User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 7 Jun 2003, 18:54   #1
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
If.....

....you could program anything, what would it be?

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 19:05   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
A filesystem for windows that didn't require defragmenting.

*sigh*
It's been going 15 minutes and is on 3%...

Unread 7 Jun 2003, 19:18   #3
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
A wish-granter that granted me infinite wishes.
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 19:55   #4
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
What do you mean; "If I could program anything"?

Assuming you mean a "real" app...?

Set some constraints or guidelines, like; how many man-years can I spend, etc.

Or do you really mean, what app would I want (for free)?
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 19:56   #5
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by W
A wish-granter that granted me infinite wishes.
You only need one that grants you one wish - just wish for the ability to grant yourself any wish...
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 21:51   #6
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus
You only need one that grants you one wish - just wish for the ability to grant yourself any wish...
Well sorry for wanting some redundancy just to be safe!
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 03:04   #7
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus
What do you mean; "If I could program anything"?

Assuming you mean a "real" app...?

Set some constraints or guidelines, like; how many man-years can I spend, etc.

Or do you really mean, what app would I want (for free)?

Ok, 1000 man hours programming, and any program that could be made by today's technology.

Veni Vidi Codi
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 03:20   #8
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by SbOlly
Ok, 1000 man hours programming, and any program that could be made by today's technology.
A multiclient for sharing of resources/files/information and messaging/online presence indicator, that had various levels of trust, and supported all todays popular protocols (mail news web ftp p2p messaging etc)
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 06:57   #9
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
An advanced AI more intelligent than humans, capable of improving itself and reprogramming itself.

Or does it have to be humans' today's technology?
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 12:57   #10
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
An advanced AI more intelligent than humans, capable of improving itself and reprogramming itself.

Or does it have to be humans' today's technology?
hello world domination by that damn evil program.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 13:01   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
A better mouse-trap*

*(spam filter)
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 22:35   #12
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
So its 'anything I want' with the stipulation that it takes less than a man month?

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 09:33   #13
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

I don't know what sort of months you have where you live, but if I was to work on something 24 hours a day, for 31 solid days, I would still only have worked for 744 hours.

If you take into account work, sleep and pleasure, and say have 4-5 hours a day spare, you are talking roughly 6 months work.

Anyhow, someone else asked for constraints, so I gave some. Originally there wasn't any.

Veni Vidi Codi
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 11:11   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
My damn call logger.

More generically : a program which can be called up / closed from/to the systray by an easy key shortcut.

Brings up a post-it note style text-entry system with customisable fields (e.g. Name/Telephone/E-mail if you wanted to use it for keeping contacts - Name/URL for web faves). Stores it in a db style format (could just be a flat-text file or something XML based for no reason).

A broswer to go through previous entries (to edit/delete) plus the ability to flag certain entries, run reports, free-text searches. etc.

Ridiculously easy, so get on with it.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 11:43   #15
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of programming to get back into VB6, but I have little to no time to work on that now. I really could use such a program, heh.
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 13:05   #16
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
My damn call logger.

More generically : a program which can be called up / closed from/to the systray by an easy key shortcut.

Brings up a post-it note style text-entry system with customisable fields (e.g. Name/Telephone/E-mail if you wanted to use it for keeping contacts - Name/URL for web faves). Stores it in a db style format (could just be a flat-text file or something XML based for no reason).

A broswer to go through previous entries (to edit/delete) plus the ability to flag certain entries, run reports, free-text searches. etc.

You remember the "disgusted-can't-believe-you-couldn't-come-up-with-anything-half-interesting' face I pulled when you suggested this only a couple of days ago? Well I'm pulling that face again now.

Its because you couldn't be asked to think of anything I made this damned thread. Fine. I'll do your damned call logger thing AGAIN.

Veni Vidi Codi
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 16:04   #17
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I don't know what sort of months you have where you live, but if I was to work on something 24 hours a day, for 31 solid days, I would still only have worked for 744 hours.

If you take into account work, sleep and pleasure, and say have 4-5 hours a day spare, you are talking roughly 6 months work.

Anyhow, someone else asked for constraints, so I gave some. Originally there wasn't any.
Oops, I must ave been a tad tired, I did 4 weeks * 8 hours a day * 40 hour week. For some mad reason. I'm not sure what :/

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 14:28   #18
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Something that stops Windoze "Forgetting" settings.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 15:19   #19
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

What settings?

Veni Vidi Codi