User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 5 Jan 2009, 04:51   #1
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Planet Names

I was wondering about upcoming round and ofcourse the 'tough' decision of creating a planet name. Now this is at the moment rather trivial, however, back in the days whenever you had incoming hostiles or friendlies, the planet name was shown.

At the moment fleet names are shown which is nice, but not all that funny, since they constantly alter.

My suggestion, and this doesn't need any recoding in the ticker, just in UI, is when loading the coords of a planet who sends a fleet, a message or a scan, that first the planet name is shown.

For instance:

Our security guards have captured and killed 15 enemy agents. We believe the source of origin was Giedi Prime (12:13:4)

For me personally it makes it all a bit more 'personal' instead of just random coords.
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 04:58   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Planet Names

Totally agree.

Fear the Hippiechicken!

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 05:02   #3
mPulse
p3nguins Master Chief

mPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of light

that'd be nice alright

http://www.netgamers.org
irc.netgamers.org

Feel free to drop into #netgamers for a chat!
If you have any P related questions just join #cservice

For Planetarion related questions and general game help, please join #Support

NetGamers - Our support staff are fkn awesome.
mPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 09:06   #4
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

this also want i. install please me for it!
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 10:33   #5
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I assume you mean purely the news items? Rather than the fleets themselves on overview / galaxy status, and so on?
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 10:44   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Considering the fact that many people don't consider the planet and ruler name as seperate entities (Think "one thing" of "another thing"), I don't see how this adds very much at all.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 14:37   #7
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Appoco, the way it used to show up on news.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 15:45   #8
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

As MZ stated in a round about way, having 2 seperate names for anyone person isnt really needed. So we can just keep the ruler name and remove the planet name.

Also could we have a extra layer of info:-
Coords: 1:1:1
Ruler: MrLobster
Race: Terran
Score: 1,000,000
Value: 500,000
Roids: 200

This can be used on anywhere specific coords are clicked on, like the overview when you have incoming. Most times i click on the coords and it takes me to the gal screen and I forget the exact coords and I have to go back to the overview to get the coords.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 15:54   #9
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
I assume you mean purely the news items? Rather than the fleets themselves on overview / galaxy status, and so on?

newsitems, but also if you load galaxy status and you see your own galaxy you see their planetname next to their coords

and on overview ... you see

155343 incoming friendlies in the ALPHA fleet from Tatooine ( 12 : 3 :1)

It's a bit of ui coding but shouldn't slow things down that much.
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 16:30   #10
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
As MZ stated in a round about way, having 2 seperate names for anyone person isnt really needed.
While I agree that it's not needed, there's a lot of nostalgia value attached to "x" of "y" names. I see no particular reason to change that.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 17:39   #11
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I like having both planet and ruler names, if you want the same info for both, just make your ruler and planet names the same.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 18:09   #12
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

I like having Rulername OF Planetname simply because I find there is a certain challenge in making the OF work in the whole like The Winds OF Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion View Post
155343 incoming friendlies in the ALPHA fleet from Tatooine ( 12 : 3 :1)
I would also like to see something constant on the gal status that is perhaps more memorable than the co-ords

ps. having a cluster 12 seems a bit optimistic these days
Unread 5 Jan 2009, 23:03   #13
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

I think everyone wants that. I'll try and track down Apocco and beat him around a bit
Unread 6 Jan 2009, 02:08   #14
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

I think some people put alot of thought into their planet and ruler names so to see them in the incomming report in the news would be nice for them, though obviously they wouldnt see it they would know others do more.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2009, 08:24   #15
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

If this is changed, I'm going to need to update some parsers. Please keep that in mind
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2009, 12:55   #16
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

also if they are *still* using the olde mh tool, designed for r11-15, which i said a few rounds ago should have been replaced/retired by now;
that'll need its parser recoding.
and no, im not doing it.
I think several years of recoding it - free of charge, for all the changes theyve done to internal formats is more than enough.
Tbh the whole thing needed scrapping and replacing with something server-side a while ago, the codebase quality from back then is far sub-par compared to what i can do now. ( unsurprising given that it was made during the first year of me learning the language ). It still works, but the algorithms and code design are ugly.

Last edited by Phil^; 6 Jan 2009 at 13:00.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2009, 17:10   #17
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Phil^: Your point about the planetnames is??

OT: keep both: planet and rulername. I don't agree at all with Theam on this.
You are the ruler. The roids are at the planet

Maybe a pop-up with planet info will do the trick for the issue MrLobster described?
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2009, 17:31   #18
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membrivio View Post
that if they change the current format, everything that parses text from them will need updating.
Also, that I wont be doing one of them.

Last edited by Phil^; 6 Jan 2009 at 17:41.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2009, 18:05   #19
Membrivio

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^ View Post
that if they change the current format, everything that parses text from them will need updating.
Also, that I wont be doing one of them.
Ok, now I understand. So, when such a seemingly small issue is changed, it could have large consequences. This observation strengthens my stance of not changing it.

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Unread 6 Jan 2009, 18:08   #20
Gabriel
Gabba gabba hey hey

Gabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Ok, now I understand. So, when such a seemingly small issue is changed, it could have large consequences. This observation strengthens my stance of not changing it.
Chaos theory in laymens terms, small changes lead to big affects (effects?)
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2009, 18:10   #21
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Quote:

OT: keep both: planet and rulername. I don't agree at all with Theam on this.
You are the ruler. The roids are at the planet

Maybe a pop-up with planet info will do the trick for the issue MrLobster described?

that isn't the topic, honey.
Unread 6 Jan 2009, 18:35   #22
Membrivio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion View Post
that isn't the topic, honey.
Excuse me, sugar.

And with regards to your OP: that could be done.

My reply was mostly aimed at MrLobster. My bad.

Unread 7 Jan 2009, 06:45   #23
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

for the ruler/planet/both on news items
for the overview/gal status showing names

if anything, highlight the proper planet, ruler, planet name, etc whenever you click the coordinates in the galaxy status or overview in order to see that galaxy and planet.

i personally don't feel that the overview and gal status page need to be cluttered by adding in the planet ruler - if for any other reason than that some are very long (ex. TheSoundEffect OF AKneeThrustUppercut that mista used one round iirc.).
Unread 16 Jan 2009, 11:45   #24
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Iamthestealer of AllLeto'sSpice
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote