User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 27 Apr 2007, 13:01   #1
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
Change or remove xp

Howdy.

Like most people, i do not like the idea of how xp works, and would prefer if it went poof into the dark. HOWEVER, if we are keeping it, atleast change it so you get xp for killing shippies, not just capping roids.

This is a wargame, not a farmsimulator.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 14:13   #2
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change or remove xp

I don't like the fact that us caths who self cover alot don't get XP for doing so, while at least for other races they can get ships/salvage.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 14:16   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

however, giving XP for killing ships means that "unneccessary" destruction of people's fleets is encouraged; eg, all the smallest players in the gal will as soon as they build ships receive incoming just so people can kill those ships for the XP (in addition to the stupidity of launching a fleet to capture 17 roids). Further, EMP ships dont kill, Steal ships dont kill, making it harder for Caths and Ziks to get XP. Also, "good" fleets dont really do much killing* instead, relying on weaknesses in enemy fleet composition to get through - XP for killing ships will do nothing to promote this.

Put simply, all your suggestion does is promote more bashing in this game. Is that a good thing? i'm thinking that it isnt.

*the exception is perhaps Xan, where blowing holes in the enemy fleet FIRST permits them to get through
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 14:44   #4
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Err.. have you played this round? Xan does no longer have many first initiative ships
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 15:16   #5
Bane
Shadows and Dust

Bane is on a distinguished road

The races have generally gone away from their ideals tbh. Like Terran firing last but being able to take a lot of shit (out of the damage dealing ships) except the pegasus but this doesn't happen. Xan strike hard, strike fast then strike first has gone out the window pretty much. Cathaar in a way have become like last rounds etd. Zik were supposed to lose a lot but then regain most of it if not all by stealing value. Only etd seem to be keeping to what they're about.

R3 or so - Cell/Elysium
Looong break
R20 - Orbit
R21 - Subh (Finished rank 58)
8 year break
R60 - ND -> Ultores (Finished rank 48)
R61 - Rogues

14:05 <Swing> I wear a cape and a burger king paper crown when i play pa
14:10 <Zwanstic> u also talk alot of shit
14:14 <Blue_Esper> you're a weird unit
12:33 <hone> oddr is where we send all the semi retarded and gay bashing ult has beens LOL
12:34 <hone> thats where u should be swing lol
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 16:29   #6
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Cant be that hard to make it so what xan and compares kill also applies to what cath stuns?.
Bashing?
The game now is simple: you roid, loose ships and grow.
There is no incentive at all to actually play it as a war game where you KILL your enemy.

Unread 27 Apr 2007, 16:37   #7
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
Cant be that hard to make it so what xan and compares kill also applies to what cath stuns?.
Bashing?
The game now is simple: you roid, loose ships and grow.
There is no incentive at all to actually play it as a war game where you KILL your enemy.
The balance of playabilty comes in question here the way i see it. Is it fun playing a game when you are the one that get killed?
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 18:03   #8
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Dont see the problem with getting fleets killed?
Its a wargame, half of it is attacking and rebuilding.

Atm its different:
1) defend & get xp (and resources)
2) Pod someone, get xp.

Seems abit weak to me

Unread 27 Apr 2007, 18:28   #9
Furbie_Fanatic
Dinosaur

Furbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the rough

Would be more logical if you gained 'experience' from all battles regardless if you cap roids or not. The amount depending on how well you did and the amount of fleets/ships present. But personally I think the whole xp system should be removed. My 2 cent.
If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

Dont Trust Anyone!
Furbie_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 18:40   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Surely killing someones fleet is still useful as it stops them going out roiding or defending other people's roids.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 18:41   #11
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

...If you're both in alliances that are at war...

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 19:50   #12
GrandAdm Thrawn

GrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the roughGrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the roughGrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the roughGrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the rough

xp is all fine, makes the strong planets fight each other instead of nap each other and bashing downwards.

actually I always thought of wolfpack as having been / being the first xp-style players in the game.

but if youre in for a change, thats okies, like it was proposed to be a multiplier for value, from 50% to maybe 200 or 300% depending on same ratios (average value/score of the targets compared to your own) as it is now.
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 22:31   #13
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

i would like to point out, once you have some. Its ****ing near impossible to get more XP.

I landed 5k XP first attacks.

9 Days later i have 6.3k this is from defending. Its crap.
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2007, 00:02   #14
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

that all depends on if you keep your roids, if you dont you dont gain much value and then you more easy can get more xp
Unread 28 Apr 2007, 02:05   #15
Pat
a victorian street urchin

Pat is on a distinguished road

this is supposed to be an intergalactic war game. To that end the main focus of the game should be on building up a hugezor fleet of ships as i imagine any respectable lord/emporer of a planet would in an intergalactic war situation. Xp should only be a mechanism used to stop bigger people hitting downwards, as opposed to a quick way of getting relatively large score gains. The game has become lost in silly intricacies (probably spelt that wrong) and that is why the player base is getting smaller. if you dont know the game already, why the hell would you bother to learn when there is f all actual fleet on fleet engagements going on? where do you get to fight? majority of attacks result in either a recall, or the planet u attack running its fleets? all smells a bit like the league of nations/UN to me. god know how to solve this, i leave that up to people who know what they are doing. perhaps the introduction of xp for individual ships if they have survived a battle? obv i have no idea about the difficulties in implementing this but it may encourage people to fight each other a bit more and stop n00bs from trying to steal my lovely roids. Theres my drunken 2 cents.
always been around, just never really been here

Last edited by Pat; 28 Apr 2007 at 02:10.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2007, 07:18   #16
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

People recall so much because ships are so valuable; not only their value in terms of score, but also having a fleet is the only way to get more score (and/or XP) in addition to defending what you have.

Thus, your fleet is your most valuable asset in the universe. So, crashing your fleet does tremendous damage to your planet's ranking as well as gaining future score (which your enemies can still do).

So, the only way to have more 'engagements' is to make ships and fleet less valuable to other activities, as then it doesnt matter so much if you loose your fleet.

The only way i can see that happning, is changing PA into Sim Planet, where you have to manage a diverse economy, and the military branch of that economy would only be up to 10% of your planet's value, and the major source of income cant be achieved through military intervention.

So, the only way to have more battles in pa is to make PA no longer a wargame.

o_O
Unread 28 Apr 2007, 19:30   #17
mathematician

mathematician has a spectacular aura aboutmathematician has a spectacular aura aboutmathematician has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
So, the only way to have more 'engagements' is to make ships and fleet less valuable to other activities, as then it doesnt matter so much if you loose your fleet.
Making fleets less valuable is possible without losing the wargame aspect of PA. Add more ways of combat, like:
- covert ops: already implemented in PA, make covert ops more powerful
- new covert op "incite uprising", makes some % of population unsusable for engineering
- ground combat: transporters which unload troops on an enemy planet[/indent]
- troops stay on planet and do damage each tick to constructions
- transporters have a chance of sneaking past the enemy's fleet
- geometry: add strategic chokepoints
- galaxies form a map
- you may colonize (a limited number of) planets
- fleets have a limited range
- or alternatively, something like a virtual planet for each galaxy, where you can place fleets, and target planets in that galaxy with lower eta

Last edited by mathematician; 28 Apr 2007 at 19:35.
mathematician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2007, 19:52   #18
Bane
Shadows and Dust

Bane is on a distinguished road

Real prob is when a person has the time to be active makes a big xp fleet of xan frigs and attacks. He may do major damage to someone and lose a lot of fleet but he barely cares and can just quit while the person who lost a lot of their fleet will have suffered a major setback.

R3 or so - Cell/Elysium
Looong break
R20 - Orbit
R21 - Subh (Finished rank 58)
8 year break
R60 - ND -> Ultores (Finished rank 48)
R61 - Rogues

14:05 <Swing> I wear a cape and a burger king paper crown when i play pa
14:10 <Zwanstic> u also talk alot of shit
14:14 <Blue_Esper> you're a weird unit
12:33 <hone> oddr is where we send all the semi retarded and gay bashing ult has beens LOL
12:34 <hone> thats where u should be swing lol
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2007, 23:50   #19
Pat

Quote:
People recall so much because ships are so valuable; not only their value in terms of score, but also having a fleet is the only way to get more score (and/or XP) in addition to defending what you have.

Thus, your fleet is your most valuable asset in the universe. So, crashing your fleet does tremendous damage to your planet's ranking as well as gaining future score (which your enemies can still do).

The only way i can see that happning, is changing PA into Sim Planet, where you have to manage a diverse economy, and the military branch of that economy would only be up to 10% of your planet's value, and the major source of income cant be achieved through military intervention.

So, the only way to have more battles in pa is to make PA no longer a wargame.

o_O
drunk again but here i go:

i dont contest the value of fleets, if anything the idea of giving fleets xp makes them even more valuable. But the unavoidable problem is the people and alliances are now too dependant on avoiding conflict. The only time it happens now is if u sleep in and dont recall (me this morning bb fr) or if someone does the same against you. This round we have seen shippies becoming cheaper, which means you can have thousands. This is a nice change but really its only a bandage on a sucking chest wound. The fighting aspect of the game is lost, we might as well be playing a game with a calculator as mathematics seems to be all that is left. Imho, make ships stats far simpler. maybe even introduce fleet interceptions. I.e a planet with incs can send a portion of a fleet to set an 'ambush' for an incoming fleet at eta 4 for example. The cost to the defending planet is that those ships arent there to defend roids when the attacking fleet lands, however when the ambush occurs the defending ships have full init (i.e those ships fire before all others). At the moment there arent enough tactical options open to individual planets, that is only available to alliances and thus alliance HC's. And when it comes down to it, at the top level that is about 15 people. The rest of us are just attacking/recalling and sending def. Where is the uncertainty? this is a wargame afterall, and surely one of the main characteristics of war is uncertainty.

(/making no sense and rambling now, i will post sober on this issue at some point)
and for the record, I think pa team are doing well with a really difficult problem (making lots of numbers interesting to real people.)
Unread 29 Apr 2007, 08:51   #20
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Maybe allfather and the rest of the wolfpack crew would like to read my suggestion regarding score instead of trying to start a discussion that was "undecided" for about a gazillion times now. Both sides arguments have been heard and no side could win an upper hand.

Last edited by Heartless; 29 Apr 2007 at 09:00.
Heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2007, 09:09   #21
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Yes, I'm wp hc, i admit it
We allied CT so ph33r us!

Unread 29 Apr 2007, 12:28   #22
Pat

sorry heartless, wudnt wanna steal your thunder.
Unread 29 Apr 2007, 13:11   #23
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

My main problem with XP is that it is easy for low value players to get XP, but harder for higher value players who look after their fleets.

The idea behind this ofcourse, to reduce bashing and help 'newbie' players. However, I feel that Appocomaster's proposed exponential formula in round 17 or so would have dealt with this better.

XP given was related to how much you already had, thus serial XPers had reduced gains later in the round.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2007, 15:15   #24
murder

murder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to all

I think the current XP setup is fine. It encourages hitting larger targets. Value is still worth more and pays in the end. I doubt you will see an XP ho winning the game.

If you want to discourage fleet crashing for xp perhaps a percentage could be subtracted from xp.

ex: If you loose 50% ships in an attack, you xp gain is cut by 20% (4% xp loss for every 10%ship loss)

This will nudge people in the other direction without killing a legitimate (yet questionable) strategy in gameplay.
Unread 29 Apr 2007, 15:21   #25
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Its a wargame, your supposed to kill your targets.

Unread 29 Apr 2007, 15:34   #26
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
You still can kill your targets.
Unread 29 Apr 2007, 15:41   #27
murder

murder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to all

Quote:
Yes we got that the first 10x's you mentioned it.

Bashing planets would kill the game. It would become a game of "smear the q***r" (i love that title)
and less a game of strategy.
Unread 30 Apr 2007, 12:32   #28
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Lately I get more xp from a single tick of ingal def, than landing for 90 roids
Unread 30 Apr 2007, 13:32   #29
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k
Lately I get more xp from a single tick of ingal def, than landing for 90 roids
n00b bashing again?! o_O

Unread 30 Apr 2007, 14:15   #30
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
You still can kill your targets.
I do, a few days ago i knocked 80,000 ships out just cause it was fun
But woulda been nice with xp for it

Unread 2 May 2007, 08:11   #31
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I would really like to see (And I don't know if this is popular with anyone at all) XP from defense based on how big fleet you sent, and how much effect your defense actually had on the battle. Obviously basing XP from attacks on the same criteria will not work, it will encourage people to hit downwards and so on. However, encouraging people to actively defend each other and take risks in their attacks, wouldn't that be the best of both worlds?

Unless, of course, they can actually figure out a way to implement Heartless' suggestion regarding score, something which would already be a lot better.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2007, 09:30   #32
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Then do it simple:
You get xp on attacks only if your target is either 80% of your size or bigger.

Unread 2 May 2007, 13:39   #33
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
n00b bashing again?! o_O

Probably. Did i bash you?
Actually, the only bashing i have gotten to do was defending (myself, surprisingly). All my attacks have only taken roids, bar one.
Unread 2 May 2007, 20:31   #34
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

hey all just want to make a quick note on xp this round. It takes more skill to land on a planet cap full roids with the person being more than twice your value than to attack lower value players just get yourself up to your max roid mining res. Unfortunately this is the by product when the game becomes more value based. Its a Ultimate Newbie said "n00b bashing again?! o_O"
Unread 3 May 2007, 00:56   #35
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan
hey all just want to make a quick note on xp this round. It takes more skill to land on a planet cap full roids with the person being more than twice your value than to attack lower value players just get yourself up to your max roid mining res. Unfortunately this is the by product when the game becomes more value based. Its a Ultimate Newbie said "n00b bashing again?! o_O"
No it doesn't. Hitting a 800k value xan is easier for a 400k cath playing for xp, than for a 1m score zik.
Once your value grows big enough, you have no chance but hit players on the upper value levels, which are more likely to get defence. Top value players don't even have the luxury of picking their targets according to how much xp they can get.
On the other side, if you are an xp player with an attack-only fleet and lowish value, you can still hit targets which give you good xp, and are less likely to get defence.