User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 16 Dec 2007, 19:42   #1
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Petrol prices and how i started to question the car

My dad asked me to fill up his car from empty, at the petrol station i nonchalantly stuck the nozzle in the tank and pressed the lever; choosing to ignore the pump and instead gazing with rapist like intensity at a slutty woman in miniskirt(!) shivering whilst filling her car up.

When the nozzle cut the pump off i took a quick glance at the pump and nearly shit myself.

£75*

seventy five ****ing pounds, seventy five pounds to fill a car up (apparently it has a 70l tank and i was filling with unleaded). Jesus ****ing christ. For the americans thats $150. Now my dad obviously repaid me but how the **** do people afford that week in week out?!, thankfully ive got a small car that i don't need to use often but at the rate fuel prices are increasing you might as well just forget about using a car as a viable means of transport.

Anyone got a higher fuel bill?

*£73.something
Unread 16 Dec 2007, 20:36   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Petrol prices and how i started to question the car

and just think, half of that is tax ( oh and americans would be paying $50-80 for the same amount )
Unread 16 Dec 2007, 20:46   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

(and complain still)
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2007, 19:36   #4
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"buy oil! they're not making any more of it!"
Unread 17 Dec 2007, 23:31   #5
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Last I saw, the oil companies make about 9 cents American on each gallon. The government makes several times that amount but very few seem to blame the government for hight petrol prices.
Unread 18 Dec 2007, 00:20   #6
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Last I saw, the oil companies make about 9 cents American on each gallon. The government makes several times that amount but very few seem to blame the government for hight petrol prices.
Stop complaining. Your goverment goes to war for oil, so you can drive around in your car. Show some respect man!
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2007, 02:43   #7
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

The oil companies also claim that they do not control the price of gasoline. Did you know that companies like Equiva that do the actual gasoline trading are owned by companies like Shell Oil? Supply and demand they say. They create the demand and they have the supply. Don't believe me? Check out their ad at Monster.com: http://company.monster.com/equiva/

I don't call it gas anymore......

I call it GREED!
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2007, 08:27   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Very dramatic.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 18 Dec 2007, 14:07   #9
Bbud2
Banned

Bbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really nice

what , that we use oil because if we were to get hydrogene car , you made youself and half the block blow up?

... this actualy explod , not petrol who burn
Bbud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2007, 15:09   #10
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

jesus christ, hydrogene cars won't blow up, the only thing we need to change is our way of life, not using the car for every mile you can walk would be a great help.

If life hands you lemons, drink more tequila

After the game is over the king and the pawn end up in the same box

HA - asc -rdm-asc-VR- #ODDR - APP
Finally retired
HeimdallR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2007, 17:26   #11
emux
Capitán de Navío

emux will become famous soon enoughemux will become famous soon enough

The Apocalypse is coming! Walk or die.
1... c6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Nd7 5. Nf3 Ngf6 6. Nxf6+ Nxf6 7. c3 Bg4 8. h3 Bxf3 9. Qxf3 e6 GK-AK 1987-10 (9... Qd5 GK-AK 1987-14)
emux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2007, 23:59   #12
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Stop complaining. Your goverment goes to war for oil, so you can drive around in your car. Show some respect man!
Interestingly enough, though my country goes to war for oil most of the gasoline stations in my area are non-American. Arco (British Petroleum), Shell (Royal Dutch Shell), Citicorp (Hugo Chavez), Valero (Mexico). The American owned stations Standard Oil, Union 76 have higher prices for gas than do the foreign owned gas stations.

Apparently, even though we go to war for oil we can't even get that right.
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 01:35   #13
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I suspect that your area (influenced by yourself, dda?) is unpatriotic! I will call the white house to inform Georgie about this and ask that he takes appropriate actions (ie invade).

I thought you were a godfearing patriot dda, but you have dissapointed me :crymeariver:
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 05:54   #14
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

We will get rid of our dependance on oil, its already in the process, but you can gaurentee it wont be in the interest of furthering our goal towards a more utopian society, rather only a question of when the oil companies and car manufacturers can come up with a working model to turn over a bigger profit from alternative energy.
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 09:00   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
We will get rid of our dependance on oil, its already in the process, but you can gaurentee it wont be in the interest of furthering our goal towards a more utopian society, rather only a question of when the oil companies and car manufacturers can come up with a working model to turn over a bigger profit from alternative energy.
Almost prophetic, if it weren't for it's obviousness. You can't depend on something that isn't there any more man.
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 11:37   #16
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Almost prophetic, if it weren't for it's obviousness. You can't depend on something that isn't there any more man.
They're not stupid either. They will hang on for as long as they have to, if it means pushing prices up further until only the privelidged can afford to drive it will buy them as much time as they feel they require.

Also by putting patents on alternative technologies to stop competition from pulling the rug out from under them.. they are not going to let control fall into others hands.
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 15:32   #17
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Even for short trips round town, at £1 for ten miles the car is still cheaper to run than the bus at £1 for a journey. And that's dirt cheap as far as buses go.
Unread 20 Dec 2007, 17:14   #18
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesigedB
Even for short trips round town, at £1 for ten miles the car is still cheaper to run than the bus at £1 for a journey. And that's dirt cheap as far as buses go.
True, but you forgot to count one other cost, YOUR SOUL!
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2007, 22:08   #19
dda
USS Oklahoma

Souls are cheap.
Unread 20 Dec 2007, 22:18   #20
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Souls are cheap.
i know
Unread 24 Dec 2007, 14:12   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Higher energy costs are a good thing in the long run, so long as they are managed properly to stop the effects completely crushing any particular set of individuals. I suspect that in the longer term, cars will still be very popular for people outside of the most densely populated areas, but certain journey types will become less common.

When calculating something for work I had to do a survey and found that there was several people who travelled over 100 miles a day to and from work. The majority of these people were doing jobs which could be done from home at least two or three times a week. Factor in high commercial rents and it's not surprising that 20% of our employees will work from home at least once a week within a year (up from 0% about five years ago).

Residential car-pooling could prove interesting, it's in place in a few developments in the UK, although I am still unsure if it "fits" Britain. The principle is sound though; if you don't need a car that often, then why own one? If you can get the balance between cars and residents right (enough to guarantee 95% availability or something) then you can cut the individual costs of car ownership dramatically while not demanding huge sacrifices from anyone.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2007, 14:23   #22
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

They had this enquiry in Finland a year ago or so regards the subject. The purpose was to map how people in the Helsinki area travel to work and what affects their choice of transport. There's a quite good and very reliable local train traffic from the neighbour cities to Helsinki, and it's no matter how you turn it cheaper than driving a car. In fact, it's faster too.

Why would a lot of people want to drive cars, especially drive cars alone to work?

Because they want to sit in their car alone in their "privacy" on their way to work. It hasn't got to do with petrol prices, transport costs, or time consumed.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2007, 16:21   #23
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
They had this enquiry in Finland a year ago or so regards the subject. The purpose was to map how people in the Helsinki area travel to work and what affects their choice of transport. There's a quite good and very reliable local train traffic from the neighbour cities to Helsinki, and it's no matter how you turn it cheaper than driving a car. In fact, it's faster too.

Why would a lot of people want to drive cars, especially drive cars alone to work?

Because they want to sit in their car alone in their "privacy" on their way to work. It hasn't got to do with petrol prices, transport costs, or time consumed.
They should learn to sleep on public transport then.
Unread 24 Dec 2007, 16:31   #24
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i quite liked the top gear awards take on the state of motoring in the uk
( uk only ) http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008m4dy.shtml - around 36:42
Unread 24 Dec 2007, 17:40   #25
Maladoni
Infrequent

Maladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud of

I must admit I'm the King of Apathy. Long reign whatever.

But even I was moved to take this when visiting my friends up North yesterday.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1876/dsc00281yy0.jpg

God damn, I say god damn.
Unread 26 Dec 2007, 01:36   #26
nick
modest sagacity

nick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
True, but you forgot to count one other cost, YOUR SOUL!
and road tax, and cost of the car, cost of maintaining it, insurance, etc.
nick is offline   Reply With Quote