User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Aug 2005, 00:36   #1
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Here's a stupid idea...

I realise I've probably overlooked something obvious, but here's an insane idea to complement the attacking-orientated gameplay we currently have.

First, when roids are captured, they don't get added to the attackers planet straight away, but instead get placed inside the fleet that captured them. Once that fleet returns the roids are added to the main planet total and can be mined as normal.
Secondly, the planet losing roids has the option of a special 'retal attack'. This can only be set against a low ETA attacker (maybe 1-3 ticks away). This attack will get an 1 tick ETA bonus to the hostile (to a maximum of ETA8 FI/CO/FR/DE and ETA9 CR/BS, to allow for alliance defense). This results in a fleetcatch on the original attacker.
If an attacker lands on a planet that has a fleet is returning with captured roids, they will be able to take those roids based on how much of the returning fleet they destroy/emp/steal. Grabbing these roids as they arrive home doesn't require pods, although pods can cap from the defending planets main roid stock as normal.

This new retal system will have several advantages:
a) It's easier for heavily roided planets to take back a portion of their losses. Race weaknesses to a certain class (for example a Terrans limited CO stopping power) could be weighted with the ability for a Terran to retake those roids easily).
b) Good target selection is now more involved. Instead of saying "is this target is weak against my fleet?", attackers will have to consider "how good is his retal fleet against me?". Good retal ships can form just as important part of your fleet as defense and attack vessels.
c) Attacking is already very much automated and requires minimal activity. Prelaunching and being able to get a final scan up to 4 hours before landing means an attacker only has to login twice for an entire attack. Checking for retals after landing could make that a little more involved.
d) It helps break out of the standard cycle of "launch early morning, send defense early morning, check attack later, land, repeat next night". More effective attacks will be available at all times, rather than limiting people to unsociable hours every day.

The main hurdle I see is balancing fleets to leave them open to certan classes but able to retal others.
Unread 31 Aug 2005, 08:44   #2
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Here's a stupid idea...

I cant wait 9 hours to mine my roids :/ just waited 9 hours to damn get them.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2005, 12:01   #3
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Here's a stupid idea...

On a different sidenote it would reintroduce some kind of "bashing" and thus shorten the round length again - just because you ccould now really fleetcatch people again.