User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 1 Apr 2009, 12:49   #101
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold
Re: Alliance size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
Maybe these issues really can only be countered by changing the market alliances operate in, i.e. increase the playerbase.
This is what I have long stated is the main issue behind lower tier players finding the game less fun. It's not alliance size, or galaxy size, but the frequency of the incomings that causes the problem.

It's why I'm hugely in favour of a Facebook app of some sort - this would undoubtably bring in new players, the majority of whom would almost certainly be less active than the current middle tier alliances. The end result would be a diluting of the farming incoming the middle and lower level players would recieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membrivio View Post
Third, I have shown in a previous post in this thread that Orbit in this situation even had no theoretical chance in this round. I think that every alliance should have a theoretical chance on being #1. At this moment activity requirement and pure numbers make the difference.
Almost everything you'rve posted has been well thought out and interesting Membrivio, but I do take issue with this part of your statement. If you choose not to play a game in the way required to succeed (scorewise - I'm not saying you guys don't succeed within your goals) at it, you shouldn't have a chance of winning it hardcoded in just to account for this. As an analogy, that would be like shortening a race for one athlete who decided he didn't want to develop the stamina needed to race over the standard distance.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]

Last edited by Shev; 1 Apr 2009 at 12:56.
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2009, 12:53   #102
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Which doesn't solve the problem at all, just move it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2009, 13:00   #103
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Which doesn't solve the problem at all, just move it.
Maybe it doesn't solve the problem, but planetarion has never been 'fair' to new or lower tier players. It's not going to be, unless you advocate a completely new game - maybe you do, but it's not going to happen.

Spreading out the bad parts is about the only way to make it fun for as many as possible without going off into an imaginary utopia.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2009, 13:11   #104
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post
Almost everything you'rve posted has been well thought out and interesting Membrivio, but I do take issue with this part of your statement. If you choose not to play a game in the way required to succeed (scorewise - I'm not saying you guys don't succeed within your goals) at it, you shouldn't have a chance of winning it hardcoded in just to account for this. As an analogy, that would be like shortening a race for one athlete who decided he didn't want to develop the stamina needed to race over the standard distance.
Agreed. My point is however that based on this criterion of activity required, you will never get masses of new players.
Hence, I propose different criteria to determine who will be #1. PA is meant to be a *strategy* game, not a sleep deprivation game.
We both know that these kind of changes are very unlikely to come through though.
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2009, 20:09   #105
MACOS

MACOS will become famous soon enoughMACOS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii View Post
the only way the game could improve (not necessarily changing) is through better explanation of quests, the manual, and by adding tutorials for new players. look at the free mmo's coming out now that have picture tutorials for new players. NosTale, PWI, SRO all come to mind. actually, i might talk with appoco and work on something in my spare time.
how about creating a kind of a "speed-tick simulator" (NPC-like), where new players can learn how to play the game in an active fashion.. Getting a written manual thrown in your face kinda bites my nipple.. simulator and a manual as a supplement, would ease the introduction to the game.. and new players will appear as more competent players and be more accepted in the community..
MACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2009, 00:03   #106
Villeh
Ubi concordia, ibi victor

Villeh is on a distinguished road

There is a speed game running non stop afaik, great place to fiddle around by yourself to learn different aspects of the game.
This 'feature' could possibly be emphasized better on the Portal!

* We do not exist *
Villeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2009, 14:13   #107
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough

Maybe I am seeing it wrong, but I get the feeling that everything should be solved with more or stricter rules. I think a lot of problems can occur if people are trying to force players into patterns that aren't natural. Why take away peoples chances to play with those they want? Who says it is a necessity to have 30 alliances? If you removed all limits to alliances, what would happen? My guess is you would lose many of the smaller ones and get bigger blocks. Could be more fun imo. An all out gigantic war between few, big alliances could be fun for a round.

The only thing I know for sure is that I would not have played this round if it wasn't for my ally. I enjoy playing with them and also I like the way things are done there. My option for last round would not have been to go to another ally but to not play. But that's me..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2009, 17:13   #108
Fuzzy
White Van Man Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Spider Jump Champion

Fuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CP- View Post
My option for last round would not have been to go to another ally but to not play. But that's me..
a stranger is a friend you havent met yet!
#1 gal r29 - 1:10 ftw \o/
son of BENNEH, brother of bread| (former son of eksero )

"You cant say an alliance lost, when they finished 2nd" - Light, 2009
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2009, 17:26   #109
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
a stranger is a friend you havent met yet!
or a creepy stalker

I think that, as PA is so community based, it's as likely that if we try and break the alliances communities they will fragment and we'll loose large chunks of them as them successfully creating sub alliances.
Unread 7 Apr 2009, 17:39   #110
Fuzzy
White Van Man Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Spider Jump Champion

Fuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to behold

maybe

i just dislike the logic that not playing at all is better than playing with new people! i play with new people every round (with some familiar faces) and i like getting to e-meet new people. sure community is important and playing with friends is nice but you can always become parts of new communities and make new e-friends.

as for not limiting alliance sizes as to not break communities...do you really believe that alliances in this game have CORE communities of 70+ members who play with an ally round after round after round?

the idea of 30/40 man allies is silly cause yes, that would cause problems...but 50-80 wouldnt cause many tears imo, unless it was tears of 'oh noes i might not get to play in the ally that wins every round! i quit!'
#1 gal r29 - 1:10 ftw \o/
son of BENNEH, brother of bread| (former son of eksero )

"You cant say an alliance lost, when they finished 2nd" - Light, 2009
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2009, 18:45   #111
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
i just dislike the logic that not playing at all is better than playing with new people!
Oh.. sorry if that is how I was interpreted. I have nothing against new people. It is not because I don't want to play with new people. I meet new people every round, like we all do. In my case I have the same thoughts after every round since I "quit" after 9,5. I always think that I am not gonna play another round. It takes to much time and I hate the lack of sleep. But as you know, it is fun as well, and every round with new chances and new planet makes me forget all the bad times of the round before.

All I am saying is that if I am gonna play, and dedicate a big part of my spare time (and some work time) I want to do it with a group of players I know, trust and respect. If not, I sure could use some extra time for rl things..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2009, 22:02   #112
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
the idea of 30/40 man allies is silly cause yes, that would cause problems...but 50-80 wouldnt cause many tears imo, unless it was tears of 'oh noes i might not get to play in the ally that wins every round! i quit!'
^^

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2009, 19:45   #113
Edge
hate us cuz they ain't us

Edge has a spectacular aura aboutEdge has a spectacular aura about

I definitely think that there is some what of a power monopoly going on atm but as its been said before. If you can't beat them.. start a war!

There were many times during the round that if certain allies joined up with each other they could have flattened Asc. I remember in the old days if one alliance was getting to big.. all the other smaller alliances at least did their best to put up a fight..

I guess all in all. I am not in favor of alliance caps I don't think that will really stop anything and you will end up with sub alliances that NAP each other anyway and create much of a similar thing but now you have another entity to be mad at as well.

I think what needs to happen are mass Ally NAPs like in some of the earlier rounds. Basically before the rounds would even start, lines would be drawn in the sand and battle plans where being created. I don't see that a lot here anymore.

imo
Unread 12 Apr 2009, 12:50   #114
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

As far as alliance size goes, in theory smaller alliances would be more fun.. As it would allow for more wars and tougher fight for #1. However, practically all that would happen is people would have permenant naps and shared attack channels to kill everyone else using there number superiority. Also, alliances would still be free to recruit over the alliance limit number..
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 10:37   #115
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

The question is, if alliance limits were removed realisticly who would recruit the mass of members? Currently I feel that ascendancy would walk all over everyone (even more so than now) if the limit was lifted. There was plenty of talk on these forums last round about the 120+ members in asc. Wasn't it a couple rounds ago denial ended up mass recruiting pretty much in a 75 man limit and had over 100? Whether i'm badly informed or not this thread has simply been saying output of fleets can = a easy win. Especially when the people sending those fleets are half skilled. If I am right about alliances already over recruiting whats stopping them getting close to double this without any limit imposed?

