User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Dec 2006, 19:21   #1
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold
ITT: You help me with the culture shock [London]

Before I insult anyone trying to get me coffee, get thrown out of a club and anything like that just by behaving on my normal MO, you could give me some tips on how I'm expected to behave...

First thing, tips, should I tip a waiter/waitress, how much is the normal percentage? I know you can't wear sneakers to some of the clubs, but what other dress codes can get me out of the fun? I know you're supposed to bring something when you visit someone's else house. I can't make fun of the Monarchy as it can be taken badly by someone, so I'll leave that to Monty Pyton.

Anything else?

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 19:25   #2
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: ITT: You help me with the culture shock [London]

Which nationality are you?

Depending on your response, we'll know how severe you need advice. I mean if you're like KoeN (dutch... god bless him) then you need lots of advice.

If you're Australian then you probably won't offend anyone with your chirpy manner and soothing accent.

If you're American then I'm sorry, there's little hope for you - although well done for at least trying by asking our advice
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 19:31   #3
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

I'm Brazilian!

Unread 12 Dec 2006, 19:35   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeeThot
Before I insult anyone trying to get me coffee, get thrown out of a club and anything like that just by behaving on my normal MO, you could give me some tips on how I'm expected to behave...

First thing, tips, should I tip a waiter/waitress, how much is the normal percentage? I know you can't wear sneakers to some of the clubs, but what other dress codes can get me out of the fun? I know you're supposed to bring something when you visit someone's else house. I can't make fun of the Monarchy as it can be taken badly by someone, so I'll leave that to Monty Pyton.

Anything else?
tips arent mandatory, but if you want to leave them - 10-20% is enough. Either that or round the bill up to the nearest £5/10 and tip the waiter/waitress the rest.
Avoid putting tips on cc if you can, as some places tend to short change their staff for tips done this way or put it into a shared fund for them all. Tips should be in cash if you want to be sure that it goes to that particular waiter/waitress
Dress codes vary depending on where you go, you'll want to ask a londoner for more specific advice
You can make fun of the monarchy if you want, just dont do it with people who adore it, or in front of buckingham palace
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 19:38   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Wear black shoes and some form of collared shirt and you'll be fine most places. Ask who you're going somewhere, and if you're going alone then check the website or phone ahead to avoid embarrassment.

As for tipping, it's not as big as elsewhere, a lot of people don't seem to bother. Service charges are included in with the bill someplaces so check your receipt. If people do tip it seems to range from 7-8 upto 20% (ish). As Phil says, only give in cash if you want the staff to definitely get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeethot
I know you're supposed to bring something when you visit someone's else house.
This depends on the circumstances you're visiting in but yeah, I guess.

Most people don't take those sorts of customs seriously (this isn't an episode of Seinfeld) so I wouldn't worry. Most people in London are fairly relaxed and are used to foriegn visitors with their funny ways.

If however the Metropolitan Police start running after you then...well, say a little prayer.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 20:24   #6
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

My fear isn't if they start running after me, it's if they start shooting....

Unread 12 Dec 2006, 20:26   #7
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

And yeah. Thanks to everyone, this will help

Unread 12 Dec 2006, 20:45   #8
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

To echo dante, you're worrying too much, you're coming to london dear not some city in the back of beyond. Foreigners are normal, you'll pretty much find a large expat population from most countries. Infact id say the average londoner had a better chance of locating rio de jinaro on a blank map than carlisle.

Tipping isn't mandatory, or even normal if im being honest. If you're given exceptional service tip that person, don't feel the need to leave a tip. I usually don't (and had trouble remembering when i last did!) if i do its 5-10%.

The only other advice is don't get ripped off by bastard cab drivers.
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 20:49   #9
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

thinking about it, the most likely place you will be expected to tip is in the mens toilets in night-clubs.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 22:27   #10
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Depending on your response, we'll know how severe you need advice. I mean if you're like KoeN (dutch... god bless him) then you need lots of advice.
(
true. but i'm learning the 'ways of the barbarian' quickly i must say.
i learned for example that in england, you can't tip a bartender because then he believes you're gay. (thanks alex).
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 22:42   #11
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
true. but i'm learning the 'ways of the barbarian' quickly i must say.
i learned for example that in england, you can't tip a bartender because then he believes you're gay. (thanks alex).
Yeah that isn't true...

