User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Jan 2006, 17:38   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
CD to MP3

I had a nice little MP3 player for christmas but if I want to put CDs on there I will have to rip them from CD to .WAV and then convert them to MP3.

Does anyone know of a good little program that can just rip MP3s straight away?

thanks.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 17:40   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: CD to MP3

CDEX does it all.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 17:41   #3
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

It's not brilliant but iTunes works fine for me.
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 17:57   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
CDEX does it all.
This is the right choice.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 18:11   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
CDEX does it all.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 18:38   #6
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Didnt the mp3 player come with any kind of software to do just that?
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 18:42   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Didnt the mp3 player come with any kind of software to do just that?
Generally, they don't.
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 18:50   #8
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

It did with mine (Creative Zen Sleek) and it works perfectly. It also contacts a site on internett that fills in the names of songs and so on, so I dont have to type it. It even recognized a cd given out by a friend of mine that I ripped.
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 22:12   #9
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

I just use Windows Media Player to rip CDs into mp3s, it works fine.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 22:16   #10
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if you use WMP it puts DRM on them, meaning that you then HAVE to use WMP to put the stuff on your mp3 player... which is irritating at best.

CDEX is indeed the correct answer
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 22:16   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
It did with mine (Creative Zen Sleek) and it works perfectly. It also contacts a site on internett that fills in the names of songs and so on, so I dont have to type it. It even recognized a cd given out by a friend of mine that I ripped.
They all do that (and have done for some years).

I've not checked the latest iteration of the Creative software, but their efforts have been poor in the past. And I say this as someone who has owned at least five Creative MP3 players. They just can't resist being gay with their software/interface design.
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 22:30   #12
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Not all ripping programs do that, Dante.
Besdies that, the quality of the naming varies. Alot of them does not provide a match for alot of norwegion cd's for instance.

The software is quite fine, and even my mother should be able to use it.
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 22:31   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

they should all contact cddb www.cddb.com or www.gracenote.com and really should therefore fill in the same cd info no matter which ripping program you are using
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 22:35   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

What roadrunner said.
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 23:04   #15
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ive never had DRM issues with WMP.

but mostly, i download stuff ripped by someone else, and upload in FLAC. its months since i ripped anything for solely personal use.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 01:17   #16
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I use Goobox for ripping, and Gnomad for transfer to my Zen Micro.
On windows, Mediamonkey does me just fine.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 01:53   #17
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
ive never had DRM issues with WMP.
RR, explain what do you mean? Because I've not encountered any problems yet.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 02:22   #18
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
they should all contact cddb www.cddb.com or www.gracenote.com and really should therefore fill in the same cd info no matter which ripping program you are using
The rippers I used before connected to cddb, but this program uses gracenote. To me it seems like gracenote is somewhat better.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 02:25   #19
roadrunner_0
cynic

i have a mp3 player that supports DRM (because its quite new you see) WMP10 also supports DRM, if you rip music using WMP10 and then try putting it onto a mobile device that supports DRM without using WMP's 'copy to device' function it won't work.

will have a look on google and see if i can find a better explanation as i don't quite get it myself, it just annoys me.

EDIT: i cant find anything 'easy' to link, however if you look for an explanation of DRM and WMP DRM im sure you can find somethign that will answer any questions you may have

Last edited by roadrunner_0; 15 Jan 2006 at 02:32.
roadrunner_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 02:27   #20
roadrunner_0
cynic

gracenote IS cddb, gracenote is just the parent company of cddb (lit: Compact Disc DataBase) and does quite a lot with its patents by all accounts, but every ripping program i have ever come across used cddb, simply because it is meant to be definitive (although its not, i have a CD thats not on there, but its not on there for a perfectly valid reason)
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 11:47   #21
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You can turn off protecting mp3's created by WMP (though I dunno if that works if you encode to .wma or not, never had the inclination), I did a bunch of cd's back home. Encodes aren't bad, but there's no error correction so if the CD's dirty or anything you end up with trashed files.

I'm a fan of Exact Audio Copy though I've never used CDEX, will have to have a play.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 12:35   #22
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Gracenote/CDDB are rather evil, and you should really use FreeDB instead. Some software gives you an option to change the server it used for lookups...
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 13:56   #23
roadrunner_0
cynic

why is cddb evil?
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 14:17   #24
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

It started out as an open database, put together by volunteers and accessible by anyone (any software could connect to it to submit/fetch information), but then it became Gracenote, and is now only accessible by licensed software/people, which I think is rather unfair to the people who'd contributed to it, and effectvely made it.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:41   #25
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i've been ripping mp3's driectly onto my mp3 player using wmp without a problem at all.
I've also ripped them onto hard disk and then moved them across myself.
no problems whatsoever.

Why the hell would you want to rip it to a wav file? surely that makes it about a million times bigger?

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 12:57   #26
roadrunner_0
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
It started out as an open database, put together by volunteers and accessible by anyone (any software could connect to it to submit/fetch information), but then it became Gracenote, and is now only accessible by licensed software/people, which I think is rather unfair to the people who'd contributed to it, and effectvely made it.

ah, fair enough then i didn't know that
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 13:16   #27
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

I dont rip cds that often (im more of a radio person, so I dont buy many CDs. I never saw the point in it anyway).
The last time I used cdparanoia and lame directly on the shell (i dont have a gui, or a computer monitor, on my linux computer). I did that because there was some kind of copy protection on the cd, which cdparanoia apparently completly ignored. Does this CDEX do that or do you people just live in coutries that have acceptable property laws?
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 14:17   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Most "copy protection" is guff. I've never seen CDex fail to rip something.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 14:48   #29
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
i've been ripping mp3's driectly onto my mp3 player using wmp without a problem at all.
I've also ripped them onto hard disk and then moved them across myself.
no problems whatsoever.

Why the hell would you want to rip it to a wav file? surely that makes it about a million times bigger?
Seconded. Although I sometimes have trouble ripping some CD's, presumably because of a specific DRM or whatnot.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 14:58   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Why the hell would you want to rip it to a wav file?
Well, there's rarely any point doing so now, but once upon a time we didn't have fancy all-in-one rip & encoders and so there wasn't much alternative. Encoding also used to take hours, rather than minutes. It's also a lot easier to manipulate wave files (or again, it used to be) than MP3s. So if you wanted to edit the sound file (say, split it into seperate files) you'd have to do it in the wav file.