User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 2 Apr 2008, 22:23   #1
cha^
King of EMO

cha^ is an unknown quantity at this point
Random as 6th Race?

Dunno if this has been suggested yet, but talked with quite a few people about this. And ye it's hard to pick race sometimes. So in my oppinion would be nice to be apply to have a "random" choise. So it would just pick a random race for you. What you guys think?
Unread 2 Apr 2008, 22:30   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Random as 6th Race?

I don't think it'd add much. Then again, it would be trivial to code, and I see no convincing reason not to implement it either.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2008, 01:58   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

"Scavanger" race.

Still, not sure if it would be the best idea - Eitraides is already kinda the mixed race with a little of everything. Further, that race could potentially be really powerful or exceptionally weak... thus you'd keep having planet resets in order to get the 'right' fleet to wtfpwn?

Also, how random is random? Must it have FI/CO/FR/DE/CR/BA or could it potentially have all the types of fighters and corvettes and nothing else? Wouldnt that mean that there are hard-coded classes that you couldnt target (like BA) irrespective of how much resources you had to build out of a problem?

Essentially, i'm asking about what limits to the "randomness" of that race's fleet would be, whether it would be 'fun' to play, and whether this would have balance problems for the other races.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2008, 02:17   #4
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

i think he just simply means that the game would pick one of the existing races for him, sov, not that an actual new race is added to the game.

and as mz said, it's a simple thing to add, however do we really need it? will ppl actually use it?
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2008, 02:24   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Ah, i see.

That makes it quite alot simpler then.

Unread 3 Apr 2008, 14:07   #6
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

lol, thats pretty interesting tbh, id actually probably use it, extending the idea further, i'd like to see random being the only selection available for everyone for one round, would be fun (obviously open to abuse people resigning up constantly but then again if they want to goto that effort...)
Unread 3 Apr 2008, 16:02   #7
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

for a free round why not
Unread 3 Apr 2008, 17:38   #8
cha^
King of EMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
i think he just simply means that the game would pick one of the existing races for him, sov, not that an actual new race is added to the game.

and as mz said, it's a simple thing to add, however do we really need it? will ppl actually use it?
At least I would since last few rounds the races have been in pretty good balance so hard to decide what to pick. And as far i've talked with ppl they would probably use it also, and ye wouldn't be that hard to add.
Unread 4 Apr 2008, 01:48   #9
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't mind having that option added but still, I'm surprised at how hard it seems for some to make a decision as simple as picking a race...
and between choosing themself and letting a line of code deciding for them, will they be able to choose ?
Unread 4 Apr 2008, 08:09   #10
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Kind of like bw, random all the way, no need to pick a race
Unread 4 Apr 2008, 11:03   #11
cha^
King of EMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
I'm surprised at how hard it seems for some to make a decision as simple as picking a race...
It's not that I can choose, but would be more fun to let it come randomly then picking some "overpowered" race.. Well was just suggestion and my oppinion anyway..
Unread 4 Apr 2008, 11:07   #12
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
lol, thats pretty interesting tbh, id actually probably use it, extending the idea further, i'd like to see random being the only selection available for everyone for one round, would be fun (obviously open to abuse people resigning up constantly but then again if they want to goto that effort...)
there would be a lot of resetting i thinks..people just dont like the idea of having their choices made for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha^
So it would just pick a random race for you. What you guys think?
I think its the most basic idea ive heard in a while. No reason not to implement it. And for people who are torn between all the races or just dont care, then its simple...just pick Random

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2008, 12:29   #13
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy
And for people who are torn between all the races or just dont care, then its simple...just pick Random
I suppose the only bad thing will be that people will go "well I got to rank xyz but I went random - that makes me better than you even if you did have a higher rank than me cos I was a different race to normal".

Think i lie? Just you wait .
Unread 4 Apr 2008, 16:26   #14
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

you could always tape race names to a dice and roll it and then pick that one! that way if you don't like what comes up you could keep rolling until you did (without having to do planet resets).
Unread 5 Apr 2008, 01:28   #15
Makhil

I second Zaeji, use a dice
1 is for Terran
2 is for Xan
3 is for Cath
4 is for Zik
5 is for Etd
6 do it again

kind of remind me of that well known story about the Nasa spending millions to develop a pen able to write in zero gravity, while the russian decided to... just use a pencil.
Unread 5 Apr 2008, 13:34   #16
cha^
King of EMO

Quote:
1 is for Terran
2 is for Xan
3 is for Cath
4 is for Zik
5 is for Etd
6 do it again

kind of remind me of that well known story about the Nasa spending millions to develop a pen able to write in zero gravity, while the russian decided to... just use a pencil.
Yes well it would have to be done that if you use random you aint allowed to repick, but after all, if you choose random why would you repick? If you know which race you want so don't use then, duh

edit: And there wouldn't be much work to add it to pick some race random
Unread 5 Apr 2008, 13:42   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Just to enlighten everyone's day!
Unread 14 Apr 2008, 09:16   #18
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe take it further and let the random choise choose your goverment and and possible newly coded/added beginners quests also. That will add some own challence to develope yourself tactically and possible change your views to the game. (It can be played various ways.)

alone the suggestion dont add anything imo.... you can just randomly click/choose race... dont see a reason for some extra buttons that do nothing really.
Unread 16 Apr 2008, 05:26   #19
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

Funny thing is that when I went to make an account this round at around tick 300, all I wanted to do was make the game choose a race for me, but then I just chose zik...

Id say yes to this

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2008, 12:05   #20
snoops^
p1mp

snoops^ has a spectacular aura aboutsnoops^ has a spectacular aura aboutsnoops^ has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha^
... last few rounds the races have been in pretty good balance so hard to decide what to pick.....
u been taking crack again cha^?

ReBorn-Fury-Wolfpack-1up-Newdawn-DLR-NFI-Apprime-

*CEO of the Forest fan club
snoops^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2008, 12:45   #21
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

I've already added this to the signup page, it just picks a race at random, no weighting of any kind.
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2008, 23:49   #22
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

Quote:
1 is for Terran
2 is for Xan
3 is for Cath
4 is for Zik
5 is for Etd
6 do it again

or take a 20 sided dice and use 1-3 for terran 4-8 for cath 9 for zik 10 for terran 12-15 for etd 16-17 for zik 18 for terran and 19-20 for zik and 11 for etd

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2008, 14:12   #23
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

i like it

If life hands you lemons, drink more tequila

After the game is over the king and the pawn end up in the same box

HA - asc -rdm-asc-VR- #ODDR - APP
Finally retired
HeimdallR is offline   Reply With Quote