User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Nov 2006, 00:13   #1
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Say Good Bye Comdy

Sometimes, what I do for a living can get a tad depressing.

Today I took part in a sentencing hearing on a young man who waw recently convicted of murder and attempted murder in a trial which I presented.

The young man, Comdy Vang, was 17-years old at the time that he decided to do a drive-by on another young man named Herseng Vang. Both are Hmong. Apparently, there are a limited number of family names among the Hmong. This is emphasized by the fact that the driver of the car from which the shots were fired is named Nu Her and the driver of one of the cars in the victim's group is named Nu Her.

At any rate, prior to the trial, Comdy was offered the opportunity to plead guilty to second degree murder with the use of a gun which would net him 25 years to life in prison. At age 42 he would have been eligible to seek parole.

Comdy's defense attorney tried to talk him into taking the deal (you can imagine how strong the evidence was that HIS attorney wanted him to plead guilty).

However, sadly for Comdy, he had "found religion" during the time he was awaiting tiral. Comdy chose to put his fate in the hands of his gods (some sort of tribal religion).

Comdy was convicted of everything in sight and was just sentenced, minutes ago, to life without the possibilty of parole. This means that Comdy will only get out of jail if he dies, is pardoned or the law changes.

Faith did not set him free.
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 00:15   #2
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of
Re: Say Good Bye Comdy

Maybe this will server as a deterrent to others considering drive-bys.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 00:18   #3
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
i severely doubt it

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 00:25   #4
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

That makes me wonder..

Did the judge speak justice when he didn't take the deal?
Or would the judge have spoken justice if he took it?
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 00:30   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Congratulations dda! You've just improved the gene pool!

:\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 00:43   #6
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Am I the only one who kept reading Comdy as Comedy?
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 01:00   #7
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe this story can help travler find his ways.
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 01:19   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Maybe this story can help travler find his ways.
Well, he'd have to aquire a gun of some variety and then participate in a drive by shooting, discharging his firearm and slaughtering some (more or less) innocent compatriot in senseless violence which didnt actually achieve anything, first.

Alas, also in the story, Comdy only found God after he was caught, sadly this is not the case with everyone.
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 01:19   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Am I the only one who kept reading Comdy as Comedy?
Nope, I did too
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 01:39   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Nope, I did too
I did in the title - i thought this thread was going to be a depressing insight into the depravity of the human condition and the loss of humour throughout the world and its people.

I am glad that i was mistaken!
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 03:11   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Considering that the people carrying out these sorts of activities are the sorts of people who think it's worth murdering another human being over "respect" or some miniscule financial motive (in the scheme of things) I'm not sure they're the most rational of people to begin with. As such, I'm doubtful how much value a deterrent is going to have.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 03:36   #12
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
I did in the title - i thought this thread was going to be a depressing insight into the depravity of the human condition and the loss of humour throughout the world and its people.

I am glad that i was mistaken!
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 04:59   #13
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

How? I've never understood the vague deterence nature of justice for all crimes, if a sentence was going to act as a deterrant it would be constant and couldn't be plea-bargined down or in britain be affected by guilty pleas at certain stages. With the exception of certain situations, i don't think human behaviour is like that.

All that could be said is that Comdy Vang chose his own route, he is from his own perspective at peace with his decision. There was a non-certain possibility that he would be released in the future, his conscience meant an easier time in prison than out.
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 10:21   #14
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
How? I've never understood the vague deterence nature of justice for all crimes, if a sentence was going to act as a deterrant it would be constant and couldn't be plea-bargined down or in britain be affected by guilty pleas at certain stages. With the exception of certain situations, i don't think human behaviour is like that.
The main thing is that people committing the crimes don't think they will get caught. Thus the consequences of what would happen when/if they do don't often cross their mind.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 10:51   #15
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
I think it is; I bet there are quite a few people who have refrained from (eg) sleeping with underage girls or taking drugs because they think the potential risks are too high. SImilarly the currenty UK laws related to child-raising probably discourage some people from underage sex, and so on. I suspect the majority of people would quite happily commit large scale theft if they could get away with it (and then rationalise it to themselves afterwards).

Anyway, I dont see how the original post is depressing other than that the incident happened in the first place. Why is it bad that the guy got life imprisonment rather than 25 years?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 11:15   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I suspect the majority of people would quite happily commit large scale theft if they could get away with it
Definitely. Although I doubt the same applies to most other crimes. And that's kind of the point. If the punishment for armed robbery of banks was reduced to a £50 fine then I've no doubt the number of people trying it would go up 1000% overnight. People are presumed to rob banks for rational reasons.

When it comes to violent murders (even ones for theoretically economic reasons like gang-murders) it's not clear what sort of basis people are making decisions on and deterrence falls apart a bit. I find it ridiculous to imagine there's many people who would think "Hmmm, I wouldn't mind a 25 year sentence but 30 years - no way man!"
Quote:
Anyway, I dont see how the original post is depressing other than that the incident happened in the first place. Why is it bad that the guy got life imprisonment rather than 25 years?
Because there was a chance, however slim, in the 25-years scenario that he could have had some sort of productive life after being released. Now that's pretty much impossible*. Of course, given the state of American prisons the chance of him coming out at 42 as a healthy happy functioning human being are pretty low anyhow.

* = Well, it's obviously possible to have a type of productive life in prison but it's obviously dramatically less likely to happen. And if you're including "Having / raising a family" in that then it is actually impossible.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 17:13   #17
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The thread title led me to believe that Jo Brand was touring again.
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 17:14   #18
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
I think it is; I bet there are quite a few people who have refrained from (eg) sleeping with underage girls or taking drugs because they think the potential risks are too high. SImilarly the currenty UK laws related to child-raising probably discourage some people from underage sex, and so on. I suspect the majority of people would quite happily commit large scale theft if they could get away with it (and then rationalise it to themselves afterwards).

I said 'for all crimes' precisely for the reasons dante/stte mentioned, id tend to agree theres a detterance if you're conciously acting in a manner where the crime gives you a tangible reward, the cost-benefit analysis clearly takes place, but for other crimes regardless of whether its speeding or gangland violence a 'it'll never happen to me' type attitute emerges, perhaps in addition to a feeling the law doesn't appreciate the subtleties of your existance and hence you don't respect it to begin with.

Quote:
Why is it bad that the guy got life imprisonment rather than 25 years?
I believe in reformative justice, i can barely remember the person i was at 17, its a harsh thought to have to sit in your cell at 85 and close to death realise you don't even recognise the person you were decades ago but that you still have to 'pay' for what happened then.
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 18:50   #19
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I suspect the majority of people would quite happily commit large scale theft if they could get away with it (and then rationalise it to themselves afterwards).
Its already happening, MP3's, movies, software, etc...

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 19:53   #20
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold

Comedy wang and knew her. Has to be a joke in here somewhere.
Unread 29 Dec 2010, 11:04   #21
BeautifulMind

BeautifulMind is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly do NOT feel sorry for people like him. He knew exactly what he was doing. I believe all 3 were guilty, but it's sad how the system works that the backseat suspect wasn't charged at all. As for the driver, I didn't understand how the jurors could have actually bought his story, claiming that he was too drunk and didn't know how or why he rear ended the victim's car. Any drunk person wouldn't be capable of operating a car in such a way, as to rear ending a car and speeding off.

What's more disturbing is that they couldn't come down to a conclusion for the driver & now he's on the run. So where in the world is he hiding? God knows...and justice isn't served until the driver is caught.

All I know is that the victim's family will never find peace and closure. No parent should have to bury their own child, especially one who is in college and had his whole life ahead of him. This is heartbreaking.
BeautifulMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2010, 00:35   #22
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Dude, this thread is over four years old.

What the ****? You registered to post this? Seriously - go find a better internet.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2010, 19:23   #23
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

maybe its related to the victim
Unread 8 Feb 2013, 01:34   #24
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir.../ca9/10-17715/

I wish to know what the warden did. Why is Comdy upset with the warden?

dda... please come back and tell us.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote