User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 15 Apr 2007, 09:40   #1
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
Why ****up banners?

Who's bright idea was it to setup fixed size for galaxybanners?
Personally this is my first round back where i cba to play, and now you cant use any decent old school banners cause some idle cnut means people cant figure out what size banners to have for themselves?

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 10:21   #2
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Why ****up banners?

Why not just zoom/resize them to fit, with black sides?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 10:35   #3
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Cause it shouldn't be needed?
And why when they first did this, didn't they follow the "size" banners from legion,virus,fury etc used to be?

Unread 15 Apr 2007, 10:56   #4
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Because the PA team is historyless and short minded.
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 10:57   #5
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Lets face it - PA is looking alot more slick these days, and letting people stick massive banners all over the place used to ruin a page. Majorly.

For anyone who uses facebook and myspace - why do you think myspace looks like ****?

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 10:58   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

From memory, this is something Spinner introduced in round 10.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 11:00   #7
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

So Arfy, your saying that the new standard in banners is much better then that of legion,virus,xanadu, fury etc?

They all had 99% same default size on banners, and it looked good.
Now the default banner setting is almost a square, it looks HORRIBLE.

Unread 15 Apr 2007, 11:07   #8
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

This is actually something that has boggled my mind when I've been making galaxy banners the last 2-3 rounds I've played. I mean, not the fixed size itself, I like that. But 500*375 is a bit too small to actually fit in everything you want in a banner without using a miniscule font, and it limits what you can do. 640*400 or 640*480 alone would be a huge improvement.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 11:09   #9
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
The aspect ratio is 4/3, which is the same as most older TVs. And the same as 640*480. It's no more square than either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Why not just zoom/resize them to fit, with black sides?
Because that's a great way to ruin an otherwise great picture (more so increasing the size than decreasing it, but still...).

Unread 15 Apr 2007, 11:35   #10
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

It's easily possible to scale images down to a certain max heigth and width, while keeping the aspect ratio, if they're too big. No need to stretch images, it's ugly.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 11:42   #11
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

500x375 is the size right?
Doesn't really matter it seems, cause no matter what I do it gets horrible pixelated.
It looks fking awful.

And flash?, who the fk was the idiot with that idea :<

Unread 15 Apr 2007, 12:02   #12
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
So Arfy, your saying that the new standard in banners is much better then that of legion,virus,xanadu, fury etc?

They all had 99% same default size on banners, and it looked good.
Not at all. I'm just all for having a max height and width. I agree its too small but personally I'd rather it be too small than all up in my grill.

As long as it doesn't extend the page width-wise I am happy.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 12:11   #13
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Well, no matter what banner i make it looks like its stretched from 40x40 px.
So, how come they look so fkedup?

|edit| When i went imageshack it looks ok (making banners for some people), but the host bildr.no ****s the images up, dont use it

Last edited by Allfather; 15 Apr 2007 at 12:17.
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 13:37   #14
qebab
The Original Carebear

Did anything ever come out of this except for 12 meaningless and lost posts in the great sea of shit that is the internet?