User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 24 May 2009, 15:54   #1
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Relay scripts and more such nonsense

Split from this thread. ~mz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt View Post
hehe, last round when omen knew it had a channel-relay, wish had me code a simple ircbot to look for spies (storing idle times every 5mins of #shiver). Took me from like 11pm -> 4am to code, and showed absolutely nothing. Indeed, I think it found out some people with anti-idle scripts, who weren't spying, but were then under high suspicion - and certainly didn't find the real spy.
Totally useless. Notices don't reset idle times.

on *:TEXT:*:#shiver:{ notice #omen.tv $1- }
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 26 May 2009 at 21:40.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 16:44   #2
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of
Re: xVx naps Ascendancy

Aye, it was completely pointless. Hmm I might code an ~untraceable irc relay bot and make it opensource for whoever wants it. Remove the unfairness if you happen to know expl8t or others

But would people be willing to join, say, #asc.tv on irc.freenode.net to watch a relay hmm.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 18:13   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I already have one, it's the one we've been using since r23. It's not very elegant, it uses file IO to avoid flooding, but here it is: http://pastebin.ca/1433143
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 24 May 2009, 18:35   #4
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

Two problems with something like that though - the nick you have in the alliance channel = the nick doing the relay (I assume, I'm not used to mirc scripting so cba going through it), so anyone in the relay chan can give you away; ircops can check irc logs to give you away.

Thanks though, might read through it and learn some mirc-ing.
Unread 24 May 2009, 18:37   #5
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Two problems with something like that though - the nick you have in the alliance channel = the nick doing the relay (I assume, I'm not used to mirc scripting so cba going through it), so anyone in the relay chan can give you away; ircops can check irc logs to give you away.

i saw 'cba' in your post, thought you were talking about me, but evidently, you were not

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 19:16   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

You can use a blind relay, relay it into one channel with someone else there and relay it out through an entirely different person.
Unread 24 May 2009, 19:31   #7
Considence

Considence has a spectacular aura aboutConsidence has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Out of interest, what would your reaction have been? If #ascendancy was being relayed
#asc has been relayed this entire round to one of our rivals. You can tell how much we care by the amount of mentioning it gets
Considence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 23:17   #8
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

SteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
You can use a blind relay, relay it into one channel with someone else there and relay it out through an entirely different person.
Quite frankly its better to use DDE and just have 2 mircs with different DDE names, then it's nothing that can connect it to the one doing the relay anyway.

Proud to be Newdawn
SteInMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 23:52   #9
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteInMetz View Post
Quite frankly its better to use DDE and just have 2 mircs with different DDE names, then it's nothing that can connect it to the one doing the relay anyway.
I have zero idea what DDE is but okay.
Unread 25 May 2009, 00:39   #10
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaSARW00rrE

There you go JBG!

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 15:59   #11
newt
Banned

Quote:
irc-ops/cservice/feds/people than own the server - can still find out who is relaying by this though! (by ips and/or tracking the trail back to the original relayer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteInMetz
DDE suffers the same problem, although if your 2nd mirc is connected by a proxy (so not the same IP) - then you're in the clear! Only possible problem then is if you don't strip the logs properly.... or if hc randomly kick people to find out when the relay stops (or you disconnect, etc).

I'm thinking about making a website which parses logs sent to it, and uses a bot to spam them back to irc. The advantage here is that it can easily be coded so that many ppl can have the mirc-script turned on, the site will only accept each line once -> relayed back to irc just once, and hcs will struggle to find people by randomly kicking.

Problem is this is very easy to set up for jsut one relay, but hassle to set up user accounts for multiple usage (though not necessarily needed :/). Also, if say I ran the website, I'd have your IP and could cooperate with irc-ops to find the spy. So still not fullproof.

I think I'll do it though, bit of fun and learning a few new things
Unread 25 May 2009, 16:43   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
I'm thinking about making a website which parses logs sent to it, and uses a bot to spam them back to irc. The advantage here is that it can easily be coded so that many ppl can have the mirc-script turned on, the site will only accept each line once -> relayed back to irc just once, and hcs will struggle to find people by randomly kicking.

Problem is this is very easy to set up for jsut one relay, but hassle to set up user accounts for multiple usage (though not necessarily needed :/). Also, if say I ran the website, I'd have your IP and could cooperate with irc-ops to find the spy. So still not fullproof.

I think I'll do it though, bit of fun and learning a few new things
Yeah, we've used something similar to this. If you have 2 relayers in the same alliance, let them both spam a private channel but only relay the lines of one of them to a blind relay. You're only in trouble if both of them get kicked. It's a rare luxury though.

http://pastebin.ca/1434015

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 25 May 2009 at 16:49.
Unread 25 May 2009, 17:27   #13
Shhhhhhh

Shhhhhhh is a name known to allShhhhhhh is a name known to allShhhhhhh is a name known to allShhhhhhh is a name known to allShhhhhhh is a name known to allShhhhhhh is a name known to all

I'm sure this is a stupid newbie question, but here goes anyway :P
Why would irc-ops help to find some spy in an alliance in some game?
Shhhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 17:30   #14
Mzyxptlk
mz.

They shouldn't, but clearly if you're doing something super-secret you shouldn't depend on someone else's willingness not to interfere.
Unread 25 May 2009, 17:42   #15
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

In some godawful round of ******** (fill in the blanks) we had a relay from all of Hydra's channels via a channel on a completely different server. Kenny relayed stuff to there, and I relayed it onwards. It was reasonably untraceable, given that it didn't require any one person to even be on the source and target networks.
Unread 25 May 2009, 18:05   #16
Demort
Anarchy Shadow

Demort is just really niceDemort is just really niceDemort is just really niceDemort is just really niceDemort is just really nice

ircops are dedicated professionals but some play in some pa alliances but to my knowledge theres no dodgy shit going on

EX

Legion, Fury, Xanadu, Wolfpack, NoS, TSU, LKSAB, Vgn, F-Crew, CT, Insomnia, Angels, VsN, Gross, Osiris, ROCK, XvX, Faceless, Unsullied, Haven, Carisan, RaGe, Carnage, Kittenz and EC

Currently

In ODDR Command
Demort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 18:13   #17
newt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
basketball stuff
That would be awesome for the premiership! But aye... can't see how it could be done in pa

Quote:
tbh the problem is just the decreasing size of the community, it feels like it continues to decrease - this could well be inaccurate.
I'd say its more the lack of long term communities, still actively playing pa. Too many alliances in the past ~10 rounds play for a round (or two), then disband. Whereas Ascendancy have remained, and its no surprise that they are prospering. From my own perspective, I kinda wish we'd continued with eXcessum after r24, and we almost did - but as I guess happens with every alliance, we decided the fun wasn't worth the effect on our lives.

Quote:
Yeah, we've used something similar to this. If you have 2 relayers in the same alliance, let them both spam a private channel but only relay the lines of one of them to a blind relay. You're only in trouble if both of them get kicked. It's a rare luxury though.

http://pastebin.ca/1434015
Cool, so your scripts pretty much cover every relaying problem - apart from dodgy irc-ops and the like.

Quote:
I'm sure this is a stupid newbie question, but here goes anyway :P
Why would irc-ops help to find some spy in an alliance in some game?
Some irc-ops (or people that run the server netgamers is on) have strong bonds in the planetarion community - and it costs them nothing to check for relays/fake-nicks/etc other than some of their spare time. It used to be a well known problem, not many cases (or "known" cases) for quite some time now? Or maybe I'm just out of the circles

Begs the question - how many people are there with suitable access like this? And how many of them have planetarion-connections?
Unread 25 May 2009, 19:11   #18
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

SteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Some irc-ops (or people that run the server netgamers is on) have strong bonds in the planetarion community - and it costs them nothing to check for relays/fake-nicks/etc other than some of their spare time. It used to be a well known problem, not many cases (or "known" cases) for quite some time now? Or maybe I'm just out of the circles

Begs the question - how many people are there with suitable access like this? And how many of them have planetarion-connections?
There was this case with expl8t like 5 rounds ago. Strangely enough he had alot of HC arby passwords, for many alliances.
Passwords that he "didn't remember" where he got.

Proud to be Newdawn
Unread 26 May 2009, 00:44   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onim
But, you are somewhat right about ND/CT.
In the sense that he might be right about CT and is so completely staggeringly far off about ND if he'd written the exact opposite it would be closer to the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinmetz
There was this case with expl8t like 5 rounds ago. Strangely enough he had alot of HC arby passwords, for many alliances.
I've dropped a lot of really unsubtle hints about this recently but basically the relay of #shiver last round was uncovered through abuse of irc powers or however you want to phrase it.

