User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 17:22   #1
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about
[closed] Limit Exiling

In the case of 8:6, which is now completely empty and thus may deserve an exemption from the No-Coord Rule, one GC and one Minister decided they were frustrated and exiled every single galaxy mate, then self exiled the last person out.

This means that there's a lot of new players who are going to sign up and end up in the one single most crap galaxy in the whole game. Clearly an abuse of the current system.

I would limit each galaxy to two exiles per day to prevent two people (even if duly elected) from screwing up a whole galaxy.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 17:52   #2
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: Limit Exiling

Next round all ministers will need to agree to an exile.
And self exile will have a cost.

However I'd still like to limit exiling further, especially early on in the round. People tend to judge their galaxies to early before things have a chance to get going an hence destroy people's round by damaging what could have been a perfectly good galaxy.

As to 8:6 I think we will remove it from the galaxy table so no one new can join it (if this has allready happened we can allways exile them).

But there are plenty of galaxoies that now only have a few paid plantes in them. We somehow need an incetive for people to try and make their initial galaxy work rather than self exiling or getting exiled, Ideas are ofcourse appreciated.

Cayl's idea of limiting exil frequency would help, but i'd prefer something more elegant.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 19:00   #3
Cayl

Well you can force people stay in a crap galaxy at the beginning, it just means that experienced people will quit sooner, and maybe have newer people give up later. Its a balancing act.

Frankly I probably wouldn't have paid for my planet if I'd had to stay in my first galaxy, I wasn't really committed to playing until after my exile.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 23:46   #4
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The current self exile system does not need changing, as limiting it to a single use system is already an effective limitation.

Likewise I would not have bothered paying for an account had i not been able to self exile from a rubbish gal into a better one. I knew the risk was that I could have ended up someplace worse. Perhaps you should add a cost, for instance you could say that a % of the planets roids get "lost" in transfer, thus making it less prone to abuse later in the round.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 07:53   #5
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough

I'm still very much against the idea that people who PAY to play this game are forced to play with people who do NOT pay for their accounts. I'm quite certain that majority of these free accounts are never upgraded thus are no asset to the galaxy as the round progresses. I always like to do my best with my planet and grow as big as possible but nowadays it's based on pure luck in what kind of galaxy you land in, bad or worse.

I don't intend to pay anymore to have an account with newbies and teach them how to play if they even could care less. Current system makes it less and less appealing to old players.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 08:39   #6
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road

well i think it is good that paid and unpaid accounts get mixed...
gives ppl like me a reason to buy three credits instead of one to strengthen my gal...
such things help the game get more players and that is always good...
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 10:06   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran
I'm still very much against the idea that people who PAY to play this game are forced to play with people who do NOT pay for their accounts. I'm quite certain that majority of these free accounts are never upgraded thus are no asset to the galaxy as the round progresses. I always like to do my best with my planet and grow as big as possible but nowadays it's based on pure luck in what kind of galaxy you land in, bad or worse.

I don't intend to pay anymore to have an account with newbies and teach them how to play if they even could care less. Current system makes it less and less appealing to old players.

under this galaxy system though everyone gets the same amount of unpaid people hence there is no problem having them.

1 thing that might be a good idea is disabling self exile for free accounts so they can;t hop around and spy.

question to Cayl - how long did u give your first gal to see if they were going to be any good before exiling.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 17 Apr 2005, 11:48   #8
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

I know you will have already thourght of this but when are exiles going to close as I can see that if left open, the last week of the game will be everyone exiling to try and get in the top gal.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 13:00   #9
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
However I'd still like to limit exiling further, especially early on in the round. People tend to judge their galaxies to early before things have a chance to get going an hence destroy people's round by damaging what could have been a perfectly good galaxy.
Well we exiled around 9 people in the first 2 or 3 days.

4 of them were before tick 40 as they had 6 - 18 roids... you can tell that when someone is halfway through protection and has 6-18 roids that they arent treally commited to playing properly.

