User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 7 Jul 2008, 21:32   #1
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Post An IRC bot for alliances

Update New version released, see the bottom of the post.

This is an announcement of a new release of Munin, the Ascendancy IRC bot. Munin is used to handle the day-to-day running of Ascendancy, managing intel, recruiting, target booking and more. There's also a defcall handling module, but it's not quite polished enough to be useful yet.

Here's a list of all the non-admin commands available:
Code:
<@Munin> Munin help. For more information use: <~-\.!@>help <command>. 
                  Built-in commands: help
<@Munin> Loaded modules: add, addquote, addslogan, afford, aids, 
                  apenis, au, b, bashee, basher, bcalc, bigdicks, bitches, 
                  book, bumchums, c, cost, ****s, defcalls, details, eff, 
                  epenis, exile, exp, f, galchan, galmate, galpenis, 
                  getanewdaddy, gimp, i, idler, info, intel, invite, jgp, 
                  lookup, maxcap, news, planet, pref, prod, quits, quitter, 
                  quote, range, remchan, remquote, remslogan, res, roidcost, 
                  roidsave, rprod, s, scans, search, ship, slogan
<@Munin> , spam, sponsor, status, stop, surface, surprisesex, talk, 
                  tech, testpenis, unbook, unit, unsponsor, value, victim, 
                  whois, whore, xp
I've been meaning to get around to this for quite a while, but I wanted to remove the Ascendancy specific code smattered around in the various modules. In the end I didn't do it, but qebab stepped up and not only moved the Ascendancy specific stuff into a config file but also improved the code in many other ways.

With qebab's changes, it should be easier for me to release more often.

I'm releasing Munin's sourcecode because I think there's too much duplicate work by techies. Sometimes there is an advantage in having a unique feature, but more often code simply duplicates functionality that has been written a dozen times previously. It's easier to implement unique features if you're building on the work of others.

The full release of Munin is available here.

Munin's source is controlled with git on GitHub and the public repository is available here. I'm more than willing to consider any modifications, so go ahead and fork it.

For techies and HCs that want their alliance to run Munin
Munin's a bit of a hassle to set up properly. It requires Python and PostgreSQL, both of which are not commonly available on shell accounts. I'd recommending running it on a box of your own. The instructions for getting it to work should be fairly complete, but I haven't actually set up Munin from scratch in years, so there's a good chance they're not as good as they could be.

If you want help, I'm available on IRC (on #pawiki for example) to lend a hand or via email (my gmail account is named jesterina).

For people wishing to contribute to Munin
I've got a few things on my wish list for Munin. One is to move it away from using PL/SQL for some of the features, and tied to this is moving it to using a decent ORM (such as sqlalchemy). This should help in addressing the previous point by making Munin less dependent on PostgreSQL. There are some obstacles on this, among them that the layout of the database isn't terribly ORM friendly.

I'd also like to make the defense call modules more usable. I've got a few ideas on what to do here, but haven't gotten around to adding them.

Ascendancy members usually have good suggestions for new features that I never get around to making.

I've also started making statistics on what commands are used most, and at some point I'm going to go through the stats for round 26 and 27 (so far) and deprecate any commands that aren't being used.

Thanks to Idimmu, viCtory and qebab who have contributed to Munin's codebase so far.

Round 28 Update
Munin's been updated to deal with Round 28. In addition to some bugfixes, there are a couple of new features (see below for more.) The new version can be downloaded here. I've also come up with a simple versioning system (<round number>.<minor release>) to keep releases in context. If you're interested in always keeping up with the newest features (or even better, contributing back some new features of your own) you can use git to clone or fork the Munin repository at github.

Changelog
  • Added agents and security guards to planet scans
  • Created new !letmein command to handle invites to home when P is down (Thanks to mz for suggesting this)
  • Fixed bug in !eff when using stats imported using putships.py
  • Added system for storing and sharing phone numbers (non-members can use this too, without giving anyone in Ascendancy access to their numbers) (Thanks to JBG for suggesting this)
  • Munin will now respond to commands given with a private reply prefix in channels with a maxlevel preventing normal reply (ie !intel will fail, but -intel will succeed if a channel doesn't normally have access to the intel command) (Thanks to Raging Retard for suggesting this)
  • Hidden prod from planet scans now shows correctly on !planet command (Thanks to jerome for pointing this one out)
  • Fixed bug in booking allowing booking of members due to casing mistake (Forgot who first pointed this out, but thanks)

Last edited by Banned; 17 Aug 2008 at 17:47.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2008, 06:29   #2
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future
Re: An IRC bot for alliances

nice! I think you took a dump of Munin code onto the Planetarion community last mabye two years ago. Hopefully this will inspire some alliances to start using this stuff.
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2008, 06:32   #3
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road

witchcraft I say!
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2008, 07:47   #4
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Munin is the tool of the devil and anybody that uses it will get herpes just like CBA!

on topic: nice work

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2008, 13:58   #5
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

munin is absolutley awesome
kudos for releasing it

ps is my access still removed , i mean it was only caj after all

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2008, 14:18   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
munin is absolutley awesome
kudos for releasing it

ps is my access still removed , i mean it was only caj after all
Who then left ascendancy a while later. Before rejoining. Leaving us down 3 million score.