I'll take about 30% of whatever minimum wage is newt! 30% of minimum wage considering I still get to spend it in bed and/or abusing people in my free time seems reasonable enough.
Unread 26 May 2009, 12:59   #20
newt
Banned

Quote:
I've dropped a lot of really unsubtle hints about this recently but basically the relay of #shiver last round was uncovered through abuse of irc powers or however you want to phrase it.
So only way to do it is what Tommy did. People relaying be connected to 2 servers in their mirc, and relay #private to #wishisgay on irc.undernet.org (or whatever). Then someone else unconnected with the alliance relay from irc.undernet.org:#wishisgay back to irc.netgamers.org:#newtisemo.

mz! Edit your scripts to do this, or would it require 2 mirc clients and the use of DDE.

I will undercut jbg and offer my services for 25% of the minimum wage! If anyone's interested but unsure, contact mitre for references (no on else ta).
Unread 26 May 2009, 13:18   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I've already edited them at some point, I believe CT went to a private network a couple of rounds ago. It didn't help them, it took me a grand total of 7 characters to fix the script.

The scripts I posted only work on one server because the vast majority of alliances only use NetGamers anyway, and the relays themselves aren't valuable enough to worry about the IRC operators.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 26 May 2009 at 13:23.
Unread 26 May 2009, 13:30   #22
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

I vaguely remember telling you what those 7 characters were.
Unread 26 May 2009, 13:46   #23
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

Quote:
mz! Edit your scripts to do this, or would it require 2 mirc clients and the use of DDE.
Would only require 2 servers and the use of /scid / $cid and similar.

Proud to be Newdawn
Unread 26 May 2009, 13:53   #24
newt
Banned

Anyone know how to grab the raw lines in mirc? eg,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP
:[email protected] PRIVMSG #excessum mg where is newt, life isn't worth living without him :'(
instead of the mirc-parsed stuff.
Unread 26 May 2009, 13:55   #25
Tommy
Sain†s

I have a feeling there was a way, but it's so long since I've played with mIRC scripting I honestly couldn't tell you.
Unread 26 May 2009, 13:59   #26
newt
Banned

Would help many people to relay one channel? They'd be passing to #wishisgay exactly the same stuff instead of potentially different lines, depending on their individual mirc settings. And still easy for the final relayer to #newtisgay to parse the raw lines back into mirc-form for easy viewing.

I nominate mz to put together a completely awesome set of relaying tools and make them opensource.
Unread 26 May 2009, 16:48   #27
Mzyxptlk
mz.

You can catch numerics using the raw event catcher:

raw *:*:{ echo -gts $numeric $1- }

But it appears to fail to catch a lot of incoming messages, privmsg, for one. See also here
Unread 26 May 2009, 17:22   #28
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

I think mz's relay script where in a pastebin link last round or so. It wasnt keyed, and from memory didnt have a time limit, try googling a few key terms, and u might be able to find it
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2009, 18:07   #29
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I just posted it here in this topic. But go ahead, google away!
Unread 26 May 2009, 19:18   #30
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

mIRC RAW events is mostly for errors and replies from the server mz (ERR_XXXX and RPL_XXXX etc), easiest way to catch the raw messages would be using the debug command to a window and parsing it from there with on input.

Proud to be Newdawn
Unread 26 May 2009, 19:28   #31
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Cool, I didn't know that existed.

Man, that's pretty awesome, you only need a a few lines of script to relay absolutely everything.
Unread 26 May 2009, 21:12   #32
newt
Banned

Re: Relay scripts and more such nonsense

Lots of very handy tips in here about how to make the perfect relay script... I'll probably have a play tomorrow inbetween learning c++ and playing homm3
Unread 27 May 2009, 11:36   #33
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteInMetz View Post
Passwords that he "didn't remember" where he got.
Meh. I used to have a dump of a couple hundred PA community passwords lying around. A lot of PA sites back in the old day had shitty security (admin could view all passwords etc), combined with account sharing and people using the same password for PA and their alliance site etc. None of them were (afaik) obtained via IRCop abuse. I couldn't tell you where any of them came from though. As a curiosity, among them was the Xanadu HC password that was used in round 4 to get access to the entire Xanadu site by logging into some HC's hotmail account (not the site itself) and recovering his site password.

I lost all of it in a disk crash, so I can't give you any other relevant examples (sorry), but I had a bunch of Excel spreadsheets with passwords from various alliances. By now they'd be pretty worthless, but if I'd kept them up throughout the years I might still have some HC arby logins. What Expl8t said is plausible.

Wishmaster was convinced Expl8t did something illegal to find the person relaying #shiver, but I don't really think Wishmaster would know. When Expl8t was in Ascendancy, he did pass me information that was on the suspect side, but nothing that was obvious abuse of oper powers. When the password thing came up, I passed all the relevant information on to NG people that were looking into it at the time.

I'm not trying to defend or attack anyone here, I'm just trying to clarify how what he said isn't entirely implausible. I'm also not claiming that what I've described is necessarily what happened. I could well be wrong about all this.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2009, 15:27   #34
newt
Banned

Either expl8t has lied in the past to people (myself included!) about how he comes across much of his information to try and sound.. dunno, cool.. or he actually did it.

That ofcourse doesn't mean that he's done it in every situation that people have accused him of (I just know he did it for report channels and fake nicks, in r24 - and I was more than happy to use his 'skills' - as many other people have (asc included), so really expl8t shouldn't get criticism for this. We'd all use him if we could).

But I'm sure plenty of people will think I'm lying here and will believe expl8t is innocent and ttoally wrongly accused. Its a bit like me going "i know elviz cheats, he told me and showed me how he did it!" - you either believe the story or you don't. Pretty sure there is no way to prove expl8t has done wrong, no matter how incredible his intel skills are.

Also has expl8t really done wrong? I personally don't think so... all part of the game (but a bit worrying he could find real-life-private-information, I know I've given my credit card info to mates to use on irc once or twice ).

edit: Sadly cos of expl8t's access he's always going to be accused of stuff too. I know when I was relaying the audentes priv channel, and was found, I accused expl8t of abusing his powers (he was in audentes, chatting about tech stuff that very day - eg how to go through a 2gb text file searching for lines and such - could have been irc.netgamers.org logs? ). Though aud hc have presented a way of finding me that didn't involve expl8t (either they're lying or CBA is.. [either cba gave away, or expl8t found the nick of, the bot I was using to relay]) ... I still suspect it was expl8t, mainly because aud hc also knew the channel it was being relayed into (Only person I was relaying to was CBA, and i know he was extremely careful when he passed on #aud.priv logs to most people, obviously not to aud hc though.... find that hard to believe!). Bit like wishmaster thinks it was expl8t last round probably.

Last edited by newt; 27 May 2009 at 16:11.
Unread 27 May 2009, 18:06   #35
JonnyBGood
Banned

There are obviously ways of getting passwords which are perfectly fine. I got access to jenova's arbiter in round something or other by virtue of hude remembering some ex-angels dude's password from when he was there in r21. To be honest in r26 I really did think something like this was how expl8t got his passwords, as I knew he did tech stuff for a bunch of alliances, although I'm perfectly willing to concede we benefited from it if he was breaking "rules" (I have no ****ing clue what irc regulations are).

Separately in my opinion there aren't really that many reliable ways of tracking relays as you get lots of false positives from normal pastes out of the channel etc. Some people are slightly more suspect than others. The rest of the ministry who were left in CT in r24 for example heh.

Edit: I can't say I really blame anyone for using whatever they can though. Unless you're actually violating people's personal lives and not just their shitty edentity in a shitty online game it's not really that big a deal to me.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 27 May 2009 at 18:28.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2009, 18:55   #36
newt
Banned

Quote:
Separately in my opinion there aren't really that many reliable ways of tracking relays as you get lots of false positives from normal pastes out of the channel etc. Some people are slightly more suspect than others. The rest of the ministry who were left in CT in r24 for example heh.
Well, expl8t owns the server that irc.netgamers.org is hosted on? Or works as a tech to maintain it anyway. Something like that. As such he more than likely has access to netgamers' logs, which for example, you can say "sdflkhsdklfhsdghsdgjkhdfghdfjghd" in #aud.priv, then do a search through the logs to see where else it appeared - doubt a string like that gets said that much on netgamers Wouldn't take ages to run, so long as you had reasonably efficient code.

But I think expl8t doing that, if he does, is perfectly fine - using underhand means to find someone doing underhand things.

Problem would be if he actually reads individual pms and so forth... but I highly doubt he does, no one would put themselves through that amount of tedious boredom.

disclaimer: Everything in this post is hypothetical - more than likely expl8t does nothing at all like anything mentioned here.
Unread 27 May 2009, 19:32   #37
Tommy
Sain†s

Most IRCds won't log messages anyway - it's generally considered unethical to do so. I've not looked at the NG IRCd, but I'd be surprised if it actually did log traffic beyond connections and such. Apart from anything else, on a big network there's just too much info to be worth logging. By default each server can handle 1024 connections - and if just one person on a network talks each second, you're looking at maybe 10MB of logs a day. When you throw in (dis)connections and such, you'd quickly fill up a 4GB file on a network like this.
Unread 27 May 2009, 21:41   #38
newt
Banned

Ah fair enough, so expl8t just simply abuses irc-op type access then (or doesn't abuse anything at all ofc).

Apologies for slandering his name, but as I said, was hypothetical.
Unread 29 May 2009, 15:40   #39
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

tbh this round ive been using mz's script which i found a couple rounds ago to relay a few channels (just changing vars/file it writes to so it can be used multiple instances) and a script i found on google to relay from non netgamers servers back to netgamers chans.

I dont see why people are talking about running 2 instances of mirc. I used this something simple like this:

on *:start: { server underworld.ca.us.netgamers.org -i munkee munkee2 [email protected] munks | server -m firefly.no.eu.netgamers.org -i timmy tim [email protected] tim | server -m xenon.5th-element.org -i timmy tim [email protected] tim | }

on *:connect: { set %server1 $server | set %munkee munkee | set %tim timmy |

if (underworld.ca.us.netgamers.org isin %server1) {

if ($me == %munkee) { msg [email protected] login munkee xxx | mode munkee +ix | j #ct,#silvercity | }

else { nick munkee2 | msg [email protected] login munkee xxx | msg [email protected] RECOVER | timer 1 2 nick munkee | timer 1 3 mode munkee +ix | timer 1 6 j #ct | }

}

if (firefly.no.eu.netgamers.org isin %server1) {

tim 2nd nick for relaying here commands

}

if (xenon.5th-element.org isin %server1) {

outher network nick commands in here

}
}

Its not pretty at all.. but it gets the job done for me and i have **** all knowledge of mirc compared to a lot of people so it can ofc be done easier.
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2009, 17:51   #40
Hude
self-entitledly superior

Hude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant future

Quote:
There are obviously ways of getting passwords which are perfectly fine. I got access to jenova's arbiter in round something or other by virtue of hude remembering some ex-angels dude's password from when he was there in r21.
Angels stored their passwords of their arbiter in plain text. They asked me to transfer their users/passwords to exi arby giving me a ****ing list of every single members user/pass. WELL DUH! Some people with administrator access used the same passwords during later rounds...
Hude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2009, 18:02   #41
Hude
self-entitledly superior

Hude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant future

And on another note, come on guys. There has always been password leaks without great conspiracies.
Hude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2009, 19:20   #42
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

:angels:

Proud to be Newdawn
Unread 30 May 2009, 13:23   #43
newt
Banned

I don't even have a clue what this password-scandal is about. Someone should give a 2-line summary of what expl8t's been accused of in that respect and make this thread complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBG
To be honest in r26 I really did think something like this was how expl8t got his passwords
Which alliances? What happened?

I get the feeling someone is going to use the search function and paste me back a url, but bare in mind that that would be boring
Unread 30 May 2009, 15:34   #44
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:

I get the feeling someone is going to use the search function and paste me back a url, but bare in mind that that would be boring
He gave me passwords for CT and ND's websites (can't remember who for).
Unread 30 May 2009, 15:53   #45
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

Quote:
I don't even have a clue what this password-scandal is about. Someone should give a 2-line summary of what expl8t's been accused of in that respect and make this thread complete.

He used his high level root access to one of the netgamers servers(underworld.no) and stole P passwords, wich he then tried on the tools to different alliances.

Netgamers conclusion was ofc that since he couldn't remember where he found these passwords nothing have happend.

Funny thing tho atleast one of the NewDawn passwords stolen was new, so he should have no problem remembering it. If he of course didn't want to remember it

Thats the short summary

EDIT

The netgamers conclusion can be found here
Unread 30 May 2009, 16:18   #46
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

http://pastesite.com/743
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2009, 16:32   #47
Tommy
Sain†s

To pick up on something Phil^ said in that thread, incidentally - if a login system works by comparing the hash of a given password to a stored hash (as many indeed do), you don't need to reverse it - you only need to find a string that works. There's no need to find the actual password that someone uses if another one gives the same result. This is why salting is important - it makes it so much harder to find a match for a given hash if you don't know how the hash is actually being created.
Unread 30 May 2009, 16:34   #48
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee View Post
My favourite part of that log is pretty much everything said by koks.
Unread 30 May 2009, 18:15   #49
newt
Banned

Thanks spritfire and munkee, were some interesting reads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
This is why salting is important - it makes it so much harder to find a match for a given hash if you don't know how the hash is actually being created.
My tools used salting I r0x0r! Not that I have a clue what salting is, but it was used ;( And if I used it, I'm guessing nearly every alliance would have for their tools too.
Unread 30 May 2009, 18:30   #50
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

My favourite part is Jeekay's ownage of Kenny...