User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 10 Oct 2006, 20:24   #1
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Help Me! .. Music30'ies, 40'ies etc

I want to listen to fun, old music

I like a lot of random old stuff I hear, but I have no clue on artist names, what to search for etc ever.. genres aren't that important, as the best stuff from any genre usually is quite cool; and since I really haven't listened enough to anything, I have no clue to what I like.

Either way, presumably, the copyrights have expired, so there should be plenty of legal stuff to download, but I can't bloody find anything (even using less legal means).

Please somebody help broaden my cultural horizon and point to me legimitate site/torrents and/or just recommend artists. No need for it to be 30' or 40' though, anything classifiable as 'really old' from the perspective of an ignorant idiot goes.
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 20:53   #2
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Help Me! .. Music30'ies, 40'ies etc

I've been listening to quite a lot of Big Band music like Glenn Miller, Cab Calloway, Benny Goodman and the Andrews Sisters lately.
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 21:10   #3
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Vera Lynn
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 21:22   #4
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Ella fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Cole Porter, Duke Ellington, Irving Berlin, Louis Armstrong, Hoagy Carmichael, Frank Sinatra, Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller, Bing Crosby
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL

Last edited by Mistwraith; 10 Oct 2006 at 21:28.
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 21:33   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Carl Orff wrote Carmina Burana in the 30s and thats pretty cool.

Last edited by Nodrog; 10 Oct 2006 at 21:40.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 21:52   #6
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

thanks a bunch!

Listening to Benny Goodman, Flat Foot Floogee now. Fun as hell
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 22:59   #7
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough

You would probably consider this one a bit off-topic but i feel its good enough for a recommendation.

Listen to Jurassic 5 - Swing Set

Its not oldie music as such but its an old school hip-hop track that uses a lot of sampling from the era.

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 23:14   #8
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Swing Set is a pretty good song actually. It was one of the songs that inspired me to get a load of swing music.
Unread 11 Oct 2006, 03:42   #9
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I too am looking for some Sinatra/Cosby/King Cole/etc type stuff to listen to, preferably the classical hits but don't really know what to look for
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2006, 07:52   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
I too am looking for some Sinatra/Cosby/King Cole/etc type stuff to listen to, preferably the classical hits but don't really know what to look for
Why not just download/buy the respective "Best Ofs"?

edit: The Ink Spots are quite a good band (the music from Fallout 1 is by them)
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2006, 16:22   #11
Malice
not the daddy...

Malice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to behold

The Chris Columbo Quintet
Jimmy Smith
Dinah Washington
Fats Waller
The Nu-Trons
Robert Parker

so on and so forth
Unread 11 Oct 2006, 16:31   #12
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute

There is nobody better than Django Reinhardt.