Sorry to keep using asc as an example here but they seem to be able to take in players when they need or atleast people come to them. I feel that if the limit was removed they could potentially get over 150 people, which may require 2 alliances such as for example ct/nd merging together to form a new tag to fight this bigger ally (if they wanted a simple no asc win r31 for example no need to compete against eachother in seperate tags). The problem comes in, will alliances disband and/or lose their own identity to become a "new" alliance? CT has been running for 10 rounds now? ND for a shit load, VGN the same. I dont really see alliances like this willing to disband to form a new one with double the players just to stop ASC when they are set in their own methods. It will reduce choice and move away from individuality, be a right headache for people who actually dont like playing together etc.

Anyway, i know the simple answer is doing to be "just get better and beat asc" but i dont see that happening any time soon, especially with no limits on alliances and theres nothing to stop a similar calibre ally doing the same.
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 10:44   #116
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

The tendancy for very rapid rcruitment is I think it is another side effect of how ascendancy does things. With anyone being able to propose someone and there being a decent chance it will pass (I think about 2/3rds of props in asc pass) means that most people after a short while will invite someone else into asc. As almost everyone has friends they would like in their alliances this means that while most alliances rely on people comming to them and getting an interview or finding a group of vouchers ascendancy goes to the playerbase and asks those it thinks would be an addition, while a round is in progress this seems to be much faster method of recruitment allowing what is usually to start with a fairly weak asc in terms of numbers to catch up and become the biggest alliance by the end.
Most people are willing to give ascendancys methods a try (and yes asc is a sucessful alliance) so most people if asked are not going to say no to being proposed. If not for the time limits on rounds and many people leaving at the end of any round this would probably lead, even with tag limits, to exponential growth!

the being out of tag is a necessary deterrence to stop asc getting too big in any round!

Otterly an Otter.

Last edited by booji; 13 Apr 2009 at 10:50.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 10:48   #117
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
As far as alliance size goes, in theory smaller alliances would be more fun.. As it would allow for more wars and tougher fight for #1. However, practically all that would happen is people would have permenant naps and shared attack channels to kill everyone else using there number superiority. Also, alliances would still be free to recruit over the alliance limit number..
But thats the fun of it! Bring the support rule back in, have 40 member limits. When one alliances is destoryed, the "block" will move to the next and ofcourse with all these alliances, it will happen very quickely. Making for an interesting round! Because the dead alliances will come back and die again. Loads of examples of this sort of round plays can we seen in R30. Ascendancy rise, Ascendancy roided to the groud, Ascendancy flys! But ofc on a larger scale

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 11:32   #118
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post
But thats the fun of it! Bring the support rule back in, have 40 member limits. When one alliances is destoryed, the "block" will move to the next and ofcourse with all these alliances, it will happen very quickely. Making for an interesting round! Because the dead alliances will come back and die again. Loads of examples of this sort of round plays can we seen in R30. Ascendancy rise, Ascendancy roided to the groud, Ascendancy flys! But ofc on a larger scale
Or Asc instead of going down to a 40man alliance, simply goes up to a 120man alliance with 3 tags. What a interesting round that would be.. 120 vs 40 (If you lower the limits, it doesnt mean no-one will abuse it.. its simply a case of lower them too much and alliances will use multiple tags).
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 11:33   #119
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee View Post
Sorry to keep using asc as an example here but they seem to be able to take in players when they need or atleast people come to them. I feel that if the limit was removed they could potentially get over 150 people, which may require 2 alliances such as for example ct/nd merging together to form a new tag to fight this bigger ally (if they wanted a simple no asc win r31 for example no need to compete against eachother in seperate tags). The problem comes in, will alliances disband and/or lose their own identity to become a "new" alliance? CT has been running for 10 rounds now? ND for a shit load, VGN the same. I dont really see alliances like this willing to disband to form a new one with double the players just to stop ASC when they are set in their own methods. It will reduce choice and move away from individuality, be a right headache for people who actually dont like playing together etc.

