User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Sep 2005, 03:42   #1
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Take Heart, A University Degree Can Get You...

...a great job at a law firm. Yes, I now work as a person who sets up coffee and wipes off table tops at the prestigious http://www.swlaw.com/ law firm. I wouldn't have been able to do it without my Honors Degree in Anthropology that I labored diligently for.

The sad thing is that I am employed in the lowest possible position at this institution. It is a sadder thing that I am employed through a temp agency, and that I would not be able to get this position as a permanent employee (because of my degree). So instead I can only get it temporarily, with less pay, and no benefits.

So take heart philosophers, historians, social scientists, and other intrepid students of the humanities. A wonderful career and life is ahead of you!
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 03:50   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Take Heart, A University Degree Can Get You...

but america works on the basis that everyone has 'post graduate degrees'

you have a graduate degree.

they treat you like shit.

point is that america only pays lip service to meritocracy.

i know a few lawyers (only a few) that i will admit are better lawyers than me. if britain had made 'becoming a lawyer' a qualification that required post graduate training. none. read it none I mean not one of the people that i can bring myself to admit might be better lawyers than me. not one of them could have afforded it.

america sells education to the highest bidder.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 05:39   #3
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute

Is it not taken for granted now that to pursue a career in most arts subjects a student will need to study postgraduate? I am about to begin my BA in Philosophy, but there's no way I intend to finish after graduating and try and find a job on the strength of that. In actual fact it's likely I will need to reach the peak of my potential to find any career in the subject.
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 05:45   #4
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephor
Is it not taken for granted now that to pursue a career in most arts subjects a student will need to study postgraduate? I am about to begin my BA in Philosophy, but there's no way I intend to finish after graduating and try and find a job on the strength of that. In actual fact it's likely I will need to reach the peak of my potential to find any career in the subject.
when you say 'job'. when you say 'career' what do you mean?

do you mean a 'job' as an acedemic?
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 05:51   #5
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
when you say 'job'. when you say 'career' what do you mean?

do you mean a 'job' as an acedemic?
By 'career in...arts subjects' I mean a career that bears some resemblance to the subject studied at university.

In the instance 'there's no way I intend to finish after graduating and try and find a job on the strength of that' I mean there's little possibility of my attaining a post in an academic career relating to philosophy after attaining a BA.

edit: I've just realised that "and try and find" is awful grammar. Apologies.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 05:58   #6
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Is it not taken for granted now that to pursue a career in most arts subjects a student will need to study postgraduate? I am about to begin my BA in Philosophy, but there's no way I intend to finish after graduating and try and find a job on the strength of that.
Yes, well I'm not wasting my time on the subject of Anthropology anymore. It was fun, but it's time to move on. I am actually applying to grad school right now, and I should know what the deal is in the next few weeks.
1)I need to be accepted
2)I need enough fincial aid to pay for the education and food and housing (for one year).

Quote:
In actual fact it's likely I will need to reach the pineapple of my potential to find any career in the subject.
Fixed. Hohohohohohoho.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 05:58   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
I mean there's little possibility of my attaining a post in an academic career relating to philosophy after attaining a BA.
ok

so you are shit at it

despite wanting to complain about your abilities (lack there of). did you have anything to say?

(please read the above sentences that i painstakingly typed with my one finger before you hastily reply)
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 06:00   #8
Ephor
Monkey Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Yes, well I'm not wasting my time on the subject of Anthropology anymore.
Out of interest, why did you study it in the first instance?
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 06:04   #9
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Out of interest, why did you study it in the first instance?
Because cultural relativity blew my mind away. I've also found different cultures interesting, but now I don't feel that way anymore, and it took studying Anthropology to kill the joy I had for it. I switched to an emphasis on Archaeology which is more of a physical science, and I liked that, at least until I actually had to dig in the hard dirt under a hot sun. I quickly gave up on that too.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 06:09   #10
Ephor
Monkey Man

Quote:
ok

so you are shit at it

despite wanting to complain about your abilities (lack there of). did you have anything to say?

(please read the above sentences that i painstakingly typed with my one finger before you hastily reply)
In perfect honesty I wouldn't know yet whether I am good or bad at it as I have yet to study the subject formally. I can say that I have enjoyed reading texts in my own time and that I have generally been good at the subjects I have studied in the past, but I couldn't say anything of my ability in the field I am about to study.

Similarly, though I haven't researched the area as thoroughly as I'm sure you have, I know little of careers that are opened to me specifically having studied a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy. It does appear, however, that to continue my own personal study and research in philosophy into my career that I will need to take a postgraduate degree.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 06:16   #11
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
In perfect honesty I wouldn't know yet whether I am good or bad at it as I have yet to study the subject formally. I can say that I have enjoyed reading texts in my own time and that I have generally been good at the subjects I have studied in the past, but I couldn't say anything of my ability in the field I am about to study.

Similarly, though I haven't researched the area as thoroughly as I'm sure you have, I know little of careers that are opened to me specifically having studied a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy. It does appear, however, that to continue my own personal study and research in philosophy into my career that I will need to take a postgraduate degree.
aaaaah
you see now you show your wit.

i stated that your suggestion that you 'would fail as an academic in the field of philosophy If you only had a BA ' was incorrect.

perhaps you should instead explain the 'beneficial effect' of having a doctorate.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 06:27   #12
Ephor
Monkey Man

I applaud your persistence in trying to troll me on whatever line you spin, though you should know that I don't feel at all obliged to continually appease your ego. As such it may be better for you to drop this line. You could convince me you are sincere in your questioning if you answer a question of my own; why do you feel the need to challenge everybody on everything they subscribe to?

