User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 23 May 2007, 22:11   #51
zokka

zokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura about
Re: Free Round 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopec
Do we keep on giving him new chances until he finally manages to come up with something balanced? With those fixes you mentioned above we might aswell go back to 4 races and remove xan alltogether seeing as we are heading that way anyways.
Don't get rid of Xan their great for noobs/newbies!
zokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2007, 22:27   #52
Dopec

Dopec can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokka
Don't get rid of Xan their great for noobs/newbies!

Or even greater for farms given their nature is to loose roids faster than to gain them, apparently.
Dopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2007, 22:52   #53
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

And this is relevant... how?

(Rhetorical question)
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2007, 11:28   #54
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Oh.... Really?

(Also a rhetorical question)

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2007, 17:24   #55
OlaTa
Friends and Foes

OlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to behold

The free round is tempting.
But it's nice to hear that there is another free round after a while. Shows that Jolt is caring a bit about the community, not only about the money
Unread 26 May 2007, 17:36   #56
voodoo
a pain

voodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond repute

not really. the shorter the rounds the more they can fit in a year, the more money comes in.
so trust me, the free round doesnt come out of the generous institution that jolt is, but out of the pockets of everybody payng same fees but for shorter rounds.
Unread 26 May 2007, 19:56   #57
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

You're probably wrong there. Actually Jolt probably couldn't give a shit. Actually, I doubt Jolt has the slightest piss****ing clue on what's really going around nowadays, they're all relying on what Appocomaster or any other halfminded monkey of the administrative team tells them.

Beyond that, it's just some creative mind (again, probably just Appoco here, as the rest of them are by far useless morons) whining long enough to Jolt for a free round on some ridiculous basis (OMG MORE PLAYERZ LOLOLOLO), whilst actually it has shit at all effect.

So, you can just count the free round as some kind of a pay three pay two with the lithuanians -effect.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 22:04   #58
WreCkeRer

WreCkeRer can only hope to improve

imo free rounds are always welcome....some players will leave because of vac/exams/etc etc and others will come back..id say lets stop whinning and enjoy the round
R19: [Myth] 9:10:14 Planet Rank: 620 || Galaxy Rank: 1 || Alliance Rank: 18
R21: |Lost| 18:4:12 Planet Rank: 861 || Galaxy Rank: 13 || Alliance Rank: 19
R28: [Orbit] 3:10:4 Planet Rank: 467 || Galaxy Rank: 40 || Alliance Rank: 15
R29: [NewDawn] 10:6:2 Planet Rank: 232 || Galaxy Rank: 18 || Alliance Rank: 4
R30: [Orbit] 9:2:21 Planet Rank: 617 || Galaxy Rank: 14 || Alliance Rank: 7
WreCkeRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2007, 16:02   #59
Facebeard
Beardfaced Pirate

Facebeard is on a distinguished road

Well, the fact that r22 is free has convinced me to come back to try it out, but i was never exactly significant before i quit after r7. But, judging from what i've read so far, unless there are big changes to make the game more fun, and less predictable, i won't be hanging around in r23. Some of the features seem overcomplicated without enough explanation (population, govt types) and others seem too boring or unrealistic (combat, ship stats). There are lots of new features and ideas that could be implemented to make the game more interesting, more dynamic, and give people lots of alternative ways of playing. To name a few without going into details (i'll probably try and see if anyone in suggestions is listening after posting this), things like trading, hiring out your fleet as mercenaries, selling ships to other players, and actually having cash available, not just raw materials. Anyway, i'll stop rambling and ranting.
Facebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2007, 20:39   #60
teqh
@ Gamer

teqh has a spectacular aura aboutteqh has a spectacular aura aboutteqh has a spectacular aura about

Im back for Round22 aswell..

It`s free and i got the time to play it, since summer holidays is coming up have to balance that tho :P

Hope alot of students and other ppl return to make a good summerround.

R2 [TE] [Legion] R4 [CELL] R5 [Elysium] R6 [Elysium] R7 [RaH]

R68: Faceless - Rank 6
R65: Norsemen - Rank 3
R60: Ultores - Rank 14
R58: Solo planet - Rank 35 (xp)
R56: Vikings - Rank 14
R54: Vikings - Rank 5
teqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 11:50   #61
Firestorm

I doubt if the great alliances of old will be resurrected.
Planet can get monotonous even as it demands a lot of player time.
The players that made up those alliances have had the Planet experience.
Most have now found something else to do.
This gives new players a chance to taste the game at full strength.
And it gives crusteh old vets like me a chance to see what my old life draining obsession has become.
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 12:44   #62
evilbaz
Wheres Wally?

evilbaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
And the people who quitted because it went pay to play are long gone now.

not all of us...

im back for the free round and i might stay on after depending on how much the game has improved or deteriorated!
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 12:46   #63
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Its more of the latter then the first.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 12:51   #64
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
Its more of the latter then the first.
As much as I'm up for people voicing their opinions if you're just going to post unconstructive drivel like this I'm going to delete those posts. Personally I think the game is pretty decent these days. The depth in old PA was always about playerbase size. A decent pax round with 10k players would be fairly cool.
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 12:58   #65
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Heh.
First they try and make the game noob friendly.
Boring, but fair enough.
Then they ruin stats, so the most noob friendly races become harder to play.
Then they introduce PA Sim with this new use of population.

How can this not be ruining the game?

Unread 19 Jun 2007, 13:13   #66
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

JBG has certain points to the fact that during the old rounds the larger playerbase definately came with a positive effect. Where I do agree with Allfather, though, is that more effort should be put into a better, more balanced combat system instead of these all SimPlanet features.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 13:14   #67
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
Heh.
First they try and make the game noob friendly.
Boring, but fair enough.
Then they ruin stats, so the most noob friendly races become harder to play.
Then they introduce PA Sim with this new use of population.

How can this not be ruining the game?
I don't even know what you're trying to say. I guess you're opposed to bash limits or something by your first point. Your second one is about stats, there have been good stats rounds recently, r14, 17 and 19 were all reasonable. I don't get how they "made stats noob friendly" though. If you're objecting to population, something which genuinely adds depth in a new area of the game you're probably best off limiting yourself to one-on-one games of checkers or something.
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 13:44   #68
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

They made the game noobfriendly, then they ad this latest idea from the local postsmokingsession about the use of population.
It makes it more difficult for newbies, whats the point of that?
1 step forward, 2 back?

Unread 19 Jun 2007, 14:48   #69
JonnyBGood
Banned

Involving new players works in a particular way, I used to talk about this in terms of development for that brief moment I was involved. You have game depth and you have surface features. The surface features such as population need to be sufficiently interesting and intuitively understandable for people to pick them up quickly. We can all understand the basic idea that assigning people to research or production helps speed these things up and this is a fairly simple concept. Then you require there to be sufficient depth to these features to give people different options and methods of playing. It's not even necessary for these features to be balanced presuming everyone has access to them for the whole round and they're not a series of one-shot options such as with government.

You don't make games "noob-friendly", you make them simple on the top, creamy in the middle.
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 15:04   #70
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Involving new players works in a particular way, I used to talk about this in terms of development for that brief moment I was involved. You have game depth and you have surface features. The surface features such as population need to be sufficiently interesting and intuitively understandable for people to pick them up quickly. We can all understand the basic idea that assigning people to research or production helps speed these things up and this is a fairly simple concept. Then you require there to be sufficient depth to these features to give people different options and methods of playing. It's not even necessary for these features to be balanced presuming everyone has access to them for the whole round and they're not a series of one-shot options such as with government.

You don't make games "noob-friendly", you make them simple on the top, creamy in the middle.
A very nice description for the game design rule: "easy to learn, difficult to master".
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 15:14   #71
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
No, it's just that, all the threads regarding race advice and tactics and so have disappeared to the database, you'll find them if you search with a nick from the strategy discussions (ie. put a search under strategy discussions for "Tietäjä", "Monroe", or "Ultimate Newbie").
Thankyou for your confidence .

Domin: Each* round i write up a race description that some people find helpful, however due to it still being possible** that the stats arent final, i'm waiting a little while as it takes alot of effort .

Also, the changes with population will also get a guide - i didnt re-do it from the earlier engineering because i knew that last round's (R21) introduction of population was only a first step for this round's implementation. Now i dont have that excuse, so it'll eventually be done .

Both of those will be linked on the Useful Links thread, once they're done, displacing the other threads.

Edit: btw, isnt this AD??
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 21:48   #72
MAsta_MArk
Welsh palestinian!

MAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to behold

free round + mass mailing = more returning players!

ive seen several people pop onto IRC and say they will play this round because they got an e-mail saying that it was a free round.
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 21:50   #73
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

I decided to play because i've finally got the time and will to play again, the free round is just a bonus but i'd still play if it was a pay-round O_o

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote