User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Sep 2005, 12:59   #1
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all
Bit of a problem, please help!

Lo guys, sorry this may not be the place but atleast i know theres some far more intelligent ppl who read here than me so might be able to help

Basically ive just got back to uni on the uni connection and IRC wont function. Lets me load it up etc fine, but it simply wont connect to the server. I get this msg..

[12:43] * Connecting to irc.netgamers.org (6667)
-
[12:44] * Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
-
[12:44] * Connect retry #1 66.132.153.115 (6667)
-
[12:44] * Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)

Any clues plz any1? There must be a way to sort it but i have no ideas
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 13:04   #2
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts
Re: Bit of a problem, please help!

firewall on your side blocking the port?
The same time happened to my laptop when the firewall blocked out those ports, it resolves fine, then just 'hangs' on connecting.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 13:06   #3
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Mmm dunno, it worked fine from home without changing any of the firewall settings, dunno if that means anything?
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 13:14   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Have you been in the location/hall that you're in now before, and did it work previously if so?
It's possible the uni is firewalling "unconventional" ports - many unis run a "block-all-except" policy, where every port is blocked except for ones they know people need (80 for the web, 20+21 for FTP, 1863 for MSN etc).

If this is the case, you may have more luck trying to connect directly to FireFly, as it has port 8080 open which is often used for web access as a substitute for port 80, so your firewall is more likely to allow traffic on it.
To try in mIRC:
/server firefly.no.eu.netgamers.org:8080