User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Feb 2007, 16:13   #51
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Cannabis Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I agree with your point but speeding isn't subject to the same maximum penalties as possesion is it? I mean, in theory possession of cannabis can get you two years in prison. What's the maximum for speeding (which doesn't cause an accident) - 6 points on the licence and a fine?
If you drive stupidly fast you could be charged with dangerous driving, which also carries a maximum 2 year prison sentence. Obviously minor speeding offences won't get custody, but then neither will possession of small amounts of cannabis. (In fact, I've seen people get fined £50 in court for possession of cannabis, which is less then the automatic £60 you'd be fined for going past a speed camera too fast, not to mention the fact that speeding also gets you points.)

Quote:
I agree this is obviously a non-story and since Cameron has not been as vocal against drugs than some in the past I don't even view this as particularly hypocritical. Although I do note that the Tories want to reverse the reclassification of cannabis, which would mean a theoretical maximum of five years in a Crown Court.
Quite a lot of people support reclassification of cannabis as a Class B drug because the downgrading to Class C confused a lot of people into thinking it's now legal, and they feel a strong message should be sent out that it's not. I don't know whether this is what the Tories think, but I suspect a lot of the pressure for such a move is due to the messages being sent out rather than a desire for tougher sentencing (which probably wouldn't change very much in any event). The maximum sentences for possession are largely a farce anyway - you'd be facing an intent to supply charge long before you possessed anywhere near enough cannabis to get you 2 years in prison.

Quote:
Either way I hope the journalists who peddle this drivel feel suitably ashamed. I doubt they will though.
Something we can agree on at last.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote