User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 27 Jul 2007, 06:41   #1
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
return of the cargo ships

Would it be nice to have the return of cargo ships able to steal resources from their target ?
There would be 2 class of cargo per race corresponding to the pods class.
The cargo would steal from the mining production per tick.
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 06:51   #2
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: return of the cargo ships

Couldnt you have done an easy search for one of the zillion threads on the same topic and bumped it?
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 09:37   #3
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

If I had, you wouldn't have posted one of those bitching comments you enjoy so much...
Thank me
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 10:12   #4
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
If I had, you wouldn't have posted one of those bitching comments you enjoy so much...
Thank me
I actually happen to like the idea about bringing cargoships back, as i've said in the multiple threads that has been on the issue, but you obviously seem to busy creating your own ideas rather than to look for the various times this have been suggested in the past.
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 10:21   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Can someone explain the concept of cargoships to me? I didn't start playing PA until they were long gone.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 10:27   #6
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Means a ship that instead of stealing asteroids or wigging whatever else it normally can do steals resources from the enemy planet it succesfully lands on.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 11:06   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Right. Hasn't bankhacking taken over that role already?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 11:10   #8
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yes.

*shrug*
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 11:21   #9
The Wanderer

The Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Right. Hasn't bankhacking taken over that role already?
As I noticed this, I was happy to have this abilitie. Cause I noticed ,that there are no such ships anymore, too.

Cargoships where a good thing in general ,they had drawbacks too. But the biggest drawback is eliminatet by the eliminatet fuel cost.

To implement it in Covert Operations is a good idea. The game is not limited to the use of ships only this way.
In my opinion, the Covert Operations should even have more availiable options.

Speak my native language as good as I yours, then flame me again.
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 12:24   #10
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer
As I noticed this, I was happy to have this abilitie. Cause I noticed ,that there are no such ships anymore, too.

Cargoships where a good thing in general ,they had drawbacks too. But the biggest drawback is eliminatet by the eliminatet fuel cost.

To implement it in Covert Operations is a good idea. The game is not limited to the use of ships only this way.
In my opinion, the Covert Operations should even have more availiable options.

If Cargoships were introduced, having a fuel resource would be interesting too, because the cargoships would make your trip worthwhile if you stole enough resources as in fuel.
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 13:14   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Yes.

*shrug*
To be honest, structurekilling could be just completely left to covert operations, too. Cov ops could probably feature some more randomness in order to make it less possible or even impossible to be immune, but also to make so that you're not bashed the shit out of like it was this round. Possibly a low % chance or so to always succeed on a cov op no matter the circumstances.
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 13:52   #12
The Wanderer

The Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
If Cargoships were introduced, having a fuel resource would be interesting too, because the cargoships would make your trip worthwhile if you stole enough resources as in fuel.
Yes and NO.
As I said in the bring back the fuel cost thread, fuel costs were really boring. But, yes, at the beginning you can launch your fleets whenever you want.

Cargoships were a good thing in general, cause you could make a resource advatage above others. But only at the beginning of a round.

In my experience, they got more and more worthless the more ships were in the fleets of each player.
I have captured tons of metal but could not build anything with it, cause there were simply no sense in producing more ships, when the ships you have, are on the ground.
And I believe, that with many tactical playing people, the only thing that will happen if they reintroduce fuel costs, is, that the fleetsizes will shrink drastically.

I personaly, used Cargoships as "start up help" ,but discounted them completely after a while of playing and did a kind of early Fake Attack with them.

Edit: But I have forgotten that with the , for me, new possibilitie to exchange with the open market, this disadvatage is gone, too. In an emergency you can deal wirh it. So, Cargoships would be an idea to reintroduce, with fuel cost or not with fuel costs. But its in Covert Operations, and I like Covert Operations for the mood.

Speak my native language as good as I yours, then flame me again.

Last edited by The Wanderer; 27 Jul 2007 at 14:03.
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 17:12   #13
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

It would be more interesting if they stole saved resources.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2007, 17:41   #14
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

I agree with the ripe Cocheesee

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2007, 12:37   #15
AdmV0rl0n

AdmV0rl0n is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
To be honest, structurekilling could be just completely left to covert operations, too. Cov ops could probably feature some more randomness in order to make it less possible or even impossible to be immune, but also to make so that you're not bashed the shit out of like it was this round. Possibly a low % chance or so to always succeed on a cov op no matter the circumstances.
Why is it people always think its better to scope down every single thing to a simple form.

I wish there were twenty ways to go steal res from someone. So long as they have 20 methods to counter it, its all good.

As for bashing/stealing, its very simple. You put in some ratio, so that FAT planets suffer, and it slides downwards so the benefits make it less worthwhile bashing.

So if for example, someone stashed 100 Million in Res, they could lose 10%. Someone with only a Million would lose only 0.5% (all examples off course).
Unread 29 Jul 2007, 14:32   #16
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I like the idea of brinding back cargo ships. Not everyone has the ability to do a covop without getting a "Cov-op failed" message and with all the stockpilers around I think this could be really interesting
Unread 29 Jul 2007, 15:31   #17
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Were any of you actually around in r1 when we had cargo ships? They were terrible, especially for little players (which I was at the time). People would not only get their roids taken and their ships/pds killed but their resources as well. As a small player every time you were attacked you were dumping as many resources as you could into the gal fund, and hoping there wasn't too much salvage because cargo ships could steal salvage as well. It was a mess and most of the universe cheered when they were removed. Plus as someone already pointed out bank hack does basically the same thing with limits on how much and how often resources can be stolen. Unlike cargo ships which essentially has no limit on how often resources can be stolen which can be utterly devastating -- to loose not just ships but income constantly.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2007, 16:33   #18
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Then make them so they dont steal salvage?
Resources could be stolen based on same score to scoreratio as coverts looting does, so dont see the big problemos.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2007, 17:57   #19
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't around in r1, but was in r3...cargoships were still there, but used more as yet-another-frigate-class-ship-flak rather than resource stealing outright.

I certainly don't remember anyone complaining about them, either.

With as much resource hoarding as we have had the last few rounds, a cargoship that stole saved resources wouldn't be any more of a nuisance than SK's are--and would possibly open up some new and interesting tactics.

Not to mention having yet-another-(class)-flak ship

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2007, 13:32   #20
Tietäjä
Good Son

Structurekillers are only a nuisance if you're a xandathrii being attacked by eitrades battleships with killers inbound.
Unread 4 Aug 2007, 15:51   #21
Awake
Asleep.

Awake has a spectacular aura aboutAwake has a spectacular aura aboutAwake has a spectacular aura about

Cargo ships where great, I think it would be good to see them make a return!

Plastic Brilliance
Awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2007, 08:34   #22
csillag

csillag is on a distinguished road

Well, with the new production system, one can spend res without his/her value increasing. Therefore no point in introducing cargo ships again.

- retired -
csillag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2007, 05:30   #23
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

i m all for getting sleeping ressources.. wether it s with bank hack or with cargo ships..

as long as they re not use to bash to death a mid lvl planet or weaker..
as it s well known, top planets rarely spend their ressource.. as they got massive fleet.

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2007, 13:55   #24
Bowlsey
Lover of Cheesecake

Bowlsey is on a distinguished road

I think bringing back the cargo ship is a great idea. it adds another dimension to attacking. it could have a cap on it much like roiding does, so you can't steal too much. Having it not steal salvage is also a good idea. Would stop people resource hording and force them to spend...which in turn will push their value up and stop them hitting smaller planets... Although they can build horde to get around it....Still I think its very worthwhile looking into
=Break=
rd41-44 TGV, rd45-46 FAnG, rd47 HaVeN rd48-49 FAnG
=Break=
Rd55+ Ultores
Bowlsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2007, 04:13   #25
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Cargoships, in addition to capturing resources, also used to be (relatively) strongly armoured in return for having no weapons.

Hence, the "Yartrebo Cargo Armoured Frigate Fleet" of R3.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2007, 17:30   #26
hairypalms

hairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the rough

i agree cargo ships are a good idea maybe this can be implemented into my new race suggestion as their special ability, with just 1 race with cargo ships.
but... what is to stop people hiding their resources in production therefore i suggest that these ships prevent the planet from extracting the resources they would for that tick upon landing, and the attacker gains that tick of resources
hairypalms is offline   Reply With Quote