User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Mar 2003, 22:09   #1
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Refused Entry

Possibly the most influential Swedish author currently alive, Jan Guillou author of the "Hamilton" series and "Vägen till Jerusalem" (the Road to Jerusalem) was flying to Tahiti, and had to land in Los Angeles. He was then stuck in the passport check, refused entry into the country.

Now hes not even allowed to fly over American airspace. Want to know why? Because he has interviewed both Arafat and Khadaffi. Strange isn't it... now journalists aren't allowed to interview these people.

Source: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...272186,00.html

[I know, 95% of you don't read swedish... but if you are interested]
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 22:47   #2
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice
When I clicked on the title I thought this was going to be about butt sex. I'm disappointed in you.
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 23:32   #3
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Re: Refused Entry

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunga
Possibly the most influential Swedish author currently alive, Jan Guillou author of the "Hamilton" series and "Vägen till Jerusalem" (the Road to Jerusalem) was flying to Tahiti, and had to land in Los Angeles. He was then stuck in the passport check, refused entry into the country.

Now hes not even allowed to fly over American airspace. Want to know why? Because he has interviewed both Arafat and Khadaffi. Strange isn't it... now journalists aren't allowed to interview these people.

Source: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...272186,00.html

[I know, 95% of you don't read swedish... but if you are interested]
Last time I checked Sweden also did not allow everyone to enter Sweden. The United States, just like every other country in the world, has the right to deny access to individuals. You can argue that every Swede should have the right to travel to the United States, but your argument will not get very far. Swedish people are not citizens of the United States and do not have the intrinsic right to travel there at their own free will. I think if you do some research that you will find other countries where he is not allowed to visit.
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 23:42   #4
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
even worse, he's crap. I just read an article he wrote in english a couple years ago. It's a complete re-write of history with selective ignorance of facts.

oh and what's the deal with the (A Swedish famous male writer who has got Norwegian and French parents) that's everywhere? It's thrown around like it means something.
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 23:59   #5
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Writing crap like this probably didnt help

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 00:11   #6
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
Vaio
I could not even finish reading it when I saw the BS he was puting out.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 00:13   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Refused Entry

Quote:
Originally posted by Texan
The United States, just like every other country in the world, has the right to deny access to individuals.
I don't think anyone was saying the United States acted illegally. Of course every nation should (while we still have states, etc) have the right to refuse entry as it see's fit. Similarly, I should be able to restrict those who are allowed to enter my home.

However, some still might condemn me refusing entry to my home (say) to someone because they are black. Condemn me for this while at the same time recognising my very right to refuse.

p.s. I know nothing of this guy, and for all I know, he's a total twat who should be shot, let alone denied entry clearance.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 00:14   #8
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio

Vaio
that was what I read...I like his selective memory on how things unfolded and what the objectives were.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 00:39   #9
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
that was what I read...I like his selective memory on how things unfolded and what the objectives were.
thought it was, this guy should get a job with the Sunday newspapers in the UK, he would be perfect

I can see the adverts now

'Britain's brightest Sunday Newspaper The News Of The World brings you Jan Guillou with his new column - The Truth and How I Made It Up' on page 6 after the randy vicar shags choirboys and this week's soap star slapper blows her best friends husband stories

Vaio
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 00:39   #10
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

just had a thought, perhaps they refused him entry because he is a wanker

Vaio
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 00:52   #11
~  ~

i actually read his books.

oh mem'ries.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 00:57   #12
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
How american of you to turn the arguement around, re-read initial post and see that he does not dispute the 'right' to not allow this person into your country, but the reason why.

And I have to admit, its a pretty sh*t reason, one that undermines the whole idea of freedom of the press the US likes so much. Attacking his 'work' is cheaper then jenny, stick to the main issues.

Have fun.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 00:59   #13
~  ~

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
How american of you to turn the arguement around, re-read initial post and see that he does not dispute the 'right' to not allow this person into your country, but the reason why.

And I have to admit, its a pretty sh*t reason, one that undermines the whole idea of freedom of the press the US likes so much. Attacking his 'work' is cheaper then jenny, stick to the main issues.

Have fun.
Zing zing. Parra 1-0

the reason is quite stupid but the whole concept of freedom is lost on many Americans.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:01   #14
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Have fun.
Judging from his work he is no journalist, I don't see how 'Freedom of the press" would apply here anyway, the first Amendement only applies to American jounalists, not Foreigners.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:03   #15
~  ~

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
Judging from his work he is no journalist, I don't see how 'Freedom of the press" would apply here anyway, the first Amendement only applies to American jounalists, not Foreigners.
Which is why it is stupid. The whole concept of free press is that press is uncensored and uncontrolled, no matter what nation it is from. And if you were to judge the nation, why would you judge Sweden over for instance, Holland, since they are a bunch of weedsmoking hippies anyway.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:05   #16
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by ~  ~
Which is why it is stupid. The whole concept of free press is that press is uncensored and uncontrolled, no matter what nation it is from. And if you were to judge the nation, why would you judge Sweden over for instance, Holland, since they are a bunch of weedsmoking hippies anyway.
I don't judge. In cases like this the decision is based on a persons past history, if he was judged by his past to be undesirable then he would be denied amittance. It makes no difference what country he is trying to enter, they all do the same.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:07   #17
~  ~

Quote:
I don't judge. In cases like this the decision is based on a persons past history, if he was judged by his past to be undesirable then he would be denied amittance. It makes no difference what country he is trying to enter, they all do the same.
It is still the reason, the reason he is rejected is not because he's a convicted child molestor, he isn't a dope sellar, in fact he has no criminalrecord to my knowledge, no, he is a persona non grata because he wrote things the big US of A doesn't like.

That's a bit silly, isn't it, since "ya'll should know better".
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:23   #18
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

he's not welcome because he's known to distort or ignore facts to post "anti-american propoganda." It's simple, if he hates us that much, he can land somewhere else.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:24   #19
~  ~

Quote:
he's not welcome because he's known to distort or ignore facts to post "anti-american propoganda." It's simple, if he hates us that much, he can land somewhere else.
Last time I checked you let Chroetsjov and Breznjev in.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:28   #20
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:
Last time I checked you let Chroetsjov and Breznjev in.
*shrug* we just don't like Swedes whose parents are french and norwegian!
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:41   #21
~  ~

Quote:
*shrug* we just don't like Swedes whose parents are french and norwegian!
The plot thickens.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 05:20   #22
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
It is still the reason, the reason he is rejected is not because he's a convicted child molestor, he isn't a dope sellar, in fact he has no criminalrecord to my knowledge, no, he is a persona non grata because he wrote things the big US of A doesn't like.

That's a bit silly, isn't it, since "ya'll should know better".
They can reject him for any reason they choose, the US is not obligated to admit him. That also applies to every other country except his own, who would need a little better reason.
Shoot, even an innocent comment made jokingly to the wrong person could get someone banned from entry now.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 12:57   #23
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Certainly the US has the right to deny entry to anyone they want.

But its like denying a film director entry to Sweden for saying anti-Swedish things in a movie.
Idiotic.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 13:04   #24
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:

Have fun.
How french of you to not realise that when you are refused entry to a country you are not usually given a reason why. I suspect that Mr Crap Author just assumed the reason

I'm having fun

Vaio
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 13:07   #25
~  ~

Quote:
They can reject him for any reason they choose, the US is not obligated to admit him. That also applies to every other country except his own, who would need a little better reason.
Shoot, even an innocent comment made jokingly to the wrong person could get someone banned from entry now.

The reason stated is 'teh muppet'.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 13:11   #26
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
The reason they denied him acsess is stupid as hell.

They should have used "Sorry, youre a convicted spy", since this dude was found guilty of spying sometime (I cant find any good links, nor any correct informantion, but i know he's was a spy)
But, as the thing is, the reason they used is stupid, especially when they have a "good" one.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 13:14   #27
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
The reason they denied him acsess is stupid as hell.

They should have used "Sorry, youre a convicted spy", since this dude was found guilty of spying sometime (I cant find any good links, nor any correct informantion, but i know he's was a spy)
But, as the thing is, the reason they used is stupid, especially when they have a "good" one.
If they gave a reason at all......

Vaio
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 14:09   #28
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
Re: Refused Entry

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunga
[b]http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,272186,00.html
link doesnt work, i recognise most of the letters but they're all jumbled up and make no sense at all.