User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Dec 2006, 10:51   #1
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Huracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the rough
Interest-O-Meter (Wild West or Pirates)

Hey again everyone, it's been a while. So long in fact that I forgot my old login info and didn't feel particular inclined to bother keeping any of my old names anyway (Zorro). Dragonsjem let me know we're going to try to get the ball rolling again on the forums here and so for my part, I would be both willing and able (even in the coming semester) to DM a thread once again. The only question is how many people would be interested in what topics.

I prefer to DM more historically accurate threads, so that brings up two main settings I would like to gauge interest in.

1)Wild West - I did this category last time and quite enjoyed it
2)Age of Exploration (Pirates) - Historically this theme has had trouble getting off the ground, but it can be done!

I don't know how many people frequent the boards these days, but if you would be interested in joining a thread with either of these themes, post here. Please include any preferences you have as well (i.e. zomg I wuld hate to play piratz but i wud luv 2 play a cowboy). Happy holidays!
Huracan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 22:09   #2
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Huracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the rough
Re: Interest-O-Meter (Wild West or Pirates)

For anyone who may be wondering, the thread will be plot based and DMed whenever necessary and allow for substantial amounts of freedom for the RPers to choose their own path. More details if/when a consensus a reached.

Note: "historically accurate" in this sense refers to the setting, not the actual plot line
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 00:16   #3
Mad cat
The Dust Bunny That Bites

Mad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to behold

Well, if my memory serves me as it ought, I recall that I rather enjoyed the last wild west thing you did. I'd be up for another round of that. As for pirates, wel pirates are pirates, I would have some fun with that. So i dunno. I'll insert a prefrance later.
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 00:59   #4
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

I suppose I would be interested in either, though as far as pirates are concerned, following the historical definition rather than the media and myth driven pirates would become the problem. Not to mention what time period during the major pirate era it would take place changes the definition a little.

I don't think I would be that interested if we follow the likes of "Pirates of the Caribbean" and other such pirate movie characters then my interests would wane as a result. In regards to the Wild west thread, considering I have already played a character in it is a possibility though something new would be nice. Depending on how its put together I might prefer pirates this time.
Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 01:29   #5
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

Although I wouldn't be against another wild west thread I would much prefere a pirate thread. Especially if it's done historical accurate.

(and Zorro, the reason I mentioned the forum was for you to post interest in my thread :P)

* tiger uses the ultimate way in, trough the water pipes
* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
dragonsjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 02:55   #6
Huracan
El Chupacabra

So thats one (so far) indifferent vote and two that lean towards pirates. The idea I have for a pirates thread is still open to different time periods. I want to make the setting as historically accurate as I can (though I'm sure some inaccuracies may slip in from time to time), but there will be a central plot that is entirely fiction, yet still plausible (i.e. fictional characters and events mingled with historical ones, not cursed treasure and undead zombies).

So far I am planning for each RPer to take the helm of a ship as the captain for their chosen country. Ultimately though, it will be up to each RPer to decide what they will do with it as things begin to unravel.
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 03:33   #7
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

I'd like to suggest having some city settings like port towns. I'm not really up to captaining a ship, especially one of just NPCS. Could we at least have 2 RPers to a boat if we so desire so we can have some interaction?

* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 04:55   #8
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Any port that was around at the time will be accessible. Anyone who wishes to double/triple/quadruple up on one ship is more than welcome to do so, and for the sake of interaction and character development, I would highly recommend it. The plot is not dependent on where the RPers spend the majority of their time (at sea, in port, etc), so if someone was intent on establishing their own business in Santo Domingo, that would work too. The main focus is the era, and allowing the RPers to participate in the plot from whatever aspect they prefer
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 15:18   #9
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Pirates... yep, definately.

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 03:27   #10
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Then you'd better sign up, eh Hewitt. Maybe you'd make a good Dutchy, no?

(I've semi-signed up already and the boat I'm thinking of is kinda... empty. Y'know. )
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 03:30   #11
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

Both Darkling and I will be in need of a ship, so don't worry about it being empty.