I suppose I don't really expect a response that will satisfy me (or anyone else).
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 06:32   #13
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
I applaud your persistence in trying to troll me on whatever line you spin, though you should know that I don't feel at all obliged to continually appease your ego. As such it may be better for you to drop this line. You could convince me you are sincere in your questioning if you answer a question of my own; why do you feel the need to challenge everybody on everything they subscribe to?

I suppose I don't really expect a response that will satisfy me (or anyone else).
this is an internet forum not a party

if it was a party i would say "do you like the fizz" and "what do you do for a living"

fortunately this is not a party

so we are free to just deal in ideas. (you could read mine if you want. they are up above this lot of text i now commit to posterity)

I actually like you. please try not to make an enemy of me.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 06:48   #14
Ephor
Monkey Man

While I don't wish to make an enemy of you or anybody else, the very idea of it seems farcical, I am offended by the line of your questioning. Throughout this thread you have attempted to undermine my ideas, not to 'trade' with them - you are patronising and act as my superior when I have seen little to support that notion aside from the projection itself. I don't mind being questioned if I feel that those who question me will receive my input with an open mind, but I feel that by answering you I am merely providing more wood for you to attempt to burrow into.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 06:51   #15
Yahwe
I am.

goodness how sad
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 06:55   #16
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
I am offended by the line of your questioning.
Don't be, I think you give us too much credit.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 11:05   #17
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
if britain had made 'becoming a lawyer' a qualification that required post graduate training. none. read it none I mean not one of the people that i can bring myself to admit might be better lawyers than me. not one of them could have afforded it.
I assume if you required post-grad training to be a laywer in this country you would be able to get funding to do it if you were good enough just like most other post-grad qualifications. If that wasnt the case very few people would do anything above an undergrad degree.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 12:01   #18
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

read and remember
read and remember
read and remember
read and remember
read and remember
read and remember
read and remember

this was yahwe's study. and he was the best at it.

KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 12:03   #19
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

No one's paying me to become a lawyer.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 15:23   #20
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Well today I finally got a job. I have an honours Bsc degree in IT & Telecommunications.
After 6 months of failing to find a job, I have today managed to get a position in Dell. Moving boxes of PC's from one section to another.
And even that I had to scrape, crawl and beg for.
I am temporary, for october.

This is what modern education gets you. ****ed.
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 15:39   #21
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
Well today I finally got a job. I have an honours Bsc degree in IT & Telecommunications.
After 6 months of failing to find a job, I have today managed to get a position in Dell. Moving boxes of PC's from one section to another.
And even that I had to scrape, crawl and beg for.
I am temporary, for october.

This is what modern education gets you. ****ed.
I've a Bachelors (with hons) in Software Engineering and I'm a contractor doing a job that involves no IT work.

:cry:
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 15:42   #22
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I actually like you. please try not to make an enemy of me.
Yahwe in "trying to threathen people over tha intarweb" non-shocker.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 17:14   #23
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i do nothing, nothing at all. i should have finished uni years ago, but i didint. instead i just sit around and do nothing. and no, i dont have the money to do that, but still, its quite enjoyable. im not unemployed, that would require that i activly seek a job. im just extraordinarily lazy.
I studied 'buisness computing' (at least thats how some english guy told me to translate it. its some mixture between buisness management and real IT, that means im good at neither \o/) and in the current job-market there is not even a remote chance for me to ever find a job. but that doesnt bother me that much, because, after doing some coding in php i realized a) that i suck at it and b) that i hate it. i did the same crap over and over again
so, at the moment i base my plan of live on winning in the lotterey (chances are 1/ (49 over 6) * 1/10 or something like that ) and never do a single hour of work again.

Last edited by wu_trax; 27 Sep 2005 at 17:19.
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 17:28   #24
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
No one's paying me to become a lawyer.
did you try the Inns?

EDIT: or are you planning on becoming one of 'them'? because surely those large companies of theirs pay?
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 18:00   #25
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

Daddy knows what he's talking about. You should listen to him.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 18:57   #26
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Jennifer, do you realise the link in your signature links to 'your own' (so in my case, my) wishlist rather than 'your's'? :|
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 18:58   #27
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
did you try the Inns?
I thought they only gave scholarships for the BVC. (Plus I still need to pick one, which is becoming increasingly difficult as no one can give me any differences between them at all.)

Quote:
EDIT: or are you planning on becoming one of 'them'? because surely those large companies of theirs pay?
Good God no. What do you take me for?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 22:06   #28
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Jennifer, do you realise the link in your signature links to 'your own' (so in my case, my) wishlist rather than 'your's'? :|
Actually, it used to work. Now it's a ploy to find out who wants to show me lurrrrve =]
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 22:22   #29
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
Actually, it used to work. Now it's a ploy to find out who wants to show me lurrrrve =]
I think it still works - It show's A wishlist, there's just no information on whose it is.
(it certainly isnt mine)
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 27 Sep 2005, 23:12   #30
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I see. If I log out of amazon "If you're not mr jones click here..." then I see one that's not mine...so I guess it's Amazon being rather daft.
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 00:01   #31
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
I thought they only gave scholarships for the BVC. (Plus I still need to pick one, which is becoming increasingly difficult as no one can give me any differences between them at all.)
well you missed out there! assumption is the mother of?