Anyway, i know the simple answer is doing to be "just get better and beat asc" but i dont see that happening any time soon, especially with no limits on alliances and theres nothing to stop a similar calibre ally doing the same.
It depends on a lot of factors, actually. Round length, among them. The longer the round, the greater the difference between the winning alliance's planets and others.

The real question, in a value round, is whether an alliance of 75 people could hold more roids longer than an alliance of 150 people. The answer is trivially yes, though it might not be so trivial if the alliance of 150 is a high quality alliance and the alliance of 75 is not.

Would alliances be required to merge to compete for #1? Some might erroneously think so (furious omen anyone?), but I think there would still be better paths to the top. Merging is risky business. Better to just beat the crap out of the bigger alliance.

And let's not forget that having more people isn't without its distinct disadvantages.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 12:00   #120
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Or Asc instead of going down to a 40man alliance, simply goes up to a 120man alliance with 3 tags. What a interesting round that would be.. 120 vs 40 (If you lower the limits, it doesnt mean no-one will abuse it.. its simply a case of lower them too much and alliances will use multiple tags).
Haha... You dont think those three alliances would battle it out? I think they would. Also dont you think the community will do equal activities to sort the balance of the round out. When an alliance seperates like that, I'm sure there will be problems on either sides. And I dont really think people in Ascendancy such as JBG, jester will want 3 alliances fighting alongside to win, ofcourse working together at times is a different matter.

EDIT: Also the fact of the matter is, 40 people in one tag = easier to take out then 100 people in one tag.

Unread 13 Apr 2009, 12:19   #121
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

And how would they decide which of those 3 tags would take #1?

They'd argue and fight each other for it.

It's far easier to have a 40 man ascendancy with their core players than 3 40 man ascendancies battling it out for #1, presumable with the split accross all 3.

I honestly think 40-50 man alliances will bring more interesting play than the current 100 or whatever it is.
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 12:40   #122
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

The problem with the idea that 3 asc tags might fight is that Ur looking at it and seeing 3 tags and thinking that might affect the psychology; It wont work like that from the alliances perspective its the tag that is the artificial interloper. The idea that the Tag>Asc is absurd; the good of the whole alliance would trump that of any individual tag any day. Many times it has been posted on these forums that Asc is about TEAM PLAY that means the WHOLE team not a third or half of it; which tag comes first would be the subject of a roid-race; not a war.
The whole aim would be for Asc to have tags in first second and third!
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 13:16   #123
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B5]Londo View Post
The problem with the idea that 3 asc tags might fight is that Ur looking at it and seeing 3 tags and thinking that might affect the psychology; It wont work like that from the alliances perspective its the tag that is the artificial interloper. The idea that the Tag>Asc is absurd; the good of the whole alliance would trump that of any individual tag any day. Many times it has been posted on these forums that Asc is about TEAM PLAY that means the WHOLE team not a third or half of it; which tag comes first would be the subject of a roid-race; not a war.
The whole aim would be for Asc to have tags in first second and third!
and even if they do end up fighting... they will only do that once every other is dead and they've secured #1/2/3.
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 13:40   #124
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You're projecting your alliances' issues onto Ascendancy. Mistakenly so, I might add.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 13 Apr 2009 at 19:11.
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 15:45   #125
CBA
Mind-boggling

Well in my opinion, once a tag limit was capped at 40 Ascendancy would as well as other alliances simply ditch alot of its members, start off with 60/80 and members would most likely move on and find something else to make a competitive round. I kind of hope this would happen as well. Maybe Ascendancy would not completely ditch everyone like r29 but I expect something similar as the recruits of R30 seem to be pretty mixed. Thats all i will say about that Lets face it, lower tag limits = lower amount of people in alliance 'x' private channels. Problems may occur but I think the balance of nature would make it alot better considering 40 players is a smaller number to control, a smaller number to def and a smaller to number to attack, meaning alot of 40 man alliances should be able to utilse fleets much better then that of 80/90/100 man alliances. Ascendancy making a 3 alliance block? Surely 40 best of CT/ND/VGN, without all the weaker players can sort of compete with that? But my theory is that Ascendancy would not want to play in 3 alliances all working well together. Ofcourse I could be wrong and If I'm I still think the round would be fairer then other rounds with larger tag limits.

Unread 13 Apr 2009, 17:26   #126
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

We pretty much ignore the tag limit as an alliance, we've split the alliance into multiple tags before, with the obvious goal of getting the Ascendancy tag to win.

Other alliances could do the same, but they don't. No idea why not.

Edit: also what mz said.
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 17:28   #127
PewPewQQ
Google Me.
Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Summer Games Champion, Twelve Swap Champion

PewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the rough

It's a game, get over it, things are going to change for the better or worse thats just life. You lot take the game to seriously and need to turn your computer off and live a little, believe it or not there's a whole world outside your bedroom door. I promise.
PewPewQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 17:36   #128
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewQQ View Post
It's a game, get over it, things are going to change for the better or worse thats just life. You lot take the game to seriously and need to turn your computer off and live a little, believe it or not there's a whole world outside your bedroom door. I promise.
I would like to petition for anyone posting anything along these lines to get banned from the forums for life, or irc if they say it on there. In the absence of a time machine to send people back to 1997 when saying something like this might have been vaguely original I feel it's the only way we can move forward as a group.
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 17:56   #129
[ND]Byrney
Nobody

[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold

He's right, people that play planetarion and post on the forums have no life rofl sad bastards.
[ND]Byrney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 20:31   #130
ATRO

ATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant futureATRO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewQQ View Post
Coming from a guy that not so long ago was encouraging an iphone app my thoughts are best left unsaid.

I have to say i do not have a positive opinion to offer on this, i keep swaying one way and then the other to be perfectly honest.

I do however think something someone said in an earlier post interested me, i think it was Mz who was calling for a little dynamism, play around a bit with the limits round on round over the next couple and see how it goes, maybe try 50ish and then a no tag round and see what happens?
ATRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 20:38   #131
CBA
Mind-boggling

The more time one spends of forums, the less time one spends on irc and pa!

woop woop!

With the tag limits lowered to counter alliances playing like Ascendancy members claim they would play, as i already suggested using the support planet rule, but also make tweak time swtiching to tags could be implimented to stop them one larger group focussing on one tag winning. I just think it would still whichever I have looked at it from, at this current time, seem 40man tags would make the game more competitive at all levels.

Unread 13 Apr 2009, 20:54   #132
Mzyxptlk
mz.

It was Achi.

We have already played around with the limit. It's been everywhere between 60 and 100 already. This has had absolutely zero impact on the number of alliances and players.

Here's a useful graph.

The red line is the alliance limit of each round, using the primary Y-axis.
The blue line is the average members per alliance in each round, using the primary Y-axis.
The green line is the number of alliances playing each round, using the secondary Y-axis.
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 20:57   #133
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I`d love to see a round of 40 player limit on tags and no deffing between tags cept ingal.
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 21:18   #134
Banned
Banned

Quote:
It was Achi.

We have already played around with the limit. It's been everywhere between 60 and 100 already. This has had absolutely zero impact on the number of alliances and players.

Here's a useful graph.

The blue line is the average members per alliance in each round, using the primary Y-axis.
The green line is the number of alliances playing each round, using the secondary Y-axis.
And p=? for correlation?
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 21:51   #135
CBA
Mind-boggling

Quote:
It was Achi.

Here's a useful graph.

Thats all very well and good. Well done on your graph mz. However with a limit at 40, becaused of the massive reduction in membercount, that graph becomes pretty irrelevent because of the fact, that its not been done before, gone that low I mean. Also you're failing to attribute your statistics with planetarion alliances. For instance, 40 is a count at which lots of alliances stand a chance. For instance Rock/Redemption(when they have a decent membercount in a round)/xVx(Certainly),VGN,ToF. Infact, even the likes of Orbit, ASS(to a certain extent) can must a decent 40 members. Obviously ND/CT/Denial/Omen(whichever are playing etc) all have 40 decent members, you would hope. So basically what I'm saying is, take away the worst players from these alliances and bam, you got yourself a damn competitive round in my opinion of course.

Unread 13 Apr 2009, 21:53   #136
CBA
Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx View Post
I`d love to see a round of 40 player limit on tags and no deffing between tags cept ingal.
The question is, would your place in Ascendancy be secure ?

Seriously though, the problem I would see would be alliances spliting there tags in half, i.e. Conspiracy going 40 40, Ascendancy going 40 40 and some remaining, making galaxys half and half meaning when one alliance gets more incs they can def each other, vice versa. BUT having a smaller galaxy limit would help this incredibly.

Unread 13 Apr 2009, 22:35   #137
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
And p=? for correlation?
I have not the faintest idea.

Quote:
Thats all very well and good. Well done on your graph mz. However with a limit at 40, becaused of the massive reduction in membercount, that graph becomes pretty irrelevent because of the fact, that its not been done before, gone that low I mean.
Why do you think we cannot extrapolate from this data? What is the huge difference between a 40 member cap and a 60 member cap that doesn't also exist between a 60 member cap and a 100 member cap?

Quote:
Also you're failing to attribute your statistics with planetarion alliances. For instance, 40 is a count at which lots of alliances stand a chance. For instance Rock/Redemption(when they have a decent membercount in a round)/xVx(Certainly),VGN,ToF. Infact, even the likes of Orbit, ASS(to a certain extent) can must a decent 40 members. Obviously ND/CT/Denial/Omen(whichever are playing etc) all have 40 decent members, you would hope. So basically what I'm saying is, take away the worst players from these alliances and bam, you got yourself a damn competitive round in my opinion of course.
Let's assume for one moment you're right, that smaller tag limits will indeed make alliances kick players. It would be as you say, all these alliances would kick all but their 40 best players. Then what would happen to the newbies? I'll tell you what: they would end up in crappy tags at the low end of the top20, with crappy HCs, crappy officers, a crappy knowledge of the game and no way to improve any of those things. These people will become demoralised and lose interest in the game. Does this seem like a good thing to you?

The issue here is that you're catering to the wrong crowd; the people that are already here aren't the ones we need to please; they already like the game enough to sign up round after round after round.

The people that look at the game for half an hour, who don't understand it and leave; the people that log in a couple of times over the duration of a week, who get exiled twice, who give up and leave; the people that play an hour a day for a month, who get roided or killed several times, get frustrated and leave. These are the people we should be catering to, if we ever hope to increase the number of players.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 13 Apr 2009 at 22:40. Reason: merged
Unread 13 Apr 2009, 22:50   #138
CBA
Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Why do you think we cannot extrapolate from this data?
We can indeed extrapolate your data. We can utilise it into our understanding of tag limits, alliance sizes, community sizes, but I dont feel we can actually use it as justification or overal conclusions on what will/can/should happen if the tag limit drops to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Let's assume for one moment you're right, that smaller tag limits will indeed make alliances kick players. It would be as you say, all these alliances kick all but their 40 best players. What will happen to the newbies? They will end up in crappy tags at the low end of the top20, with crappy HCs, crappy officers, crappy knowledge of the game and no way to improve any of those things. These people will become demoralised and lose interest in the game. Does this seem like a good thing to you?

The issue here is that you're catering to the wrong crowd; the people that are already here aren't the ones we need to please, they already like the game enough to sign up round after round after round.

The people that look at the game for half an hour, who don't understand it and leave; the people that log in a couple of times over the duration of a week, who get exiled twice, who give up and leave; the people that play an hour a day for a month, who get roided or killed several times, get frustrated and leave. These are the people we should be catering to, if we ever hope to increase the number of players.
I think you make fair points. I believe that small alliances to the extent which is 60% less then the previous rounds will mean massive amounts of new alliances springing. For instance, all of these bgs that are forming will all easily adopt the alliance structure as I feel that will be better suited meaning that more alliances equals more players that you want to play in that close circuit. I'm sure people will be more willing and offering to work hard into accepted and recruiting friends from other games, old pa players to come and play in a way more competitive game, where more alliances stand a chance. This can also mean lots of 'inexperienced' officers running alliances, agreed. However I personally know of lots of experienced officers who would love the chance to run alliances and may not ever have a chance because of the alliance limit being at 60/80/100.

Also if we ever did get onto facebook, the idea of the maximum tag being 40, i.e. new players singing up, clicking alliance page, seeing alliance membercount being '40' would make them think, "oh, maybe i can ask x,y,z if they want to play" with the 40 number being in mind, where it is a small number, easy to recruit and the self perception of the game would be that of appeal because of the fact people would think they can get 40 people together easily. I know when I was at school when I started playing planetarion, it was round 2 or something, but the point was that I was sitting in an I.T lab with around 25 people all signing onto pa to try it out. IF i saw 40 member limits I woulda grabbed the 25, got them tagged up, gain 15 more friends and result! thats 40 players in an alliance. So perhaps even having 30 in an alliance is doable, but the trouble is I dont want to breach the point where have an alliance is not plausable, and at 40 I believe it is a good number.

Taking into account last round DLR, with 20~ members attack and defence can be quite coordinated and done successfully, obviously having an american 's help with defence and such, but with the ingame tools I believe now is the time to change pa. And I believe smaller tag limits could be a contributing factor to PA's success. Also smaller tags = smaller galaxys undoubtably. attacking as an alliance, without having to team up is in my opinion crucial. Obviously teaming up at select times will happen more often so big chances and interventions in politics with be a contributing feature to a possible exciting round.

Unread 14 Apr 2009, 23:44   #139
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

mz... abusing statistics again?
You must be a marketeer or summat, they have the same tendency
CBA is right on this particular issue.

On the alliance size issue in reply to the posts between my previous and current post I wish to merely comment that whatever way we look at it, it is time for someone to bring some ****ing sense into the variation of alliance sizes. If we look at mz's crafted graph we can see that there is no, but then also absolutely no idea behind it.
Hence, my main recommendation is: above all think of an underlying rationale to decide on the alliance size. Do not just implement a (seemingly) random alliance size number every round.
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 10:48   #140
CBA
Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membrivio View Post
mz... abusing statistics again?
You must be a marketeer or summat, they have the same tendency
CBA is right on this particular issue.

On the alliance size issue in reply to the posts between my previous and current post I wish to merely comment that whatever way we look at it, it is time for someone to bring some ****ing sense into the variation of alliance sizes. If we look at mz's crafted graph we can see that there is no, but then also absolutely no idea behind it.
Hence, my main recommendation is: above all think of an underlying rationale to decide on the alliance size. Do not just implement a (seemingly) random alliance size number every round.
I agree with the fact it seems like a random alliance size number each round heh. From 100 to 90? I dont really see the pros of this. I would like to know the reasoning behind this because as far as I can see, this change will only effect a few alliances and those it affects, will only be stronger because of it.