Sometimes I wonder...
Unread 11 Jul 2008, 13:06   #7
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

lol

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2008, 18:26   #8
tjonkel

tjonkel can only hope to improve

Good work

Hmm, but is there anyone out there with a "pure" galaxy bot?
For reporting defence, maybe some eff, kill commands etc..
That works with eggdrop..

I have a defence script in TCL but it aint finished yet. Lacking some scripting.. And i dont really know anything about scripting.. Can only do small things
I use a mIRC bot and its working ok!
But i would love to use my eggdrop for something like that.. Since i only using a laptop and travel alot it would be lovely too have the bot standing on another server. So its always up while im away etc.
tjonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2008, 07:57   #9
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjonkel View Post
Good work

Hmm, but is there anyone out there with a "pure" galaxy bot?
For reporting defence, maybe some eff, kill commands etc..
That works with eggdrop..

I have a defence script in TCL but it aint finished yet. Lacking some scripting.. And i dont really know anything about scripting.. Can only do small things
I use a mIRC bot and its working ok!
But i would love to use my eggdrop for something like that.. Since i only using a laptop and travel alot it would be lovely too have the bot standing on another server. So its always up while im away etc.
Munin can work fine as a pure galaxy bot, though I'll admit it's a bit overkill
Unread 22 Jul 2008, 20:39   #10
tjonkel

tjonkel can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Munin can work fine as a pure galaxy bot, though I'll admit it's a bit overkill
It looks awesome

Hehe, i got a box to run it on.. But dont know _anything_ about how to set it up. Looked at the "how to" Scared me :/

But about the defence system. Does it work at all?
tjonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2008, 20:56   #11
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjonkel View Post
Hehe, i got a box to run it on.. But dont know _anything_ about how to set it up. Looked at the "how to" Scared me :/
Yeah, it's a bit heavy on the upfront, but it should be mostly copy/pasting commands etc. The README does assume some technical knowledge though (like how to install postgres, python etc on your chosen unix).

Quote:
But about the defence system. Does it work at all?
Yes, it does. The "problem" really is that it's based on the way EXilition used to do their stuff, but they used a website for some of the work. So the stuff that doesn't use the website isn't as slick as it should be. If we'd gotten started using it we probably would've improved the workflow by now, but it's catch 22 at the moment. If the defcall system were better, we'd use it, but we can't really see the right way to make it better without using it. Suggestions are very welcome!
Unread 17 Aug 2008, 17:47   #12
Banned
Banned

Bump for round 28 release.
Unread 28 Sep 2008, 14:01   #13
eltsin
zawze^asc

eltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really nice

I'm a bit curious of how many that're running a version of Munin currently.

I know two instances, namely Munin itself and the one I'm running. Are there any others? Feel free to pop into #munin and say hi
Unread 7 Oct 2008, 12:16   #14
AndroX
xXx

AndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to all

Eventhough I agree that Munin is one of the better bots around, its has one flaw.

Its not exactly a public bot, as it stores information for an alliance.
However, I do believe that when on the moment Munin is actualy a standalone public tool and not storing data and intel for an alliance, alot more people will 'trust' it after some time and alot more will actualy start to use it.

All in all - a nice bot. But not very trustworthy when it comes to hiding intel.
Unread 7 Oct 2008, 12:28   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroX View Post
Eventhough I agree that Munin is one of the better bots around, its has one flaw.

I'm pretty sure that's because it is an alliance bot. Most functionality (such as in galchans) is solely there for the benefit of the alliance members and (to a certain extent) their galmates. The only significant exception is the storage of scans, and I'm not even sure if people outside of Ascendancy can use that. We tried the public intel thing a few rounds ago, but it didn't work out as well as we would've liked, due to idiots inserting bad data (both intentionally and unintentionally).

That said, there's nothing stopping people from setting up a public Munin.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2008, 12:34   #16
AndroX
xXx

AndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to all

thats exactly what I was saying, so yes you are right

And there will be a new public bot - one that can even send u an SMS (if you enabled it) when you have incomings. So don't worry, there will be another bot besides Munin
Unread 7 Oct 2008, 12:36   #17
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

Banned. drop by #scans as we (not me but other slaves ) are working on something similar
find me or Ali
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2008, 09:21   #18
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

I am not going to disagree on that point. After all, as mz already pointed out, Munin was developed originally for the sole purposes of making life in Ascendancy as easy as possible (yeah, we are all lazy bums there!).

However, it is open-source. Nothing prevents you from downloading it and modifying it so that it suits your own needs. Additionally we have set up #munin and a github repository where you can go and request features / implement features yourself.

On the other, it is always nice to see some more pa-related stuff around.
Unread 8 Oct 2008, 12:40   #19
Banned
Banned

Quote:

However, I do believe that when on the moment Munin is actualy a standalone public tool and not storing data and intel for an alliance, alot more people will 'trust' it after some time and alot more will actualy start to use it. Seriously, the subject of this thread is An IRC bot for alliances.

All in all - a nice bot. But not very trustworthy when it comes to hiding intel.
I don't get what you mean. It's meant to be an alliance bot. If you want to use it for your alliance, you need to run an instance of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
Banned. drop by #scans as we (not me but other slaves ) are working on something similar
find me or Ali
How about you come find me?

Last edited by Banned; 8 Oct 2008 at 12:43. Reason: aoeu