I sometimes tip the barman if i think they've served me quickly or remembered a large order or done an otherwise good job!

Whenever anyone tipped me when I was working in bars I never thought they were gay either
Unread 12 Dec 2006, 23:48   #12
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

Oh yeah... Just remembered something... Never whistle at a bartender to get his attention... My brother did this and the guy went berzerk...

That is a common thing to do here.

*Whistle* Yo mah man! Give us a beer!

Unread 12 Dec 2006, 23:57   #13
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

The best tip to give a barman is to buy them a drink. That was the best bit of working in a pub over the summer (other than the cool people, awesome working hours and money. And the fact that it's the best pub in the world)
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 00:25   #14
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

don't smile - ever
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 00:30   #15
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
don't smile - ever
That's a hard one... Maybe the cold weather helps...

Unread 13 Dec 2006, 01:26   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
*Whistle* Yo mah man! Give us a beer!
Yeah, that sounds pretty obnoxious to me. Similarly don't shout "Oi, you!" unless the persons offended you or something.

If you're waiting to be served you wait patiently and quietly until you catch the bartenders eye and are served. I suppose you could clear your throat if it was quiet and he hadn't noticed you, but that's dangerously close to making a scene to me.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 01:38   #17
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

in clubs: move toward the middle of the bar, even if there are more people there, and when you get to the bar itself, hunch over it obnoxiously while waving notes at the bar staff. this appears to be the only you will get served quickly
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 01:42   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
in clubs: move toward the middle of the bar, even if there are more people there, and when you get to the bar itself, hunch over it obnoxiously while waving notes at the bar staff. this appears to be the only you will get served quickly
That or figure out how to become a hot, nubile nineteen year old model.
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 02:24   #19
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
Yeah I've always wondered why people wave notes in the air so the bartender can see them.

I mean, it's not like the bartender will think "oh good that means he has a note so I can work out how much change I'll need. I do like doing that."

It's not like the bartender will think "Oh wow look he has a whole NOTE of money! I'd better serve him as he's rich and important!".

It's not like the bartender will realise "Oh they must need a drink whereas the rest of the people standing here trying to catch my eye are only doing so because they want a friendly chat".

So why do it?

When I was a barman I deliberately ignored people holding money out for as long as possible, as I found it quite rude. It was a reminder that all we were doing was exchanging goods for money and I was the intermediary. It made it much less of a social job having someone wave their money in your face.
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 04:19   #20
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Pubs : http://www.sirc.org/publik/pub.html
(old if you've seen it before, but still a bit funny)

Also, read Bill Bryson's "notes from a small island" at some point
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 09:41   #21
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
I sometimes tip the barman if i think they've served me quickly or remembered a large order or done an otherwise good job!
"Yeah... good barman... good job... here have a cookie. Can you do another trick too?"

We Dutch don't tip... as a barman it's your job to serve me and you get paid for that already.
And perhaps if those bars weren't ripping us off with their overpriced beer then perhaps I had some money left to tip someone.

And no, I'm not a cheap bastard... I'm simply Dutch.
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 10:58   #22
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
"Yeah... good barman... good job... here have a cookie. Can you do another trick too?"

We Dutch don't tip... as a barman it's your job to serve me and you get paid for that already.
And perhaps if those bars weren't ripping us off with their overpriced beer then perhaps I had some money left to tip someone.

And no, I'm not a cheap bastard... I'm simply Dutch.
Very true. I tip waiters though, if they gave me decent service, but I don't see how someone handing me a beer across 50 cm of bar-length should make him deserve a tip.

Then again, I'm Dutch. We could clear our throat, once we placed our order whistle at all time making gestures indicating he should hurry up, and once we get our drinks, throw the note on the floor next to the bar and go "Fetch!", and still get away with it. We're not exactly known for being polite :|.
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 14:58   #23
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

Heheheh... Cultures are the funny...

Unread 13 Dec 2006, 16:16   #24
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

General hint: say please and thank you a lot. The British expect this on receiving change, bumping into someone, etc, etc, etc...

Clubs, bars, cafes: You go to the bar to order, except in some continental themed bars, and in which case they'll tell you so.

If you're going to London bare in mind it's quite different from the rest of the UK.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 16:26   #25
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
General hint: say please and thank you a lot. The British expect this on receiving change, bumping into someone, etc, etc, etc...
Unless you're on the tube, in which case look straight ahead, avoid eye contact at all times, and don't say anything, ever (except possibly "excuse me" in an irritated tone if someone's standing on the left of an escalator*, although even this is optional, and simply pushing them out of the way is perfectly normal).

*Don't do this.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 16:34   #26
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
So why do it?
Because, in busy clubs, it's quicker to take a note off someone than waiting for an inebriate to get his wallet out and work out how much change he's got.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 17:16   #27
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
Because, in busy clubs, it's quicker to take a note off someone than waiting for an inebriate to get his wallet out and work out how much change he's got.
Yeah but they're holding the note out before they've ordered a drink (as they're trying to get the barman's attention)...
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 17:18   #28
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
standing on the left of an escalator*
*Don't do this.
When I was in London I was amazed by the orderly escalator use in the tube. It's so much different than in the Netherlands, where everyone just stand where he/she likes and there is no way to get them to move.
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 17:20   #29
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
When I was in London I was amazed by the orderly escalator use in the tube. It's so much different than in the Netherlands, where everyone just stand where he/she likes and there is no way to get them to move.
If you're a couple standing side by side on a tube escalator, you aren't being romantic you are a pair of ****ing selfish nazis.
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 17:34   #30
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

Keep to your right on the tube ecalators, check.

Unread 13 Dec 2006, 18:26   #31
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
So why do it?
To indicated to said barman that you actually want to purchase a drink and are not one of the 2 dozen or so knob-cheddars who usually stand at the bar all night in acting like it is there exlusive right.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 23:33   #32
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
If you're a couple standing side by side on a tube escalator, you aren't being romantic you are a pair of ****ing selfish nazis.
qft
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 23:39   #33
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"[Britain] is a curious country and few foreigners can understand her mind"
Unread 14 Dec 2006, 04:27   #34
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I am surprised and disappointed by how many people flagrantly disregard the bar etiquette in my union nightclub, so much pushing and shoving and barging in front
We shall remember them.
Unread 14 Dec 2006, 11:33   #35
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

What's this bar etiquette you're talking about?

Unread 14 Dec 2006, 16:32   #36
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
It's all explained in that link in A2's post. It's supposed to apply universally throughout Britain, but obviously nightclubs are (wrongly) exempt.
We shall remember them.
Unread 14 Dec 2006, 17:34   #37
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
http://www.sirc.org/publik/pub.html
Unread 14 Dec 2006, 20:24   #38
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

Woah! That thing is deeply informative...

Thanks A2 and everyone else for pointing it out...

Unread 14 Dec 2006, 22:23   #39
Iniluki
Baron Samedi

Iniluki has a spectacular aura aboutIniluki has a spectacular aura aboutIniluki has a spectacular aura about

Whilst travelling up or down on the funny moving stairs we have at tube stations, always, and I mean always stand on the left.

Victims, aren't we all?
Iniluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2006, 10:12   #40
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Do not take pictures of red buses/post boxes/telephone booths
Unread 15 Dec 2006, 11:36   #41
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

I'll probably take more pictures od the pubs than anything else...

And Iniluki, you're too late. They already told me of the escalators and you're eviiiiil.

Unread 16 Dec 2006, 00:03   #42
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

most of its obvious....

smart casual will get into most places, dont use a big back-pack if trying to get into harrods ..( they will want to check it )

shirt, trousers, shoes not trainers .. bring a tie .. for most nightclubs (bring a tie cos u dont have to wear it when your in there .. but some will want you to wear it to get passed door staff)

on the tube .. dont travel at rush hours unless u really have to or want to know what a sardine feels like !

if u are using a back pack especially on tube and busses .. take it off and put it on the floor .. even if your standing.

if your oogling at stuff on the street .. walk to the far left or far right of the pavement, especially if your trying to work out where u are on your map.

if your really lost .. check out stores with door security .. they are more likely to know where u need to go.

Dont panic if u pass your stop on the tube - get off at the next station and go back .. another train will be along in 5/10 minutes mostly.

If your in *town* with anyone and loose them.. make a rendevous point and go back to that to meet them.(mine is mcdonalds at liverpool street .. at least u can get a coffee while u wait).

above all .. relax .. enjoy and have fun :-)
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2006, 01:02   #43
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I still believe there should be laws governing behaviour on pavements, in the same way as there are on roads.

Walking across the natural flow of walkers: $50 fine and a caution.
Stopping in the middle of the pavement, without due regard for those following behind you: $100 fine.
Stopping in the middle of the pavement, without due regard for those following behind you, because someone called your mobile and it you were so excited it overloaded your brain (already overloaded with the simple task of breathing): $1,000 fine.
Stopping in the middle of the pavement with your ten stupid-arse friends in a huddle big enough to block the whole ****ing thing: $5,000 + a Friday and Saturday night in the cells, even if the offence happened on a Tuesday.

I may have to draw up a citizen's charter on this, as long as I get popular support. Hell, this could get me elected!!

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2006, 01:15   #44
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
I may have to draw up a citizen's charter on this, as long as I get popular support. Hell, this could get me elected!!
policemen cost money
Unread 16 Dec 2006, 01:19   #45
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This will be a law for the people, enforced by the people.

Policemen can carry the perps off to the cells while the general populace celebrate by dancing around the burning backpacks of the guilty while singing 'Jerusalem'.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2006, 01:25   #46
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
I still believe there should be laws governing behaviour on pavements, in the same way as there are on roads.

Walking across the natural flow of walkers: $50 fine and a caution.
Stopping in the middle of the pavement, without due regard for those following behind you: $100 fine.
Stopping in the middle of the pavement, without due regard for those following behind you, because someone called your mobile and it you were so excited it overloaded your brain (already overloaded with the simple task of breathing): $1,000 fine.
Stopping in the middle of the pavement with your ten stupid-arse friends in a huddle big enough to block the whole ****ing thing: $5,000 + a Friday and Saturday night in the cells, even if the offence happened on a Tuesday.

If you include "Walking with a group of friends in a line across the entire pavement" , and expanding it to cover things like shopping centres as well, i'd vote for you
Unread 16 Dec 2006, 01:32   #47
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
This will be a law for the people, enforced by the people.

Policemen can carry the perps off to the cells while the general populace celebrate by dancing around the burning backpacks of the guilty while singing 'Jerusalem'.
they say that your ability to think logically deteriorates with age.
Unread 16 Dec 2006, 01:36   #48
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
they say that your ability to think logically deteriorates with age.
Is that why you're constantly going on about how you're 10,000 years old? It's just a big excuse for thinking like an idiot?
Unread 16 Dec 2006, 03:50   #49
.Disc.

.Disc. is on a distinguished road

people tip barmen and ladies because its a good way of getting served quickly.

i work in tiger tiger in Newcastle, and i get offended if ive done large ammounts of drinks and gone out of my way to make something very specific for some1.

Tip 50p or so after every round, and i will make sure to spot u out from the bar and ull be sure to get served 5 times as fast as some stingy bastard who is rude and waves money at me.

Also most waitors get the same wage as barmen, so i dont see why they should get tipped and barmen shouldn't, afterall barmen work longer hours, and two hours after ppl have gone we are still stocking fridges, cleaning bars, putting stuff away afterwards.

So saying "all as they do is open a beer and hand it over a 50cm bar" is abit insulting.

p.s Umberellas are the most annoying thing! i almost lost both my eyes coz of some bitches who dont care how fast they walk and who towards with a lethal weapon hanging up
.Disc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2006, 03:51   #50
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Disc.

i work in tiger tiger in Newcastle,

Tip 50p
??

tip 50p? in newcastle??

why? so that you can buy a house?