The others were exiled because of inactivity/no IRC activity...

After exiling these people we got some actives who started in inactive gals.

If we hadnt exiled those people then the active guys would have gone to other gals with less players.

Right now most good players have found a gal that they are content with so they wont go exiling themselves into gals who are now exiling people.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 13:23   #10
Goafer LX

Goafer LX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
GOOD

[INS]Goafer
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 20:47   #11
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
Well we exiled around 9 people in the first 2 or 3 days.

4 of them were before tick 40 as they had 6 - 18 roids... you can tell that when someone is halfway through protection and has 6-18 roids that they arent treally commited to playing properly.

The others were exiled because of inactivity/no IRC activity...

After exiling these people we got some actives who started in inactive gals.

If we hadnt exiled those people then the active guys would have gone to other gals with less players.

Right now most good players have found a gal that they are content with so they wont go exiling themselves into gals who are now exiling people.

I was in hospital first 2 weeks of last round and had hardly and roids research etc....

My galaxy came 8th (10.10) i was 145th.

Dont kick ppl till you have given them a chance like they gave me.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 20:50   #12
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
All ministers to agree wont make a difference at all as the GC can chop and change the ministers to exile ppl asap.
And isnt it also possible to just have 1 member keep changing his position and then he can do all 3 votes?

I propose that if the GC wishes to change minister or elect minister then aswell as been shown in news, that in 10 ticks you will lose/gain postion apart from his first elections.
Hence making it a little harder to keep power swapping ministers.

Just an idea think about it

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 22:04   #13
Cayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
question to Cayl - how long did u give your first gal to see if they were going to be any good before exiling.
Near the end of protection, I was getting to the limits of my chosen research path as a free planet. At that point I looked at the active planets in my galaxy.

None were known friendly to 1up. One buddy pack of 3 was active. Most people had not inited even halfway decent amount of asteroids. Most people had very little fleet or research. The galaxy was ranked like 160 of 165 (or something). My chances of improving were close to 100%.

Talked to the GC asked to leave, and advised him to talk to his two buddies and do the same.

You can only work with people who are interested in improving. People who are never online and can't find their way to IRC are unworkable for a serious player.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 22:07   #14
Cayl

BTW planets are landing in 8:6, you may want to get on top of that removing it from the galaxy list thing.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 22:44   #15
NotALegend
BC, Ace Cliff Jumper

NotALegend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
All ministers to agree wont make a difference at all as the GC can chop and change the ministers to exile ppl asap.
And isnt it also possible to just have 1 member keep changing his position and then he can do all 3 votes?
Buddypack is 3 people, while GC + ministers are 4 people. So it would be much harder to do fast exiles. If ministers are changed, then the existing votes would have to be reset of course.
r1 - ?:? | r2 - 6:6 | r3 - 4:15 | r4 - 178:11 | r5 - ?:?
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 18:47   #16
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Discussing self-exiling /exiling limitations really does not seam fair to me :/

Why should exiling be limited? why on earth should paid planets be forced to sit in a galaxy that is in some cases ruining their round, this is noway to treat paying customers, i was lucky with my gal this round, however had i landed in a crap gal, i would be thinking twice about continuing and definately thinking twice about playing/paying again. the gal you get atm is purely luck, at least allowing exile/self-exile, at least gives ppl a way to rectify their bad luck instead of just suffering with it.

i agree with the arguement about teaching newer players to play, atm i have IRC/game tutorials and introductions in message boards, but tbh if they are not active, or getting there in 24 hours they are exiled simple as that. there is no way you can help ppl who are not interested in playing, without the ability to exile these asap and get actives in i would be very frustrated and more likely to exile peeps asap where the opertunity exists, rather than give them a chance.
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 23:02   #17
Cayl

Dear Barney,

Thank you for the input. Now read my original post.

Love
Cayl
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 13:07   #18
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayl
Dear Barney,

Thank you for the input. Now read my original post.

