, sarah?
No......

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote