User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Oct 2006, 14:52   #1
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts
Uni and Computer Science

Has anyone done a degree in computer science and can tell me what to expect when i start mine? (i will learn that when doing my access course but i would like to know a actual persons view of it), i will proboly be doing software engineering, and i will most likely be going to loughborough, what in your opinon are the "best" unis for computer science other than of course oxbridge?

Quote:
Originally posted by an anon neg-repper

all your posts are shit. it's like a more accurate turbonegro song
i post on a internet forum!
The General8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2006, 15:11   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Uni and Computer Science

Loughborough uni student checking in!
Computer Science at Loughborough, as I have learned slightly to my cost, doesn't have a lot to do with coding. Therefore, you've probably made the right decision by going with Software Engineering, which (afaik) is actually run by the Engineering department, not the CS department.

I didn't have advanced warning and wound up having to change course
Unread 18 Oct 2006, 18:22   #3
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm currently in my second year of Computer Science with Games Development at the University of Hull. This course is fairly coding centered, and also pretty fun as well. Hull is pretty good uni for Comp Sci and has good links with Microsoft, who let all Hull Comp Sci students have copies of Windows and Visual Studio etc for free. Also last year the top three teams in the UK round of the Imagine Cup were all from Hull and the winning team went out to India to compete in the finals. I've had a couple of Software Engineering modules for my course, and they have been by far the most boring modules I've ever had to sit through, I'm constantly falling asleep in the lectures.
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2006, 19:34   #4
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I did CS at Warwick, pretty theoretical.
You get taught how to program in Java- beginning with standard language constructs (loops etc.) and moving on to Object Oriented Programming.
We had a pretty broad 'hardware' module, that focuses on how various bits of a computer (Processor, memory, I/O, storage) work (both physically and logically).
There's a lot of maths, covered by a broad module in the 1st year that (supposedly) prepares you for every other module during the course.
We also got taught functional and logic programming (with SML and Prolog respectively), though not in as much detail as Java.

The 2nd year involved formal logic, concurrency (theoretical and practical), networking (including Information Theory),databases (both in terms of SQL and relational algebra) and language-representation (parsing, automata etc.).

1/3 of the 3rd year was devoted to an individual project, with options making up the rest. I did AI, Robotics, History of computing and then a couple of Business-School options.

I enjoyed it, but as far as programming goes, possibly not the best choice.
Unread 19 Oct 2006, 07:00   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

computer science courses tend to be more theoretical, and maths orientated.
applied computing courses tend to be more practical and coding orientated.

both will probably teach you in java, c++, c#, vb.net and probably asp.net
theres also a hardware element to the course as symm mentions as well as a databases and sql aspect.
Unread 19 Oct 2006, 07:38   #6
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

I'm almost done a certification in computer systems technology over here... One of the applied programs. VB.net, C#, Sql, oracle, java, j2ee, and flash is what I've covered. Although I'm north american so chances are this doesn't help you much

I would have thought that VB.net, C#, and sql would have been the big ones across the board however.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote