User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 9 Mar 2008, 23:28   #1
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Fake nicking: good or bad?

I'm of the opinion that fake nicking is a bad thing.

Galaxies where people fake nick have a lower level of in-galaxy trust, and channels populated by fake nicks tend to be dead and boring. New players struggle to get involved in the community because of it and it's just generally shit IMO. My evidence for this is my observation of galaxies I've been in and the experience of my housemate who signed up this round and didn't enjoy the main round much, partly because of being thrown in a dead fake-nicking chan.

To try and do something about this I approached a bunch of alliances about agreeing to stop fake nicking and fake channels for a round.

On the whole, the response has been positive, but two of the smallest alliances who I'd have supposed best represented the new players who struggle with fake gal chans believe there is no problem and that no effort needs to be taken.

Are they right?
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 01:38   #2
ElAlan
Muppet

ElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Fake nicking: good or bad?

I am also of the belief that fake nicking is problematic particularly for new players joining a galaxy channel. Main reason being that i completely agree that it makes for dead inactive galaxy channels as at start of r24 i fake nicked due to my alliance at the time (CT) telling me i HAD to fake nick, this ofc meant i had a second irc client open but with having a bp chan in my main irc i would forget to check the other one for long periods at a time and ofc none of our bp really spoke in there, as soon as we stopped faking (after about 10 days i reckon) suddenly the channel got much better and i got to know people well..

As for this round ofc having to fake nick was not thrust upon me and it was a lot better, even if at first barely any of our randoms actually got on irc....

Retired.
ElAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 01:39   #3
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

It's bad.

I used to fake nick a lot back in the days. At first it started because it was required by the alliance, then it went over to that I found it amusing. I somehow ended up in gal with Xy one round and had my fun having him talk shit about me and then revealing myself at the end of the round.

But yeh, it's bad. It ruins any level of trust in the galaxies and it's not like fake nicking is of any use anymore either. It's harder nowadays to remain hidden for long, so it's not really worth the hassle unless you're a really hated person.
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 01:56   #4
Kenny

Fake nicking became part of the game, so everybody did it. It's a hassle, it's ultimately pointless and again, a hassle.
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 02:20   #5
mPulse
p3nguins Master Chief

mPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of light

heh Gate,
Contacting an alliance with a fake-nick about not fake-nicking is a little bit of a double standard wouldn't you agree
mPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 10:48   #6
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPulse
heh Gate,
Contacting an alliance with a fake-nick about not fake-nicking is a little bit of a double standard wouldn't you agree
Story, for comedic value:

I no longer have the pnick gate after it was deleted. When I log into IRC, my client sets my nick to my new pnick, Dirge, for authing with ND's bot. I then change back to [ND]Gate.

Unfortunately, I wasn't paying much attention so pm'd mPulse with the nick Dirge, about stamping out fake nicking, then had to change back to Gate when I realised.

That was embarrassing.
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 10:52   #7
mPulse
p3nguins Master Chief

mPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of light

ah so that's what happened.....

now it all makes sense, and here's me getting my paranoia hat ready and all
mPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 11:01   #8
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Fakenicking is lame and it shouldnt be necessary at all.
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 11:03   #9
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPulse
ah so that's what happened.....

now it all makes sense, and here's me getting my paranoia hat ready and all
I won't be fake nicking next round. Which is the relevant thing, really.
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 11:51   #10
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Fake nicking became part of the game, so everybody did it. It's a hassle, it's ultimately pointless and again, a hassle.

It was part of the game with 5k++++++ players.

Now its pointless as it takes about 10-12 days max to track down all alliances (including nicks).
It was more "fun" with more players

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 12:06   #11
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've fakenicked one round in my entire pa history.
I generally find fake-nicking boring and it leads to less active galchannels.
It's also pointless since 150-200 ticks into the game 99% of all players alliances are known anyway so why bother?

Last round I made 0 effort to fakenick (people that were in my gal can vouch for that) and this is the way i'll continue to play.
Even considering exiling myself from all galaxies that don't reveal their real nicks.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 12:20   #12
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

I've never fake nicked a round before, theres no point for it. Period.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 12:23   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's a point (10-12 days worth, according to Lock), but in my opinion the benefit for the individual player or alliance is vastly outweighed by the detrimental effect it has on PA as a whole.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 12:44   #14
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

whats a Nick but a fake name anyway?
The hiding of Ur identity if U have a reputation (particularly a bad one) might matter, but Y should I fakenick, as somone irrelevant to most ppls calculations, even if my alliance wants me too? If I did then revealed myself to great fanfare I think most ppl would think 'who? what an idiot!' and unless it happened to be Syn_Sid I would think the same of most others who did it!

Last edited by [B5]Londo; 10 Mar 2008 at 12:49.
[B5]Londo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 12:59   #15
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

I quite agree, although some people probably know of me and know what alliance I am in I personally doubt not fake-nicking would give me any more incs, alliances don't ptarget that early anyway so it seems to make little difference apart from pissing your galmates off.

the people in my gal who fakenicked obviously expected the rest of the gal to have some idea of who they were when they reveled themselves as Lesh and Epcylon... the rest of us as relatively new players had no idea and Lesh in particular seemed rather disappointed

Although I would go with a fake nick if I was ordered to by my alliance I would not like it, openness within the galaxy is the best way to create trust and ensure that the galaxy operates as a cohesive unit as it should. Creating suspicions is a sure way to get people exiling out of the galaxy imo.

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 13:13   #16
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

would actually fakenick as well if alliance ordered it, then again i have to say i dont like it.. done it 1-2 times if i remember correctly and hope that i dont have to do it again
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 13:17   #17
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neroon
would actually fakenick as well if alliance ordered it
Why?

(That was a serious question)
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 13:20   #18
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I will freely admit that F-Crew is one of the 2 alliances that Gate is talking about.

Now some of Gate's points can be true, especially for alliances like his. The most obvious one being that a fake nick can lead to less activity in the galaxy channel for some people as keeping an eye on 2 clients seems to cause some people real trouble. He might also be somewhat right that at the top level fake nicking and fake channels dont hide the intel very well at all, although I don't personally believe thats true all the way down (and you guys and your constant "your member at xx:yy:zz is doing this and that" messages which so often prove to not be our members backs me up on this)

However no matter how many of his points might be right the key argument of his is deeply flawed. He holds fake nicking soley responsible for the lack of trust in galaxies which to put it bluntly is bullshit. Fake Nicking is not the cause of lack of trust, its the effect of lack of trust. People fake nick and use fake relay channels because there is not enough loyalty and trust in a galaxy for your galaxy mates to not hand over all your details to their alliance. Yet people seem to think that this handing over of intel isn't a problem for trust in a galaxy and infact is completely acceptable

To quote gate

Quote:
[22:10] <[ND]Gate> none fake relays and non fake nicks removes the trust barriers in galaxies
[22:11] <wakey> No the fact alliances activly encourage their members to hand over their details EVEN when the galaxy has agreed to not hand it over and to drop their fake nicks is what removes trust
[22:11] <wakey> Your alliance being one of the worst on that front
[22:11] <[ND]Gate> I don't see anything wrong with that tbh.
[22:12] <[ND]Gate> alliance is more important than gal because its the team you play with round after rond
and

Quote:
[22:14] <[ND]Gate> What is wrong with handing over intel?
This is where your lack of trust issue mainly arises from yet the aspect being picked on is the tactic used to reduce the effect this lack of trust and loyalty.

Also I don't fully buy the fact that people using fake nicks really on the wider scale reduces trust. If your an average player and no-ones fake nicking and you land in a galaxy consisting of the following people,

Gate
Elviz
JBG
Kargool
and Myself

How much do you think those names mean to the average person, despite them all being people who would be fairly well known as they are highly visible people. I bet they mean very little for most. And if they do know anything about them most of it will have come from 3rd parties.

They might for example know that Elviz is a cheat who would sell his grandmother to win, JBG is the devils son as hes in asc and if they are in certain alliances (especially one starting with O and ending in a t) that I eat babies and make hitler look kind. Does this second hand knowledge increase trust, i think it may very well make people a little standoffish to you atleast initially.

Where as if you land in a galaxy with the above people but who were using the names

Gary
Elton
Jacob
Keith
William

your average player still has little direct knowledge of the people as they are hidden so they have to put the trust in them just like before but also doesn't have any any of the 3rd party negative information so any distrust that info might bring inst in play
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 13:36   #19
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Wakey, you need to realise that the "average" player these days pretty much knows who's who in planetarion and knows quite alot of real nicks.
Anybody who's played more than 2 rounds and/or ever visited the forums will know who Gate, JBG, Elviz, Kargool and you are.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 13:48   #20
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
Wakey, you need to realise that the "average" player these days pretty much knows who's who in planetarion and knows quite alot of real nicks.
Anybody who's played more than 2 rounds and/or ever visited the forums will know who Gate, JBG, Elviz, Kargool and you are.
I don't agree with you. Even I don't know who most people are and I've been around longer than pretty much everyone. Do I know who the majority of people in orbit are? Do i know who the majority of ND are? Do I know who the majority of CT are? ect ect The answer is no. Even those that I know only a fraction of them I know from anything more than their reputation and stories from 3rd parties. I see no reason why I would be less inclined to trust someone using a fake nick than someone who I really dont know or know only 2nd hand
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 13:57   #21
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice

BAD!

Fake nicking is for the loss.

Fake nicking is bad for new players.

Fake nicking encourages deceit and deception.

Fake nicking is bad. Ban it. Ban it now.
Round 20 - Rank 7 - Destiny (Zik)
Round 24 - Rank 2 - Conspiracy (Xan)
Round 28 - Rank 4 - Ascendancy (Xan)
Round 66 - Rank 9 - Ultores (Etd)
Round 83 - Rank 10 - #METOO (Zik)
Round 85 - Rank 3 - QQ (Etd)
Round 89 - Rank 2 - VGN (Zik)
Round 91 - Rank 9 - VGN (Zik)
Caj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 14:02   #22
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caj
Fake nicking is bad for new players.
HOW!

Quote:
Fake nicking encourages deceit and deception.
No fake nicking is the RESULT of deceit and deception
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 14:08   #23
Juice
The liquid crusader

Juice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
I don't agree with you. Even I don't know who most people are and I've been around longer than pretty much everyone. Do I know who the majority of people in orbit are? Do i know who the majority of ND are? Do I know who the majority of CT are? ect ect The answer is no. Even those that I know only a fraction of them I know from anything more than their reputation and stories from 3rd parties. I see no reason why I would be less inclined to trust someone using a fake nick than someone who I really dont know or know only 2nd hand
To be honest Wakey does not even know who most of the F-Crew members are

On the subject of fake nicking, i've tried it once. It lasted about one hour as I was rather drunk and forgot I was fake nicking (never tried it again). And to be honest who really cares about me fake nicking.
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 14:13   #24
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice

@Wakey

Ban fake nicking = weaken deceit and deception ;D

New players? Yeh it might not be very bad for them but it's definately not good for them, a new player comes on see's a big name in the galaxy who they've recognised in forums or whatever it'll get 'em closer into the community quicker. Also, when running fake nicks, people have to use 2 clients thus will probably pay more attention to alliance/buddy pack channels than their fake nick galaxy channel, thus the new players don't see anyone chatting or conversing and having fun as m8s as much as they would if they were in a gal chan from the start with the likes of lukeylove caj rasputin isildur and arc ! WHAT FUN! but with us all fake nicking would be shit. Ban fake nicking you will also increase galaxy happyness which is all good, and will keep the new player playing...

(sorry for long sentences bit stoned)
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 14:17   #25
ElAlan
Muppet

ElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of light

My point was which i think wakey missed was that fake nicking is bad for new players not because they wont recognise anyone (as they shouldnt anyway) but as most fake nicking people will use a second irc client they dont check or talk on much due to having their "real" irc client open which they will mainly talk on. People who may need to fake nick will also most likely be in a bp and pretty much for sure will have a bp channel set up in their "real" irc, making needing to check the fake one even less needed.

This basically leads to the main players in the galaxy not talking much in the galaxy channel and new players not getting much help or leaving out of pure boredom, as for the rest of the intel stuff fake nick or not you will be found quickly if anyone actually wants to....

Retired.
ElAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 14:19   #26
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly 5:4 would not have won if we had fakenicked!

Theres also the element of a new nick suddenly popping up in galchannel, only for it to be the real nick of a guy the 'newbie' had already gotten to know. It doesnt exactly feel like the new guy is trusted when their mate cant even talk to them with their real nick.
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 14:24   #27
Caj
speed demon

yeh i agree with ElAlan and Isil
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 14:34   #28
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
I've never fake nicked a round before, theres no point for it. Period.
There is, unfortunatley. As long as gals aint totally private that is.

When I played, and Insomnia was fighting top allies, I had to fakenick. It was always the same, when I was hidden, my gal did very well. Once I got busted(as I do preferr to use my real nick), my gal and me was waved in an attempt to soak Insomnia for defence. I just let them take my roids, but it ended my gals chances to end high as a unity and as individuals.

Its a known fact that when HC and officers are found, they get hit alot for both intel purposes and for soaking defence. Its a valid tactic, by all means, but it also makes fakenicking important. Especially since theres been episodes of officers and HCs actually using their entire alliance def on themselves

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 14:39   #29
isildurx

I honestly believe that doesnt happen as much these days. It was a valid tactic a few rounds ago, but these days theres usually roids and pnaps that decide how much inc one gets and not nick.

edit: unless your a major twat or a known cheater\defleecher
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 14:49   #30
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAlan
My point was which i think wakey missed was that fake nicking is bad for new players not because they wont recognise anyone (as they shouldnt anyway) but as most fake nicking people will use a second irc client they dont check or talk on much due to having their "real" irc client open which they will mainly talk on. People who may need to fake nick will also most likely be in a bp and pretty much for sure will have a bp channel set up in their "real" irc, making needing to check the fake one even less needed.

This basically leads to the main players in the galaxy not talking much in the galaxy channel and new players not getting much help or leaving out of pure boredom, as for the rest of the intel stuff fake nick or not you will be found quickly if anyone actually wants to....
How is checking a second client any harder than checking another window in your IRC client. If you aren't bothered about your galaxy enough to check a second client surely you aren't bothered enough to check another channel in the main client. It really isnt much different having 2 windows open over having 2 clients open after all. In both cases you have you galaxy channel, your BP channel, your alliance channels and the only difference is its in 2 clients rather than 1
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 15:08   #31
Kenny

Quote:
How is checking a second client any harder than checking another window in your IRC client. If you aren't bothered about your galaxy enough to check a second client surely you aren't bothered enough to check another channel in the main client. It really isnt much different having 2 windows open over having 2 clients open after all. In both cases you have you galaxy channel, your BP channel, your alliance channels and the only difference is its in 2 clients rather than 1
Sometimes I forgot which client I was talking in. This gave the game away a little.

But counter to your earlier point of "unknowns wont benefit from the top players not fake nicking as they wont know them" - I haff this to say:

First of all in the example you gave, I'd hope that any F-Crew members at least knew who YOU were.

Then what do you do when you're in gal with somebody you don't know? You ask people. Now I'm fairly sure if JoeBloggs85 from F-Crew came into a galaxy with you, Gate, elviz, JBG and Kargool (I would LOVE to see that BP btw) - he'd go back to his alliance and say "hey, who're these guys?" and there is bound to be somebody hanging around that's heard of at least 1 of those people. It's called 'communication'.

And tbh, if somebody is going to judge somebody based solely on their reputation/1 person's opinion, then they're not exactly the most open-minded people to start with. Furthermore, should you really care what people think of you on the internet? :|
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 15:17   #32
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Fake nicking is not good or bad. It's stupid.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 16:30   #33
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Fake nicking is not good or bad. It's stupid.
If you can be bothered, adding a few reasons would be great. I'm assuming some of them are the same we've covered though.
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 19:07   #34
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caj
Fake nicking is bad for new players
Quote:
HOW!
Because there's less activity in their galaxy channels and less chance of players taking them under their wing, since those players are still trying to protect themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx
I honestly believe that doesnt happen as much these days. It was a valid tactic a few rounds ago, but these days theres usually roids and pnaps that decide how much inc one gets and not nick.

edit: unless your a major twat or a known cheater\defleecher
Agreed. If you know that your alliance is going to be hit from tick 72 then you should probably do whatever you can to maintain the intel advantage, but the 1up/eXilition wars are long gone.
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 19:32   #35
Ceadrath

Ceadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to all

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of fake nicking even if I do recognise that it can to some extent have advantages.

What i don't get is the argument that fake nicking necessarily equals an inactive or unwelcome gal channel, which seems to be a significant argument in this thread. From my own experience of fake nicking in the past and of having randoms fake nick in gal with me is that it makes absolutely no difference on how the gal interacts. Anecdotal evidence aside their is no reason why a gal channel filled with fake nicks will be any different to a channel with real nicks.

Players who for whatever reason feel the need to have a seperate gal channel because they dont trust the gal when organising def or w/e will have one regardless if they fake nick or not. If their not going to cooperate fully with the gal and have a seperate bp gal channel then it makes absolutely no difference whether they sit in the public gal chan with their real nicks or their fake nicks.

If the arguement is that players create 'dead' gal chans by having their bp in a seperate chan where they talk then surly its a case of dont have a seperate gal chan more than dont use fake nicks.

-Cead

Last edited by Ceadrath; 10 Mar 2008 at 19:37.
Ceadrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 20:08   #36
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

its not surprising people fake nick when allys are so keen on mapping the entire universe
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 20:09   #37
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadrath
I have to say I'm not a huge fan of fake nicking even if I do recognise that it can to some extent have advantages.

What i don't get is the argument that fake nicking necessarily equals an inactive or unwelcome gal channel, which seems to be a significant argument in this thread. From my own experience of fake nicking in the past and of having randoms fake nick in gal with me is that it makes absolutely no difference on how the gal interacts. Anecdotal evidence aside their is no reason why a gal channel filled with fake nicks will be any different to a channel with real nicks.

Players who for whatever reason feel the need to have a seperate gal channel because they dont trust the gal when organising def or w/e will have one regardless if they fake nick or not. If their not going to cooperate fully with the gal and have a seperate bp gal channel then it makes absolutely no difference whether they sit in the public gal chan with their real nicks or their fake nicks.

If the arguement is that players create 'dead' gal chans by having their bp in a seperate chan where they talk then surly its a case of dont have a seperate gal chan more than dont use fake nicks.
I think the point is people running 2 mircs only look at 1 of them at a time normally their real nick and neglect to talk very often on the other if its only in 1 channel
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 21:12   #38
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
I think the point is people running 2 mircs only look at 1 of them at a time normally their real nick and neglect to talk very often on the other if its only in 1 channel
Its only one channel when your running just a single client though. Not paying enough attention to your galaxy channel is a simple factor of being either too lazy, disinterested or busy not because people don't want to check a second client.

And anyone using mirc on netgamers doesn't even need to second client to fake nick. So that makes the argument that fake nicking results in inactive galaxies even more mute.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 22:17   #39
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

I have changed from the position of liking fake nicking to hating it. Last round our bp forced the rest to drop their fake nicks, or they would be exiled. There is no trust hiding behind nicks that are not real. If the aim is a strong galaxy, then fake nicks are ultimately a hindrance. By making people drop their fakes and getting all the alliances out into the open, we all knew where we stood. We finished 5th. Its not fantastically great, and we didn't hold roids well. But without such a measure, we would not have woken each other up to defend as the bond wouldn't have been there.

Having said that, next round Ill be more alliance orientiated, so rather than fake nick, I might not turn up in the galaxy channel for the first few weeks or so to protect my coords.

It really depends on how you play, but I just feel fake nicking is damaging to the community, because the faker is holding back, thus galaxies dont become as close as they should do.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 22:25   #40
Vladel
Retired

Vladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really nice

I've never fake nicked

Rnd 26-32 Jenova Denial (BC) Newdawn (HC)

Rnd 33 Retired
Vladel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 22:35   #41
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

In my opinion there have been arguments laid down pro and con fake nicking and they can all be sound in their own. I think that to what it comes down is personal preference. For example, I really cba arsed fake nicking.
If I speak for Orbit: we take the stance that fakenicking is wasting time. But, we as HC will not tell off members for doing it. We will discourage it, because we think that it is a bit useless in the current universe.
Again taking myself as an example, I have to my recollection (which can be faulty at some times :P ) not played a round using a fake nick and my experience is that you will get the galaxy sooner in the just rhythm if you have the regular or real nicks (I really dislike the sentence "yeah, I use a fakenick, I will reveal myself later")

Concerning trust: Trust is a dynamic concept which is created by the expectations you have and the events that occur during a round. If I read your posts, Wakey, I see a quite negative perspective unfolding: you expect that people will shout out your nick right away. People need first to stroll through an initial level of distrust before they can gain a level of trust with you. I have to agree that in your specific circumstances (you even have a multiple waves event every round organised for you)it might be useful to fakenick. (Note: This is my perception of your posts and not a personal attack on you)
I might have a more positive stance in this. Initially I trust people in the fact that they will do what is best for developing into a great working galaxy. If they prove different, they lose this initial trust, of course. At the one hand I see the real nick as a first event through which trust can be developed, at the other hand I see the fakenick turning into a real nick at a certain moment as an event that can erode the trust that has been built up during (a certain period of) the round. In short, I think it is not about the nick which is known or not, but about the events it can represent and instigate. If you add to that the shorter rounds which mean a shorter period to develop a trust relationship between players, then fakenicking becomes an even more problematic feature, in my opinion.

And with that I for myself conclude that fake nicking is not a good thing, especially not in these shorter rounds in which building up a foundation for trust needs to be established also in a shorther period of time. As my grandfather said: "trust comes by foot, but leaves per horse" (and yes that is a rough translation from Dutch haha)

A last remark @ Wakey
I actually wanted to react to your multiple slightly negative use of Orbit in your examples, but I will restrain myself from that. You may have the idea that we talk daily about you, but really, we are not. Trust me
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2008, 01:03   #42
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membrivio
The thing is as far as fake nicking goes I can take it or leave it personally. My use of fake nicking extends normally as far as between 2-5 days when joining a new galaxy while I decide if the galaxies worth staying in (Resonable activity and not full of people who's personality means I'fm going to want to kill them within a few days )

As such its not the idea of getting rid of the fake nicks that I'm against but rather the fact that the idea removes peoples choice and does so on the false belief that fake nicking is the core cause of distrust rather than the result of distrust. If people don't want to be judged on who they are or what alliance they belong to or dont want to draw incoming because of who they are or what alliance they belong to, then its their choice and their choice alone.

Galaxy members shouldn't need to know every single thing about each other either, all they need is that common goal that being in a galaxy together should bring and should be committed to helping each other out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membrivio
I
A last remark @ Wakey
I actually wanted to react to your multiple slightly negative use of Orbit in your examples, but I will restrain myself from that. You may have the idea that we talk daily about you, but really, we are not. Trust me
There was one slightly negative use of Orbit, not multiple

And sadly you are mistaken. After my initial galaxy disbanded last round I ended up in a new galaxy containing a member of yours. He was a new player that round so knew nothing about the community. For the first few days I fake nicked simply to check the galaxy out, I wasnt going to reveal myself without being sure I was going to stay. After a few days of talking to them seeing what the activity was like I decided I would be staying so revealed my real nick.

Your member revealed his shock that it was me. He stated that the comments made about me regularly in Orbit, especially by the HC and other commanders painted me in a very bad light and that in reality I was a "good guy"

And its not the first time Ive had an orbit gal mate tell me I'm nothing like the person I get painted as by those in Orbit. Its things like this which understandably add to peoples desire to fake nick as people want clean slates and not have to fight what may be unfair reputations that other paint them with
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 11 Mar 2008, 01:08   #43
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Your member revealed his shock that it was me. He stated that the comments made about me regularly in Orbit, especially by the HC and other commanders painted me in a very bad light and that in reality I was a "good guy"

And its not the first time Ive had an orbit gal mate tell me I'm nothing like the person I get painted as by those in Orbit. Its things like this which understandably add to peoples desire to fake nick as people want clean slates and not have to fight what may be unfair reputations that other paint them with
Person not exactly as described, news at eleven.
Unread 11 Mar 2008, 08:38   #44
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
If you can be bothered, adding a few reasons would be great. I'm assuming some of them are the same we've covered though.
There's no benefit anymore, therefore you're wasting your energy. Most people who fakenick suck at it and don't even set their P info to invisible, so it's blatantly obvious. In addition, most people have been around for ages, so have made some sort of name for themselves. They immediately write off any advantage they could gain from that.

Anyone who is scared that their nick will somehow attract more incoming is vastly overestimating their own importance. Elviz is a woeful fakenicker, generally draws incoming on his nick and has still won 3 rounds.

Most people have BPs with multiple alliances in them, so lose their nicks to other alliances before the shuffle.

In other words, anyone who think they're getting an advantage out of fakenicking is stupid.
Unread 11 Mar 2008, 11:16   #45
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
This shows what I said in the first sentence of the earlier post. There are arguments pro and con. And both sides contain valid reasoning.
Moreover, I was not trying to remove choice, I just pointed out what it can represent and the context that should be taken into account. For myself it follows that fake nicking is not very useful at this very point.

Quote:
I will not get into a battle with you here about whether this is a viable statement or not. If you believe this is true, be my guest. (And Furball is around so I better do not get into another shenanigan )
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2008, 13:43   #46
cha^
King of EMO

cha^ is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if it's good or bad, but at least after few ticks useless, since all the biggest enemies know who you are anyway..
Unread 11 Mar 2008, 17:56   #47
[FC]Imperial

[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light

I am not against fake nicking but i havent used it myself for many rounds. I think everyone here has valid points on the topic, good and bad, so i dont see it as something that will ever be banned.

In my own experiences of fake nicking, i don't see it making the galaxy channel inactive, for me i talked just as much in galaxy as i did in alliance channels, its down to the individual, if they are unable to use an extra irc client and check this single channel regulary or not. if you find you are a person that is forgetful of this extra irc client, and therefore neglects the galaxy channel, then fake nicking is not for you, and if you continue to fake nick then its you that is making it hard for new players to enjoy the community cos they have no one to talk to ingal cos you're so forgetful lol.

And i stand with wakey when he says faking nicking is the result from the lack of trust and deciet that is already in the game, fake nicking is a symptom, try curing the disease and then perhaps the symptom will go away.

Also don't force your opinion about someone on other people.. let that person find out for himself how much a twat x player is.. if you want to make the community a better place for new and old players then you have to aim for a better goal than removing fake nicking, as the end result is only a round of pa when 99% of intel is out within first 2 days instead of 2 weeks (and this helps the new player how? or does it just help the alliances that want to win and continue winning?)
Unread 12 Mar 2008, 03:09   #48
Reese
If not never; then once.

Reese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud of

recently.. r24 i fake nicked, r25 i didn't.. there was little difference other then the amusement factor (higher when faking!).. ppl will map your alliance to your coords no matter what. It's how much do you care about them having a nick to go with it? And like its been stated earlier very few ppl actually matter enough to bother hiding, and those that do generally don't have to worry anyway..

Both times my gal chan was equally as active, so thats really not an issue.. With mirc you can set the channels to beep or flash, or any number of things, so not checking them due to laziness is also not an issue since mirc can basically check for you, just set it up right if you go that route.

Unread 12 Mar 2008, 07:00   #49
Turtle

Turtle has a spectacular aura aboutTurtle has a spectacular aura aboutTurtle has a spectacular aura about

Fake nicking is useful for one thing, hiding your nick. With the small size of the universe now its pretty much guaranteed that your alliance is going to be known if you actively attack and defend with your alliance.

Its still useful for hiding your nick however if you're concerned that you will be targeted for who you are. People hold grudges, and there are people with powerful positions in various alliances who have no qualms against using their power to carry out personal vendettas. This is particularly true for BGs, and there are certain individuals whom I would highly recommend fake nicking if I was BPing with them, whereas I personally wouldn't bother.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2008, 13:03   #50
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle
Fake nicking is useful for one thing, hiding your nick. With the small size of the universe now its pretty much guaranteed that your alliance is going to be known if you actively attack and defend with your alliance.

Its still useful for hiding your nick however if you're concerned that you will be targeted for who you are. People hold grudges, and there are people with powerful positions in various alliances who have no qualms against using their power to carry out personal vendettas. This is particularly true for BGs, and there are certain individuals whom I would highly recommend fake nicking if I was BPing with them, whereas I personally wouldn't bother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Anyone who is scared that their nick will somehow attract more incoming is vastly overestimating their own importance. Elviz is a woeful fakenicker, generally draws incoming on his nick and has still won 3 rounds.

Most people have BPs with multiple alliances in them, so lose their nicks to other alliances before the shuffle.

In other words, anyone who think they're getting an advantage out of fakenicking is stupid.