User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 10 Jan 2008, 19:54   #1
melman
drty deeds done drt cheap

melman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Solo Play

Well guys i intend to go solo this round cause it has been about 3 rounds since i last played and the last round i played i had to quit halfway cause i moved my house. I couldn't inform my alliance about this and felt quite bad. Anyway enough of this history.

So can anyone suggest a solo play strategy with startup maybe. thanks in advance.
melman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 20:23   #2
Recluse

Recluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to all
Re: Solo Play

Go Terran, build BS, own nubs, rinse and repeat

Saver of Sad

Supreme Commander of The Spider Colony
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 21:25   #3
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

When I have gone solo in the past the key was always to find an active galaxy that would accept me. Then I would just play for the galaxy and try and target inactive galaxies for raids, or join my gal mates on their ally attacks sometimes. Going solo you must have good relations with your gal mates as they are your only source of defense. I would also recommend going xan and build enough distorter so you can fake attack most players. Would give you a shot at hitting some of the better players.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 23:10   #4
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Going solo is a fine tactic these days. Id go terran and build purely de\cr\bs. Its a safe way to have a smooth round.
Unread 21 Jan 2008, 14:57   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I suspect that this might be a little out of date, but...

Xan is a good race to play when solo, because its (usually) fairly good defensively. For many planets, its tough to attack someone who has (relatively, *cough*) early firing ships with high firepower (*cough* ) - at the end of the day, the ability of the attacker to kill your fleet due to the light armour isnt as important as the losses he'll take in order to get your roids - Xans tend to be expensive (at least for non-cathaar, and they dont kill ships much), and that means you're a (relatively) worse target.

On the other hand, Xan is a "crash or crash through" race, particularly when attacking. Playing solo means you dont have wide access to scans (at least, prior to #transcendency - is that still available??), and thus you have problems with getting JGP and/or Unit or Advanced Unit scans, making attacking perilous. Monroe suggested attacking with your galaxymate's alliance raids; they usually have access to good scans and scanners, so that's a pretty safe way to go. However, if you're Xan (particularly with Jammers), scanning is a waste of freaking time, so attacking is risky.

Terran is the opposite. Essentially, Terran ships (usually) have the sheer armour to land on virtually anything and the risk of loosing your whole fleet is low. At least, much much lower than Xan, where you can loose your whole fleet and ruin your round really easily. However, due to (usually *cough*) poor initiative and *arrrgh* firepower, you tend to be a relatively cheap target to attack - particularly if you're landing more attacks and getting roids. Fast construction time means that you can quickly gain Amps to scan for yourself, or Jammers to help with fake attacking (really easy for Terrans due to low ship counts). But the constant incoming might get tiresome, particularly if they're kill ships, and it might feel like you're "being pecked to death by ducks".

So, its a matter of preference, really. Essentially, any success you may or may not have depends more on your galaxy than your race choice, but try and pick a race that more suits your style of play. I usually go Xan, but then that means little.

Have fun! (tell us how you're going?!)
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2008, 11:08   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yes, #transcendancy is still alive and kicking.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2008, 13:05   #7
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

If you can get access to scans, then I'd recommend distorter whoring.

I played the first half or so of r16~ with no ally def and managed to keep some roids purely by massing distorters. Ended up with 145 or 147 or something.

Then try to get mates who will let you join their attacks, because mass attacks >>>> solo attacks.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2008, 11:45   #8
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

way to late to be of any use to you, but i solo'd into top 300 spots 3 rounds running whilst only playing half seriously

go zik, and have the ability to scan for yourself. spend like a couple of hours picking 'perfect targets' from sandmans. Whilst your doing that, note inactives, and go collect their ships. Have your ships constantly flying, whether in defence or attack. Any downtime that alliances generally have in between their attacks, is where the solo player can gain on them. Gain MoC position in your gal if you can, and run defence on your planet via the gal communication systems. Fly early, none of these stupid ass land at 2pm in the afternoon jobbies when u play solo!

Scan for your galmates, and scan for #tran
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2008, 23:26   #9
Crowly
Orbit HC

Crowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to behold

Xan, build fi only, 3 fleet every night, keep value low, don't bother holding onto roids and xp whore it up by hitting Ziks only (big ones.)
Crowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2008, 13:20   #10
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

yeh erm Crowly dont do that if ur in a freakin galaxy that wants to win

siiiIIIGGGGGHHHHHHHH

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2008, 18:10   #11
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA
yeh erm Crowly dont do that if ur in a freakin galaxy that wants to win

siiiIIIGGGGGHHHHHHHH
I'm sorry? XP play really is good enough atm.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2008, 19:54   #12
[ND]Byrney
Nobody

[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold

Xan fi aren't though o.O