Love
Cayl
yea i did read the original post, funnily enuf i did this before i posted. however have you read the posts since, the topic had drifted from the original post before i even posted

if you point out what you think is not relevant to your original, and i will explain why it is relevant. instead of a smart ass reply :P

love
barney
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 14:58   #19
Goafer LX

Goafer LX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i do think that all 3 ministers should have to vote, and to stop the GC jus changing 1 person around to make the vote work, how about when somone new is elected the current exile vote has to be restarted
or better still say that u have to be a minister for at least 24 ticks b4 u can be changed again

[INS]Goafer
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 17:54   #20
Cayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney
if you point out what you think is not relevant to your original, and i will explain why it is relevant.
Quote:
Discussing self-exiling /exiling limitations really does not seam fair to me :/

Why should exiling be limited?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayl
one GC and one Minister decided they were frustrated and exiled every single galaxy mate, then self exiled the last person out.
Clearly an abuse of the current system.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
without the ability to exile these asap
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 13:41   #21
Vapula

Vapula is an unknown quantity at this point

Well... I'm quite balanced between exiles and no exiles...

Allowing to exile people out of galaxy lead to some abuse... You've people who keep threatening/pissing off their gal members till they get exiled and continue so until they reach a planet they like... Coercing GC into exiling them is somehow getting unlimited free exiles...

So, I'd say that
1) when you land in a galaxy, you've to stay AT LEAST 72 Ticks before you can get exiled (don't affect self-exile)
2) when you are exiled (or self-exile), you ALWAYS land in bottom half of the universe. This may lead to these galaxy having more members and will thus have as side effect that new account will land in big galaxies... which is somehow good as it'll help them in catching up.
3) exiled accounts remains in C200+ until they connect. If someone went idle, he won't fill any active galaxy (should they be free or paid account).
4) time before being able to be exiled may be increased from exile to exile...
5) at end of protection all unpaid planets idle for more than 48 hour are automatically exiled to C200+

I know that dedicated Planetarion players like to kind of choose their galaxy. But if we want planetarion to survive, it needs to be attractive to newcomers... and being throw away from every good galaxy you may land into because of your score is NOT something that will make you willing to pay or to join the following round... And having the bullies making their GC exile them until they find some "good" galaxy is not good either...

Exile was made to be able to discard some player which is creating too much trouble, not to allow people to choose their galaxy...
R6 -- end of round, reached 3M limit (random free)
R7 -- 33:10 (random, -=T|O=-)
R8 -- 10:10:10 (ToT)
R9 -- 42:2:1 (ToT)
R9.5 -- ??:??:?? (ToT)
R13 -- 6:4:8 (ToT)
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 15:04   #22
hellsmurf

hellsmurf has a little shameless behaviour in the past

well make a limit for exiling...

just make a possible to excile inactive ppl....
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 15:39   #23
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Take my galaxy for instance. 5:8

As the GC in a dead gal, I have a hard enough time getting 1 minister online to exile ppl, I have already exiled all the unplayed accounts and now all I get is planets who log in once every 48 hours, none have alliances, and all bar 1 other, is free.

I am choosing to stay here to try and make it half decent, but its quite simply impossible. Making it all 3 ministers need to vote will ONLY help the active gals, and us in the small gals will just have a harder problem getting rid of ppl.

How about, top 10% of gals have to have all 3 ministers and pay, for instance 100k each, then next 10% pay 90k etc till the bottom gals who need only the GC + 5k or something. Sliding scale is the way to go imo.
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 08:59   #24
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I was thinking along similar lines before reading Forests post, imo a sliding scale is the only decent solution. Having all the ministers online at the same time is an excessive requirement for the smaller galaxies, you'd be lucky if you could have two or three people online at the same time in some of the lower ones.
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 12:59   #25
Kal
Inactive peon

exiling should be better controlled next round

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Closed Thread